Phuket Officials Tackle Taxi, Tuk-Tuk Blockades

LivinginKata

Phuket officials tackle taxi, tuk-tuk blockades

phuket-1-gqNPqPA.jpg

Thai Hotels Association adviser Methee Tanmanatragul said negative reports about public transport in Phuket were ruining the island’s reputation.

PHUKET: A long-term solution to the repeated blockading of Phuket Deep Sea Port by local taxi drivers is to be in place by mid-May, a meeting of local leaders announced today.

This morning marked the first gathering of representatives from 17 government agencies and private sector groups who are to establish a formal committee to deal with tuk-tuk and taxi issues that are harming Phuket’s reputation among tourists.

Phuket Vice Governor Weerawat Janpen led the preliminary meeting, held at Phuket Provincial Hall.

Thai Hotels Association special adviser Methee Tanmanatragul told the meeting that two transport-related issues were doing great harm to the island’s reputation among tourists: the blockading of Phuket Deep Sea Port by Ao Makham taxi drivers and actual physical assault of tourists.

“At the beginning of March, 120 people from tour agencies held a meeting at the Grand Centara [hotel] in Karon. A representative from Travel Spirit, one of five biggest Australian tour companies, was hit in the head by a taxi driver at the hotel entrance. He [the driver] did not know the man’s company brings about 450,000 tourists to Phuket each year.”

News of the assault has been sent to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, and Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha has expressed concern about it, he said.

“From now on there can be no more blockades at the Deep Sea Port. Right now the reputation of Phuket is absolutely ruined, as we can see from various websites,” Mr Methee said.

On this point Mr Bhuritt added that an internet search of the terms “Phuket” and “taxi” leads to as many as 40 different websites, blogs and discussion forums, all with very negative comments about Phuket.

“Right now tour groups from Scandinavia have already stopped coming to Phuket, opting instead for Khao Lak in Phang Nga,” he said.

The situation has deteriorated to the point where Phuket faces losing tourists to rival destinations such as Malaysia and Singapore, he added.

In the short term, local taxis will be given access to 50% of tourists disembarking at the Deep Sea Port, as agreed to in an emergency meeting following the blockade of luxury cruise liner Silver Spirit earlier this month.

To establish a long-term solution a committee will be set up to consider all the issues involved. Possible solutions might include requiring all black plate taxis to legally register and to set up a management system like the one at Phuket Airport.

Mr Methee said the long-term management plan would take a few months to develop.

“But at least it's a start,” he said.

Marine Office chief Phuripat Theerakulpisut said, “Right now our officers inspect the port area every day to prevent more blockades. I have already told the taxi drivers that if they cause any more problems they will drive away tourists and will no longer be able to earn income.”

Mr Phuripat will meet with local travel agents on May 4 to hear their views on the problem, he said.

Vice Governor Weerawat asked police officers at the meeting to keep an eye on taxi drivers in Karon.

The problem of taxi drivers harming tourists occurs much more frequently in Karon than in Patong or Phuket City, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette [pg]2011-04-20

"Black plate" Taxis? That means a private car carrying paying passengers illegally. It just goes to show that the authorities have little control over anything in Phuket.

So long overdue! Twice I've been to Phuket and I refuse to go back for this very reason. I also make sure everyone else I know doesn't go there for this reason.

It won't stop the island tourism completely but surely by now it must be having some impact on tourism. Problem is it is possibly just usual Thai political rhetoric!

ermm.gif I'll believe it when I see it!

I have already told the taxi drivers that if they cause any more problems they will drive away tourists and will no longer be able to earn income

Too late . . . the world knows already now how Thailand operates things and have already stopped coming here in droves. Don't believe the approved tourist figures they keep posting, they are pulling those numbers out of the air as always. Until "Thailand" understands that tourists come here cos they "choose" to and that tourists have many other places to choose to go spend their money that is just as beautiful and nice and far cheaper now, nothing will change. At the moment, the Thai's seem to think it's their "right" to screw tourists out of as much money as they can as quickly as they can with no thought of the future . . . well, that's already coming back to bite them in the ass and it won't get any better any time soon until or unless there is a radical changes in attitude and treatment of foreigners in general. You reap what you sow.

At the end of it, the root cause of almost every problem here is ... MONEY

Its the only thing that is seemingly important to Thais - and they will get hold of it by any means possible.

From the guy at the top - to the simple worker at the bottom, however and whatever it takes.

End of.

I have already told the taxi drivers that if they cause any more problems they will drive away tourists and will no longer be able to earn income

Too late . . . the world knows already now how Thailand operates things and have already stopped coming here in droves. Don't believe the approved tourist figures they keep posting, they are pulling those numbers out of the air as always. Until "Thailand" understands that tourists come here cos they "choose" to and that tourists have many other places to choose to go spend their money that is just as beautiful and nice and far cheaper now, nothing will change. At the moment, the Thai's seem to think it's their "right" to screw tourists out of as much money as they can as quickly as they can with no thought of the future . . . well, that's already coming back to bite them in the ass and it won't get any better any time soon until or unless there is a radical changes in attitude and treatment of foreigners in general. You reap what you sow.

Good luck in the attitude adjustments. From what I can see, about the only thing that's going to help is if tourists just flat quit coming. I would like to see the tour ships find another port to go to and actually show Thailand what's what.

This bit intrigues me, "In the short term, local taxis will be given access to 50% of tourists "

So it this going to be a lottery for the tourists. 50% are allowed to be ripped off?

How does a tourist ensure he is in the taxi free category. Will immigration hand out numbered tickets, evens your ok, odds you have to use a mafia taxi?

Get rid of the Taxi mafia and make all taxis metered taxis and compell them to take people by meter (ie they can't refuse a fare if they are showing their "available" light on). Currently if you are in Phuket and want to get around you have 3 travel options and all are BLATANT RIP OFFS - by tuktuk or by taxis or by motor cycle taxi. I will NEVER go back to the s*^@ hole and I am another person who tells all of his friends to avoid the place.

Marine Office chief Phuripat Theerakulpisut said, “Right now our officers inspect the port area every day to prevent more blockades. I have already told the taxi drivers that if they cause any more problems they will drive away tourists and will no longer be able to earn income.”

'Nuf said about how seriously he takes the issue then.

Equivalent to the friendly local bobby going round to your house and telling Mum and Dad about little Johhny's bad behaviour.

[bobby = English slang for policeman]

These guys are a law unto them selves - no one with a uniform or a Govt position in Phuket will be able to (or want to) do anything as they are all on the take. Phuket justly deserves its reputation and the sooner it all folds the better. Anyone stupid enough to invest in Phuket has no chance As was told to me when I came here - only invest in Thailand what you are prepared to lose and walk away from. Never was there a truer statement. Be it real estate, or a bar girl! LOL.

Yes, i believe the Silver Sea ( Rolls Royce of Luxury Yachts) went to Phuket and could not even get off the boat because of the fear that these taxis instilled on the passengers not letting them through. Where were the cops? Many cruise ships are now making a big issue of this which is good and are now moving their ports to other countries. Shame on the people who do this! They are destroying the entire income of the island. There are some good people who make an honest living there but yet again the police let the mafia do whatever they like. Reputation of Phuket is in the toilet and i warn every one i talk to about the situation. Good luck when the money runs out! What comes around goes around.

Phuket is a dead Dinosaur. Last time I went there on business I hated every minute, the whole place is geared up to rip off the farang visitors, the beaches offer nothing special (Krabbi beaches are much nicer).

I need to be paid to go there for business, I am surprised tourists actually pay money to go there when there are much nicer places on offer.

I guess when the tour operators stop recommending and promoting the place it will collapse as a tourist destination, hotels will go out of business or pull out then all the locals will have to go back to the rubber plantations for work.

:bah:

Much ado about nothing- when I fly to Phuket I rent a car at the airport. Reasonable rates and never have to deal with all the nonsense being reported in this and countless other threads. :rolleyes:

Yes but the majority of visitors and especially group package tourists don't have this luxury available to them and are at the mercy of the various mafias.

Get rid of the Taxi mafia and make all taxis metered taxis and compell them to take people by meter (ie they can't refuse a fare if they are showing their "available" light on). Currently if you are in Phuket and want to get around you have 3 travel options and all are BLATANT RIP OFFS - by tuktuk or by taxis or by motor cycle taxi. I will NEVER go back to the s*^@ hole and I am another person who tells all of his friends to avoid the place.

Soloman, you're absolutely right. It's so simple: taxi-meters and stop this cheating and lumpsum 200 THB rip-off price per ride. No meter, no taxi anymore and there is no way they can refuse passengers when their "available light" is on. Clean up this tuk-tuk mafia and start from scrap a decent and honest system, like the A/C taxis in Bangkok or even better, the samlors in Pattaya (10 THB/ride)! Governor, you need 5 minutes of courage to do so and the problem is solved. Why is it possible in Bangkok and in Pattaya but not in Phuket? B)B)B)

Much ado about nothing- when I fly to Phuket I rent a car at the airport. Reasonable rates and never have to deal with all the nonsense being reported in this and countless other threads. :rolleyes:

I agree this sounds like a much simpler solution, but have you ever had an accident in your rental car?

Does their insurance cover foreigners 100%, bail bond etc etc! You will never know until the worst happens to you even if its a international company it can still go wrong!

These guys are a law unto them selves - no one with a uniform or a Govt position in Phuket will be able to (or want to) do anything as they are all on the take. Phuket justly deserves its reputation and the sooner it all folds the better. Anyone stupid enough to invest in Phuket has no chance As was told to me when I came here - only invest in Thailand what you are prepared to lose and walk away from. Never was there a truer statement. Be it real estate, or a bar girl! LOL.

Waw... that's a hit on the nailhead at 100%. Very correct statement!

.........yet, the tourists keep coming and coming. More and more every year.

True. I was last in Phuket in 2004 and have refused to go back since. I then thought that the numbers of tourists would fall due to the scams perpetuated there. Well, I was wrong.

Phuket gets a bad press on this site, what about in our respective countries? There have been TV shows in the UK highlighting tourist scams and tourists misbehaving, but what about elsewhere?

.........yet, the tourists keep coming and coming. More and more every year.

True. I was last in Phuket in 2004 and have refused to go back since. I then thought that the numbers of tourists would fall due to the scams perpetuated there. Well, I was wrong.

Phuket gets a bad press on this site, what about in our respective countries? There have been TV shows in the UK highlighting tourist scams and tourists misbehaving, but what about elsewhere?

I was last in Phuket in 2006. After dealing with belligerent TukTuk thugs when trying to find a place to park the car in Patong, I said never again. Since then, a couple of our friends have returned to Phuket, and they say it has gotten worse. These guys are eventually going to cut their own throats. It is just not worth the hassle.

Most people I speak with (first timers) who are travelling to Thailand always ask what they should look out for in Bangkok. No one mentions the islands Phuket with the Tuk tuk mafia, jet ski scams and crazy pricing. Samui with the non metered taxi's (metered but never turned on) Why is it that the likes of Bangkok and Chiang Mai do not have these problems? Some people need to grow a pair of balls and do something about it, it's long obverdue I for one refuses to go to Phuket, I'll take Krabi every time.

Soloman, you're absolutely right. It's so simple: taxi-meters and stop this cheating and lumpsum 200 THB rip-off price per ride. No meter, no taxi anymore and there is no way they can refuse passengers when their "available light" is on. Clean up this tuk-tuk mafia and start from scrap a decent and honest system, like the A/C taxis in Bangkok or even better, the samlors in Pattaya (10 THB/ride)! Governor, you need 5 minutes of courage to do so and the problem is solved. Why is it possible in Bangkok and in Pattaya but not in Phuket? B)B)B)

The Taxis in Phuket and most of the Restaurants have doubled price than Hua Hin or other tourist town's.

Now they wondering why people go somwhere ell's......

They change their pricing on November 1, rain or shine, tourist or no tourist. A tuk tuk ride that cost 100B on October 30 was 200B the next day.

"In the short term, local taxis will be given access to 50% of tourists disembarking at the Deep Sea Port, as agreed to in an emergency meeting following the blockade of luxury cruise liner Silver Spirit earlier this month." Tell the tourists they have the option NOT to use those tuk tuks and can arrange for a regular van.

The greedy fools are going to price themselves right out of work.....

And this is new? Tuk-tuk and taxi fares have been a problem in Phuket for as far back as I can remember. Add to that the jet-ski cons and issues with overloaded ferries - never mind natural disasters - and the plethora of social networking sites, which pass the word - positive, or negative - global-tourist-wide in minutes, and one can only express amazement that it's taken this long for the authorities to decide to take action. But then . . . TiT!