Thai, Cambodian Troops In New Border Clash

webfact

Thai, Cambodian troops in new border clash

BANGKOK, April 22, 2011 (AFP) - Thai and Cambodian troops clashed with gunfire and artillery shells on Friday, shattering a two-month lull in long-standing tensions at their disputed border.

The fighting broke out near Ta Muean Tom temple on the border in Pa Nom Dong Rak district of Thailand's Surin province. There were no immediate reports of casualties.

"Cambodian soldiers fired with assault rifles at Thailand first and now they started to shell us with artillery and we took appropriate retaliation," Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwon told AFP.

"I think Cambodia wanted to take over temples on the border," he said.

The two countries regularly accuse each other of starting border fighting.

The Cambodian side also confirmed the latest clash.

"The clash started shortly before 6 am (2300 GMT Wednesday). I am monitoring it now. It has not stopped yet," said Cambodian defence ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat.

The Thai-Cambodia border has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines left over from decades of war in Cambodia.

A festering dispute between the two countries over land near a different temple erupted into four days of fighting in February, leaving at least 10 people dead and prompting a UN appeal for a lasting ceasefire.

Thailand and Cambodia each accused the other of starting those clashes, which erupted around the 900-year-old Hindu temple of Preah Vihear.

Ties between the neighbours have been strained since Preah Vihear was granted UN World Heritage status in July 2008.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but both countries claim ownership of a 4.6 square kilometre (1.8 square mile) surrounding area.

Observers say the temple dispute has been used as a rallying point to stir nationalist sentiment in Thailand and Cambodia.

The two countries agreed in late February to allow Indonesian observers in the area near Preah Vihear, but the Thai military has since said they are not welcome.

Thailand recently admitted using controversial Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munitions during the February fighting but insisted it did not classify them as cluster munitions.

The arms are defined as cluster munitions by the global campaign group Cluster Munition Coalition (CMC), which condemned Thailand's use of the weapons.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-22

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Border skirmish occurs in Surin

Residents of a village in Surin were evacuated Friday morning after it was hit by artillery shelling by Cambodian troops.

The skirmish near the disputed ancient temples of Tamuen and Takwai near the Thai Santisuk Village in Tambon Bakdai in Phanom Dongrak district happened at 6 am.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-22

Gosh........... again...........and Again.................. .........

pre-election period ..... Freak things can happen ............ everyday............though...

:jap: make love not war..................dude.........

the borders sealed too?

It's quiet now, at about 08.15. I didn't see the tanks or soldiers, but I'm close enough to be woken up by the gun fire, very scaring...

fatfather

really be safe....................... bless you

Fatfather and I live very close to each other, and I can confirm that the noise has stopped now, but this time the sound was not only gunfire but some very large explosions for about 30 minutes.

Possibly time to keep the Passport in your jeans 24/7 again.

pre-election period ..... Freak things can happen ............ everyday............though...

the borders sealed too?

A case again for a private detective-say Miss Marples ?? WHO DUNNIT FIRST. I suggest give both sides LEGO and construct something to pass the time away, and take their mind off skirmish games. Who is in command here ?? someone is telling to soldiers to open fire, or are they both returning fire as no one started it ? maybe a coincidence they both fored at the same time.

The Artillery pounding just stopped a minute ago. Woke up to it around 6:30am.

<deleted>?

Yesterday a Thai airforce Jet did a fly by. No idea what it was up to.

My wife's family (at the border)ran last night they said. They are all coming to set up camp on my farm. Should be a hell of a party. All the kids are very scared.

Edited by HappyDavid

It's quiet now, at about 08.15. I didn't see the tanks or soldiers, but I'm close enough to be woken up by the gun fire, very scaring...

fatfather

really be safe....................... bless you

Fatfather and I live very close to each other, and I can confirm that the noise has stopped now, but this time the sound was not only gunfire but some very large explosions for about 30 minutes.

Possibly time to keep the Passport in your jeans 24/7 again.

wow....................................... very bad....

be alert ............ yep do that.... prepare.... to leave when needed......then

God bless you............ all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................

the borders sealed too?

A case again for a private detective-say Miss Marples ?? WHO DUNNIT FIRST. I suggest give both sides LEGO and construct something to pass the time away, and take their mind off skirmish games. Who is in command here ?? someone is telling to soldiers to open fire, or are they both returning fire as no one started it ? maybe a coincidence they both fored at the same time.

Thai maybe................... to make it an excuse in order to stock up new weapon toys... .... and get commission for it..

or Hun Sen ........................................................ wanna catch attention again after been quiet for a couple of months.... lest Cambodian people forget him

or make it a coincidence............

Edited by dunkin2012

As Many As 6 Thai Soldiers Injured in Border Clashes, 3 Critically

Reports suggest that as many as six Thai soldiers have been injured in border clashes with Cambodia. Of the six, three are in critical condition. The Region 2 Army commander has come out to insist that Cambodia initiated the clash. Negotiations are underway for a cease fire.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-22

footer_n.gif

....and it's going on, 09.00. Like before, gun fire and as Thaddeus mentioned before it's tank/artillery fire as well....

fatfather

Just now the villagers came to my house and said that preparations are made to evacuate the area. 36 villages are to be evacuated I was told. I wait what develops...

Things remain calm around Preah Vihear Temple after communications btw troops on both sides. /via @tulsathit /via@doveartist

'Remain calm' is pushing it a bit, it's now 9:40am and the artillery fire has only just stopped.

One Thai soldier killed in new clash along Thai-Cambodian border

2011-04-22 09:44:51 GMT+7 (ICT)

BANGKOK, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) -- At least one soldier was killed and five others were wounded after Cambodian and Thai soldiers clashed on Friday morning along their common border.

Thai-ASEAN News Network reported that one Thai soldier who sustained critical injuries died from his wounds, while two others remain in critical condition.

The cause of the clash is still unknown, but the Region 2 Army commander insists that Cambodia initiated it.

The Bangkok Post earlier reported that noises of gunfire were heard starting about 6am along the border between Ta Kwai and Ta Muen temple ruins. Residents in the area had begun to evacuate after artillery rounds landed on the village.

Tensions first escalated between the two countries in July 2008 following the build-up of military forces near the Preah Vihear temple. The United Nations Security Council urged both sides to establish a permanent ceasefire after at least 10 people were killed.

Clashes resumed in February as both nations claim the lands surrounding the Hindu temple. The border conflict has damaged the temple which dates back to the 11th century and is located on the Cambodian side of the border. UNESCO sent a mission to asses the situation.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-22

It's very close now (09.45am). I live 5km from Cambodian border and 5km to Surin province, the very south east of Buri Rum. Get my family to pack as much as possible and stay ready to leave. To leave the house and everithing behind because of the clashes is one thing, but the past showed that the locals who will stay in the empty village do not only watch/protect the area, they used to use the time to surch the houses as well. But there is nothing I can do about this, the families safety is first. First villagers are leaving, I'm still waiting a little bit. Unfortunately there is only very few official info except the approaching shellfire.

fatfather

Looks like it was too long out of the press for someones liking....

Who do you mean by someone? General Prayuth - that could make sense.

If you mean (Oh God, it's scarcely possible, is it?) Thaksin, I am nominating you as a contender for the Sriracha John memorial prize for the most irrelevant introduction of the great demon into an unrelated thread.

Looks like it was too long out of the press for someones liking....

Who do you mean by someone? General Prayuth - that could make sense.

If you mean (Oh God, it's scarcely possible, is it?) Thaksin, I am nominating you as a contender for the Sriracha John memorial prize for the most irrelevant introduction of the great demon into an unrelated thread.

Very noble of you to surrender your award.

Animatic's comment could have meant several things.

One dead in Thai-Cambodia border clash

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, April 22, 2011 (AFP) - Thai and Cambodian troops clashed with gunfire and artillery shells on Friday, leaving one soldier dead and shattering a two-month lull in long-standing tensions at their disputed border.

Both sides blamed each other for starting the fighting, which broke out in the early morning near the Ta Krabei and Ta Muean Tom temples and was still continuing several hours later.

The Thai army said one of its soldiers was killed and five others wounded.

"Cambodian soldiers fired with assault rifles at Thailand first and now they started to shell us with artillery and we took appropriate retaliation," Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwon told AFP.

"I think Cambodia wanted to take over temples on the border," he said.

Cambodia accused Thai troops of entering 0.4 kilometers (0.25 miles) into its territory.

"The Thai troops marched directly towards Cambodian troop positions stationed at Cambodia's Ta Krabei temple and launched unprovoked attacks," said government spokesman Phay Siphan.

"This is yet another invasion by Thailand on Cambodia. We cannot accept this."

The Thai-Cambodia border has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines left over from decades of war in Cambodia.

Fierce fighting in February near the 900-year-old Hindu temple of Preah Vihear further east along the border left at least 10 people dead and prompted a UN appeal for a lasting ceasefire.

The two countries accused each other of starting those clashes too.

Ties between the neighbours have been strained since Preah Vihear was granted UN World Heritage status in July 2008.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but both countries claim ownership of a 4.6 square kilometre (1.8 square mile) surrounding area.

Observers say the temple dispute has been used as a rallying point to stir nationalist sentiment in Thailand and Cambodia.

The two countries agreed in late February to allow Indonesian observers in the area near Preah Vihear, but the Thai military has since said they are not welcome.

In February, UN Security Council members, meeting in New York, called for "maximum restraint" by the two countries and a permanent ceasefire.

Cambodia has called for outside mediation to help end the standoff, but Thailand insists the dispute should be resolved through bilateral talks.

Thailand recently admitted using controversial Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munitions during the February fighting but insisted it did not classify them as cluster munitions.

The arms are defined as cluster munitions by the global campaign group Cluster Munition Coalition (CMC), which condemned Thailand's use of the weapons.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-22