Phuket Tourist Forced To Pay 180,000 Baht In Jet-Ski Repairs

Despite the analysis of everyone here in repairs and value et al, take a ooh at the real issue. Insurance is under insured. In the 'game' that means the claim would not be met - if damage is capped at Baht50,000 then the operator is NOT complying with the new law, the machine has to be fully insured and the user pays excess.

The next question is the faulty machine - agree with all the pundits - I raced grand prix motorcycles and have a lot of experience having also built yachts and powerboats. This machine is doubtless, faulty. Throttles can stick (scary for the inexperienced) but with additional override of the kill switch and a spring'd power plug, this machine had every chance to stop if in proper operating condition.

So back on track, the insurer now should be refusing payment as the insured failed to maintain the insured goods (apart from being under-insured) and refuse the claim.

Then that comes back to the involvement of Police, the operator spinning yards and the tourist (yet again) being ripped off.

Then of course the operator cries 'foul' - he complied with Govt mandate to insure but did not insure against total loss (of course). And the scam continues.

Get it right Thailand - you are really looking as pathetic as you deserve.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...we regular readers and residents of Thailand all know that people should not rent the jet ski boats in the first place...but the majority of tourists do not know anything about the jet ski Mafia and the police goons who will gladly assist anyone who is a victim of the jet ski scam.

Yes hindsight says the people should have done this or that and handled it differently at the time...but when your surrounded and intimidated by all the beach goons and a police officer or police officers show up and everyone is saying: " you have to pay " ..."big problem" .....and start talking about JAIL if you dont pay..... then most people would rather pay than go to jail.

I would just like to see or hear about someone who stood up to them and said:

"OK..lets go to jail..lets get this over with ..I am not going to pay...you are not not getting a single Baht out of me." "You have insurance...deal with the insurance company.

And..." I am am going to sue you for endangering my life"

It could happen...but there would be lots of stress and grief and not a pleasant way to spend your holiday time...fighting with the local goons who quickly turn nasty and start to gang up on you all the more

There would be nothing fair about any of it.

However...I imagine a scene where someone acting as a spokesman for the victims campaigns on their behalf and somehow manages to get hundreds of ANGRY foriengners to march to the Mayors office and or the Police station... in force .....and demand that the Mayor of Phuket respond to the injustices being perpetrated against foriegn tourists.

What a lovely scene that would be.

What to do ..what to do

I guess there is no disputing this scratch. Lucky it was not one of JJ's or the bill would have been millions and your 1st born for this scratch. Why don't operators have insurance covering the ski's as well as injuries. (public liability) Is the law in Australia. Anyway looks like the yank has to pay up on this one.

What about holiday insurance?? If they were sensible enough to get a decent and comprehensive policy (covering recreational activities) especially as it looks like they enjoy water sports then they should be OK surely!!! Pay what they have to pay upfront and then claim it back.

Well...we regular readers and residents of Thailand all know that people should not rent the jet ski boats in the first place...but the majority of tourists do not know anything about the jet ski Mafia and the police goons who will gladly assist anyone who is a victim of the jet ski scam.

Yes hindsight says the people should have done this or that and handled it differently at the time...but when your surrounded and intimidated by all the beach goons and a police officer or police officers show up and everyone is saying: " you have to pay " ..."big problem" .....and start talking about JAIL if you dont pay..... then most people would rather pay than go to jail.

I would just like to see or hear about someone who stood up to them and said:

"OK..lets go to jail..lets get this over with ..I am not going to pay...you are not not getting a single Baht out of me." "You have insurance...deal with the insurance company.

And..." I am am going to sue you for endangering my life"

It could happen...but there would be lots of stress and grief and not a pleasant way to spend your holiday time...fighting with the local goons who quickly turn nasty and start to gang up on you all the more

There would be nothing fair about any of it.

However...I imagine a scene where someone acting as a spokesman for the victims campaigns on their behalf and somehow manages to get hundreds of ANGRY foriengners to march to the Mayors office and or the Police station... in force .....and demand that the Mayor of Phuket respond to the injustices being perpetrated against foriegn tourists.

What a lovely scene that would be.

What to do ..what to do

I'll be there!ph34r.gif

The "kill switch" should be attached round the wrist of the rider. If you fall off, the machines engine will stop and the ski will make a turn under momentum. If the rider did not have the kill sw round the wrist the rider is wrong.

If the kill sw was inoperative the machine should have idled back to the fallen rider.

Hotels should warn their clients not to rent ski's but then the manager would be probably shot.

What with taxis and scams in general Phuket will be a ghost town in my life time. Nasty place.

I think the shady bit in all of this is the compensation the operator expects. There's risk in everything and he should have insurance to cover incidents like this. The customer should not bear the burden of compensating him for loss of business and the cost of repairs. That's where it's going too far in my opinion.

No insurance company covers stupitity. Unless the tourist can prove the machine was at fault then he is most likely not covered.

If the customer was unable to pay at the time the insurance company may well pay the vendor, but make no mistake they would then go after the customer.

Either way the guy is going to pay cos lifes a B!tch :lol:

Insurance does cover stupidity. Otherwise your saying that it only covers things like birds dive bombing through the chassis or other natural occurrences?

What sensible action can be done by a tourist in this situation? With corrupt police is there a way to get justice?

Can you go to your embassy? Flee home without paying? Say "take me to court cause I aint paying"

What choices did this last have??

In Thailand this ain't a criminal case .it's private .. it can be settled.. upon agreement....... if you don't have the money , they can't do anything to u ............ unless the court orders you to pay and sell all your assets to pay off.....the amount ............. if you still don't have enough, they will ask you to do installments

Leaving the country while the case is not finished yet.... i don't think he can .............

but the guy won't sue him though. cos it will take such a long time,red tape to end it...... and lots of money involve + plus if he has too much free time.....

....... in the end ,,,,,,,, it's not worth.... ... taking legal action ..... nope................ it ain't a good choice...

If any of You actually check out the Price of a New Jet Ski You might be Surprised!!! Starting Price for a decent one is around 700.000 Baht and they can be Much More! I am Not Condoning the Beach Wildlife in Patong as they are all Scammers in one way or another The Entire Beach is Infested, Starting from the Car & Bike Rentals occupying the Public Parking Spaces working right down to the Waterline!!! I would have thought it is Plain to See and Common Sense should Prevail. Obviously these Tourists were 5 short of a 6 Pack? Why Rent a vehicle You can't operate??? So considering they Played Dodgems with Someones Jet Ski they Deserve to Pay!!! Looking at the Photos it is pretty well Totaled and hardly worth repairing!!!

If any of You actually check out the Price of a New Jet Ski You might be Surprised!!! Starting Price for a decent one is around 700.000 Baht and they can be Much More! I am Not Condoning the Beach Wildlife in Patong as they are all Scammers in one way or another The Entire Beach is Infested, Starting from the Car & Bike Rentals occupying the Public Parking Spaces working right down to the Waterline!!! I would have thought it is Plain to See and Common Sense should Prevail. Obviously these Tourists were 5 short of a 6 Pack? Why Rent a vehicle You can't operate??? So considering they Played Dodgems with Someones Jet Ski they Deserve to Pay!!! Looking at the Photos it is pretty well Totaled and hardly worth repairing!!!

Where do you shop? Farang special stores?

Price for a brand new jetski, the ones used for rent is 300K-350K

Furthermore, if it is totalled then why are they being charged the amount to repair? why not the amount, the jet ski would be worth same age with same mileage.?

When you smash your car, insurance does not pay the value of a brand new car but a value of the market price.

Edited by kuffki

Me thinks this one is hard to call. Maybe 50/50 with the operator coming out on top. Which I would think in most Countries would be the case?

I think the only way to insure against this happening. Is to put the operators out of businesses. By not using their services. The tour companies could and should do much more in aiding with this, by issuing their customers with guidance and warning booklets on the different Countries they are selling in their brochures and know to scam tourists.

jb1

Jetskies and corrupt police make it so fantastic !

Why shall Thai police negotiate anything ?

It is ilegal to sail a jetski in Thailand if you not have a captains license, so bust both parts instead !

When police negotiate, they participate in an ilegal business.

Same with Tuk tuks, they should be banned total, lets get taxis with meter, many other places in Thailand it works, Khon Khaen, Udon, Korat, Chiang Mai etc. all very cheap and nice !

So join "Ban tuk tuks on Phuket" on Facebook and show you not want them at all !