Do Thai People Not Like Direct Questions ?

Latindancer

lol

Most of you are just so clueless its making me laugh so much lol.

Are you guys actually real? Or is it the same person with multiple accounts lol.

Perhaps you would care to enlighten us then?

No need, you answered the question in your first post.

THAT'S WHAT HE'S BLOODY ON ABOUT!

A perfectly simple question - please enlighten us - and you cross refer to a post three pages back.

To be fair, a Thai would have not made himself look like a buffoon with unsubstantiated abuse aimed wildly and generically at unspecified individuals.

I can assure you that I am not the same person as most of the other posters here, we are in fact separate clones created in a bizarre experiment to replicate the productivity of the Chinese in a genome lab in Edinburgh; after this experiment, they chose to focus on the more commercially attractive (indeed, more attractive all round!) Dolly the Sheep.

SC

How come one sock from a pair goes missing? Where does it go?

It gets eaten by the washing machine (or hungry maid, whichever applies)

Why does a fart smell so much worse when you do it in the bath?

Because the fart isn't warm enough to go over the edge of the tub and so remains there until you've inhaled & exhaled it all.

how did the noodle seller end up with every spoon i own?

Seriously? Don't bring your own spoons to the noodle shop, bring their spoons back to your place! (alternatively, if you buy a cup from the store, a plastic fork will accompany it)

You will get good results if you change your sentence from a question into a normal sentence and include wrong information at the same time.

I have noticed that many Thais seem too happy at the opportunity to correct you and will give you true and straightforward info.

i.e. don't ask "where do you parents live?" --> this will induce some thinking about why you ask the question, what you will do with this information and wether to tell you the truth or not. In doubt, better to lie.

but say "your parents live in Buriram, chai mai?" --> instant answer: mai chai, they in Khon Kaen.

works about 80% of the time.

I think a reason why direct questions are a bit uncommon may be a face thing, the asker appears clueless, but the puts the asked person in even greater danger of seeming ignorant, that's why one gets so much wrong info in shops.

On the contrary, if you give them opportunity to gain face, you will get your answers.

You know what? This kind of game playing is just too tedious and infantile, if I ask a direct question I expect no less then a direct answer and anyone who allows them to play such games is just feeding the troll.. Save face on a simple question, surely you jest!

well... try it!

this technique is related to another one I use at the Swiss border with the customs.

Switzerland still has a kind of prohibition on foreign meat and cheese and wines, with hefty import taxes as high as 40 USD per Kg of beef (because the prices are so ridiculously expensive in Switzerland).

They routinely search cars for purchases of the former made in France or Germany.

So, to avoid having my car searched, I usually prepare a duty free form (which you get for purchasing something at full VAT in France and then import it into Switzerland to pay the lower Swiss VAT and reclaim the difference from France).

Well, I just wave the VAT reclamation form in the face of the customs guy who would normally search my car, asking what I should do, and you can virtually observe in his eyes how his brain switches on autopilot and orders me to park the car on the right and to go to the customs office.

In 40+ times the car NEVER got searched.

Better than the Jedi trick "these droids are not the droids you are looking for"

Give anybody the opportunity to exert authority in a conversation (of course in the way you want), and you will get results. Fast.

Nietzsche wrote: "When the heels tack, brains become empty"

Make the heels tack.

Edited by manarak

"A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse" dosen't mean the horse is stupid. Your just not speaking his language. If you want to speak to a horse you have to learn the language.

Inter-species translations?:)

I'll not bore you with the full joke, but the punchline was

' and the first horse turns to the second and says "Who'd have thought it? A talking dog!"

SC

I wish I had a nickle for every time I wittnessed a farang being aggressive, impatient and impolite to Thai service people. One yesterday bitching at the clerk at Starbucks, another a few days ago at Foodland treating the guy who was trying to be clear about his special coffee order. I felt like poping the creep myself.

Astute observations. And I'll bet the farang was speaking English to the Thai. Try to get some service in the USA speaking a foreign language to an American who doesn't speak said language.

It seems like this entire thread is about farangs trying to speak English (or some other language) to a Thai person, other than Thai, and not getting the appropriate response. Clearly, there will be miscommunication. But there's also the issue of communicating in a high-context society, if you're from a low-context society. Ever heard of the concepts of polychronic vs. monochronic societies? Therein lies the answers to all of your questions.

If God had wanted us to learn foreign languages he'd have not given us fingers to point with.

Of course, people who don't travel abroad can use them for picking their nose...

I was too lazy to look up your sociological terms - I assume polychronic people can moan about all sorts of complaints at once and can pick up a new grievance before you can say "howsthat for a solution?", while monochronic people are like a dog with a bone and won't let it go.

SC

Well, not exactly. But as you are obviously enthused to learn more, here is a simple chart: http://hackvan.com/e...ronic-time.html

See if you can figure out which are predominantly western traits, and which are Asian (and Thai).

Good points manarak.

Here's another thought. I would like to learn Thai. It's a struggle for the handful of brain cells l have left. I got a few words down pretty good, but what is happening is that when I use them the Thai's think I can speak Thai and they start rabbling on and my brain shuts down. I think this is a very common thing for humans and believe that it happens when we rattle off in English and get the blank stare. The funny thing is farangs who keep doing this and producing a bad result. Who is the stupid one? Here's another observation; I see all the time farangs being obnoxious to service people and women, but I have never, ever seen it happen to Thai guys. I wonder why that is? It's one thing to spout off in safety and a whole other to do it where you might get your butt kicked. I know a few motorbike taxi guys who would be happy to realign your thinking and return you to balance.

Edited by trisailer

Good points manarak.

Here's another thought. I would like to learn Thai. It's a struggle for the handful of brain cells l have left. I got a few words down pretty good, but what is happening is that when I use them the Thai's think I can speak Thai and they start rabbling on and my brain shuts down. I think this is a very common thing for humans and believe that it happens when we rattle off in English and get the blank stare. The funny thing is farangs who keep doing this and producing a bad result. Who is the stupid one? Here's another observation; I see all the time farangs being obnoxious to service people and women, but I have never, ever seen it happen to Thai guys. I wonder why that is? It's one thing to spout off in safety and a whole other to do it where you might get your butt kicked. I know a few motorbike taxi guys who would be happy to realign your thinking and return you to balance.

Twice on this thread I've seen people assume that it's because of Farangs not speaking Thai that there can be frustration in communications. I've been fluently speaking Thai for nearly 30 years. Equally, if not more important, I've been making an effort to learn as much as I can about Thai culture and society for nearly as long -- and I think I've done failry well at that endeavor (and know it's paid off for me massively, in so many ways).

I've never called Thai people stupid because they communicate differently nor have I implied it or thought it.

But I completely agree with not only the posters but the numerous academics and "experts" of various types (Thais among them) who acknowledge the differnces in approach to communication including the one discussed in this thread.

I speak on the phone and people think I'm Thai. I get in the taxi and speak to the driver and they say, "Oh, i thought you were a foriegner when I picked you up". If I have trouble getting a straight answer, it's not a matter of not being able to say what I want to in a way that they can comprehend linguistically.

You've never seen it happen TO Thai guys? I'm not sure waht that means: do you mean you've never ever seen Thai guys being obnoxious to service people and women? If so, I find that absolutely astonishing. Literally incredible.

Yes, it is one thing to spout off in safety and a whole other to do it where you might get your butt kicked. That applies to everyone, not just Farang. And how is that -- or the fact that motorcycle taxi drivers (amongst whom I had many friends as a young man) are often thugs -- relevant? Has anyone here argued that being obnoxious to people is right or smart?

When I approach them I move slowly, casually (body language) smile and wait until I have made eye contact. They know when your being polite.

So there we were, deep in an urban jungle of the distant land known as Thailand.

Our supplies were low so we had to use what we could find. We had heard of dairy being found in this foreign world, so we ventured out for a bottle of milk.

We came to what appeared to be some kind of larder. A cave with bright lights and what appeared to be food stuffs inside, we decided to investigate further. Once inside we found some fantastic specimens stood behind some kind of barrier that seemingly acted as a counter. We left these specimens for now as we could investigate further once we have our supplies. Astonishingly, we found a bottle of milk quickly. We noticed other specimens approaching the others that were behind the counter before leaving the cave, after making some kind of exchange. It seemed only natural that we should do the same.

We approached the barrier carefully, moving through aisles of what appeared to be packets of noodles on one side and pringles on the other. We approached the counter carefully, making sure not to make any sudden movements. Just when we were about to arrive at the counter, another specimen moved in front of us blocking our way. Out of fear of startling any of the creatures around us, we did nothing and waited. After the specimen that had moved in front of us completed their exchange they left, leaving us to approach the counter ourselves.

We approached the counter, doing all we could to let the specimens behind the counter know that we were not hostile. We smiled, they looked at each other and made sounds that appeared to be some kind of primitive language. Now stood at the counter we observed one of these specimens working on what appeared to be a foot long, cylindrical packet of meat. This specimen, apparently a male, seemed to be using a knife which left us in awe at their advanced use of tools.

The two female specimens behind the counter in front of us appeared to be communicating with each other, seemingly oblivious of our presence. Not wanting to disturb this ritual we waited, and waited, until eventually one looked up and began the exchange that we had observed before. The exchange appeared to be successful and our bottle of milk was placed into a holding device, along with what appeared to be some kind of straw. We left, surely but slowly, always remembering to make no sudden movements so as not to provoke a reaction.

We left and headed straight back to our camp on the 9th floor, with UBC and hot water. We spent that night reflecting favourably on our successful and magical encounter with these magnificent creatures. We now hope to be able to learn from such an amazing experience on our next venture into this strange and wonderful land to get some beers and a packet of crisps.

:cheesy: Very good ! And of course you hadn't inhaled, either.;)

'Raker - You tha man! :jap:

The best way to a straight answer from a Thai is to asking one of the following questions?

Where u go?

You can eat spicy?

You have thai lady?

If you stray outside this cultural norm, may excite and anger the subject causing them to smile blankly waiting for you to fill the void of silence with a simple, 'mai pen rai' and walking away. Failure to observe this may result in repeated frustration leading to posting that all thais are <deleted> cupid stunts!.

You will get good results if you change your sentence from a question into a normal sentence and include wrong information at the same time.

I have noticed that many Thais seem too happy at the opportunity to correct you and will give you true and straightforward info.

i.e. don't ask "where do you parents live?" --> this will induce some thinking about why you ask the question, what you will do with this information and wether to tell you the truth or not. In doubt, better to lie.

but say "your parents live in Buriram, chai mai?" --> instant answer: mai chai, they in Khon Kaen.

I think a reason why direct questions are a bit uncommon may be a face thing, the asker appears clueless, but the puts the asked person in even greater danger of seeming ignorant, that's why one gets so much wrong info in shops.

On the contrary, if you give them opportunity to gain face, you will get your answers.

You know what? This kind of game playing is just too tedious and infantile, if I ask a direct question I expect no less then a direct answer and anyone who allows them to play such games is just feeding the troll.. Save face on a simple question, surely you jest!

well... try it!

this technique is related to another one I use at the Swiss border with the customs.

Switzerland still has a kind of prohibition on foreign meat and cheese and wines, with hefty import taxes as high as 40 USD per Kg of beef (because the prices are so ridiculously expensive in Switzerland).

They routinely search cars for purchases of the former made in France or Germany.

So, to avoid having my car searched, I usually prepare a duty free form (which you get for purchasing something at full VAT in France and then import it into Switzerland to pay the lower Swiss VAT and reclaim the difference from France).

Well, I just wave the VAT reclamation form in the face of the customs guy who would normally search my car, asking what I should do, and you can virtually observe in his eyes how his brain switches on autopilot and orders me to park the car on the right and to go to the customs office.

Better than the Jedi trick "these droids are not the droids you are looking for"

Give anybody the opportunity to exert authority in a conversation (of course in the way you want), and you will get results. Fast.

Make the heels tack.

When I was a teenager and I wanted to buy some beer for a party, I'd walk in to the convenience store and say boldly and fairly loudly to the guy, "Hey, where do you keep the beer?" with the absolute belief that he'd just tell me and that it was my right to buy some beer. I'd see the guy sort of make the switch and then say, maybe a bit hesitantly, "It's back there."

By the time I sauntered up to the counter and pulled out my wallet, while making a bit of casual conversation but not trying too hard, the guy'd be ready to ring up my purchase. Worked almost every time. I've applied the same principle in many different situations throughout my life (for example, you'd be amazed at the places you can get into just by acting as if you absolutely have the right to be there).

My pet hate used to be about house improvements. Whenever we were going to add something or do something to our house I would repeatedly ask my wife for the TOTAL cost. She would reply with stuff about father's friend who was cheaper than someone else, but he isn't free now ?! After several episodes of this I have worked out that every addition or alteration is going to cost me 2/3rds to double the original estimate. So now I stop asking stupid farlang questions.

well... try it!

Make the heels tack.

I've no intention of trying it I get enough of it in every day life and it's nothing but tedious and infantile, I wish to converse with adults, I speak with children all day long..