Home Food

cmjantje

Well... we have our CP now with lots of farang food. My question is, what food do you really miss here in CR, food you loved so much in your home country?

I am Dutch and give you my list:

Raw Herring

Smoked eel

The small Dutch shrimps

The real farmers cheese

Witloof chicory

Real fresh Brussels sprouts

Real fresh Big mussels

This is my main list... what is yours?

- Meat pies

- Vegemite

- Sushi - haven't had any decent sushi in SE Asia, but especially in CR. I think we are too far from the the coast to get good fresh seafood. And even further away from cold water where I think most sushi fish come from ...

The couple of times I've tried sushi in Thailand you could tell the fish had been frozen. It had that powdery soft texture that happens when you freeze fish.

- Range and variety of beers. You can usually have the choice of Leo, Chang or Singha, which all taste pretty much the same once you pour it over ice anyway. I miss Coopers, James Squire, Mountain Goat and Little Creatures in particular

Edited by Riggi

Food wise nothing I can't get here and they are pretty basic anyway.

A few condiments for when I am cooking which is once a month, so a few but we get by.

Bodywise you can see I love my food but I figure I am here so I eat what the boss cooks

and love it or what we buy in the road side reastaurants etc.

Edited by raylo

Cheese ! Blue Cheese, Green Cheese, Tasty Cheese!

Gorgonzola, Cambozola .............................................

The Castello Blue Cheese I found first day in Tops was very good ! I wonder when it is back in the counter again?

:o:ermm::unsure:

If you can eat raw Herrings :bah: then Isaan will be your heaven. :)

(miss my (out of the fridge) Garners pickled onions. :licklips:)

I don't know.

They don't have the sour herring from Sweden.

There is a lot of other uncooked stuff that my mrs eats that would come very close. :D

The guy in the film reminds me of ME on a few occasions. :huh:

Edited by transam

If you can eat raw Herrings :bah: then Isaan will be your heaven. :)

(miss my (out of the fridge) Garners pickled onions. :licklips:)

I don't know.

They don't have the sour herring from Sweden.

There is a lot of other uncooked stuff that my mrs eats that would come very close. :D

The guy in the film reminds me of ME on a few occasions. :huh:

I am with the guys in the video and transam. My stomache does flips watching and thinking about it.

Remember the bravest person in the history of world gourmet was supposed to be the first one to eat a fresh raw oyster. These days there are alot

more things considered worse that are eaten in the name of regional gastric delights.

I will stick with a large selection but more bit more basic.

I used to miss appelmoes (I am Dutch too) but since the new Tops we have that in the fridge. Imagine my daughters face!!!!!!!!!

And it is SOO easy to make it yourself! PM Me for a a good recept

I have developed a craving for smoked oysters ... seen them on the shelves anywhere?

They are available in the New Tops , priced about 100 bht up ,they come in a tin . There are also many varieties of herring in tins also .

and kippers (smoked herring) in the freezer there. Hey leave some for me!

Being from the Republic of Texas...I guess that is a part of the south....I miss grits (polenta made from corn meal, which is available here is real close to that), REAL bar-b-que ( I do this quite well myself, but would enjoy going out for it), peaches, figs, pecans, sausage, vanilla wafers, venison, easily obtainable beef, microbrews (not really a Texas thing, though), tex-mex food (although I do and can make that here, myself...I do enjoy Kays at the night bizarre, though) real pizza (but that will be solved soon, as I am going to build a pizza oven), fresh oysters and seafood in general (lots of fish here as well as fresh water shrimp). I have noticed that my ingestion of prepared (read heavily processed) foods here is at an all time low, which it a really good thing. Having said all of that, I did have a crocodile omelet last night, something I could probably not get anywhere else, easy. Bon appetit...ett

I Mostly miss Fresh North Sea Haddock from the local Chippie, closely followed by a nice piece of Lemon Sole straight from the fishing vessels, I think the fish available in the resteraunts here doesn't come close to these for taste, with the exception of a nice grilled Sea Bass

I Mostly miss Fresh North Sea Haddock from the local Chippie, closely followed by a nice piece of Lemon Sole straight from the fishing vessels, I think the fish available in the resteraunts here doesn't come close to these for taste, with the exception of a nice grilled Sea Bass

Fozen Cod and Haddock Fillets available at Tops, 800bht per pack of 2 fillets I think. Not expensive for some , but if you buy some invite me :D

Fozen Cod and Haddock Fillets available at Tops, 800bht per pack of 2 fillets I think. Not expensive for some , but if you buy some invite me :D

How you want it cooked? Bought already at Makro!

How you want it cooked? Bought already at Makro!

zen

Hmmm,,, maybe I'll give that a try,, which Topps/Makro store did you find them sold in??, although some fish don't quite taste as good after they've been frozen, and Haddock is usually one of those,,,,,, unless they have been frozen at source aboard the fishing vessel,, frozen haddock are great in a fish soup though,,,,made with carnation milk, onions and potatoes,,

cheers guys

Being from the Republic of Texas...I guess that is a part of the south....I miss grits (polenta made from corn meal, which is available here is real close to that), REAL bar-b-que ( I do this quite well myself, but would enjoy going out for it), peaches, figs, pecans, sausage, vanilla wafers, venison, easily obtainable beef, microbrews (not really a Texas thing, though), tex-mex food (although I do and can make that here, myself...I do enjoy Kays at the night bizarre, though) real pizza (but that will be solved soon, as I am going to build a pizza oven), fresh oysters and seafood in general (lots of fish here as well as fresh water shrimp). I have noticed that my ingestion of prepared (read heavily processed) foods here is at an all time low, which it a really good thing. Having said all of that, I did have a crocodile omelet last night, something I could probably not get anywhere else, easy. Bon appetit...ett

... especially the micro brews and good thin crust pizza!

"Home food" is whatever my wife cooks for me. I have no food fetishes and have everything that I want. I miss nothing but would no doubt be healthier if I miss a few more meals. ;)

I'm of a similar ilk. I'm happy with my wifes cooking and getting the odd food fix at the shopping mall & fast food outlets. Mind you, if I know that VF's wife is cooking turkey, I will make an effort and a half to show up for some tasting. :)

Macro selling cod or haddock , I dont think so.

Tops in the New Mall is selling only frozen cod and haddock. Haddock cooked in milk is ok but its usually the yellow haddock that is poached , WOW. so good.

In villa market in BKK they sell smoked haddock and smoked cod, its not stained yellow , its actually SMOKED, sadly it is about 2,000 bht per KG, but not expensive for some of the forum members. BS.