Going To Bangkok

cmjantje

Next month I have to go to my embassy to rnew my passport and some more embassy stuff. My wife never saw BKK so I want her to spend some days there to see the things she needs to see. In the meanwhile I want to look for a decent rowing machine. Question is:

At this moment, what is the most comfortable way to go to BKK from CR? Any idea about the costs?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to sit on a bus for 12-14 hours to get a scenic view of Thailand then that could be good for you . This time of year , hot etc , I think even with aircon on the bus the sun still fries you even with the curtains drawn. Get a flight , thats the best and quickest way . Or Try Rowing all the way :D

Go to air asia website to see flight costs.....but....if you are planning on bringing a rowing machine back to CR you sure wouldnt' want to try and fly that back as air asia charges a lot for excess luggage. Be careful re all air asia luggage costs as they will nail you if you go over the various limits. You could always mail the rowing machine back to yourself in CR which would be way way cheaper.

I do Not want to fly. It is absolutely Not comfortable waiting hours before they leave and waiting hours after the land And after that trying to get a taxi. I prefer the bus, please some advise!

I do Not want to fly. It is absolutely Not comfortable waiting hours before they leave and waiting hours after the land And after that trying to get a taxi. I prefer the bus, please some advise!

Well as you prefer the bus my advice is to get the bus ;) Or you could get the bus to CM and then the train to BKK, overnighter is always fun!

Earlier this week I bought tickets for my wife and I to travel from Chiang Rai to Bangkok next week.

We are going down on AirAsia and returning on Orient Thai.

The cost for two people for the flight to Bangkok on AirAsia was 3,711 baht.

The cost for two people for the flight from Bangkok back to Chiang Rai on Orient Thai was 3,100 baht.

The train is really nice! My wife and I took it back from BKK to CM on the overnighter and got a 1st class sleeper. It was great! I could never afford to do that in the states, as it is cheaper to take flying lessons and buy a small airplane to fly than to get a sleeper on Amtrak. Take a small ice chest with whatever and enjoy the scenery. However, I have been told that the best scenery is through the mountains on the CM to Lampang leg and that the rest was just the same old rice fields after another. Two people fill up a first class sleeper and you get a table, AC, large window, small sink and places to put things. I highly recommend it. Besides it is way safer than the bus....too many idiot drivers to dodge all the way to BKK, not to mention if you draw a speed demon bus driver. Happy traveling....ett

Bussed it a few times, I prefer Sombat tours who seem to be reliable.

There are different prices depending on the class, with VIP you get a ladyboy to look after you.

So you can pay from about ฿600 to about ฿950.

The VIP has 3 seats across, the others have the normal 4 seats.

They give you the option of getting off at a place before Bangkok the name I forget but I think you are better going thru to Mo Chit.

taxi to skytrain will be less than ฿50 depending on traffic.

I drove to Chiang rai for songkran, I could have given you a ride for free.

Its quite a nice town full of nice people with cheap plenty hotels and places to eat.

I saw mostly a good crowd mix of foreigners, all well behaved. none walking around with beer cans in hand. The locals all seemed nice too, the ladies always found me interesting.

Thanks to the Old Dutch place, nice big fella, even apologized for not serving our lunch at the same time on the 13th. Yes, me with little pregnant damsel, the draft beer was half full, that's why I switched to big bottled beer. I came by later that evening with my beer hat on, but you were shuttered.

To the OP, is that the wife on your avatar? you can jog with her to bangkok.

You don't have to wait hours for the flight, it's just an internal flight, you can turn up at the airport 1 hour before it leaves. It takes just over an hour. Then you might have to wait 20 minutes for your bags, no customs or immigration, straight on to the Airport link train that connects with the BTS. That's 3 hours, city centre to city centre max!

Still, if you prefer the journey to take 12 hours + get the bus, listen to the Thai TV all the way, eat the crappy food at the halfway point in Nakhon Nowhere and end up in Mo Chit (with a sore arse!) at either the morning or evening rush hour, then sit in afore-mentioned mental Bangkok traffic watching the meter tick away. :lol: Up to you.

You don't have to wait hours for the flight, it's just an internal flight, you can turn up at the airport 1 hour before it leaves. It takes just over an hour. Then you might have to wait 20 minutes for your bags, no customs or immigration, straight on to the Airport link train that connects with the BTS. That's 3 hours, city centre to city centre max!

Still, if you prefer the journey to take 12 hours + get the bus, listen to the Thai TV all the way, eat the crappy food at the halfway point in Nakhon Nowhere and end up in Mo Chit (with a sore arse!) at either the morning or evening rush hour, then sit in afore-mentioned mental Bangkok traffic watching the meter tick away. :lol: Up to you.

Well said. The last time i flew to bangkok i arrived airport one hour prior to the flight, departed and arrived bkk 1 hour 20 minutes later. Got my bags at bag claim, caught a taxi, and was standing in the lobby of Nana area hotel less than an hour later. Total time from leaving home in CR to Bkk hotel was less than four hours. It doesn't get any more comfortable than that. But like you say if someone wants to sit on a bus for twelve hours or so and hope your driver isn't on ya ba or sleepy then UP TO YOU.

Well said. The last time i flew to bangkok i arrived airport one hour prior to the flight, departed and arrived bkk 1 hour 20 minutes later. Got my bags at bag claim, caught a taxi, and was standing in the lobby of Nana area hotel less than an hour later. Total time from leaving home in CR to Bkk hotel was less than four hours. It doesn't get any more comfortable than that. But like you say if someone wants to sit on a bus for twelve hours or so and hope your driver isn't on ya ba or sleepy then UP TO YOU.

I'll second that with the possible exception of saying you may have to wait for hours and hours if you fly Air Asia. These days (twice a month) I always fly TG. I can't risk missing connections any more. Also, despite the bad press I find the City Link train (not the Airport Link)a real pleasure. It takes a bit of learning to find out where the lifts are but once leaned never forgotten.

I highly recommend the bus company Nahorn Chai Air for comfort and safety. They change drivers every few hours, and the drivers drive so smoothly that you can barely stay awake--it's like being rocked in a cradle--thanks also, to a high-quality suspension system. I also recommend the first class where you have massaging seats and individual video (in English or Thai) with a choice of movies, games, or music to while away the time.

When you go to the station, pick up a "Go Card" which will entitle you to about a 10% discount on all tickets ("members" rate, below).

Nakhon Chai Air Schedule:

Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Bangkok

Order.Time out.Arrival Time.Type of car

1. 09:00. 18.30. Gold Class.

2. 10.30. 20.00. First Class.

3. 12.00. 21.30. Gold Class.

4. 19.00. 04:30. Gold Class.

5. 19.30. 05:00. Gold Class.

6. 20.00. 05:30. Gold Class.

7. 20.20. 05:50. First Class specific Bangkok - Chiang Mai

8. 20.30. 06:00. Gold Class.

9. 21.00. 06:30. Gold Class.

10. 21.15. 06:45. Gold Class.

11. 21.20. 06:50. First Class Only in Chiang Mai -Bangkok

12. 21.30. 07:00. Gold Class.

13. 21.45. 07:15. Gold Class.

14. 22.00. 07:30. Gold Class.

15. 22.20. 07:50. First Class.

** Gold Class: $ 605 full members 575 Baht

** First Class: $ 806 full members 766 Baht

(Information as of January 2011).

Edited by Fookhaht

I highly recommend the bus company Nahorn Chai Air for comfort and safety. They change drivers every few hours, and the drivers drive so smoothly that you can barely stay awake--it's like being rocked in a cradle--thanks also, to a high-quality suspension system. I also recommend the first class where you have massaging seats and individual video (in English or Thai) with a choice of movies, games, or music to while away the time.

When you go to the station, pick up a "Go Card" which will entitle you to about a 10% discount on all tickets ("members" rate, below).

Is this from CR or from CM?

What is the difference between gold and first class?

Is this from CR or from CM?

What is the difference between gold and first class?

I believe the departure times and arrival times are the same, both ways. See timetable here.

Gold class, I believe, is just their normal service.

Nakhon Chai Air Bus does not stop in Bangkok from Chiang Rai. It goes to Pattaya and Rayong via the super hwy 1 all the way. Stops in Lumphang, Ayuttaya, Chon Buri.

It is the best, but does not go to Bangkok from Chiang Rai.

Try Sombat Tour. They are 2nd to Nakon Chai Air bus services. VIP is about 900 baht to Bangkok. Think about 32 seats full reclining to sleep. Lots of legroom and not a double decker bus.

Leaves the new bus terminal about 6 pm and arrives in Bangkok at Mo Chit terminal about 5 or 6 am.

There are no trains from Chiang Rai, Only from Chiang Mai.

By Air to Bangkok is Air Asia, Thai, and 1-2 go Orient Thai.

By Air to Chiang Mai is Nok Air.

Edited by KimoMax

Nakhon Chai Air Bus does not stop in Bangkok from Chiang Rai. It goes to Pattaya and Rayong via the super hwy 1 all the way. Stops in Lumphang, Ayuttaya, Chon Buri.

It is the best, but does not go to Bangkok from Chiang Rai.

Try Sombat Tour. They are 2nd to Nakon Chai Air bus services. VIP is about 900 baht to Bangkok. Think about 32 seats full reclining to sleep. Lots of legroom and not a double decker bus.

Leaves the new bus terminal about 6 pm and arrives in Bangkok at Mo Chit terminal about 5 or 6 am.

There are no trains from Chiang Rai, Only from Chiang Mai.

By Air to Bangkok is Air Asia, Thai, and 1-2 go Orient Thai.

By Air to Chiang Mai is Nok Air.

Where in Chiang Rai is the office for Nakon Chai Air Bus???? I have heard of it in CM but not CR. Am going soon to Chon Buri and would like to take them.

Where in Chiang Rai is the office for Nakon Chai Air Bus???? I have heard of it in CM but not CR. Am going soon to Chon Buri and would like to take them.

Hi Ron

Hope your well,the phone number on the Nakon Chai Air web site for Chaingrai is 053 740 235

Regards

Nakon Chai Air Bus has a main office on the Super Highway #1 East side, before the Hino dealer and nearly across the street from Amway.

Between the Traffic light south of Big C and the new bus terminal. They also have a ticket booth at the new bus terminal in Chiang Rai.

Suggest you get tickets a few days before. They tend to sell out.

Edited by KimoMax

The most comfortable way to go to BKK from Chiang Rai is to drive yourself. Driving is usually the most comfortable way to go anywhere that can be driven to. It isn't the quickest option, nor is it the cheapest option. But it is the most comfortable.

You don't have to stand in lines. You don't have to worry about a lost ticket. You don't have to worry about being on time for the departure from home or to home. You can choose your trip mate or mates. You don't have people pushing against you as they struggle to go back and forth from one end of a conveyance to the other. You don't have people dropping their seat in your lap. If the person next to you is annoying, you can tell him/her about it.

You can stop anywhere you like, any time. You can pee any time you like. You can eat whenever you want, whatever you want, wherever you want. You can decrease your speed in the rain. You can speed up on good roads. You don't have to watch or listen to terrible movies or listen to terrible music. You don't have to listen to the most annoying ringtones over and over and wonder why the hell the person doesn't just answer his/her damned phone in a timely manner. You don't have to listen to the shouted conversations once they do answer it.

You can get out and relax. You can get out and have a look at that interesting thing or site you just passed. You can pass the bus going up the hill. You can pull over and get some fresh fruit. And then you can pull over five minutes later in a shady spot and eat it with someone you care about. You can fart and have a laugh about it. She can fart and you can ask what's wrong with her.

As you go around curves, you can lean forward with your nose almost to the windscreen, sticking your elbows out from the steering wheel, exaggerating your position as if you're going really fast and aggravate her. You can tell her that at the next stop, you're going to let her drive for a while (HA!).

You can control the temperature in the vehicle. While you're looking out the window, nobody is going to suddenly pull a screen or a curtain across it. Nobody is going to be slamming anything into the back of your seat. Nobody is going to grab the back of your seat and jerk it backwards as they pull themselves out of their own seat. If someone's bawling kid gets on your nerves, you can just drive away.

You can spend a night in a nice place on the way. You can have a good rest, knowing your schedule is your own. You can stop early and take in a tourist site or two. You can pull over in about any town, in about any neighborhood and get free wi-fi and check your e-mail while you sit in your car.

So many of my most memorable times are not from when I got to the destination. Most of the memorable ones are from getting there and back. And often, taking one route on the way there, a different one on the way back. Surprises each way, laughing, being ourselves, poking fun at anonymous strangers. Taking the time to enjoy the ride, the company, the scenery. Taking pictures. Taking the time to enjoy the reasons I am with her in the first place.

A trip is arduous, no matter how you go. Trips suck. "I have to take a business trip." Just the sound of that sucks. "I had to make a trip." "He isn't back from his trip yet." A trip isn't leisure. It doesn't even sound leisurely. "Do you have the tickets?" "That guy is in my seat." "Buddy, have you heard of the new thing they call soap?" Trips are for working stiffs. Not people like us. Trips are for buses and airplanes and taxis, standing in line, walking in single file, standing in line again, being scrutinized by some self-important nut that was flipping burgers last week, standing in another line, watching someone wave their luggage over your head as you sit in your seat, wondering why they don't put it over their own seat, wondering if your own luggage will be where you are when you get there.

If you're in a hurry to get there, then take a trip on the bus or the plane or the train. If you're not in a hurry, then get in the car and have an excursion across Thailand, through BKK and return. Next year, you'll have a lot more pleasant memories of the excursion if you drove it. Next year, you won't remember much good about that trip if you didn't.

Edited by kandahar