Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

Beetlejuice

chiang mai is changing so fast ..its sad... fuc_king burger joints popping up everywhere and fancy western styled bars. that's what makes me sick. go home if u want that crap.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mr, "happysanook". biggrin.png

if he doesn't like it that much he can vacate! CM doesn't need farang who thinks it's 'crap' and can only see the worst - I love CM and when/if I don't I will leave (hopefully up in smoke)

• Like 1

I would not miss LK or any of the girlie bars there, if it was ever shut down.

Hundreds maybe thousands of bars in and around Chiang Mai and at half the price and nicer girls.

I just don't get the attraction to LK.

• photo-thumb-17260.gif
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 413 posts

Posted Today, 09:14

Hundreds maybe thousands of bars in and around Chiang Mai and at half the price and nicer girls.

are you taking about the night clubs with the young thai set, who could care less to talk to farang older guys. if not where are these bars, give some names and locals please

• photo-thumb-17260.gif
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 413 posts

are you taking about the night clubs with the young thai set, who could care less to talk to farang older guys. if not where are these bars, give some names and locals please

No, I'm talking about local bars, That the "stuck in town crowd" never seem to venture to.

Once your out of town there are so many bars to explore. I'm sure we all have our favorites.

Those of us that live outside town and the LK scence will know what I'm talking about.

Drive you car or Bike in any direction away from the city center and you will find them.

Ain't gonna happen. Chiang Mai will never allow Pattaya or Patpong Rd. style venues, IMO.

And that is fine with me....

There were several a few years back. The shower shows at John's place were very classy. tongue.png

And then there were one or two that didn't really make it.. Like the one a bit past the Irish Pub on Ratwithi Road. And the historical Las Vegas.

But there were also beer bar areas attempted in areas that never worked. Like on the other side of the river from what is now the Holiday Inn.

I don't think you can plan nightlife; it just has to happen.

It reminds me of some old-timey place on Avenida Revolucion in Tijuana, where a gentleman of a certain age dressed in guayabera, with a snappy-looking fedora plays a slow snare drum beat, while a dancer who is probably a grandma, does a slow strip tease. Like something from 1959. coffee1.gif

I would LOVE that!!!! If only it was possible to create that sort of atmosphere.

Of course there are good places on LK- Olde Bell, Number 1, Chez Marco, CM Saloon, etc. But none of them are girly bars, and none of the girly bars pass muster anymore, IMO.

no 1 is very much so a girlie bar,and a good one too.......

Agreed. Though it's one of those places that can be what you want it to be. It's not the kind of girlie bar where staff get their undies off and shove their stuff in people's faces.

nemen.....'to take'

hymen..... 'membrane ...

Hymen was the Greek God of Marriage rituals, and the word "hymen" in the modern gynecological sense, and the word "hymn" come from this ancient root. A " hymenaios" was a sacred wedding song, in a unique form of lyric poetry, sung during the procession to the groom's house.

"Nemen:" with the meaning to "take:" not in any Latin dictionary I know of.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Loi Kroh has become very seedy, and worse- boring.
Ah, that makes it clear why you continue to post about it, then.

~o:37;

gotta love how someone expects an area full of lady bars and massage joints to not be seedy...same as it's been the last 6 years, though can't comment beyond that.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

It's just a road with many alternatives, restaurants, clothes and silver shops etc and a traffic cut through from Kochasarn to Changklan. It's not as if it's tucked away down a series of dark seedy alley's like Santitham used to be.

Edited by uptheos

Loi Kroh has become very seedy, and worse- boring.
Ah, that makes it clear why you continue to post about it, then.

~o:37;

gotta love how someone expects an area full of lady bars and massage joints to not be seedy...same as it's been the last 6 years, though can't comment beyond that.

It's just a road with many alternatives, restaurants, clothes and silver shops etc and a traffic cut through from Kochasarn to Changklan. It's not as if it's tucked away down a series of dark seedy alley's like Santitham used to be.

seedy is relative...I dont find it all that seedy, but clumps of ladyboys on yaba, mostly washed up bar girls tugging on you, old drunks hanging about and 'massage' available up and down the road

as well as the let into star 6 and foxxy lady....well lets say its more seedy than say wat phrasing or kad suan kaew... :lol:

but as already mentioned, it fills a need...how depressing asia would be wo these kinds of places available.

and also as already said...plenty of non seedy stuff going on too. european food restaurants, foot and legit massage, nice hotels, shops etc... abound

"18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation."

Can't believe why this topic is still running.

"18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation."

Well with 15 pages of answers it's got more attention than another food topic. As already noted elsewhere the forum is getting stagnant.

sanctimoniousness??? can't believe you posted this - wow you get FIRST prize for 'I want to be a TV Mod Sir' prize

as the purpose of the topic has nothing to do with seeking prostitutes..and nobodys talking avout the specifics of prostitution, its easy to believe.

Edited by happysanook

sanctimoniousness??? can't believe you posted this - wow you get FIRST prize for 'I want to be a TV Mod Sir' prize

I believe the farang tourist police are taking new applicants as well...he might want to broaden his horizons beyond TV.

I am not going to read the 370 previous posts to see if there was any discussion of the specifics of prostitution (other mods probably read them and would have taken any necessary action), so let us all acknowledge Semper's post as a pre-emptive caution not to go into specifics like "where is the best bj and how much" etc, and thank you all for your active participation in this and other topics on the Chiang Mai Forum and on ThaiVisa in general.

I think Loi Kroh has its place. Any big city (unless ruled by talibans and such) has its 'red light' district. It is just 1 street in the whole city so very easy to avoid. Dont really see how it could bother anyone. Just dont walk that street and take a parallel street if needed. Loi kroh aint that seedy. It attracts a mixed crowd during the day. Similar to those sois along sukumvit in bangkok. It is definately not as 'seedy' as soi cowboy or nana. Maybe it does get a little more 'seedy' late at night, but i couldnt tell you.

If I wanted to go to an area of bars to pick-up girls, Loy Kroh would be the last on my list. That area caters to {primarily} desperate old tourists or single farang males who want to drink with others like them. If you are an ex-pat living here then why not go to an area where the locals go and meet some much nicer (and younger and more attractive) girls? I'm not talking about Warm Up, Fabrique or places like that. I would have enjoyed places like that about 10 years ago. That's really a 20-30ish crowd and older farangs look silly in there just like they would in a similar place in Europe or the USA.

Having said that, I still like taking a stroll down Loy Kroh once in a while, talking to people, having a laugh, having a drink or two, etc. It does have character.

Loi kroh aint that seedy. It attracts a mixed crowd during the day. Similar to those sois along sukumvit in bangkok. It is definately not as 'seedy' as soi cowboy or nana. Maybe it does get a little more 'seedy' late at night, but i couldnt tell you.

It doesn't. Especially not with current closing times, so the party moves elsewhere.

If I wanted to go to an area of bars to pick-up girls, Loy Kroh would be the last on my list. That area caters to {primarily} desperate old tourists or single farang males who want to drink with others like them.

Most westerners in Chiang Mai are old. It's the entire demographic. Outside of the low season though it gets plenty younger people.

If you are an ex-pat living here then why not go to an area where the locals go and meet some much nicer (and younger and more attractive) girls? I'm not talking about Warm Up, Fabrique or places like that.

I can answer that, but only for myself, personally of course. I really don't like Nimmanhaemin pubs, it's too much of a yuppie scene. And like most local nighlife, locals go in groups. That's fine when you can arrange a night out with the Mrs and some mutual friends, but not when you're just out of the office and just want a beer and some banter for an hour or two. Note: There are local places that have less of a yuppie feel, specifically in the Santitham area, but again most people go in groups (table-based setting, not bar-based setting) and you could also argue that it's just as 'seedy' as Loi Kroh with all the (admittedly cute) chicks to talk to. But.. I'm happily married and I honestly don't care if I'm chatting with a super cute young beer chick, or with someone a bit older; There's probably an '.....-ism' for wanting to exclude less pretty folk in life, so please fill in on the dotted line. And besides, I have more in common with women who are a bit more mature, have kids themselves, know what it's like to actually work for a living. (Most of the older ones had a pretty standard hard-working Thai family life prior) A 17 year old beer chick in Santitham however thinks money magically falls from the sky everytime she smiles. (which may actually be true in her case ;) )

I would have enjoyed places like that about 10 years ago. That's really a 20-30ish crowd and older farangs look silly in there just like they would in a similar place in Europe or the USA.

I think I'm past the time to mind if I look silly or not. :) If I minded I could have stayed in Europe and stay home and watch TV every night.

• Like 1

If you are an ex-pat living here then why not go to an area where the locals go and meet some much nicer (and younger and more attractive) girls? I'm not talking about Warm Up, Fabrique or places like that.

and where would that be?

love it or leave it, same same easy to aviod if u are afended, but its a place farang can go and actually talk and flirt and have a little boy fun , most other bars no one talks to u if u don't know thai , i have a lot of fun with the girls down there, like it to be bigger with better girls