Phuket Tourist Forced To Pay 180,000 Baht In Jet-Ski Repairs

LivinginKata

who is still renting jets skis in Phuket??

Right!!

My thoughts too.

If you don rent one, you wont have a problem.

No pity for anyone who rides a Jet Ski anymore or anyone who even visits the LOS and has something bad happen. There has been so much negative publicity about the Thailand in general but people continue to come, maybe for the excitement, sex or whatever. I expect to die here one day, hopefully by natural causes but certainly am aware of a host of other things that can go wrong as I see it daily. MY choice though! There are alot nicer places around! Islands off Malaysia, Cambodia (out of Phnom Phen), Laos (dam_n beautiful country!), even Myanmar! Philippines etc.... the only thing that Thailand has to offer more than these places (besides Philippines) is sex! Beaches, outdoors, etc, much nicer in other countries and without the hassles. I was amazed at how nice, friendly and accommodating the Cambodians are. Been there 5 times now for holidays. Genuine smiles too! I cant remember the last time I saw someone smile in Thailand! Oh! Yes I do, it was when Secretary Somchai got the new position overseeing corruption on tourists at the Airport. He is smiling all the way to the bank!:)

While I agree anyone renting a jet ski in Thailand needs their head testing most ordinary tourists don't have the benefit of Thai Visa to know how bad these scams are. This machine on the face of it was defective, it should have stopped when the rider fell off. I wouldn't trust a Thai jet ski if it was the last mode of transport left on the planet, but some one should be warning those newly arrived visitors to the LOS of the pitfalls that we readers of TV are already well aware of.

Edited by SteveH

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jet-ski renter cannot just go out and buy another jet-ski.

Each jet-ski is licensed and the serial numbers are noted.

A new jet-ski even though it replaces another would need a new license, which apparently are not being issued anymore.

This is why he has no choice but to repair the old one.

and if he where able to register a new jet ski, it would cost 360.000 baht, so the tourist here should be happy her actions only cost her 180.000 baht in repairs

There have been some jet ski scams. This incident seems to be clean, and the tourist pays for her actions. One should learn how to operate jetskis and motorbikes before renting them

How is the the tourist's duty to pay for an accident? When you rent something, you should expect accidents to happen and those are part of your business's cost. Unless it was intentionally done, the owner should pay. If the insurance doesn't cover anything, well too bad, he could just sell sumtam instead.

The jet-ski renter cannot just go out and buy another jet-ski.

Each jet-ski is licensed and the serial numbers are noted.

A new jet-ski even though it replaces another would need a new license, which apparently are not being issued anymore.

This is why he has no choice but to repair the old one.

and if he where able to register a new jet ski, it would cost 360.000 baht, so the tourist here should be happy her actions only cost her 180.000 baht in repairs

There have been some jet ski scams. This incident seems to be clean, and the tourist pays for her actions. One should learn how to operate jetskis and motorbikes before renting them

How is the the tourist's duty to pay for an accident? When you rent something, you should expect accidents to happen and those are part of your business's cost. Unless it was intentionally done, the owner should pay. If the insurance doesn't cover anything, well too bad, he could just sell sumtam instead.

If you rent an apartment, you are responsible for anything happening to it

and a car

and a motorbike

and a jet ski

If there is any insurance covering, you are lucky

Perhaps different in your homecountry, but thats how it works here

Better Still...Ban these awful contraptions that pollute the sea..and ruin otherwise pretty tranquil locations with their awful noise...set up inland at a water park away from the beaches.

They sorted similar issues out in The Lake District UK some years back...beauty order and tranquility was restored.

Okay first of all, can we stop with the comments about banning these machines . . I for one absolutely love them, they are great fun, when ridden properly and will never stop enjoying them. I know they are noisy, and can cause disruptions, but to each their own. I am one of the ones that makes sure to give way to anything that is bigger than me, stay away from swimmers and divers, and use absolute caution.

After reading this thread, my first thoughts were scam, but to me this is a case of an accident waiting to happen. Why would anyone in the right mind rent a jet ski in such a populated beach. If you are smashing around the waters on a high powered piece of equipment close to rocks, and close to each other, its almost inevitable that something is going to come out of it. Fair enough the 20 or 30 times you do it you'll be fine, but that one instance of loss of control is going to get yourself hurt and your hip pocket.

Insurance in Thailand ? of course many of them aren't going to have insurance, look at the conditions, do you see them do a safety briefing, boat courses, safety checks, etc etc. people really need to start using their head a bit better and have a little common sense.

People speaking badly of thais should take a long hard look at themselves, and their own countries, can you honestly say there are not a few bad eggs in your own neighbourhood ? it happens everywhere. Majority of thais in my opinion are pleasant people, willing to do anything to help you, and are very courteous. Choose your locations wisely. If you are going to play rough in muddy water, of course sometimes you're going to get dirty.

Sorry about the rant, but it just ***ts me when people automatically blame the Thais, if someone did that to my machine, I would be head hunting as well. Can you imagine the premiums these people would have to pay to insurance companies around these areas ? be more expensive than what its worth.

In my opinion, they got out of this lightly, and are lucky not to have hurt others in the process . .

if you don't like thailand, then leave. go back to your home country or somewhere else.

you cannot change another people's country, neither should you.

accept the country, accept the risks, adapt to the culture.. or go.

if a tourist messes up and pays the consequences, it's his problem.. not yours.

personally i love the place and almost all the people - it's why i live in thailand.

i'd hate to see a forum like this by thai people living in my home country as well..

it would be the same advice to them - then go back to your home, you idiots.

but it's all about money isn't it.

Rarely have I seen such a load of rubbish posted anywhere about anything.

Jet Skis are fun.

Only needs half a brain to use one safely I should know

Hmmm you sure? Sorry I couldn't resist it.

jb1

I am sure about me having half I am one of the first generation Hang Glider Pilots 124 flights 100 crashes

Well then we must warne all tourist to rent thsi jetski and motorcycles yes maby even warne to travel to Thailand.

Why dont they have insurrence when they run the renting comapny

Ill be so angry everytime i see and hear this cos this is not the first case.

They even use guns to take money from tourist.

No

Ill think better stay out of Thailand.

I lived in patong beach for 12 years and never one time thought about or wanted to go on a jet-ski,the scams there have been going on for years,same with the motorbike rentals,you crash it or splash it be prepared to pay-alot.and forget the police they just hold there hands out for there cut to,its a no win situation for the tourist.just dont rent them and enjoy a less hassle free holiday.

People never learn. There's been so much bad publicity over jet skis in Thailand that anybody still riding them should expect the worst. Only for the rich.

As for the key not coming out. There used to be a trick like this in the mid 1990's. I am not surprised to read that this operator has been renting out jet skis for 30 years.

If any of You actually check out the Price of a New Jet Ski You might be Surprised!!! Starting Price for a decent one is around 700.000 Baht and they can be Much More! I am Not Condoning the Beach Wildlife in Patong as they are all Scammers in one way or another The Entire Beach is Infested, Starting from the Car & Bike Rentals occupying the Public Parking Spaces working right down to the Waterline!!! I would have thought it is Plain to See and Common Sense should Prevail. Obviously these Tourists were 5 short of a 6 Pack? Why Rent a vehicle You can't operate??? So considering they Played Dodgems with Someones Jet Ski they Deserve to Pay!!! Looking at the Photos it is pretty well Totaled and hardly worth repairing!!!

Where do you shop? Farang special stores?

Price for a brand new jetski, the ones used for rent is 300K-350K

Furthermore, if it is totalled then why are they being charged the amount to repair? why not the amount, the jet ski would be worth same age with same mileage.?

When you smash your car, insurance does not pay the value of a brand new car but a value of the market price.

This is the kicker.

Budget Rent a (insert your own vehicle) buys it at a discount due to volume purchases. They run it for 3 years with starship miles. They never service it. It has already been damaged countless times beforehand and the true value is perhaps Bt50,000 to Bt100,000. Of this the engine is the main cost and that can likely be repaired if damaged at all. Some new fibreglass belly of the beast is perhaps a few tens of thousands from your local Somchai.

I am having trouble seeing where all the problems are here. They totaled or almost totaled a jet ski. The insurance paid its limit of 50K and they got stuck with the balance of the bill. There is nothing in the report that says the BIB did anything but mediate the negotiations. In the US, if you rent a car, decline the comprehensive insurance rider and total it, then you pay for the car. You pay the price that the car rental company claims, unless you take them to court and win a reduction. The article does not say anything about threats or tea money. It is just about some fools that rented a jet ski and signed an insurance form without looking at it. They paid a pretty hefty price for their mistake. The school of hard knocks can be expensive.

Edited by Pacificperson

Nicely said and correct. Of course it would be the richest and of course that is a falang. the thinking in los comes under a whole different rule. If we were in America and Bill gates ran into your car, he would be liable and if you ran into his car your insurance would have to pay no matter who has the most money.

In Thai mind it is the richest who pays when anyone goes to dinner or has a trip. The falang is expected to pay, why?..because "they think" he/she is the richest and this goes for everything in los....Everything is backwards from the tan on your skin to who is more important. It is mind boggling but once this notion is understood then you can see why they do it...You can afford to, and it is just a drop in the bucket for you!! so the best remedy for everyone where no one is hurt more than has to be, will not be....No one takes into consideration the fact that most tourist do save and plan for a vacation to los. Thai's really and truly think you can just jump on a plane and come at the drop of a hat. they have no idea you are not filthy rich. If you don't pay, you are stinky! ....It's the mindset and uneducated society that mostly does this. It isn't an unethical thing to take a little tiny bit from a millionaire.....right?....yes it is if it's wrong as most western people understand, but not in los....This has been the downfall of many a thai falang relationship to where the guys wife thinks he is being stinky because he has all the money he has....which could be anything from 1000us to 50,000us and to them you are rich......no one see;s the bills you have or credit cards you pay or count up what you have already spent on your trip or living arrangments....just the gross is counted....

back to the point. It is Thai culture to just think it is the richest that pays....no matter what the circumstances...yes, it's extortion to be correct but that is how it is....maybe in 20-30 years things could change but as long as falang's are stupid enough to keep paying it will continue....it's life in los.....ones who move and live as we expates do have to have a very thick skin and a very mai pai ren attitude in sincerity to survive in los.....vacationing and living are two totally different things. Vacationing you will come back and say you had a wonderful time and want to come again, providing you have not been burned too bad....liiving in los.....now you will start to see the inside workings of things and the frustrations that are involved with visa's etc. it will drive you up a wall at the total lack of logic of things. Some people will make it if they have the right..hmm...mind set i suppose....but most can only take 6 mo then vacation back home again.....then come again.......full time you will be in a nut house if you have an type A personality and need to understand what is happening all the time with things. I think staying drunk much of the time helps many survive the deception of things....Anyway the reason this happens is deep down they don't like you and resent your ability to have more money and face than them. They don't like you!!!..and also pure greed!.money is worshipped more than buddha in los.....just the way it is.....no one can change it......like it or leave or be very carefull and stick to yourself and away from the seedy area's(where ever those places are) and hunker down......have a sing or chang ...and let it all out......then do it all again....hmm, I think I am rambling on now so.......much peace and happiness to all.!!....but heck ,this is a good ole Budwieser :D...ahhhhhhhhh...well, i need to get back to my book called "under the bleachers".......it's about real life in los....good book and everyone needs to read it...........that "seymore Butts" is one good author!!..........cheers....:D

None of my Thai friends or their families or my Thai family have ever expected me to pay for a meal quite the opposite in fact. Then again they are all financilally independant and actually like me. Maybe something to do with respecting them and not putting them down.

The solution isn't to get drunk, the solution is to work, meet Thais who are also financially independant due to having a work ethic, who are your own age and gain their respect. I know after reading Thai Visa it's hard to believe, but their are millions upon millions of them out there.

Will people please stop judging all Thai people by the behaviour of scheming bar girls (let's face it the majority are)and their families please for gawds sake.

Meet girls who do a days work not a nights work and you will find their families don't expect you to pay for them. Due to the high gay male population here there are millions with their biological clocks ticking - desperate to meet a man. Chok dee.

I think the shady bit in all of this is the compensation the operator expects. There's risk in everything and he should have insurance to cover incidents like this. The customer should not bear the burden of compensating him for loss of business and the cost of repairs. That's where it's going too far in my opinion.

When it is all done and over you will discover that the persons agrees to pay for the damage have Absconded so the owner of the Jet Ski will be holding the bag for everything over insurance coverage.

No different than with a car, there are different levels of insurance, the higher the coverage the higher the premium. To hold the cost down people foolishly buy the lower premium = lower coverage, again no difference than with a car. Then when there is an accident the howling starts.

Note: Many of the Jet Skis for rent are way to powerful. People are of the opinion that they can ride a 90cc motorcycle, the can handle a Jet Ski, any Jet Ski, the same as thy think they can handle a 1000cc motorcycle of which there are also many accidents with tourist in Thailand. And with the motorcycle there is one more fly in the ointment – Thailand drives on the others side of the road from many tourist’s own country.

I remember a guy I worked with (American) drove on the American side of the road, a winding mountain road outside Pattaya while hauling ass going uphill round the curve and there it was, an eighteen wheeler HEADON. That was forty years ago today the guy is still in a wheelchair.

if you don't like thailand, then leave. go back to your home country or somewhere else.

you cannot change another people's country, neither should you.

accept the country, accept the risks, adapt to the culture.. or go.

if a tourist messes up and pays the consequences, it's his problem.. not yours.

personally i love the place and almost all the people - it's why i live in thailand.

i'd hate to see a forum like this by thai people living in my home country as well..

it would be the same advice to them - then go back to your home, you idiots.

but it's all about money isn't it.

i guess you not familiar with evolution and progress?!unsure.gif

When foreigners are scammed, in anyway what so ever, or discriminated in any way what so ever, in most countries those responsible end up in court, while in Thailand those responsible get rewarded and you actually consider this fact to be normal and acceptable?blink.gif

From what you post, i have a feeling you were not very welcome in your home country, so now you have come to another country and rather then promote progress, you are promoting regress.

You should not rent a jet ski or a motorbike or even a car in case the wheels fall off. I advise that you stay in the hotel and dont go in the swimming pool without a recognised pool attendant.

Probably best to get a hotel with pool table and not go out,- but be careful with the pool que you could take some ones eye out.

My freind comes to Thailand a lot and he just sits in his room and does'nt go out , he has a great time,-- but last year he cut his finger open on a bottle opener so don't use a bottle opener without making sure the handle is secure or best ask room service to do it for you.

However he cut his head on a pop rivet in a baht bus on the way to the airport so you cant be too careful

Jet skis with an engine in it are dangerous.

Jet Ski operators make more money scams and damage than renting income.

A couple of months ago in Pattaya one jet ski operator rented a ski to a tourist who was so drunk he could not stand up he overturned the ski within 1 minute of renting it.

He was threatend for a couple of hours and then taken to the police station.

Not sure the outcome but they have been know to ask 150k for overturning a jet ski.

The jet ski scam will continue until operators are made to be fully accountable and not just pulling numbers out of their behinds for a scratch.

In my opinion they should take full responsibility for damage this way scams for fake damage would stop and a little training before rental may happen.

I am sure most people would rather pay a little more for renting if it saves getting scammed.

i find it very hard to believe that these jet ski operators are not fully insured in the first place and are not required to be so by law. This sounds totally like a scam in looking to collect double the money. Seems like the machine did not shut down like it should have and they were just waiting for this kind of thing to happen. Has the machine been inspected for tampering? Is the price the tourist has to pay just negotiated right on the street at the world of the jet ski owner? So what happens is someone doesn't have $13,000 USD to pay for one of these pieces of sh!t? They signed an insurance agreement, it's too bad it happened, that's the price of doing business, they should have machinery that has all the safety features working properly and be totally 100% insured or you can't do this to innocent people. This is a travesty. :angry:

Have you ever visited Thailand?

I doubt it.

i find it very hard to believe that these jet ski operators are not fully insured in the first place and are not required to be so by law. This sounds totally like a scam in looking to collect double the money. Seems like the machine did not shut down like it should have and they were just waiting for this kind of thing to happen. Has the machine been inspected for tampering? Is the price the tourist has to pay just negotiated right on the street at the world of the jet ski owner? So what happens is someone doesn't have $13,000 USD to pay for one of these pieces of sh!t? They signed an insurance agreement, it's too bad it happened, that's the price of doing business, they should have machinery that has all the safety features working properly and be totally 100% insured or you can't do this to innocent people. This is a travesty. :angry:

Have you ever visited Thailand?

I doubt it.

if he doesn't pay he could end up like this

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/02/20/british-national-bashed-by-pattaya-jetski-operators/

Nicely said and correct. Of course it would be the richest and of course that is a falang. the thinking in los comes under a whole different rule. If we were in America and Bill gates ran into your car, he would be liable and if you ran into his car your insurance would have to pay no matter who has the most money.

In Thai mind it is the richest who pays when anyone goes to dinner or has a trip. The falang is expected to pay, why?..because "they think" he/she is the richest and this goes for everything in los....Everything is backwards from the tan on your skin to who is more important. It is mind boggling but once this notion is understood then you can see why they do it...You can afford to, and it is just a drop in the bucket for you!! so the best remedy for everyone where no one is hurt more than has to be, will not be....No one takes into consideration the fact that most tourist do save and plan for a vacation to los. Thai's really and truly think you can just jump on a plane and come at the drop of a hat. they have no idea you are not filthy rich. If you don't pay, you are stinky! ....It's the mindset and uneducated society that mostly does this. It isn't an unethical thing to take a little tiny bit from a millionaire.....right?....yes it is if it's wrong as most western people understand, but not in los....This has been the downfall of many a thai falang relationship to where the guys wife thinks he is being stinky because he has all the money he has....which could be anything from 1000us to 50,000us and to them you are rich......no one see;s the bills you have or credit cards you pay or count up what you have already spent on your trip or living arrangments....just the gross is counted....

back to the point. It is Thai culture to just think it is the richest that pays....no matter what the circumstances...yes, it's extortion to be correct but that is how it is....maybe in 20-30 years things could change but as long as falang's are stupid enough to keep paying it will continue....it's life in los.....ones who move and live as we expates do have to have a very thick skin and a very mai pai ren attitude in sincerity to survive in los.....vacationing and living are two totally different things. Vacationing you will come back and say you had a wonderful time and want to come again, providing you have not been burned too bad....liiving in los.....now you will start to see the inside workings of things and the frustrations that are involved with visa's etc. it will drive you up a wall at the total lack of logic of things. Some people will make it if they have the right..hmm...mind set i suppose....but most can only take 6 mo then vacation back home again.....then come again.......full time you will be in a nut house if you have an type A personality and need to understand what is happening all the time with things. I think staying drunk much of the time helps many survive the deception of things....Anyway the reason this happens is deep down they don't like you and resent your ability to have more money and face than them. They don't like you!!!..and also pure greed!.money is worshipped more than buddha in los.....just the way it is.....no one can change it......like it or leave or be very carefull and stick to yourself and away from the seedy area's(where ever those places are) and hunker down......have a sing or chang ...and let it all out......then do it all again....hmm, I think I am rambling on now so.......much peace and happiness to all.!!....but heck ,this is a good ole Budwieser :D...ahhhhhhhhh...well, i need to get back to my book called "under the bleachers".......it's about real life in los....good book and everyone needs to read it...........that "seymore Butts" is one good author!!..........cheers....:D

None of my Thai friends or their families or my Thai family have ever expected me to pay for a meal quite the opposite in fact. Then again they are all financilally independant and actually like me. Maybe something to do with respecting them and not putting them down.

The solution isn't to get drunk, the solution is to work, meet Thais who are also financially independant due to having a work ethic, who are your own age and gain their respect. I know after reading Thai Visa it's hard to believe, but their are millions upon millions of them out there.

Will people please stop judging all Thai people by the behaviour of scheming bar girls (let's face it the majority are)and their families please for gawds sake.

Meet girls who do a days work not a nights work and you will find their families don't expect you to pay for them. Due to the high gay male population here there are millions with their biological clocks ticking - desperate to meet a man. Chok dee.

Maybe you can educate us a little bit about the Thai insurance companies. Do they tend to be honest and pay when it is within the rules or is mandatory insurance more of a fee that doesn't help you too much? Maybe collecting insurance is so difficult that many people don't even try. I personally don't have much experience and would like to know from a Thai.

I also thank you for what you said. I am new to Phuket, but have learned about normal Thai families and values, so I know that many of these people making statements like this really haven't gotten to know the ordinary people outside of bars. Of course there are so many farang here that you don't have to interact with the people unless they are at a bar. But there is so many really good people here when you are not hanging out in bars.

Edited by bitterbatter

Renting jet skis for 30 years and has two boats? Well he isn't exactly broke on the poverty line?

If its expensive as buying a new one, why doesn't he? I would. Also would be safer renting out a new jetski than a rebuilt wreck.

Some people are full of it. I can understand the comments about what happened to the old Thailand we loved.

Insurance does cover stupidity. Otherwise your saying that it only covers things like birds dive bombing through the chassis or other natural occurrences?

What sensible action can be done by a tourist in this situation? With corrupt police is there a way to get justice?

Can you go to your embassy? Flee home without paying? Say "take me to court cause I aint paying"

What choices did this last have??

Maybe the tourist should check and realize that he's in Thailand and I doubt the insurance company would cover this even if the renter had a valid policy. The damage on that boat is extensive and justifiable in what the vendor is asking. It's like, if you have a motorbike and damage a car or hit someone in Thailand, there is no coverage if it's your fault, you pay. Look up the rules before you drive something in a foreign country.