Grapevines And How To Grow Them

Somebody gave us some old woody vines which we planted and they have obviously taken root, since they are producing plenty of leaf.

What I want to know is what to do next in order to produce some fruit. All the information suggests that they must be pruned. But all the websites I could find were talking about growing grapes in a more northern climate.

So when should I prune them here?

When is the season for grapes in Thailand anyway?

Any advice from anyone experienced in this would be very welcome.

Once the vines are up the stake and start down the wire? runner, one branch each direction. Pruning would probably be best in early spring before new growth starts, this way you can determine any runners that have died over the cool, dry season and prune accordingly. I do not have grapes here in Thailand but in the real world I waited until spring and the initial swelling of new buds to prune. Someone with local experience may give better answers as there are vineyards here in the north.

Once the vines are up the stake and start down the wire? runner, one branch each direction. Pruning would probably be best in early spring before new growth starts, this way you can determine any runners that have died over the cool, dry season and prune accordingly. I do not have grapes here in Thailand but in the real world I waited until spring and the initial swelling of new buds to prune. Someone with local experience may give better answers as there are vineyards here in the north.

If your vines are vigorous, you can prune them twice a year,

I prune my vines in early in the dry season to avoid wet weather problems and give the vines plenty of sun for bud formation.

When pruning, you must strip all remaining leaves to induce a short resting period for the vine.

Also, you can withhold watering untill new buds appear.

Fruit will mature in 4/5 month, six month later you can do it again, or give it a rest.

Best regards

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Been trying for three years now just keep killing them.

To much water not enough water no idea.

Have had a problem with some sort of fungus growing on them.

I dug out the normal soil and put in potting soil, thrying to give them a better start I haev managed to keep three alive now for a year.

Odd, grape vines are fairly hardy, grow in ordinary soils.

Where are you located?

The fungus is powdery mildew; vines need to be protected in the rainy season.

Or you can spray.

Udon Thani,

I may have been over watering them. We found the spray