It'S Amazing How Much Cheaper Food Is In America Than Thailand

It's pretty cool how competitive American business is and how low the prices are. To the grocery store, prices converted to THB:

400ml Coconut Milk (imported from Thailand) 30 baht

2 Liter Apple Juice 60 baht

2 Liter Cranberry Juice 60 baht

680 grams Yogurt 40 baht

1.4L Pickles 60 baht

1 Huge Loaf of FRESH Bread that is 100x better than anything ever produced in Thailand 45 baht

1 pound delicious Swiss Cheese 180 baht

Young Coconut (imported from Thailand) 60 baht

When you go to the grocery store in the USA you have a MASSIVE selection of products and brands. When you go in Thailand, you have slightly more selection than a 7/11 store. I don't know how many different bread companies and loafs I counted. It must have been over a hundred. After spending so much time in Thailand I almost fell down. I am really not missing Thailand.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imported Thai packaged goods are amazingly cheap in the US. I don't get why, but they are. However, produce type products, that's another story. I remember seeing FROZEN (yuck!) durians for sale there for 25 dollars. I recall reading about buying fresh mangosteens in New York, five dollars per fruit, if I recall.

My wife and I were in the US for three weeks in January the first time in 5 years and I can say that many things impressed me. The two I enjoyed most were driving in sane traffic and the prices in the super market. Although I found the restaurant prices high and the serving enough for a whole family, no wonder so many people are overweight. Went into a Costco super market and I was amazed at the quantity and quality of food available and at very reasonable prices. Having just been to Australia and New Zealand I can say that the US is much less expensive a place to live. Not as inexpensive as Thailand but certainly not bad for the quality of life.

Prices of property have dropped to where they are very reasonable, in fact so reasonable we bought a 3BR 2 1/2 bath Townhouse for about half of what they were selling for in 2008. It is new built in 2008 and repossessed by the bank in 2010.Very well built and in a good location. We plan to spend the summers there and the rest of the time in Cha Am. We will be leaving next month for 4 months and really looking forward to it.

Still love Thailand but look forward to spending part of the time near family in the US. We will see how it goes, but we are excited about it.

BT

Oh God..

Didn't anyone tell you to employ a bilng....triling....multilingual gardener, huh!? If you'd only done that the prize level would have dropped by 40%!!

Jeez....haven't you guys been paying attention to the mumblings of the financial wiz-kid of TV, huh!?

Oh God..

Didn't anyone tell you to employ a bilng....triling....multilingual gardener, huh!? If you'd only done that the prize level would have dropped by 40%!!

Jeez....haven't you guys been paying attention to the mumblings of the financial wiz-kid of TV, huh!?

It is amazing how expensive Thailand has become over the past ten years. Part of it is Thai economics--raise prices during an economic crisis to "make money." Crazy strategy, but TIT. Housing has gone down in the US at the same time it has gone up in Thailand (at least in Pattaya). I think many visitors to Thailand and expats are not always aware of the actual cost of things in Thailand compared to the US. For example, a simple burrito in Thailand can be ten US dollars! The same burrito in the US can often be 3-5 dollars! There is a way to change this: stop allowing yourselves to be ripped off by greedy sellers!

Let's just face it - Thailand is extremely expensive in some aspects. I've been involved in discussions with forum members before and argued that Thailand can be both extremely expensive and cheap at the same time. But if you're planning to maintain the same type of life you had in Europe or US you'll have to pay for it due to the taxation on imported goods and similar. If you are willing to eat street food and dress in knock-off clothes; then Thailand is really cheap. Want to drive a European car, drink nice wine and Champagne and dress in European fashion; you'll end up paying a lot more than you would in, for instance, Europe.

What is interesting is that some posters claim that Thailand is cheaper in every aspect. I just can't understand how someone can make that statement, it's like claiming the earth is flat. Remarkable.

Free schooling, healthcare, normal priced BMWs and dire currency exchange aside, lots of supermarket food is also cheaper in the UK and the choice is huge. Bit crap the way costs have gone here in the last 10 years, though housing and eating out are still cheap; but at the end of the day, no amount of decent pricing would surely make living in the West less torturous.

If it wasn't so far away it'd make for a great and cheap holiday destination for Thais.

Your typical Thai tourist would still find it a lot more expensive - hotels, sightseeing, eating out, all that tipping! A great and cheap holiday destination for Thais would be Bali.

The convenience stores here in Thailand are way cheaper than in the US. However, I think that basic ingredients such as eggs are not that much different in price.

Edited by chops

If you live like you lived in the USA then yes it costs you quite more . If you live more like the Thai do then you will find things much more reasonable here then in the USA . Yes things have gone up over the years more so than I like but I can live a decent life here and enjoy retirment and not have to consider working ...

I agree that many things are overpriced, but some things are still cheaper such as;

Chicken!

I regularly buy two large chicken breasts for about 32 baht (a little more than 1 dollar), in the us the same weight of skinless boneless chx brst would be about 5-6 dollars.

When I buy food to make a meal, (usually chicken :) ) I am a bit comforted by this as in some small way it evens things out a bit :D

Im pretty sure i can compile a list of things that are cheaper here in Thailand. Just face it Thailand is cheaper if you don't want European style products and adapt a bit to the local lifestyle.

If you want to live like an American / European in Thailand your going to pay a premium. You will have to live a while in Thailand to really know what is where.

I see the prices in Holland on a regular bases (do a lot of Dutch accounting for clients) so i know what i am talking about.

Most people like to burn Thailand after they have left just to justify leaving so it feels less as a failure. Same for the people who stay here they burn their home country. But truth be told you can live a lot cheaper in Thailand as in the US or Europe.

But its quite normal that you pay a premium for imported goods here. I can eat a good fried rice with a drink here for 47 baht. Now tell me about that in The USA what you will pay in a Thai restaurant.

If you compare things you should be fair in your comparison.

Everything is a trade-off. It all depends on your choice of life style. I have always known I get a far better selection of fruits, veggies and other items in Canada than I do in a similar shopping mall llke Tesco in Chiang Mai. The prices vary, but the selection is better in North America. I can't speak for the UK or Australia because I don't shop as regularly there. I certainly know that Canada has a FAR better selection of cheeses, and at least at half the price of Thailand. I don't shop for fish or even eat fish in Thailand because I get so much better off our west coast of Canada. I also get my own smoked venison sausage for no more than the effort of making it.

However, that doesn't stop me from coming to Thailand and staying the winter there. I save money in my accommodation alone. I don't have to heat a huge home with oil and don't need to pay fuel for my big truck. Even when I travel throughout Thailand I can do it relatively inexpensively. A simple 4 hour bus ride is less than 200 baht. I can fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for 2000 baht. If I fly to Calgary (about the same distance) I have to pay 4 or 5 times as much. Just a simple 30 km flight from Vancouver to Victoria is double or more what I pay for a 700 km flight in Thailand. Fuel prices are the same, but I only ride motorbike in Thailand.

Then, when I compare the night life entertainment avaiable in Thailand to that of North America and it's no contest. Thailand is FAR, FAR better. For the price of a couple of beer I can listen to world class guitarists strumming their notes from the distance of a meter away. I won't even discuss the lovely ladies who are so friendly to strangers. That goes without saying. Even a place like Las Vegas which offers similar night life is too crass and in your face; and certainly more expensive.

Just face it Thailand is cheaper if you don't want European style products and adapt a bit to the local lifestyle.

Amen to that PLUS there's a hidden pro adapting to the local lifestyle if you ask me.

I once met a German guy who ran a bar on the beach at the Bahamas islands. He didn't have much I tell you that; a small bat with 10 seats. Drinks and fruit only. He'd swapped his entire life for the bar and spent his days chatting up tanned women, snorkelling and late night barbecues.

He didn't worry too much about the price of a BMW I tell you that...

B)

Just a simple 30 km flight from Vancouver to Victoria is double or more what I pay for a 700 km flight in Thailand.

30km flight!? Jeezuz you're lazy. I always believed 30km was the kind of distance you covered on foot before sunrise to get a fresh loaf of bread for breakfast in the outback...

:unsure:

Certainly western goods will be considerably cheaper in the west than in Thailand! But if you want to compare real estate prices, then you need to compare Oregon with, say Mae Hong Song, not Pattaya! To make a fair comparison you would need to compare Pattaya with San Diego or Biscayne Bay.

I would say that there are two things making life in the US cheap... and neither of them are good for the average US worker in the long term.

The first is modern agribusiness. Farms in the US, Canada & Europe are amazingly productive compared to farms in most parts of the world. This is partly caused by economies of scale (large corporate farms can afford to invest in equipment that a small Thai farmer could only dream of), and partly due to the fact that fuel and energy are still quite cheap (a modern farm is quite energy intensive). Whether this is sustainable is open to debate.

The second is that production of most consumer goods has been moved overseas. We can live comfortably in Thailand because of the low wages of Thai laborers and farmers. Americans can live comfortably because of the low wages of Chinese laborers.

Finally, you have declining real estate prices. Mostly this is a temporary market adjustment. Prices had been spiraling out of control for so long that they were unsustainable. However, the percentage of people who can afford to buy homes has been declining every generation for the past 40 years or so. The grandparents of most Americans could afford to buy homes near their places of employment, even if they were blue-collar workers. Today, a blue-collar worker is lucky to have a job, must less buy a home.

Let's just face it - Thailand is extremely expensive in some aspects. I've been involved in discussions with forum members before and argued that Thailand can be both extremely expensive and cheap at the same time. But if you're planning to maintain the same type of life you had in Europe or US you'll have to pay for it due to the taxation on imported goods and similar. If you are willing to eat street food and dress in knock-off clothes; then Thailand is really cheap. Want to drive a European car, drink nice wine and Champagne and dress in European fashion; you'll end up paying a lot more than you would in, for instance, Europe.

What is interesting is that some posters claim that Thailand is cheaper in every aspect. I just can't understand how someone can make that statement, it's like claiming the earth is flat. Remarkable.

You are so right.

Strange, because I was discussing this subject with the GF only a couple of days ago.

I was recently talking with my English, Dave on Skype who lives in Leeds, UK

He was complaining about the price of food for him and his wife. I asked Dave how much he spends per week on food? He replied, £60 a week (2,880 baht) it`s a disgrace. I said, hang on; I spend round about the same for the misses and me here in Thailand. Dave couldn’t believe it. And of course considering that in England there is a lot more choice and better quality foods.

Also social in Thailand, can cost more here then having a night out in the UK or in the States.

Yes, clothes and other goods can be much cheaper here, but usually the quality is crap and they don’t last. I am forever replacing leaky taps and plumbing, buying new clothes and electrical appliances.

Some good points are that unlike in the UK we are not faced with huge electric, gas, water, house tax and utility bills.

But Thailand certainly is not cheap anymore. I wonder how cost of living in other countries such as, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and the Philippines compare with Thailand?

All of the items you listed are imports and yes they are more expensive. I've tried to adapt and try local fruits and veggis and they are cheaper. Compare the FLAVOR of local Thai food and consider the value. I fell in love with pineapple and watermellon in Thailand and fell out of love back in the states.

If you paid half price for a home in the US vs 2008 than you are still looking at another 15 - 20% drop in real estate value. Everything is more expensive in the US, housing, auto maint, electric, Now they have cameras everywhere and so you might as well add the cost of fines for driving. Auto insurance and medical cost are unreal. Here I can afford to self insure and I think the medical care here is much much better than the average hospital in the US. I've never walked out of a resturant for dinner without a $80 bill without drinks. The excellent buffet at Cherry's is $10 per person. If you have so have something repaired it is cheaper in Thailand.

My lifestyle is about the same as when we were living in the US since we moved back in Dec. My wife tracks every baht and were about 6-8% less overall living here. We also are getting some equity growth on or home which won't be happening in the US for a decade.

To really be fair you have to compare the TOTAL cost here vs the US for the same lifestyle.

Edited by Schooner

This guy must be shopping at Malrp or even better Super Cheap! Hava a go at Villa Market. Of well, one must remember to look at the big picture. Here is an example: The dollar is in the dump so I get less for my moneyh,( which the post did account for???) but the stock market is going up up up.. My broker now has me on a program where my income is adjusted for inflation and the dumpy dollar so I just go about 50K of the huge profit I made in the market in the Q1 2011. Big picture guys. I'm sure some folks are loosing out and some are not. But, hasen't there always been haves and have nots. I defenitly see the pince, and infact go to Sujper Cheap once a month. I bought a BIG new 25 qft fridge at Home Pro, on sale cause people aren't buying. I did a little number crunching and the 19K TBR reefer has paid for it self in 2 months.... Food is up but other things, that I can't/won't mention are down!!!!!!!!!!

Do a little planning etc. I believe that the slowing market for condos on Phuket combined with the soon to be exedous of Farang do to the high cost of living will offfer a boom market for the buyers, by the endo ow the year.

Just face it Thailand is cheaper if you don't want European style products and adapt a bit to the local lifestyle.

It is also cheaper if you eat a certain amount of cheap Thai food and live in a cheap, comfortable room and only eat Western food some of the time.

I am perfectly happy living this way and It is almost impossible to get a comfortable room for 5,000 baht per month or a healthy 30 baht meal back home in Farangland.

Just a simple 30 km flight from Vancouver to Victoria is double or more what I pay for a 700 km flight in Thailand.

30km flight!? Jeezuz you're lazy. I always believed 30km was the kind of distance you covered on foot before sunrise to get a fresh loaf of bread for breakfast in the outback...

:unsure:

It is, but that 30 km is all cold ocean water that will kill you from hypothermia after being immersed for more than an hour. I live on a big island, and ferries only travel during the day, and only every 2 hours. I only take the plane if it's after the last sailing or when I'm in a hurry. I've taken my own boat a few times, but not after coming back from Thailand. Sometimes it's taken me as long to get to my island as it does to fly to Japan. Long weekend ferry lineups are terrible and sometimes travelers wait over 7 hours before boarding a ferry... which then take another 2 hours to get to the island. I refuse to travel on long weekends.

It is also cheaper if you eat a certain amount of cheap Thai food and live in a cheap, comfortable room and only eat Western food some of the time.

I am perfectly happy living this way and It is almost impossible to get a comfortable room for 5,000 baht per month or a healthy 30 baht meal back home in Farangland.

True that, My son is renovating the home he just bought in Victoria and he's putting in a basement suite he hopes will subsidize his 15 million baht mortgage. He expects to get about 30,000 baht a month rent... which is the going rate in Victoria. Victoria is on Vancouver Island and it's the same size as Chiang Mai.

A loaf of multigrain bread in a Canadian supermarket is about 90 baht. Oranges average about 150 baht a pound. Out of season Apples average about 350 baht a pound. Bananas average about 130 baht a pound. Eggs are 900 to 1000 baht a dozen.

Edited by sbk

I spend quite a bit on food because i have special requirements because i sport a lot. But its still loads cheaper then in Holland. Don't even get me started on the prices of housing. I don't need all those European style foods. Once in a while i go to sizzler with my gf or go to an Oisy bufet and im pretty sure that is lots cheaper as in Holland.

I buy nice body-glove clothes because they fit my figure better as those cheap 100bt t shirts. Stil on average i pay less then if i had to pay those t shirts in Holland. Don't even get me started on my electricity bill not even worth mentioning. I don't open the air con all day, just at nights and when i go training in my gym room. During the day i use a fan. If its real hot i could use an air conditioning.

Some imported fresh fruits are indeed real expensive but why not eat the local fruit. Its just as great. I would not even eat pineapple where i came from because it would taste like crap. Mango same story.

Its so simple buy local products and adapt to the country where you live. I remember my Thai wife buying all the Thai foods in Holland it was also lots more expensive.

People will say how expensive some Bangkok locations are to live.. now go to the center of Amsterdam of London and im sure you will pay a premium too.

Many people are just not suited to live in an other country because they want it both ways. The charm of Thailand while eating and buying the same as home.

Let us not forget all the taxes for collecting garbage.. water management and governments. Yes schools are cheaper.. however you pay tax from your salary to support those cheaper schools.

I love this country i complain about it a lot too but lets be fair when comparing things.