BANGKOK 19 April 2019 23:48
Sign in to follow this  
Beetlejuice

Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

I agree, there is still plenty of action around, but those were halcyon days for many of us old timers. old_man-3569.gif

but it's Us that's changed UG! I know you go back much further in Chiang Mai than me, but I think the street is more fun than it was 18 years ago when I first came here - and there's more in the way of, dare I say it - legitimate night life, mixed up with the naughty stuff!

You are right, but as we were younger then, many of us enjoyed it more than we might now. Of course, Ian Forbes never ages, so he still going strong.  :thumbsup:

Of course, Ian Forbes never ages, so he still going strong.  :thumbsup:

You mean he's a vampire? :w00t:

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

We believe this video (kid-sister safe) Essence of Farang on Loy Kroh captures the "spiritual essence" of the icon that "Loy Kroh" has become in the minds of certain expats in Chiang Mai, but we suggest you be patient for the first 22 seconds of it: you can last that long, can't you ?

best, ~o:37;

I went to Loy Kroh today as i was starving for some eye candy . :lol: ( i am stuck out in the sticks with a thai wife in San Sai )

Edited by Thaifan2

I went to Loy Kroh today as i was starving for some eye candy . :lol: ( i am stuck out in the sticks with a thai wife in San Sai )

If that is where you go in CNX for eye candy, I would suggest that living in San Sai has made you blind ;)

In some of the massage parlours we could see the farang guy sitting outside trying to look inconspicuous and to not bring attention upon himself that he is the owner.

Actually, those guys are usually tourists trying to get a "good girl' to date them for free. They really get in the way of real customers. :annoyed:

Seriously..? As if there's much difference in background between bargirls, massage girls, waitresses and other lower-end jobs? That's a bit misguided, but up to them of course. (As long as they don't start yapping on TV or elsewhere about having landed a 'good girl' who's actually an hilltribe massage girl or whatever, and how he's so much better than 'those guys who married bargirls' :rolleyes: . )

"I was taken back just how seedy, dirty and squalid that area has become."

What was it like before?

Sometimes its not the pIace that changes, but our perception and expectations.

True, but in this case, around 1998 or so, 2-3 girls would physically block your path and grab you as you walked down Loi Kroh and try to drag you inside.

The OP seems to speak of a trend towards seediness, but I bet he only arrived a year or 2 ago. :rolleyes:

Clearly the trend is towards it becoming more up-market. How newbie would one have to be to not see that. :D

It is more about the "free' part I think, but these guys are always sitting in front of massage parlors trying to chat up the girls and getting in the way of real customers who are willing to pay for a massage.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Let me add some more for comparison.

Look at IanForbes pictures of Loi Kroh by day. I was in Bangkok yesterday and walked around the lower Sukhumvit area. Do you have ANY idea what, say, Nana Entertainment Plaza looks like by day? It's a certified sight to behold. And the Sleaze Explosion late at night? Any street in Chiang Mai including LK looks like sacred temple ground compared to that.

In NEP by the way, bars tend to charge 135 or even 145 baht for a small glass of Sangsom & Coke or a beer. Out on the street it's still a hefty 80-100. Of course you do get to experience the Tsunami of Sleaze for that. A mix of crazy young chicks, desperate old aunties, plenty ladyboys, a big contingent of African hookers, tuk tuk drivers thinking you might want a sexy lady or a body massage, and that in a steaming hot, grimy street filled with the trash of the earlier night market. Loi Kroh and the moat near Thapae? It's the Champs-Élysées in comparison!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Another very informative and interesting post from WTK! First Russian and now African hookers in Thailand? What is this country coming to?

Let me add some more for comparison.

Look at IanForbes pictures of Loi Kroh by day. I was in Bangkok yesterday and walked around the lower Sukhumvit area. Do you have ANY idea what, say, Nana Entertainment Plaza looks like by day? It's a certified sight to behold. And the Sleaze Explosion late at night? Any street in Chiang Mai including LK looks like sacred temple ground compared to that.

In NEP by the way, bars tend to charge 135 or even 145 baht for a small glass of Sangsom & Coke or a beer. Out on the street it's still a hefty 80-100. Of course you do get to experience the Tsunami of Sleaze for that. A mix of crazy young chicks, desperate old aunties, plenty ladyboys, a big contingent of African hookers, tuk tuk drivers thinking you might want a sexy lady or a body massage, and that in a steaming hot, grimy street filled with the trash of the earlier night market. Loi Kroh and the moat near Thapae? It's the Champs-Élysées in comparison!

You should be writing copy for TAT adverts,...... got me missing BKK.

Another very informative and interesting post from WTK! First Russian and now African hookers in Thailand? What is this country coming to?

The 'invisible hand', demand and supply?

TBH compared to other places like BKK, Phuket and Pattaya, the P4P scene in Chiang Mai is tiny so im not sure why you are getting so hot under the collar. Aldo ladyboys and katoeys have always been a part of Thailand and always will. Your just a farang there so it's not for you to say what should be done there just because you may not agree with it.

Why not?

The bars on Loi Kroh cater exclusively to foreigners not Thai's, so why can't a foreigner voice an opinion?

Does that mean tourists should start giving patong and pattaya makeovers too?

have you seen what the "foresighted" developers are doing to those towns?