1St Or 2Nd Waiver?

I have now been out of teaching for a year. I have been offered a position near to my home with a good contract. I am thinking that I will probably take it.

The school seem very efficient with all the documents and seem to know what is needed. I am not the only Native Speaker there so they have done it all before. They have shown me the documnets that they are preparing for me and when they are complete they want me to personally go to Teachers Council to apply for a waiver. I've had one before but it expired in March 2010,over a year ago.

So it is likely that this time round will be looked upon by the TCT as my 2nd waiver.

The school have never mentioned anything about the culture course. 64000 dollar question. What is going on now with the TCT?

What do they want? Will they think I am on 1st or 2nd waiver? My first waiver was for Government school. This one is for a Private school. Different?

I'm not trying to get away with anything by the way. I have spent my year off working towards the Licence requirements but am not there yet. I am hapy to do the culture course, if required and also if available.

It is along way from here to Bangkok and I would like to get it right first time.

I was thinking that at this time of year there are probably many people applying for waivers/licences. Any first hand experiences could be helpful.

Thanks

What do they want? Will they think I am on 1st or 2nd waiver? My first waiver was for Government school. This one is for a Private school. Different?

It'll be your second provisional teaching permit (waiver).

I have spent my year off working towards the Licence requirements but am not there yet.

So you did one or more sections of the Professional Knowledge Tests? Which one did you pass?

I am hapy to do the culture course, if required and also if available.

The Thai Culture, Language and Ethics Course is a part of the requirements. Currently the course seems to be postponed.

I was thinking that at this time of year there are probably many people applying for waivers/licences.

That's correct.

Search around on this sub-forum or Google for "TCT teacher license".

I am on my second waiver. Our department does this for us, so there is no need to personally go to the Teachers Council. I took the culture course three years ago, so that requirement was already met.

The condition for getting the second waiver was that I had to sign up for the tests showing that i am working towards meeting the TL requirement which I took last year. I only passed 1 out of 4, but still working towards meeting the requirement, so that seems like enough for the Teachers Council and labor office in my district.

Many teachers have gotten 2nd-3rd waivers without taking the tests. TIT. Good Luck.

Thanks mizzi39. Earlier we had a discussion whether taking the tests would count for getting the waiver. You've given the answer.

Many teachers have gotten 2nd-3rd waivers without taking the tests. TIT. Good Luck.

I don't think there are any foreign teachers with a 3rd waiver as the rule became enforced in April 2008.

The Thai culture course is still being offered. Check this link:

The thing that bothers me about these Culture Tests that are running at the moment is that there is no way of checking whether they are accepted by the MOE/TC or not. Is there anyway of checking? I mean at least with the tests they're all on the kurusapa website, so it's already verified. The culture courses at present are links to unofficial websites, with phone numbers of people you have no idea about, who want you to send them money. Plus the fact that they're in central Thailand which is a right pain for anyone who doesn't live near Bangkok.

I think i'll just try and sit the tests for the moment and hopefully that will be enough for me to get another waiver.