U.S. Senator Ensign announces resignation amid investigation

News_Editor

U.S. Senator Ensign announces resignation amid investigation

2011-04-22 06:28:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

LAS VEGAS (BNO NEWS) -- Embattled U.S. Senator John Ensign from Nevada on Thursday announced that he will resign next month amid an ongoing investigation relating to the extramarital affair he previously had.

Ensign, who has served in the U.S. Senate since January 2001, had already announced last month that he would not seek a third term in 2012. The announcement came amid an ongoing Senate ethics investigation over an extramarital affair.

The Republican senator publicly acknowledged for the first time in June 2009 that he had an extramarital affair with former campaign staffer Cynthia Hampton between 2007 and 2008. He also admitted that he helped Hampton's husband obtain lobbying work with a company in Nevada.

"Last year, I had an affair. I violated the vows of my marriage," Ensign said during a news conference in June 2009. "It's absolutely the worst thing I've ever done in my life. If there was ever anything that I could take back in my life, this would be it."

The announcement shattered Ensign's once bright political future and put a dramatic end to speculation that he could be a possible candidate during the 2012 presidential elections.

John Ensign and his wife, Darlene, had already sought counseling a year before the affair became public. "Through the strength of family and friends, we have rebuild our marriage [and] now it's even stronger than ever," Ensign said in 2009, adding that Darlene had forgiven him.

But Ensign's troubles were just the beginning. Several investigations were launched by the Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Federal Election Commission and the Senate Ethics Committee. All but one of them have since concluded their investigations, without charges.

"I was hopeful that, with the closure of these investigations against me the wear and tear on my family and me would soon be over. This was not the case," Ensign said in a statement on Thursday.

Ensign pointed out that, even though it is their right, the Senate Ethics Committee has recently decided to continue its investigation. "The Committee even decided recently to devote more resources to its investigation by hiring an outside counsel even though the issues have been viewed and reviewed by so many others," Ensign said.

Ensign meanwhile insists that he does not believe he violated any law, rule, or standard of conduct of the Senate by having an affair with one of his staff members. "I will not continue to subject my family, my constituents, or the Senate to any further rounds of investigation, depositions, drawn out proceedings, or especially public hearings," Ensign said. "For my family and me, this continued personal cost is simply too great."

The politician said he came to office in 2001 with the pledge to make the United States a better place. "I will continue to fight for a better country and for a future that our children deserve. I cannot fully express what serving the people of Nevada has meant to me, but I will try to repay them for their trust for the rest of my life," he added.

On Friday, Ensign said, he will send a letter to U.S. Vice President Joe Biden to state that his resignation from office is effective as of May 3.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-22

Disgusting.

Senator Ensign, who is a self professed born again "Christian" was one of those that attacked President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky non event and decried the lack of morality.

Ensign made sexual morality an issue in his 1998 campaign against Democrat Senator Harry Reid. Interesting enough, he was a defender of Republican Oregon Senator Bob Packwood who was implicated in multiple incidents of sexual misconduct subject to sanction by Congress.

Disgusting.

Senator Ensign, who is a self professed born again "Christian" was one of those that attacked President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky non event and decried the lack of morality.

Ensign made sexual morality an issue in his 1998 campaign against Democrat Senator Harry Reid. Interesting enough, he was a defender of Republican Oregon Senator Bob Packwood who was implicated in multiple incidents of sexual misconduct subject to sanction by Congress.

Disgusting?

• Ensign wasn't a defender of Packwood, he just argued that calls for Bob Packwood's ouster came before any official investigation results by the same people who defended a President when this president had to face similar allegations. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/1998/sep/29/reid-ensign-lacks-maturity-in-clinton-case/
  • Ensign felt in love with the 'wrong' person. Had an affair. He would probably describe it as his flesh was weak and called it the worst thing he has ever done in his life. Something that is actually just human according to some and not really that worse. :giggle:
  • Ensign admitted this affair, was honest. A President denied similar things. A non event according to some. There were no emotions involded, receiving blowjobs is not sex, the President said later, it is just an "improper physical relationship". :jerk:
  • Investigations were launched by the Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Federal Election Commission and the Senate Ethics Committee. All but one of them have since concluded their investigations, without charges. ... , the Senate Ethics Committee has recently decided to continue its investigation
  • Ensign isn't the President. Ensign resigns.

Where is the disgusting part?

[Where is the disgusting part?

In answer to your question, the Ensign affair relates to allegations of payoffs and the use of position to effect a coverup. Senator Ensign’s resignation was effected just one day before he was to have to answer questions under oath about whether a $96,000 payment to the family of his former lover was illegal and designed to keep the affair from becoming public. The resignation is intended to provide protection to Senator Ensign to ensure that the Senate Ethics Committee itself cannot prosecute him in the scandal surrounding his affair with an aide.

Although the investigation record will most likely now never become public, as the rules require that the accused lawmaker be given an opportunity to review the record and contest any documents before they are released, the NYT reports that the Senate Ethics Committee can still choose to make some kind of a public statement — even after Mr.Ensign resigns — detailing material it had turned up in its investigation. It can also still make a referral to the Department of Justice asking it to consider criminal charges based on any evidence of wrongdoing it might have found.

It is interesting that two years ago when he thought he had stymied the investigation Republican Sen. John Ensign had this to say about an ethics investigation and the possibility that he would resign: “If I was concerned about that, I would resign. That would make the most sense, because then it goes away.... Resigning would be admitting guilt, and I did not do the things that they're saying.”

The issue that is disgusting is that Senator Ensign focused in on President Clinton’s relationship with Lewinsky. He didn't shy away from trying to exploit the moral trip-ups in Clinton's personal life to benefit himself and the GOP. His speeches were filled with cheap shots at the Democrats and the President. The difference between Clinton and Ensign is that Clinton isn’t alleged to bribed anyone or used his position to provide business to people in an effort to cover up an activity.

The issue that is disgusting is that Senator Ensignfocused in on President Clinton’s relationship with Lewinsky. He didn't shyaway from trying to exploit the moral trip-ups in Clinton's personal life tobenefit himself and the GOP. His speeches were filled with cheap shots at the Democrats and the President. The difference between Clinton and Ensign is that Clinton isn’t alleged tobribed anyone or used his position to provide business to people in an effort to cover up an activity.

I see. Cheap shots, never be shy to push the morality buzzer. That is the disgusting part. :whistling:

The issue that is disgusting is that Senator Ensignfocused in on President Clinton's relationship with Lewinsky. He didn't shyaway from trying to exploit the moral trip-ups in Clinton's personal life tobenefit himself and the GOP. His speeches were filled with cheap shots at the Democrats and the President. The difference between Clinton and Ensign is that Clinton isn't alleged tobribed anyone or used his position to provide business to people in an effort to cover up an activity.

I see. Cheap shots, never be shy to push the morality buzzer. That is the disgusting part. :whistling:

More specifically, the hypocrisy. It seems that alot of Republican Senators seem to get hoisted by their own underwear.

More specifically, the hypocrisy. It seems that alot of Republican Senators seem to get hoisted by their own underwear.

That's just because the media gives Democrats a free pass - unless it is too big like the Lewinsky perjury case. That's only because Matt Drudge brought it to light.

Dem John Edwards was VP candidate in 2004 and cheated on his dying wife during the campaign. Even had a child with the woman. The MSM ignored it but once some supermarket rag came out with it they couldn't anymore.

The Barney Frank scandal of the 1980's is another good example. I believe Barney let his gay lover run a gay brothel out of his taxpayer paid for Washington DC residence. Even in the less tolerant 1980's Barney got a free pass but fast forward 20 years and a Republican gets run out of Congress for tapping his foot in a bathroom stall at an airport because it is seen as some sort of gay signal.

Bottomline is that politicians regardless of party are scum - even the ones I support. Some just get treated better by the media.

Edited by koheesti

re: ensign ; good riddance to bad trash

re: hypocrisy. ; let's not forget Gingrich was cheating on his DYING wife while he was helping to drag the country through the WORTHLESS impeachment process

Edited by jackdawson

The Monica Lewinski "non-event" O yeah I remember that./, Where Cintonboy dragged our country through the mud & made the USA the laughing stock of the world.

Libs make me want to vomit. read my sig.

But I have noticed lately that your leader, quoting from the dem playbook "Rules For Radicals" Accuse your opponent of all the underhanded crap you are pulling.

re: hypocrisy. ; let's not forget Gingrich was cheating on his DYING wife while he was helping to drag the country through the WORTHLESS impeachment process

Yeah hypocrisy. :whistling:

That is when you one thing a "non event" and play the 'sexual morality' card in another issue.

The non event wasn't only about an 'improper physical relationship' but the way the President dealt with it. And that was quite different to the Ensign case.

I really don't care about the sexual proclivities of others. That is an issue for themselves and their loved ones.

I do care if the Senator used his position to get funds into the family of the women with whom he had the affair. I don't know if he did or not, but if he did, that does cross over the line.

To a lessor extent, I do care about hypocrisy. If I read this correctly, he came down against President Clinton for his affair, yet he stooped to the same thing. Neither Clinton's nor his sexual activities matter more than a hill of beans to me, but if he castigated Clinton, then he is a hypocrite for doing the same thing.

(Actual, to clarify, while I don't care what Bill Clinton the man did outside his marriage bed, I was and still am disappointed that he didn't put his office above that of his personal proclivities.)

Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice in matters relating to the Lewinsky affair, Paula Jones sexual harassment suit and Whitewater.

This is where his famous comments about parsing came about... "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement".

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/icreport/report/6narrit.htm#N_1091_

He wasn't impeached for having sex, he was impeached for lying about it, and other things.

Embattled U.S. Senator John Ensign from Nevada on Thursday announced that he will resign next month amid an ongoing investigation relating to the extramarital affair he previously had.

In related news, Senator Ensign announced that he will move to Pattaya for spiritual reasons.

Nonsense. Your allegation he was cheating on his DYING wife while he was helping in the impeachment process is patently untrue

That Gingrich had some affairs is not in doubt.

Gingrich cheated on his first wife while she was under treatment for cancer in 1981. They were divorced and he remarried six months later. His wife was not DYING and this occurred 18 years prior to the Clinton impeachment.

I suppose you could call part of your post true. His first wife is still alive but, as we all are, she is in the process of DYING. It just hasn't happened yet.

Sometimes, facts get in the way of a good story.

http://marriage.about.com/od/politics/a/gingrichn_2.htm

Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice in matters relating to the Lewinsky affair, Paula Jones sexual harassment suit and Whitewater.

This is where his famous comments about parsing came about... "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement".

He wasn't impeached for having sex, he was impeached for lying about it, and other things.

http://www.gpoaccess...rit.htm#N_1091_

President Clinton was acquitted by the Senate, so conversely he was not guilty of the perjury and the obstruction charges. President Clinton faced the hearings. Senator Ensign has run away.

Senator Ensign was being investigated for bribery, influence peddling and abuse of office.

As an aside, although I disagreed with many of Senator Ensign's positions, I have alot of respect for him in respect to his efforts in respect to animal welfare. He will end up on his feet somewhere, once he pays the immediate cost of his stupid decsion(s).

President Clinton was acquitted by the Senate, so conversely he was not guilty of the perjury and the obstruction charges. President Clinton faced the hearings. Senator Ensign has run away.

Senator Ensign was being investigated for bribery, influence peddling and abuse of office.

As an aside, although I disagreed with many of Senator Ensign's positions, I have alot of respect for him in respect to his efforts in respect to animal welfare. He will end up on his feet somewhere, once he pays the immediate cost of his stupid decsion(s).

Yeah, Clinton wasn't guilty but for some reason had his law license suspended for 5 years or so - and he still paid Paula Jones close to a million dollars.

I never claimed he was convicted, but he was impeached by the House and tried in the Senate. He was acquitted on a party line vote. The vote, in truth, had little to do with guilt or innocence.

Clinton could hardly have run away from the situation he found himself in. He was, after all, the Commander in Chief.

PS: I am no longer anti-Clinton. The more I see of Obama, the more I like Bill.

I'm even worse. The more I see Obama the more I think Hillary could do a good job. That was probably her plan all along.

btw - Nixon didn't go to jail either, does that make him not guilty?

I'm even worse. The more I see Obama the more I think Hillary could do a good job. That was probably her plan all along.

btw - Nixon didn't go to jail either, does that make him not guilty?

As I remember it, Nixon resigned from office with an agreement that he would not be impeached. Guilty of a lot of things, probably also war crimes as well.

Republicans? Democrats? Any getting a free pass by the media?

From my experience, a reporter lives for the day he or she can take down a politician. It doesn't matter to them the politician's affiliation. It is just that there is a perverse almost sense of glee among the American public when the mighty are taken down. So whether is it a Democrat who has $200,000 in his freezer or a Republican who has been texting sexual messages to former pages, the media will take any opening and run with it.

I don't believe the "liberal media" or Fox gives any politician a free pass when it comes to scandals.

Man you libs have a selective memory. Kennedy got us into Viet Nam. Johnson ramped it up massively & Nixon inherited the mess.

War Crimes? Maybe Barack can be tried for war crimes in Libya. Liberal hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I'm not a liberal.Don't label people you don't know.

To me the bombing of Cambodia counts as war crime. This was during the time that Nixon was President of the USA

There is no hypocrisy - everyone should be bound by the same set of standards for something such as war crimes. If Obama committed war crimes he should also be brought to justice.

Republicans? Democrats? Any getting a free pass by the media?

From my experience, a reporter lives for the day he or she can take down a politician. It doesn't matter to them the politician's affiliation. It is just that there is a perverse almost sense of glee among the American public when the mighty are taken down. So whether is it a Democrat who has $200,000 in his freezer or a Republican who has been texting sexual messages to former pages, the media will take any opening and run with it.

I don't believe the "liberal media" or Fox gives any politician a free pass when it comes to scandals.

With one major exception. The liberal media created Barack Hussein Obama. They backed him to the hilt. They are fully invested in him. They want him to succeed. They ignore the fact that he despises his own country.

Then let's look at Maxine Waters. Where is the obamamaniamedia screaming for her head after she helped bail out the bank that her husband works for??? Never happen.

That other woman from Texas is as a disgusting piece of road kill as you are ever gonna find. They make slime like Schumer & Durban look clean by comparison. Sheila Jackson Lee.

from Post #28 They want him to succeed... Mr. Obama is the President of the United States. I want him to succeed ... When George W. Bush was the President I wanted him to succeed ... as with Presidents GHW Bush and Reagan before ... Why would any US citizen NOT want a US President to succeed ... except, well, ...