Tailor In Chiangmai

Diablo Bob

Well it is now official....... :o

I am leaving the land of bulletproof vests and shoulder holsters and returning to Thailand.

In my new position, I will sometimes need a suit, so now I am looking for a tailor like they have on Sukhumvitt Soi 11 in Bangkok.

Any suggestions?

:D

Neramit does very fine shirts & pants, (and pretty decent suit jackets). Plus k. Wirat (the owner) is a nice guy and gives good advice, punctual and reliable service, has been in de business since biblical times and is generally a pleasure to buy from. One of those icons of Chiang Mai who keeps doing what he's good at in the same little shop, for a fair price and without pretense or the need for a tourist-sales-spiel. Kind of the same league as Mother-Kasem, i.e. the people that remind you of Chiang Mai before Starbucks & Tesco.

(On a side note, which other people, shops or places would be in that timeless-Chiang Mai league? )

I used Neeramit for alterations and had a robe made, all very professionally done. Would use them for a suit if I needed one.

The man who always waited on me spoke English very well and said he leared English working as a bartender in an enlisted men's club during the Vietnam war. Is this the ower? His business card speaks of being a general manager and director.

(On a side note, which other people, shops or places would be in that timeless-Chiang Mai league? )

The Bierstube for one. It's been there at least twenty years :o

and the Kafe is another. Mind you the Sayuri has been around for an awful long time too :D

I have just collecter a couple of new shirts and a pair of dress trousers from neramit, all a perfect fit.

The Bierstube for one. It's been there at least twenty years :o

and the Kafe is another. Mind you the Sayuri has been around for an awful long time too :D

I have just collecter a couple of new shirts and a pair of dress trousers from neramit, all a perfect fit.

I'm interested also in getting some shirts/trousers made. Could you tell me what they cost there?

Tywais I really wouldn't like to stick my neck out and guess, as it all depends on an individuals body size and requirements. i.e. the quantity and quality of cloth needed. You might be a six stone weakling, in which case it will be cheaper than average.

I just paid around 2500 baht for a dress long sleeve shirt, a similar short sleeve shirt, and a pair dress trousers, all in a very good material. I'm 5'9" (174cm) and weigh in around 67Kg if that helps any...Sure you can buy cheaper at Raja Singhs down the night bazaar, but Neramit has been in business since 1953! No I don't get any commission :o He just does a great job.

I had three suits made for myself at Neramit about ten years ago. Was a wonderful place to do business with back then, good to hear that it hasn't changed in the interim. I'd go back there in a flash if I needed another suit but as it stands, I hardly have the occasion to wear the three I own! :o