BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Beetlejuice

Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

Well I know it probably was not a Kowloon establishment, because I recall at the time I was living in Kowloon, and had to taxi my way through one of the tunnels at sun rise. Sometimes it is terrible to be lying in a taxi at 6:00 AM, in stop and go bumper-to-bumper traffic, on the way home to Kowloon.

That is the nice thing about these places in CM,

There are no tunnels.

Sawasdee Khrup, Hungry Male Ghosts,

Yes, I hear you, clinking the chains of testosterone past. Vainly attempting to recapitulate the fantasy residue of your hallucinatory hunter-gatherer past (when size really mattered).

Hmmm ... do phii preta exist in all four genders ?

All the wonderful expression, on this thread, of the higher aspects of male Homo Saps biological and psychic nature is most touching, but, it is about to be rendered moot.

Yes, I have it on good authority from a high-ranking Provincial administrator that all bars in Chiang Mai, involved in what is euphemistically referred to as "night life," will be temporarily shut-down, then re-furbished, and then re-opened, under centralized administrative control.

At this moment, a special task-force from several branches of Chiang Mai Jungwat, and Chiang Mai Amphur Muang, are at work on this project, code-named "การสร้างล่าสุดของปู่" ("Grandpa's Last Boner" is my working translation of that, but I may be way off).

All the re-cycled "night-life" bars will then have one generic name, followed by a number, making them easy to identify in emergency calls, and easy to display on special maps, and a future special 3-d multi-media web-site.

The post on this thread by "OldChinaOink" may have inadvertently leaked the proposed future generic name, "Specimen," however, I believe this may be just another code word, and/or a pun: since the sounds of "specimen" ("ตัวอย่าง") and "condom" ("ถุงยาง") in Thai are slightly homophonic. Another hypothesis would be that "specimen" could be a somewhat Tinglish contraction of "Special Man."

Putting names aside, since I cannot speak for the two minds inside me with one voice, and say, as Humpty-Dumpty said: "When I use a word ... it means just what I choose it to mean neither more nor less," it is the uniform design aspects of these refurbished sexual alms-houses for the geriatric foreign male that may be of most interest.

My source will only tell me that there is strong debate about the numeric classification scheme at this time, but he did say that all the new emporiums of earthly delights will have double-wide wheelchair access ramps; will have wheelchairs, crutches, and walkers, on site, as well as defibrillators, vending machines with both erectile resurrection pharmaceuticals, and their antidotes, straight-jackets, and gurneys.

Sounds like a solid idea to us me. "O tempora, o mores:" times change, demographics change: business must adapt ?

I can imagine it would be much easier for arthritic fingers to text: "c u 9 @ 42;" than to text: "c u 9 @ Whalebelly."

~o:37;

Now that I am actually able to recapitulate, the lesson learned is that facing a sunrise under such circumstances is really not worth the pleasure.

• Like 1

Apparently there is science to back up why the past seems better than the present . For one who is back in the UK now after having my three months stay over winter you in-country guys moaning about this and that should maybe open your eyes and remind yourself of some of the many pleasures that Thailand is uniquely able to offer. Thailand to me is a bit like a women can't live with it - can't live without it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-markman-phd/past-less-intense-than-present_b_987726.html

• Like 1

Let me add some more for comparison.

Look at IanForbes pictures of Loi Kroh by day. I was in Bangkok yesterday and walked around the lower Sukhumvit area. Do you have ANY idea what, say, Nana Entertainment Plaza looks like by day? It's a certified sight to behold. And the Sleaze Explosion late at night? Any street in Chiang Mai including LK looks like sacred temple ground compared to that.

In NEP by the way, bars tend to charge 135 or even 145 baht for a small glass of Sangsom & Coke or a beer. Out on the street it's still a hefty 80-100. Of course you do get to experience the Tsunami of Sleaze for that. A mix of crazy young chicks, desperate old aunties, plenty ladyboys, a big contingent of African hookers, tuk tuk drivers thinking you might want a sexy lady or a body massage, and that in a steaming hot, grimy street filled with the trash of the earlier night market. Loi Kroh and the moat near Thapae? It's the Champs-Élysées in comparison!

You make NEP sound really great fun actually. Intentional?

I've a good Loi Kroh area massage run away story too.

I went to this weird barber / massage place near Ta Pae Gate / Starbucks, one of the tiny shops - God knows why, I just wanted to try them out I guess. A respectable looking middle aged lady led me upstairs. Then she left and in came a much older and much less respectable looking woman. Ok, I thought. The first 5 minutes her "massage" was already hurting me - not good. Then she grabbed my private parts and made grunting sounds! Regardless of the fact that I hadnt come there for that, and that if I'd come there for that then certainly not with this lady - in what world is a move like that sexy?? Put on my clothes, paid for the massage (200) and left as quickly as I could without running....

BTW the other places in my experience are totally safe; if they offer the happy ending - not all do - then they do it in a very nice way, and they have no issues with a polite decline. If that scares you, just go to the temples - great massage, very cheap, and guaranteed no happy endings on offer...

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the bloody toxic smoke - I would spend most of my winter's in Chiang Mai for sure. The best overall place for a middle-aged + farang to live in LOS.The last two times I come back from lengthy stays in Thailand I have coughs and sore throats that seem to last forever.

Maybe your coughs come from too many rounds of golf in the fresh air.

Try a 3M respirator.

This may also have dual purpose if the powers that be in ShangHai keep sending down their guys who are also under the weather.

People seem to make too much, or complain too much, about the air pollution.

CM air is actually, I think, quite good. And there is plenty of sun. This is not really a true basin, after all.

If you really wish to enjoy some pea soup, you should go to plenty of places in China,

I can recommend a few if you wish to try out your new respirator.

Well done OldChinaHam on busting your 100 cherry. There's always a worm in paradise so maybe I should stop thinking about the smoke as a reason not to come and live here.

Hyku wise words I have got many fond memories of Loi Kroh Road.

• Like 1

Apparently there is science to back up why the past seems better than the present . For one who is back in the UK now after having my three months stay over winter you in-country guys moaning about this and that should maybe open your eyes and remind yourself of some of the many pleasures that Thailand is uniquely able to offer. Thailand to me is a bit like a women can't live with it - can't live without it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-markman-phd/past-less-intense-than-present_b_987726.html

That is a brilliant article! It deals with perceptions of people in their younger years versus when older, but I dare say it applies exactly the same to our collective 'second youth' after moving to Thailand.

Specifically:

When people make judgments about things, they usually do it in relation to something else. For example, when they say that a concert is excellent, they mean that it is excellent compared to the concerts they have seen up to that point. [...] When we look back on events from our youth, we are likely to remember many things as being excellent, or awesome, or brilliant. We just forget how we decided on their excellence or brilliance. With a broader base of experience as an adult, it takes a lot for us to be truly awed. So we decide that things must have been better when we were younger.

[Another] factor comes from the time difference itself. Quite a bit of research suggests that we tend to think about the distant past more abstractly than we think about the present. Lots of the specific things that are happening right now involve the petty annoyances that you have to deal with to navigate daily life. There are bills to be paid, stacks of laundry to be done, tests to be taken and errands to run. When you think about the past, those petty annoyances don't come up. So, all you think about are the great times you had.

BTW, I did start that topic in the Pattaya forum to see if the people there thought if it was better in the old days, with very predictable results:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/635144-changes-in-pattaya-over-the-last-10-or-so-years/

Of course, everyone considers the exact time they got to Thailand (or started going to bars) to be the best time, even though it's different for everyone. rolleyes.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai