Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

Beetlejuice

Having not ventured into the centre of town for quite some time, I recently met a friend there for a few drinks because he was flying back to New Zealand the following morning.

When we were walking through the Loi Kroh road around 9.30pm, I was taken back just how seedy, dirty and squalid that area has become.

Dirty tatty little open bars full of gross drunken farangs, and the girls pretending that they find these guys cool and they're drunken rants amusing.

The BGs there appear uniformly unattractive. Not young, not old, average age perhaps around 30ish, but cheap and nasty..

We found the tactics of luring the men into massage parlours, by women in they're 30s and 40s, trying desperately but unsuccessfully to look 25, as aggressive and in our faces. Some actually screaming at us.

Another friend mentioned to me that some time ago he visited a massage parlour in the area. He said that after 5 minutes the woman wanted to give him a little more extra then the regular massage. My friend was not interested and then the woman became abusive and aggressive, insisting on a 500 baht tip. My friend this being only his second time holidaying in Thailand, out of fear paid the woman and ran out.

In some of the massage parlours we could see the farang guy sitting outside trying to look inconspicuous and to not bring attention upon himself that he is the owner.

During the dark hours around the centre of Chiang Mai city becomes infested with hideous freaky travesties.

I think that whole area is well over due for a total make over and revamp.

I enjoy my adult entertainments and have nothing against beer bars and hope they never all get closed down and gone forever, but this place I can describe in one word; skank.

Personally I would like to see the whole area levelled and replaced with new decent Western style restaurants, giving more choice for tourists and those living here alike, no more open beer bars, all beer bars restored with frontages and doors.

In other words everything tidied up and modernised.

In the meantime I and many others I know consider the Loi Kroh road as a place to avoid, which is a shame because in the past the Chiang Mai night scene used to be such a fun place to visit, now it appears to be just grot.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

TBH compared to other places like BKK, Phuket and Pattaya, the P4P scene in Chiang Mai is tiny so im not sure why you are getting so hot under the collar. Aldo ladyboys and katoeys have always been a part of Thailand and always will. Your just a farang there so it's not for you to say what should be done there just because you may not agree with it.

• Like 1

If Loy Kroh is grotty then its become the natural offshoot for the night bazaar area which is just passable by night, but incredibly gross by day. In fact, thanks in large part ot the tatty metal carts around the place, it is one of the ugliest downtown areas I have come across. What a wasted opportunity.

Thapae Road also has huge potential for beautification into an upmarket shopping precinct. I disagree though with the need for widespread "modernisation" ... In this area I would go for restoration and sensitive modification & re-use of the old buildings with a northern thai/lanna theme. Keep the gleaming new buildings and modern look for Nimmenhamin or some other designated precinct.

Personally, I'd like Suthep Road broadened to six lanes each way between the moat and Canal Road, a cloverleaf system installed at the foot of the superhighway as it meets Niemenhaven (sp?), all major roads entering town widened or all parked cars hauled away (double parking is a scandal), and an additional ring road built.

I find that the outdoor markets are uncomfortable during the hot seasons; they should be enclosed with air-con.

And while we're reforming, the tad of corruption one reads about here in the LoS should be excised at all levels. True Buddhism should fight back against this creeping materialism, while Thais should lose interest in whitening their skin and instead be color blind as are we.

The streamlining of immigration services doubtless, shall be a top priority as well.

But as for Loi Kroh, it is what it is. Love it or leave it and let it be lonely. Doubtless services from a more youthful cohort could be attained in BKK or Patts.

Anyway, I though we'd just had this thread, no?

Edited by CMX
  • Like 2

Loi Kroh Road, seedy,dirty and aqualid ? I'm sure the Old Belle end of Loi Kroh will really appreciate that comment. As for your friend having to flee from a massage parlour because the girl wanted a tip ,you can't be serious... hope he managed to put his clothes back on :rolleyes: you've made my day.

How about letting the Thais decide what to do with their own country? I wonder just how happy you'd be if a bunch of foreigners moved to your home town and started lecturing you on how they thought it ought to look?

Spot on. :jap:

• Like 1

In some of the massage parlours we could see the farang guy sitting outside trying to look inconspicuous and to not bring attention upon himself that he is the owner.

Actually, those guys are usually tourists trying to get a "good girl' to date them for free. They really get in the way of real customers. :annoyed:

"I was taken back just how seedy, dirty and squalid that area has become."

What was it like before?

Sometimes its not the pIace that changes, but our perception and expectations.

It may be that Ioi Kroh hasnt changed much at aII, but a different mind-set causes you to see what has aIways been there, but now in a different way.

Dont mean to come over aII Confucius-Iike..IoI.

• Like 1

They should at least clean the place up a little. Do a little painting, pick-up all the trash, put out some rubbish bins, high-pressure clean the sidewalk and street. The rat population is absolutely out of control there. I'm sure those massage parlours are filthy. The BG's do appear rather unattractive and most appear to be in their mid 30's on up. Occasionally the police come along and chase away the khatoeys but they are back again in a week or two.

TBH compared to other places like BKK, Phuket and Pattaya, the P4P scene in Chiang Mai is tiny so im not sure why you are getting so hot under the collar. Aldo ladyboys and katoeys have always been a part of Thailand and always will. Your just a farang there so it's not for you to say what should be done there just because you may not agree with it.

That's interesting. You just stated in a thread 2 days ago "I'm traveling to Thailand for the first time later this year (December)." So you've never been to Thailand but you are an authority on the "P4P scene" and the khatoeys in various cities in Thailand?

They should at least clean the place up a little. Do a little painting, pick-up all the trash, put out some rubbish bins, high-pressure clean the sidewalk and street. The rat population is absolutely out of control there. I'm sure those massage parlours are filthy. The BG's do appear rather unattractive and most appear to be in their mid 30's on up. Occasionally the police come along and chase away the khatoeys but they are back again in a week or two.

So if the BGs were 20 and under it would be better??

I don't see why the attractiveness of the BGs should matter to the "clean up Loi kroh crowd"

Edited by PlanetX

So if the BGs were 20 and under it would be better??

I don't see why the attractiveness of the BGs should matter to the "clean up Loi kroh crowd"

I was only commenting on what the OP had to say.

Looking forward to your first trip to Thailand?

The 'Gross drunken farangs' are probably not in any fit state to recognise an attractive woman if they saw one, so why do the BG's need to be under 30 and eye candy? I think the bar owners have the right idea; employ cheap old slappers to keep the drunken clients happy. Meanwhile, those who are looking for a decent woman are far away from Loi Kroh that's for sure.

• Like 1

Op keeps mentioning "friends",yet maybe this is just the sober alter ego realising what vile, perverse acts had been commited drunk with not so pretty older ladies in the past ..

Regardless ,this is a mean spirited ,nasty , sexest. self righteous,moralistic, intolerant rant at the very best.

We are in friendly Thailand as visiting guest and just about everywhere here and for that matter so many places in the world need a good paint job.....

but to say "knock it down put up a parking lot" .....

Edited by yesterday

Why not?

The bars on Loi Kroh cater exclusively to foreigners not Thai's, so why can't a foreigner voice an opinion?

I never claimed to be an 'authority' so no need to get your nickers in a twist. But I've read enough on plenty of forums to know about a few of the main destinations in Thailand. Plus a good mate of mine owns a gogo in another city so its not like I dont have any idea about what p4p is offered in each city.

Edited by wellred