Assumption College Ubon Ratchathani .

Hello ,

I am considering enrolling my son at the Assumption college in Ubon. He is five years old . I have spoken to a few people in the past and they have recomended the school . I would appreciate any information on fees and term times .I am working away now and I am worried that he will be too late for the start of term . Any discussion and opinion is welcome . I have found the Thai -language website and I will try to use it .

Thanks

Luke

Kind of a tough place to drive into (and out).

For a kid that young, your convience should be the primary concern.

The top 3 are:

If you live in the north - Huay Chiaw II (bad spelling. Can't miss the place though)

Central - Assumption

South - Ave Maria

The school in the north has the most falang teachers and the most teachers that actualy have finished Thai universitys.

Assumption has the hottest teachers.

Ave Maria has the most nuns....

all 3 have air conditioning

• Like 1

Hello KDC1899

Just following this thread as I will be enrolling my 10 yr old thai stepson (aussie educated) into an Ubon school next year. Whereabouts is the Huay Chiaw II school. We are looking at enrolling him in the Youth Exchange School on the ring road near the Khemarat road. Obviously we are still considering other options but would like to be in the northern parts of Ubon due to commuting back to Khemarat on weekends. Where can I find more information about this school.

Thanks in advance,

Sezzo

The top 3 are:

If you live in the north - Huay Chiaw II (bad spelling. Can't miss the place though)

Central - Assumption

South - Ave Maria

The school in the north has the most falang teachers and the most teachers that actualy have finished Thai universitys.

Thanks kdc ,

We live well south ,Det Udom . This is a major event in our family and will mean finding an apartment in Ubon . It is good to know there are a few options . My son is at a small private school in Det Udom now but I believe this coming term will be his last . I am not in the area at this time and cannot do the footwork and I am interested as to how much money I need to get him started and continuing fees . Am I right in saying the schools are closed until the mid of may ?

Luke

The top 3 are:

Central - Assumption

South - Ave Maria

Thanks kdc ,

We live well south ,Det Udom . This is a major event in our family and will mean finding an apartment in Ubon . It is good to know there are a few options . My son is at a small private school in Det Udom now but I believe this coming term will be his last . I am not in the area at this time and cannot do the footwork and I am interested as to how much money I need to get him started and continuing fees . Am I right in saying the schools are closed until the mid of may ?

Luke

I'd suggest you contact an Aussie bloke called Brunty via his blog - he's a former Assumption teacher - he can give you all the in's and outs about the place and maybe suggest other good schools. Google "issan style" you'll find his blog.

http://isaanstyle.bl...ools-isaan.html

The top 3 are:

Central - Assumption

South - Ave Maria

Thanks kdc ,

Luke

I'd suggest you contact an Aussie bloke called Brunty via his blog - he's a former Assumption teacher - he can give you all the in's and outs about the place and maybe suggest other good schools. Google "issan style" you'll find his blog.

http://isaanstyle.bl...ools-isaan.html

Ontherig ,

righto will have a look at the blog and make contact ! Typically, I have met a few English teachers and parents up in Ubon but all the name cards are back at the gaff .

Cheers

Luke

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just rehashing this thread as Im considering pulling my stepson from YES school in Ubon and find an alternative. Totally pissed off with YES as the English Program Class 6 seem to be sitting around unsupervised all day doing nothing while the teachers are taken away for so called meetings or other duties. The class size is only 6 students and they seem to be getting ignored for studies in favour of other duties to make the school more attractive for prospective students. My stepson has been always told to enter the English speech contest not because he learnt his English at the school but because he can speak, read and write English from his 4 years in Australia. They seem to be hell bent on showing how good or attractive they are but not actually teaching anything. Some of their so called native english speaking teachers leave a lot to be desired as I have already had to correct their mistakes as I review his workbooks. Ok, that rant is over with.

I was considering sending him to Assumption but after reading the report on Issanstyle blog above I am having second thoughts. I have posted before on TV about not wanting to send him to a catholic/religious based school as I want him to remain a Buddhist and not have Christianity shoved down his throat.

Has anyone out there got some up to date reviews or information about Assumption, Ave Maria or other school in Ubon which may suit. Please don't mention the Seventh Day Adventist school as I have ex-family in Australia involved in that crazy mob and will not send him there.

Thanks,

Carl

• Like 2

A lot of the schools that are owned by Christians are not particularly Christian oriented. They will get the morning prayer, etc., but the students receive a periodic 'briefing' from the Monks at the local temple. The students are Buddhist and Buddhism permeates the school.

A lot of the schools that are owned by Christians are not particularly Christian oriented. They will get the morning prayer, etc., but the students receive a periodic 'briefing' from the Monks at the local temple. The students are Buddhist and Buddhism permeates the school.

Correct, most Christian schools have Buddhist students, so they take the religious port with a grain of salt. Most schools, for the most part, don't force the religion on the kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on retiring from the I.T. field in the USA for a move to Ubon to become in teacher in 3-6 years. I'm attempting to get a handle on my anticipated expenses while I'm there since it appears a teacher still only makes about 30,000 baht a month. It seems my largest monthly expense may be for my children's tuition; I've done some searches and found tuition rates for private schools going from $150 USD a month up to $400 USD. However, even after reading the blog posting about Ubon schools and visiting school web sites I'm still not sure what they charge (they being YES, Ava Maria, Assumption, and 7th day adventist).

I'm hoping that if I'm able to land a job teaching at one of the aforementioned schools that they would offer my children free tuition (I currently have one daughter and will probably have one or two more children by the time we settle in Thailand).

I also would like to ask if a Master's Degree in Education would help me land a job outside of Bangkok paying 60,000 baht a month? I am about a year away from my Bachelors in Business Admin (I.T. focused), and I'm considering putting in another two years at my online university and encumbering the extra cost of a Masters Degree in Education if it could significantly raise my pay once I teach in Thailand. I've seen jobs in Bangkok that pay 60K baht per month but I really prefer anywhere but Bangkok. I prefer Ubon because it is near where my wife's family originates but I'm open to Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Hua Hin, or Pattaya if I could net 60K a month there with a Masters at an international school.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Michael

The English Program (EP) term fees for my step son in year 6 at YES2 is 35000 baht plus uniforms and books. You can also get an extra period of tuition in any subject for 3900 baht per term which I did, but you may as well throw that money in the toilet as most weeks you might get one extra tuition period. Teachers are either "at a meeting" or "supervising a test" or some other lame excuse. Initially they were great teaching him to read and write thai but the rest of his education there has been poor in my mind.

• 1 month later...

Luke

I was wondering what you found out about schools. Any opinions or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I wrote on schools in Ubon on the Isaan Style blog last year.

Suggest you take a look.

If you want really good information PM me in case some of the things I say about Ubon schools get me deported.

In the meantime read the following link.

*Link Edited out*

Excellent Comment and Information on Education in Ubon Ratchathani Thailand..

Ubonwittayakhom is not a private school.-rolleyes.gif

Edited by Scott

• 3 months later...