What Is The Meaning Of Cha Ba At The End Of A Question?

KiLroy

whenever my friend wants to convince me of something, she usually ends her sentence which sounds something like "cha ba?" . I gathered its means something like "isnt it" or "am I correct?" Can anyone tell me exactly what that means?

Edited by KiLroy

I suppose she sais.... chai mai which literally translated means yes/no?

So she asks you whether you agree or not.

Example:

Our car is red "chai mai"

If you have a red car you answer "chai = yes"

If not you answer "may chai = no"

If she is trying to convince you the question may be retorical.

Since she is a woman you just agree unless.........

I can comprehend chai mai but I definitely heard it like "cha ba?". I know my reply will be a yes or no but just wasn't sure what that two syllables means. Could be rhetorical but need someone to confirm.

So "cha ba" does exist and it means chai rue bplao in short? Is this a slang? As I can't find in any dictionary.

She is from Bangkok.

It isn't common proper Thai for BKK. Slang? I haven't heard it. (I lived in BKK for most of my 8+ years in Thailand so far.)

In pretty common/colloquial usage, Bkk and elsewhere as far as I know from my Thai teacher. It happened to come up in class on Friday..

If you say so ... :) I haven't heard it but tbh the vast majority of my Thai friends in BKK wouldn't use much slang on that order :) I don't hear it in common speech elsewhere either :) It could easily be just an experiential thing ... different folks experience Thailand in different ways ;)

JD,

Not heard it very often myself, and I've been in Thailand (mostly living in BKK) for 6 years. One of the other students brought it up and the teacher explained it as I said above. Guess unless you are listening for it, or, as you said, in the right situation, then you might not hear it. I agree, everyone has different experiences. Some people I know think I am really advanced with my Thai compared to them, and I vice versa; it is mostly down to vocab we pick up that others have not yet experienced. Vocab in a slum is not going to be the same as used in a palace; to take two extremes. If your hobby is model railways and talk to Thais and read Thai about that, then you are not going to have the same vocab as someone who only talks to bar girls about sick buffaloes. :D

Edited by Scottish Thailander

Very common. Heard it thousands of times over my many years here. My 2 and half year old girl even picked it up from her middle class neighbors (we put a stop to that -- not that it's especially rude but ti's not the sort of Thai we want her to use at her age)

Think of it like an American saying, "S'at right?" (ie "Is that right?")

There's also "Cha ma?" (as close as I can get to the phonetics of it) for "Chai mai?"

Very common. Heard it thousands of times over my many years here. My 2 and half year old girl even picked it up from her middle class neighbors (we put a stop to that -- not that it's especially rude but ti's not the sort of Thai we want her to use at her age)

There's also "Cha ma?" (as close as I can get to the phonetics of it) for "Chai mai?"

I have heard a shortened (almost non existent) cha(i) ma(i) but never cha ba.... I am thinking it might be more regional (perhaps isaan/lao) but again my experience has been speaking mostly quite proper Thai (from Chula) to people and they tend to reply in more formal Thai in return :)

I have heard a shortened (almost non existent) cha(i) ma(i) but never cha ba.... I am thinking it might be more regional (perhaps isaan/lao) but again my experience has been speaking mostly quite proper Thai (from Chula) to people and they tend to reply in more formal Thai in return :)

I'm not so sure about the Isaarn origin: if such is the case then my guess is it's usage has spread to those of other regions but living in Bangkok. Offhand I'd say it's urban Thai.

The chances of you (or I) using "proper " Thai and getting answered in in very informal and colloquial idiom seems very slim to me. I don't recall that EVER happening to me (though, while I virtually never use the slangiest style of Thai, certainly I have found that if I'm using informal and colloquial Thai, I'll get answers in kind or -- from certain socio-economic groups, let's say -- answers that are even more informal.)

But listening to thousands of Thais speaking together (one of the ways I perfected my Thai was shamelessly eavesdropping) over the years -- many, many of them highly educated upper middle to upper class folks -- I've found it very typical for them to use lots of informal idiom and slang and be far from polite or "proper" with each other. (No different from me and my well-spoken Farang friends if we are having a casual and friendly chat). I just assume that's been the case for you too.

As already stated it's short for "Chai rue plao".

It's fairly new, a couple of years I believe, and one of many contractions or speech shortcuts which younger Thais have invented - possibly as a fad or to demsonstrate how "cool" and modern they are.

Drives the Thai Culture Ministry and Thai Language purists crazy of course.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Hear it all the time with kids and people at work chatting. It is sometimes said very quickly that you might not pick it up.

Actually, I would say it was our younger urban types that use it more. The older lads at work are mostly from Isaan and they don't seem to use it when speaking Thai.

Edited by DMC1

I'm not so sure about the Isaarn origin: if such is the case then my guess is it's usage has spread to those of other regions but living in Bangkok. Offhand I'd say it's urban Thai.

The chances of you (or I) using "proper " Thai and getting answered in in very informal and colloquial idiom seems very slim to me. I don't recall that EVER happening to me (though, while I virtually never use the slangiest style of Thai, certainly I have found that if I'm using informal and colloquial Thai, I'll get answers in kind or -- from certain socio-economic groups, let's say -- answers that are even more informal.)

But listening to thousands of Thais speaking together (one of the ways I perfected my Thai was shamelessly eavesdropping) over the years -- many, many of them highly educated upper middle to upper class folks -- I've found it very typical for them to use lots of informal idiom and slang and be far from polite or "proper" with each other. (No different from me and my well-spoken Farang friends if we are having a casual and friendly chat). I just assume that's been the case for you too.

The use of formal/informal is likely the issue for me then :) My friends (even the youngish urban types) tend to use pretty formal Thai in groups and their informal Thai tends to be "anglicized" a bit. (sarcasm etc) The Thai work environment I am in is far from informal (ever! :( ) I would say that 80% of the Thai I hear on a daily basis is in that environment. The other 20% is in my neighborhood and extremely informal but I still haven't heard the phrase :)

This one threw me for a loop too early on as it was something I've heard Thai women say over and OVER when I used to eavesdrop on Thais. :blink:

As has been pointed out in previous posts, it is in fact just the colloquial shortening of ใช่หรือเปล่า into ใช่ป่ะ. Sometimes even the word ใช่ isn't enunciated clearly and that's why it sounds like it does to your ears.

Here is what Thai-Language-dot-com has for the definition of ป่ะ; "informal abbreviation of the interrogatory หรือเปล่า spoken by a female".

Conversely I've NEVER EVER heard it uttered by a Thai guy. Well, come to think of it, actually I have, :ermm: but ONLY when they were "playin' for the other team". :o

It is used a LOT on chat speak, and ภาษาพูด with your close friends too.. :)

This one threw me for a loop too early on as it was something I've heard Thai women say over and OVER when I used to eavesdrop on Thais. :blink:

As has been pointed out in previous posts, it is in fact just the colloquial shortening of ใช่หรือเปล่า into ใช่ป่ะ. Sometimes even the word ใช่ isn't enunciated clearly and that's why it sounds like it does to your ears.

Here is what Thai-Language-dot-com has for the definition of ป่ะ; "informal abbreviation of the interrogatory หรือเปล่า spoken by a female".

Conversely I've NEVER EVER heard it uttered by a Thai guy. Well, come to think of it, actually I have, :ermm: but ONLY when they were "playin' for the other team". :o

this..

still I don't get why there is a อ่ in the word ป่ะ

What is the rule for this one actually? ปะ is lowtone so why add a อ่ cause it has no function whatsoever. Thing however is, the word is pronounced like ใช่ป๊ะ (it sounds to me like that when I hear it) so maybe thats why there is a อ่ but i haven't seen it in any rules whatsoever that a midclass consonant that ends with a short vowel and carries a อ่ *(mai eek) the syllable is pronounced with a hightone pitch.

Someone can explain? :)

Edited by FireInTheSky

this..

What is the rule for this one actually? ปะ is lowtone so why add a อ่ cause it has no function whatsoever. Thing however is, the word is pronounced like ใช่ป๊ะ (it sounds to me like that when I hear it) so maybe thats why there is a อ่ but i haven't seen it in any rules whatsoever that a midclass consonant that ends with a short vowel and carries a อ่ *(mai eek) the syllable is pronounced with a hightone pitch.

I think you're getting confused with บ๊อ which is Isaan dialect for ไหม, so ใช่บ๊อ in that case would be ใช่ไหม or แซบบ๊อ would be อร่อยไหม rather than ใช่ป่ะ which is explained above.

this..

I think you're getting confused with บ๊อ which is Isaan dialect for ไหม, so ใช่บ๊อ in that case would be ใช่ไหม or แซบบ๊อ would be อร่อยไหม rather than ใช่ป่ะ which is explained above.

I am not getting confused, I am merely asking something about the spelling of the word. I could go through my facebook all day and read ใช่ป่ะ (with a mai eek, which indicates lowtone. The thing however is that ปะ by itself is already a lowtone and doesnt need mai eek since it ends with a short vowel), while I hear it being pronounced as ใช่ป๊ะ on the street and wherever I go (with a hightone). My question was simply put: why is there a mai eek ( อ่ <- I have to put a อ here because I cannot just write mai eek without consonant) on the word ปะ.

Is there a rule that says "a midtone consonant that ends with a short vowel and has mai eek is pronounced with a hightone" and I am not aware of?

Thanks for help :)

Ok, i see what you mean now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Perhaps it's because in ใช่หรือเปล่า which is the longer version of it, the เปล่า has ่ีjust carried the ไม้เอก tone marker. Although as you say it makes no difference. Actually if you have a look on thai-language you will see that both ปะ and ป่ะ are listed. I used to chat online a bit and have seen both spellings, although ป่ะ is more common. With regards to the high tone pronunciation of it, it's something i haven't heard much in the last couple of years, but before that i always heard it in the low tone. As it's spoken language ภาษาพูด, it's open to be butchered by young people however they like to. My guess is that is has carried on from ใช่มั้ย to ใช่ป๊ะ, different words but the same meaning and the same high tone. In fact, if you do a search on google there are a few hits for ใช่ป๊ะ.

็Hope this helps.

Ok, i see what you mean now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Perhaps it's because in ใช่หรือเปล่า which is the longer version of it, the เปล่า has ่ีjust carried the ไม้เอก tone marker. Although as you say it makes no difference. Actually if you have a look on thai-language you will see that both ปะ and ป่ะ are listed. I used to chat online a bit and have seen both spellings, although ป่ะ is more common. With regards to the high tone pronunciation of it, it's something i haven't heard much in the last couple of years, but before that i always heard it in the low tone. As it's spoken language ภาษาพูด, it's open to be butchered by young people however they like to. My guess is that is has carried on from ใช่มั้ย to ใช่ป๊ะ, different words but the same meaning and the same high tone. In fact, if you do a search on google there are a few hits for ใช่ป๊ะ.

็Hope this helps.

Helps a lot! Sometimes I really have to get this "it is because it is, stop asking questions and just take it" attitude but I just wanna know everything I guess.

Thanks for help! a lot!

Cheers