Done With Pattaya - Time To Move

fm2002

Well before the Devil gets his teeth into me I have to get out of Pattaya. Can't say I hated my time here, but enough is enough.

I've lived in Thailand 3 years and I have travelled just about everywhere except the deep south.

(Tilac refuses to go there). My short list of where I would like to relocate is either Chiang Rai or Hua Hin. Been to Chiang Rai 5 or 6 times. After going through the first 20 pages of the Chiang Rai Forum I've learned a few things;

1) Lanna Realty seems to be the only agency that deals in rentals and purchases

2) the expat community is small and pretty tight

3) things seem to be progressing, but there still is a small town feel

I will be coming up on Friday for 4-5 days and would like to have a look around and find a place to rent. My plan would be to move up and see if it's for me. If so my friend has a big piece of land that I would purchase and build a home.

A few questions

1) are there any other agencies other than Lanna

2) do you have message boards advertising rentals. If so where are the best ones

3) expat hangouts where one could get useful info

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Frank

Here is the link to TV classifieds, qualified with only the last ten days of advertisements. Have several folks listed there as having more than one rental available. Don' know if they are all Lanna Realty or not. Can do a search for even older ads and may find more.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/ads/search/1/currency/5/day/10/county/10/ord/price/sens/asc/

There are lots of rentals around that are not listed here. Just need to spend a few days wandering around asking and looking. Many of the local rentals are listed on paper flyers on utility poles around here.

Here is the link for Chiang Rai Focus, the local Thai language website where lot of stuff gets advertised. If you have a Thai reader or if you know the language, maybe you will find something there.

http://www.chiangraifocus.com/

Welcome home.

A few questions

1) are there any other agencies other than Lanna

2) do you have message boards advertising rentals. If so where are the best ones

3) expat hangouts where one could get useful info

Ricos Beach Bar is a good place to meet other expats. You can also have a very good meal there, both thai food and falang food. The Pizzas are great!

Where, check the Chiang Rai map in the pinned section.

Welcome to CR!

:D:):D

For usefull information you could visit Yedjod - lot's of bars with farang visitors.

Good farang food: Coconuts Bar (also on Yedjod - behind Wangcome Hotel)

Some local farang have houses for rent, for telephone numbers just ask around. At this moment I live in the third rented house since I came here, most of them found by just asking around in the community. Bar owners like Sam from CatBar know what is going on...

As Kandahar said: Welcome home.

For usefull information you could visit Yedjod - lot's of bars with farang visitors.

Good farang food: Coconuts Bar (also on Yedjod - behind Wangcome Hotel)

Some local farang have houses for rent, for telephone numbers just ask around. At this moment I live in the third rented house since I came here, most of them found by just asking around in the community. Bar owners like Sam from CatBar know what is going on...

As Kandahar said: Welcome home.

The area is Pattaya like. Big misspelling, though! Correction to "Jed Yod", Please! bah.gif

Think I know the area. It's a side street right off the main st. in Chiang Rai with a few bars and there used to be a Italian Restaurant there too ?

Jed Yod is the road that runs from the clock tower parallel to main street...basically runs from clock tower to Wat Jed Yod...goes right by the Wang Come hotel and is home of a good slew of bars/restaurants/diversions to include some girls that will tell you how handsome you are.

Well made it up here yesterday a day late. Staying at Chiang Rai Homestay which is owned and operated by Toony and Phet a very nice couple and a nice quiet place. A little bit out of town,but we have our own wheels so ok.

We met up with Jeffery of Lana Realty and he showed us 3 places. Not sure exactly the location, but about 5 blocks from Central Plaza. All 3 units were on the same street. The first 2 units were pretty much the same; 2 storey, 4 bedrooms, but really 5 to 6, walled in yard, semi furnished. 1st one 15,000 and 2nd one 12,000-15,000. IMO very reasonable, but we are only two so way too big for us. The 3rd unit at the end of the street was a smaller 1 storey 2 bedroom with small walled in yard. Fully furnished with maid service. This would be available next month for 15,000.

In the afternoon Jeffery explained he had another place, but said most likely it was rented, but in case the guy backed out he would show it to me. It's about 6km out of town. There are actually 3 units; 1 unit the owner lives in and the other 2 he rents. There is a 1 storey 2 bedroom I would rent in a New York minute, but it's occupied with a long term agreement. The unit in question is a small 2 storey A frame. A nice little place, but if the price is what I think it will be 20,000 up it's too much.

Today, Sunday we will hit the town and see what we can find out. Will be at Rico's for lunch and Coconut Bar tonight for drinks. Anyone who would like to have a chat the first rounds on me. We'll be easy to find an American and Thai who have been in the sun too long :)

Cheers

Edited by fm2002

Well made it up here yesterday a day late. Staying at Chiang Rai Homestay which is owned and operated by Toony and Phet a very nice couple and a nice quiet place. A little bit out of town,but we have our own wheels so ok.

We met up with Jeffery of Lana Realty and he showed us 3 places. Not sure exactly the location, but about 5 blocks from Central Plaza. All 3 units were on the same street. The first 2 units were pretty much the same; 2 storey, 4 bedrooms, but really 5 to 6, walled in yard, semi furnished. 1st one 15,000 and 2nd one 12,000-15,000. IMO very reasonable, but we are only two so way too big for us. The 3rd unit at the end of the street was a smaller 1 storey 2 bedroom with small walled in yard. Fully furnished with maid service. This would be available next month for 15,000.

In the afternoon Jeffery explained he had another place, but said most likely it was rented, but in case the guy backed out he would show it to me. It's about 6km out of town. There are actually 3 units; 1 unit the owner lives in and the other 2 he rents. There is a 1 storey 2 bedroom I would rent in a New York minute, but it's occupied with a long term agreement. The unit in question is a small 2 storey A frame. A nice little place, but if the price is what I think it will be 20,000 up it's too much.

Today, Sunday we will hit the town and see what we can find out. Will be at Rico's for lunch and Coconut Bar tonight for drinks. Anyone who would like to have a chat the first rounds on me. We'll be easy to find an American and Thai who have been in the sun too long :)

Cheers

Welcome Fm to the Rai.

My advice is to sit back and relax for a day or 2, drive around the area yourself with your wife and find the house you really want to rent. There are some great houses about and without the hefty rental prices that some Realty agents charge. If you are prepared to hunt yourself for a house then I am sure you can find and not only that but you get to see far more of the Rai .Good Luck

Well I find out yesterday that Sunday is not the day to get things done in Chiang Rai. Rico's was closed and Jed Yod St. was dead.

Serious question: I'm finding as you get out of town into the country/mountains Chanote's are non existent or very hard to come by. Why is this the case? What if anything can be done to get one? If you can't get one what else can be had that will ensure ownership? Seems people are building w/o one which seems very risky :unsure:

Edited by fm2002

Well I find out yesterday that Sunday is not the day to get things done in Chiang Rai. Rico's was closed and Jed Yod St. was dead.

Serious question: I'm finding as you get out of town into the country/mountains Chanote's are non existent or very hard to come by. Why is this the case? What if anything can be done to get one? If you can't get one what else can be had that will ensure ownership? Seems people are building w/o one which seems very risky :unsure:

All the banks in Chaingrai have land and houses for sale,all with chanote

I have not heard of anyone in the past 20 years losing their land/house because there was no chanote,

The safe way is to buy with chanote but the land/house is cheaper without

All the banks in Chaingrai have land and houses for sale,all with chanote

I have not heard of anyone in the past 20 years losing their land/house because there was no chanote,

The safe way is to buy with chanote but the land/house is cheaper without

Sadly its true that in many instances you will find land/houses for sale without Chanot and it is a risk.

The risk in my opinion is minimal as long as you do some homework on the place you want to buy.

There are many established villages with roads, electricity ,water supply etc and the chances are that everything will be ok BUT its always best to go to the Land Office and make inquiries about the village.

Its possible the village will already be on the Chiang Rai Map that they have but knowing there is no chanot .

They will not tell you if the village will get the first step of the chanot or not as they DO NOT KNOW, its governed by Bangkok.I know some friends who were advised by them that in due course a chanot will be issued but it can take 1-10 years.

I also know of some foreigners who have tried to buy a chanot from the office, it didnt work.

Personally its always best to have purely that it gives you a better chance of selling if the need arises, people prefer the paperwork regardless of where you come from . Soap has said land and houses are cheaper without Chanot and I agree with that but its also a great investment in the long run if you buy without papers and eventually get them, if not , just live where you want and enjoy what you have .

I was once told that the government only allow a certain amount of acres per year per province to be allocated for chanot , this is due to the whole country needing them and will take a lifetime of surveying all the land , measuring out personal plots and doing the paperwork. Its luck of the draw if your village will be next in line.Just wait and it will come. Dont Buy on National Park Land or Military land .

Jetyod Rd is dead most of the time, currently there are a few tourists in town but most of the time it is very quiet. Rico's Bar is always closed on Sundays and Mondays. Tuesday and Friday are his busiest days .If you need to know anything else , just ask , someone will always help here, Happy hunting.

Didn't accomplish much yesterday, Monday on the rental front. Have a few leads today so got my fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Went looking for a gym. Heard there are (3); Dusit, P'Mann and one other. Found the Dusit and had a look, but not much of a gym for the money asked. Couldn't find P'Mann. Will look again today.

Had dinner at Don's last night and was impressed. The Ribs were very good the BBQ sauce even better. :licklips:

1 - Sounds to me like the rental rates you are being asked to pay are a bit steep for Chiang Rai.

2 - Ask around whether the area is prone to flooding during the rainy season.

3 - Suggest that you do not sign too long a lease agreement. You seem hell-bent on renting before knowing the "lay of the land".

4 - Try to strike up conversations with Soap and Kandahar.

Yeah after reading 20 pages or so of the Chiang Rai forum it's apparent Soap and Kandahar are in the know. I'm in no rush and will just let things come together w/o much worry. I think I have no choice as the rental industry here is not established as in bigger cities. In fact I suspect I will leave here soon w/o anything concrete. However I've met a few good people and hopefully something will materialize down the road.

Yeah after reading 20 pages or so of the Chiang Rai forum it's apparent Soap and Kandahar are in the know. I'm in no rush and will just let things come together w/o much worry. I think I have no choice as the rental industry here is not established as in bigger cities. In fact I suspect I will leave here soon w/o anything concrete. However I've met a few good people and hopefully something will materialize down the road.

Sorry gang, but my "in the know" reservoir is much less than that of most others on here. I am short timer thus far in Thailand. I AM mouthier than most, though, so I post a bit more than some. Now "soap" has been here forever and it is a fact that he knows a lot of stuff. There are many silent ones out there who know a lot.

Lots of members are reticent about posting. Some are bored to death with it because they have answered the same questions, over and over, for years. Other good, knowledgeable members have posted answers and have been jumped on by folks who disagree. Those posters have since decided to not post at all. Other good folks who have asked so many questions and have received good answers and found what they are looking for, just disappear after they get what they want, with no payback or paying it forward at all. And then, of course, you have some who don't want to see any more people coming here and changing the place. They are hoping you give up and stay where you are.

If you could ask a question here and get 90 percent participation, you would be overwhelmed with the info offered.

Edited by kandahar

One thing you might have noticed about the Chiang Rai forum, is that we are not as anonymous as the General Forum. We get together, post pictures and do things that normal people do. It is not hard to arrange a sit-down over coffee, or for some, over another beverage type.

Personal interaction is always a better way to go and brings better results in a relatively small community like ours. Don’t forget that one of the attractions of the Rai is that things don’t function exactly the way they do in the big city. As you say, there is no rush and things will come together.

There are lots of golfers, I am not one of them, but again it may take a little time to find a group that you might fit with.

Here is the link to TV classifieds, qualified with only the last ten days of advertisements. Have several folks listed there as having more than one rental available. Don' know if they are all Lanna Realty or not. Can do a search for even older ads and may find more.

http://classifieds.t...price/sens/asc/

There are lots of rentals around that are not listed here. Just need to spend a few days wandering around asking and looking. Many of the local rentals are listed on paper flyers on utility poles around here.

Here is the link for Chiang Rai Focus, the local Thai language website where lot of stuff gets advertised. If you have a Thai reader or if you know the language, maybe you will find something there.

http://www.chiangraifocus.com/

Welcome home.

Same goes for Hua Hin rental ads on poles , I found my place just driving around the side streets, rentals are very reasonable and Hua Hin is a great place to live, we are appreciated to the degree where the BBI have been instructed to leave us alone so no extortion tickets , I moved here from BKK and what a change, love it. we have a good girlie bar area but nothing on the scale of Pattaya thank god compared to that god awful town this is paradise.

I agree with you all. I think it's a good thing that it's not easy to find what I'm looking for. In Pattaya your overwhelmed with agents that will promise you anything. Most of them full of shit.

Drove all over the place today and found a few signs advertising rentals. Also found PI Mann gym. Nice place.

Sinthanee 2 Moo Ban Soi 2... middle of the soi, Green house with 2 or 3 A/C units. should be a 3 bed 2 bath and kitchen unfurnished.. they are asking 5,000 but can probably get for little less. Thai owners for rent. This one is probably a pretty good deal and possibly could be fixed up nicely with a little paint and accessories to the yard.

Sinthanee 2 Moo Ban Soi 2... end of the soi, private, large yard recently repainted and lots of work done to the house. 2 or 3 A/C units, at least 3 bed 2 bath kitchen... Last year they were asking 10,000 but did not rent. Might be able to get for less. Thai owners Unknown about furnishings.

Drive by for phone numbers and will need someone to speak Thai with the owners.

Sinthanee 2 is located about 3 Kilometers East of Central Plaza and Big C shopping Centers. From Super Highway 1 traffic light, go east on Highway 1020 toward Chang Kong and Pu Chi Fa for about 3 kilometers. Sinthanee 2 is on the left (north) just after you pass the old dutch style windmill on your right side.

There is also Sinthanee 3 on the opposite side of highway 1020 (south side). Coming out from Sinthanee 2 tack the U turn and then Sinthanee 3 will be about 150 meters on the left side. You could also drive thru there and have a look. sometimes there are rentals in there as well. Around 6,000 +

They have security there that checks all cars so you will just need to give them an ID like driver licence etc to enter.

The brother of the guy that runs Surinam restaurant on Jed Yad (across the street from Cat Bar) has a new small house in a Moo Ban in Bandoo close to Chiang Rai Radjapat University. Inquire at the restaurant, the brothere isknows about the rental and how to reach his brother the owner. Bandoo is about 7-8 kilo's north of Chiang Rai city on the super highway 1. ........ almost new, private 2 bedrooms, maid room (could be 3rd very small bedroom or an office). A/C in Master bedroom, large kitchen and storage area enclosed in the back of the house. Think they are asking about 7,000..........

I never post here, but never saw you around Jed Yad Cat Bar even tho I did enquire about you..

Edited by KimoMax

Sinthanee 2 Moo Ban Soi 2... middle of the soi, Green house with 2 or 3 A/C units. should be a 3 bed 2 bath and kitchen unfurnished.. they are asking 5,000 but can probably get for little less. Thai owners for rent. This one is probably a pretty good deal and possibly could be fixed up nicely with a little paint and accessories to the yard.

Sinthanee 2 Moo Ban Soi 2... end of the soi, private, large yard recently repainted and lots of work done to the house. 2 or 3 A/C units, at least 3 bed 2 bath kitchen... Last year they were asking 10,000 but did not rent. Might be able to get for less. Thai owners Unknown about furnishings.

Drive by for phone numbers and will need someone to speak Thai with the owners.

Sinthanee 2 is located about 3 Kilometers East of Central Plaza and Big C shopping Centers. From Super Highway 1 traffic light, go east on Highway 1020 toward Chang Kong and Pu Chi Fa for about 3 kilometers. Sinthanee 2 is on the left (north) just after you pass the old dutch style windmill on your right side.

There is also Sinthanee 3 on the opposite side of highway 1020 (south side). Coming out from Sinthanee 2 tack the U turn and then Sinthanee 3 will be about 150 meters on the left side. You could also drive thru there and have a look. sometimes there are rentals in there as well. Around 6,000 +

They have security there that checks all cars so you will just need to give them an ID like driver licence etc to enter.

The brother of the guy that runs Surinam restaurant on Jed Yad (across the street from Cat Bar) has a new small house in a Moo Ban in Bandoo close to Chiang Rai Radjapat University. Inquire at the restaurant, the brothere isknows about the rental and how to reach his brother the owner. Bandoo is about 7-8 kilo's north of Chiang Rai city on the super highway 1. ........ almost new, private 2 bedrooms, maid room (could be 3rd very small bedroom or an office). A/C in Master bedroom, large kitchen and storage area enclosed in the back of the house. Think they are asking about 7,000..........

I never post here, but never saw you around Jed Yad Cat Bar even tho I did enquire about you..

Thanks for the leads will check them out tomorrow. As for Jed Yad we were there last night (Coconut Bar). Will try to swing by Surinam tomorrow night.

Sorry i don't have any independent leads on rural country nice properties with land. Saw some on the realators site, and one on Thai Visa in the classafieds. Located toward the White Temple for 15,000 baht.

No problem. Appreciate the leads you gave me. Actually will be leaving to check them out in about 30 minutes.

Thanks

Well after a grueling 10 hour drive yesterday I made it back to Pattaya. Of course right as we leave the expressway onto Sukhumvit I'm met with bumper to bumper traffic.

I would like to thank everyone on TVF and elsewhere in Chiang Rai who helped me. I looked at maybe 10 rental properties and had a glance at few land and houses for sale. On my last day as I was driving out of town Andrew showed me a place I liked the best. Haven't made contact with the owner yet so it's by no way confirmed, but hopefully it will come through. If not there is 2-3 more that would suffice.

Look forward to seeing you all again soon. Look for me around end of June