Air Fare Through The Roof?

losworld

Wow... I've been checking rates from LA to Bkok for the last few months in anticipation of a trip soon. However, I believe China airlines has recently done a twenty percent increase in fares!!! <deleted>!!!!! And to try to hide it they now include "all taxes, surcharges, etc." in the numbers. Before you would pick the rate and the rest would come after. I believe they are doing this to further confuse the customer.

Anyone else noticing this?

I believe this will be another nail in the coffin for overseas tourism with the increased rates, declining dollar, overall inflation. Worst part is that most of these fuel prices are primarily the result of Wall street speculators. This was primarily the work of Bill Clinton who did massive deregulation of commodities and oil for his Wall Street masters (oil no longer needs to be physically delivered). Obama promised to roll this back but of course he did nothing. Repubs and Dems...<snip>.

Edited by craigt3365
profanity removed

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's move this over to the travel forum.

Bye the way, fares always go up around summer. I booked a flight from BKK to LAX, leaving in 10 days. Price now is pretty much the same as when I booked it back in mid-Jan. Some days up a bunch, some days exactly the same....

Bye the way, fares always go up around summer. I booked a flight from BKK to LAX, leaving in 10 days. Price now is pretty much the same as when I booked it back in mid-Jan. Some days up a bunch, some days exactly the same....

I'm telling you check the rates they are up and it is not the seasonal element. I punched in dates outside the summer through the fall and it is twenty percent higher than a week ago.

I agree Craig as June has always been a peak period for budget long haul airlines. Kids are out of school,etc. I would add that the recent spike in oil affects prices as well. Some airlines make hedge bets on oil future prices while some rely on government subsidies. Suggest the OP book no less than 3 weeks in advance as last minute deals don't always get you the best fare.

I hear you. Booking my annual August trek to the US is costing me much, much more than it ever has before. Wasted a lot of time online and with multiple travel agents before accepting the fact that the fare quoted by the one I always use is in fact about as good as it gets....which is not good at all. At least 25% over the exact same routing/airline a year ago.

For several months there have been warnings of surcharges to be added and rising fuel costs because of all the unrest in the Middle East.

Either wait until things settle down a bit or bite the bullet and come on over.

No fun for you and others. I am glad I booked my return flight last month.

I'm telling you check the rates they are up and it is not the seasonal element. I punched in dates outside the summer through the fall and it is twenty percent higher than a week ago.

Airfare in general {domestic and international} in the States will always be higher than anywhere else in the world, simply because of all the added "security fees" and general disposition of the American cost of living. Comparatively worldwide, the truer values aren't even close. I believe the carriers will soon price themselves out of a market.

Unfortunately I waited a few days too long and the Thai Air flights I was looking at for May increased by 20% compared to last week. Same dates, same flight, and all of the other flights for April and May onwards have gone up 20% too, so it's not the flight that is season but the date when you actually book it.

Flights from Thailand to Europe have stayed pretty much static for at least 6 years, a very small increase only....30k baht gets you to London as it was the same in 2004, so no real increase there.

Unfortunately I waited a few days too long and the Thai Air flights I was looking at for May increased by 20% compared to last week. Same dates, same flight, and all of the other flights for April and May onwards have gone up 20% too, so it's not the flight that is season but the date when you actually book it.

Try again on Monday. Airlines change fares all the time...literally every minute. Clear your cookies and try again. Usually, fares are higher on weekends and lower mid week...when there are less eyeballs looking at fares. Have you tried different dates? I know sometimes moving your dates a bit can also find better fares. Kayak.com shows fares for the entire month you are searching...and it will send you daily fare updates if you like. ;)

Flights from Thailand to Europe have stayed pretty much static for at least 6 years, a very small increase only....30k baht gets you to London as it was the same in 2004, so no real increase there.

Hmmm...Back in 2004 I flew RT for $650. About 3 years ago I was getting fares around $950. Now, they are around $1200 or so...same routing. BKK to LAS. I do this several times a year...unfortunately...it's a LONG trip...

How can anyone take this thread seriously. C'mon now kids, take out your crayons and papers and let's do elementary school math.

The airfare went up 20%. I just had a look at airfares on the BKK-LAX route. It's coming in on Kayak at $1066. A 20% increase means that the fare was $890.

OMFG its ginormous fare increase of approx. $176 US :o

And for that small insignificant sum one is treated to a silly thread blaming blame Clinton, Obama, and other US politicians for an increase in airfares around the world.

I don't know if the OP has access to a world map, but if he looks, he wll see that Taiwan is an independent nation. The USA does not set Taiwan's fuel costs.. Fuel costs for Taiwan carriers (EVA's airfares are up to) are attributable to the following;

-98% of Taiwan's energy supply is imported of which almost 100% of its oil related products are imported. Middle east politics and economic recovery around he world have influenced pricing.

- Close to 90% of Taiwan's oil still comes from the Middle East

-There are only two refiners in Taiwan; the government-owned CPC Corp and "publicly" owned Formosa Petrochemical Co. As such, there is not much competiton for refined products such as jet fuel.

- For flights between BKK and TPE, air service costs have jumped more than 20% in the past two years. The fuel price at BKK is set by Thailand. The costs for catering, baggage handling and support services have all jumped. This is a Thai related issue. My costs to fly from BKK to NRT or TPE or HKG have all increased 10-30% depending upon routing and time. Why would US politicians be rsponsible for this?

What I find quite ignorant, and I do not use the term lightly, is the complaint that an airline "try to hide it they now include "all taxes, surcharges, etc." in the numbers"

The airline's approach is what the general public, and consumer advocates have been demanding from airlines around the world for years. An all inclusive price allows proper comparison pricing. Many airlines are accused of misleading consumers by offering a low fare and then adding on all sorts of surcharges at a later stage of the pricing exercise. The airline is to be commended for offering transparent pricing.

I just don't understand the need to blame people or airlines for fare increases due to market changes

I have been tracking airfares for my flight to SFO from Phuket in June via Kayak.

Asiana airlines yesterday was $808 one way, today it is $987

what the <profanity removed>!!!

Edited by metisdead
Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

I have been tracking airfares for my flight to SFO from Phuket in June via Kayak.

Asiana airlines yesterday was $808 one way, today it is $987

what the <profanity removed>!!!

I leave on April 27th. Just found a fare $50 cheaper than I paid...same airline, same route, same times...ugh....

I read an article a few months ago (sorry can't remember any specifics for reference) that stated its best to buy your ticket on Tuesday of Wednesday, not fly that day but to actually make the purchase. Again I don't remember specifics but it had something to do with Tuesday being when when airlines have sales and later in the week the flights get booked leaving only the highest fares.

Just experiment a little if you have time, pick a few destinations, pick travel days and check the fares from various online booking agents using the same data. Do this each day for a couple weeks and keep a record to check the trends.

i have to fly air india or jetairways now from uk, greedy government taxes etc have pushed all fares up, i fear in the near future i wont be able to fly out 2-3 times per year as ive allways done.

i have to fly air india or jetairways now from uk, greedy government taxes etc have pushed all fares up, i fear in the near future i wont be able to fly out 2-3 times per year as ive allways done.

Flights from UK again have stayed static for almost 10 years alhough the carriers are different, flights under 400 quid aint bad really....direct have increased due to taxes and fuel increases.

Fewer aircraft, higher fuel, get use to it.

It's irrelevant if we're "used to it" or not - money may have subjective worth, but it has objective value.

That means if I have $900 and my purchase is $1500, I am short by $600 and cannot buy the ticket.

I can't call up the airline and use my "used to it" waiver and get a discount, can I?

But yeah, I can't find anything less than $1300 to SFO or LAX round trip.

I'll have to check out this Kayak. Do I have to paddle?;)

I can only assume you have been flying with the same airline for the past 6 years because 6 years ago returns for 16,000 baht were available. The last couple of years the minimum cost if 30k Rtn to Europe. This has not been the case for the last 6 years.

I just checked my flight for my next trip . Normally i expect to pay in the area of 800 Euro to 850 . It came out at 1050 euro for a China Airlines flight from amsterdam to bkk . That is on the very high side and close to the highest i ever paid ( just b4 crisis ) . Mind you that this is end of june returning end of july . It is high season and this is noticable .

So yes , the price of the tickets went up by 20% which is quite an increase .

Learn to live with it as somebody else stated as this is mainly due to fuel costs .

I can only assume you have been flying with the same airline for the past 6 years because 6 years ago returns for 16,000 baht were available. The last couple of years the minimum cost if 30k Rtn to Europe. This has not been the case for the last 6 years.

And 12 years ago they were 50 Satang :lol:

Cant ever remember them being that cheap return including Taxes and surcharges

Come on guys, in this world economy things are more expensive. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it! Stop the whinning. Just stay closer to home. :whistling:

Maybe you like being the butt-boy of the Universe, but some people would rather work on mitigation strategies. That includes understanding the characteristics of the problem.

And not everyone travels so they can enhance their photo collection or fill their diaries with self absorbed tripe. Often that unpleasant thing called reality dictates when and where you will travel to - the only thing you get to choose is how you get there.

... greedy government taxes etc have pushed all fares up, ...

Governments are broke, mate. It's either taxes or no social security, as in Asia. I am fully aware that it might come to both things for Europe for some of us or our kids.

There are still occasional bargains, but I can't see how anybody can fail to notice the general upward trend in prices. For some reason TV has more than its fair share of inflation deniers, whether re flights or in-country cost of living. I suppose it is a mind of counter-reaction to the many complaints expressed on these threads.