Home Security

Forethat

Buy plastic zip-lock bags, place the valuables (money, jewelries) in the bags, dig a hole in the backyard, and bury them.

Make sure even your trusting partner does not see you what you are burying there.

Okay, but what if.................

post-73039-0-46861900-1302848456_thumb.j

If you worry about your dogs digging up the ground, put a planter on top of the hole.

Why dont you put a big "X" on the ground and a sign which says "treasure buried here" or draw up a treasure map....:whistling:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe more practical advice would be to not let your wife borrow more money than she can pay back in a timely fashion. That includes gambling debts. :whistling:

Don't give any shady types a reason to come find your humble abode...

If that was supposed to be a joke I wasn't particularly impressed. Your post stinks of bad taste if you ask me.

Taste aside, it's extremely common among let's say a particular demographic (no need to state the obvious) to overspend and take out loans out as soon as they finally own a piece of property or an automobile outright (often for the first times in their lives) or two with said items as collateral at above market rate interest in a downward spiral of debt. It's almost like an innate instinct to return their financial status to the one (and in many cases worse off than) they were born into. You can't change your class status by simply increasing your assets, one also needs to change one's mindset and way of life.

:)

You people crack me up.

Our Forethat is asking for some good comments regarding home security, he doesn’t appear to be in need of financial and marriage counselling or assumptions about his wife’s spending habits.

So you lot who are concerned about Forethat`s marital and financial problems, get a life because no one is interested.

No idea who Forethat or what his/her problems may be.... I was addressing the entire congregation.

:)

OP- sounds like your neighbour had a rough experience and it's wise you consider how to respond. Home security is a serious issue but some of the suggestions on here are verging on paranoia IMHO.

I will leave you to decide what of the many solutions suggested to take and I will offer one more which is to call up your local Police Station and get a regular security check arranged. Mine come 3 times a day/night for a quick check and to sign the log book in a bright red police letter box which they mounted on my front wall. I doubt the check itself is that much use, but I expect woe betide any thief who makes the local BiB lose face and potentially money by robbing my house. Costs me THB 1k per month and is also a good way to get some BiB 'connections'- which may come in handy at some point.

When in Rome do as Rome does, My partners insisted that when I remodellked my house that every window was covered by steel bars welded in place, and that every external door had both a wooden and steel door. In fact apart from my kitchen which just has one steel door, every other room in my house is behind two steel doors. Naturally they are padlocked ar night.

One of the saddest cases I saw was a family that has died in a house fire. They had put bars on all the lower floor windows and the fire and smoke was such that they could not exit through the doors. Always install bars that allow for an exit option. Don't build a prison for yourself that prevents escape in an emergency.

Sham Tseng in Hong Kong is very famous for its roasted goose. The tradition was started by a couple of Chinese immigrants who became very rich as a result. They built a fortified house to protect their wealth. But,as in Geriatrickid story, a fire broke out and they couldn't escape on time because of all the securities. People in the neighborhood say it was the revenge of the geese.

How to avoid burglery?

Knock down the 2 meter wall, remove the motion sensors and lights, send the rottwielers on a long holiday, swap the Fortuna for a Vigo.

Stop advertising "The money is in here - come and get it!"

Simon

Are you really daft or just pretending? A house, ordinary Thai house, in my wife's moo ban was broken into a few weeks ago. Just along the village road opposite a shop. Plenty of people moving around all day. Neighbors' houses a few meters away. No fence or extra security. I am sure they would appreciate your expert advice.

I split a bottle of Blend 285 with the yam's every two weeks and usually once or twice a week my brother-in-law comes over and we get drunk and shoot beer bottles we throw in the river. It's common knowledge that a gun lives at my house.

We have a few deterrents ..... around 5.30pm we have the outside of the house lit up. Three lights across the rear, three street lamp types (Homepro) down one side. Four pillar lights at the front and three external lights down the fourth side. We have two 150w lights with motion detectors. We have a burglar alarm, and an external siren which can be set off from the inside. Our garden is not grass, but stones which make it impossible to walk on quietly. We have three dummy CCTV cameras and two real ones ...... and a dog.

Evidence of a dog, whether or not you have one, I think is a good idea. Buy a couple of plastic dog bowls and leave them outside where would-be thieves can see them.

PS .... internal chrome bars on the windows, which can be made to look fairly decorative.

Edited by a10ams

How to avoid burglery?

Knock down the 2 meter wall, remove the motion sensors and lights, send the rottwielers on a long holiday, swap the Fortuna for a Vigo.

Simon

Are you really daft or just pretending? A house, ordinary Thai house, in my wife's moo ban was broken into a few weeks ago. Just along the village road opposite a shop. Plenty of people moving around all day. Neighbors' houses a few meters away. No fence or extra security. I am sure they would appreciate your expert advice.

I base my advice on 10 years of living in Thailand. Never had any security, and never gave any indication of wealth (which is rather easy for me...). Never had any intruders.

6 years in Phuket - no problems

1 year in Nong Khai - no problems

18 months in Krabi/Ao Nang - no problems

In Ao Nang, I actually sleep with the front door wide open - never any problem

Of course, maybe I am just lucky. But based on the number of people on this forum with so-called secure houses who seem to attract burglars (and violent ones at that), I'll take my chances with leaving the front door wide open at night

Simon

Two weeks ago a friend of mines mother was stabbed 7 times and had her throat slashed at 11 in the morning well her husband was out getting lunch for them. The thief and killer was an ex employee of the family. He stole a wide screen television to pawn so he could purchase a new cellphone. This was in broad daylight on a main street. Businesses all around. The killer pawned the television and didnot even clean the blood off. This made me realize life has absolutely no value here, so no matter what you do to protect yourself , truly evil people will find a way around it. The victim was a 67 year old woman.

Two weeks ago a friend of mines mother was stabbed 7 times and had her throat slashed at 11 in the morning well her husband was out getting lunch for them. The thief and killer was an ex employee of the family. He stole a wide screen television to pawn so he could purchase a new cellphone. This was in broad daylight on a main street. Businesses all around. The killer pawned the television and didnot even clean the blood off. This made me realize life has absolutely no value here, so no matter what you do to protect yourself , truly evil people will find a way around it. The victim was a 67 year old woman.

Amazing Thailand ! unfortunately this kind of attitude towards life is very common, untill people will start to give value to more human beauvoir and not think that simply lighting up a few incenses sticks will wash away all their sins and crimes, there is not much hope.

Now please excuse me but i have to help my tree crossing the road, he's getting old and can't do it on his own anymore...

How to avoid burglery?

Simon

I am going with ... really daft and simple "Simon43" is doing a good job of it....The funny thing that has come out of this thread is that there a posters who are actually suggesting the victims are to blame because they have some "means"...or is it more of a case of jealously coming out....:whistling: