Report: Hezbollah terror attack on Israelis abroad expected 'within days'

News_Editor

Report: Hezbollah terror attack on Israelis abroad expected 'within days'

2011-04-22 09:21:19 GMT+7 (ICT)

JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) -- The Lebanese militant organization Hezbollah is planning to carry out a terrorist attack against Israelis abroad within days, the Jerusalem Post reported on Friday, citing security sources.

The newspaper said there was no information about where exactly the attack could take place, but it comes as many Israelis are abroad for the week-long Passover holiday which commemorates the story of the Exodus, in which the ancient Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt.

As a result of the terror threat, security is being stepped up at potential Jewish and Israeli targets overseas, the sources told the Jerusalem Post. They said Hezbollah operative Talal Hamia is the commander of a small but well-organized overseas unit which has been tasked with carrying out the attack.

Hamia is alleged to have been involved in the 1992 truck bombing of the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, killing 29 people and injuring more than 200 others. He is also suspected of being involved in the 1994 bombing of the Argentine Israelite Mutual Association (AMIA) building in Buenos Aires, killing 85 people and injuring more than 300 others.

The security sources told the Jerusalem Post that the attack is believed to be imminent and could take place within several days, indicating such an attack might be planned to coincide with Passover.

Hezbollah is reportedly seeking to avenge the 2008 assassination of Imad Mughniyah, who was a senior member of Hezbollah. He was allegedly involved in a number of bombings, including the 1983 attack on the U.S. embassy in Beirut which left more than 60 people killed.

In February, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said several of its embassies would raise security after receiving terror threats. "A number of unusual events against Israeli embassies have recently been identified. At this point we estimate that a threat exists against these locations and it is being dealt with," a statement issued in February said.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-22

Sounds pretty serious this time. Perhaps a wise choice to give Israeli branded businesses, etc. a miss for the time being.

And allow the terrorists to win?

I suggest the UK example be followed. Did you see the population cowering and hiding during the height of their terrorism difficulties? Vigelance and caution yes. Running away and surrendering to the objectives of the terrorists, no.

I do not think Hezbollah has hands as far out as Thailand, but then again everything is possible. Having at least certain region would be a huge advantage, otherwise Israeli's can not really go anywhere in the world.

I am more inclined to believe HIzbollah will strike within Israel rather then anywhere else, but i am no expert.

Anyhow be safe and vigilant and lets hope the attempt will fail or stopped in time

I do not think Hezbollah has hands as far out as Thailand, but then again everything is possible. Having at least certain region would be a huge advantage, otherwise Israeli's can not really go anywhere in the world.

I am more inclined to believe HIzbollah will strike within Israel rather then anywhere else, but i am no expert.

Anyhow be safe and vigilant and lets hope the attempt will fail or stopped in time

There's much to indicate that you might be wrong about that.

Thailand was specifically mentioned as one of the potential target countries in a recent report from Israel.

Actually now you come to mention it Thailand does get a lot of Israeli tourists. Perhaps best avoid full moon parties this month as people dancing and enjoying themselves is probably cause enough for a jihaddist.

Just out of interest has there been any attacks in other countries other then middle east where Hisbollah claimed responsibility?

Please note i am not arguing if Thailand is a target or not, just genuinely trying to clarify.

Just out of interest has there been any attacks in other countries other then middle east where Hisbollah claimed responsibility?

Please note i am not arguing if Thailand is a target or not, just genuinely trying to clarify.

Yes!

April 12, 1984: Hezbollah attacks a restaurant near the U.S. Air Force Base in Torrejon, Spain. The bombing kills eighteen U.S. servicemen and injures 83 people.

March 17, 1992: With the help of Iranian intelligence, Hezbollah bombs the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, killing 29 and injuring over 200.

July 18, 1994: Hezbollah bombs the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires–again with Iranian help–killing 86 and injuring over 200.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes!

March 17, 1992: With the help of Iranian intelligence, Hezbollah bombs the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, killing 29 and injuring over 200.

July 18, 1994: Hezbollah bombs the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires–again with Iranian help–killing 86 and injuring over 200.

K, but i thought Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for both. No doubt they have links and always have Iran in the background, but any where it was a direct Hezbollah claim?

Yes!

April 12, 1984: Hezbollah attacks a restaurant near the U.S. Air Force Base in Torrejon, Spain. The bombing kills eighteen U.S. servicemen and injures 83 people.

Whats your source?

I could not find anything reliable about the April 12, 1984 bombing in Spain, killing 18 US servicemen.

However i could find something about a bomb attack that occurred on April 12, 1985 in Spain at the El Descanso restaurant only five miles away from the U.S. air base at Torrejon. The explosion killed 18 Spaniards and injured 82 others. No U.S. Servicemen were killed, but 11 Americans injured.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,966901,00.html

The bombing was claimed by several terrorist groups, including the Basque ETA, Islamic Jihad, and the Armed Organization of the Jewish People. Some officials believed the bombing was the work of Middle Eastern terrorists, while others attributed it to a far-left militant group called GRAPO.

The Islamic Jihad link was investigated but the case was closed in 1987 due to a lack of evidence.