Phuket Tourist Forced To Pay 180,000 Baht In Jet-Ski Repairs

Seems to me that this guy must have been going pretty fast to have broken his leg by "falling off" at the last moment before the machine crashed into the rocks...

And, another thing...most of us know...the foreigner almost always pays...and pays dearly...nuff said.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why Jet-Skis should be there in Phuket at all. They are nasty machines that should be banned from any holiday destination worthy of the name.

So that a couple of people riding them have fun, many more get their right to have peace on a holiday beach disturbed. They are noisy and potentially dangerous.

Jet-Skis should be forbidden and replaced by pedalos and small sailboats.

Farangs never seem to learn that DON`T EVER RENT ANYTHING IN THAILAND. Always big problem! No matter what they say about insurance....It´s always Mai Pen Rai, but when you come back, then it´s MONEY; MONEY...There have been so many cases out there - try to learn it! Secondly they rent not quality things - they "fix" things by themselves - not according to manufacture´s service manual, and then things won´t work as they were meant to work - it means then that you pay the damages.

Edited by Yeppe

There have been some jet ski scams. This incident seems to be clean, and the tourist pays for her actions. One should learn how to operate jetskis and motorbikes before renting them

I would say that the tourist expects that he/she is covered by the advertised insurance sign in the case of any form of damage. Many might think that insurance, or lack of it, is the scam.

I don't want to read through over 100 posts, so excuse me if this has already been covered.

A few inconsistencies which came to mind:

1. How did a guy break a leg just falling off his jetski.

2. Why are they saying a broken leg is a minor injury. There are only 3 bones in the leg and breaking any one of them is a serious injury and even life threatening if it is the femur.

3. Why did they agree to pay such a large sum so quickly if they truly believed the engine cutoff was faulty. Surely for such a large sum of money they would have hired a lawyer if they really believed the jetski was faulty. It may still have been possible to prove their case by carefully examining the condition of the throttle cable.

Should have had a grown up driving it; sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen Jet ski or Mbike

"Sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen"

Oh that well known phrase........ Really rolls off the tongue dun it..:bah::D

There have been some jet ski scams. This incident seems to be clean, and the tourist pays for her actions. One should learn how to operate jetskis and motorbikes before renting them

I would say that the tourist expects that he/she is covered by the advertised insurance sign in the case of any form of damage. Many might think that insurance, or lack of it, is the scam.

I don't want to read through over 100 posts, so excuse me if this has already been covered.

A few inconsistencies which came to mind:

1. How did a guy break a leg just falling off his jetski.

The English girl ( Wannabe scientist) in the video ( who in my opinion shouldn't have been allowed in the country, why isn't she in Ibiza?) casually explains that it was due to surface tension.

180,000 baht is about 6,000 USD. Expensive but not horribly so. Even if the machine was old and used, the replacement cost is higher than its paper book value. I drive old cars, but that doesn't mean if it dies, that I can replace it for cheap. 6,000 is a bit high, but assuming the driver was not negligent, (which is a bit suspect) since it seems they collided with each other and probably were playing chicken or just fooling around, if he had insurance for travel and motor vehicles? I have always gotten short term insurance when I went to thailand. I would add a rider or two on the coverage if I thought I was going to do motorcycles, or jet skis. I have no experience trying to collect on a claim once I got back to the states if something did happen in Thailand, so the $45 or so I pay for the insurance rider might be up in smoke and false security at best.

I assume the Hire Company gave them a safety briefing and a short training session before letting tourist loose on the high seas!

I would have expected he tourist to pay some sort of excess if they were riding in a dangerous manner! Other wise the operator should have adequate insurance to cover everything. I suspect the operator has been gambling with been under insured to maximise his profits and expects the tourists to pay for his inadequacies. This should be a lesson to us all to check what we are insured for when we hire anything in Thailand.

I guess there is no disputing this scratch. Lucky it was not one of JJ's or the bill would have been millions and your 1st born for this scratch. Why don't operators have insurance covering the ski's as well as injuries. (public liability) Is the law in Australia. Anyway looks like the yank has to pay up on this one.

POME mate. Not a Yank.

Sorry, but what is a POME? smile.gifPalm Oil Mill Effluent. POME, Prisoner Of Mother England. POME, Product Of My Environment. POME, Philosophy of Mathematics ...

I assume the Hire Company gave them a safety briefing and a short training session before letting tourist loose on the high seas!

Unlikley.

Other wise the operator should have adequate insurance to cover everything. I suspect the operator has been gambling with been under insured to maximise his profits and expects the tourists to pay for his inadequacies. This should be a lesson to us all to check what we are insured for when we hire anything in Thailand.

Doubtful if the operator could buy such insurance cover. You got to realise that these claims are all just part of the operator's money making scheme.

Sorry, but what is a POME? smile.gifPalm Oil Mill Effluent. POME, Prisoner Of Mother England. POME, Product Of My Environment. POME, Philosophy of Mathematics ...

From Wikipedia - The term pommy, often shortened to pom or pomme, in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, commonly denotes a person of British (usually of English heritage) origin. A derogatory term.

Link ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_names_for_the_British#Pommy

From Wikipedia - The term pommy, often shortened to pom or pomme, in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, commonly denotes a person of British (usually of English heritage) origin. A derogatory term.

Link ---> http://en.wikipedia....e_British#Pommy

Thank you!