Moving To Chang Mai

pepsi666

I am hoping anyone can give me some pointers on moving to Chang Mai

I have been looking at various properties in Chang Mai and I am considering retireing there

Websites of Realty companies removed. Please read the guidelines: Mentioning of commercial websites or e-mail addresses not allowed. Contact the Advertising Section for more information. Limbo.

For questions about Chiang Mai I recommend the Chiang Mai Forum. ___________________________________

I would be moving there with my wife (who is NOT a Thai)

What is the weather like? (apart from this years flooding) temperatures High and low's ?

What amenties are there ?

What's the shopping like ? (weekly groceries)

What is there to do ? *I dont play golf!!

I have a fairly good retirement plan

What about a visa ? What type do I need ?

I know that a European cannot own land , but can own a property, that is why I am looking at leasing the land (after 30 years it wont worry me what happens to it)

Any advice woyld be much appreciated

I am visiting Chang Mai on the 13 October -20 October 2005 to view prperties while I am there

Edited by Limbo

Dear Mr. Pepsi666,

It doesn't matter if you move to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, but I strongly suggest that you rent a house during the first year.

And if this year gives you enough time to decide that you really want to live in one of these towns, than you still can consider to buy a house. You will be better informed about locations, possibilities and prices.

I understand that you are on the point of making a very fast decision, not knowing too much about Chiang Mai (or did you mean Chiang Rai - the company you mentioned has a project here as well) you feel sure enough to base your move on an impression.

It's like falling in love: You idealize an unknown person just because you like some characteristics (like a beautiful nose) and generalize these to the person as a whole. In these cases the first fart can have disastreous consequences.

The answers on your questions about house ownership and visa requirements you can find elsewhere in this forum.

Anyhow, good luck!

Limbo.

PS. If you might consider to rent a house in Chiang Rai you eventually could send a PM to Lannachiangrai. He is at this moment probably the person who knows most about it, just been through the process of finding a rental house for himself.

Limbo.