Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

Absolutely. You'd have to get drunk to go home with any of those Loy Kroh ladies. Its what happens in the morning that bothers me.

That is why you are given lots to choose from. I know a handful of very lovely gals who work at bars along Loy Kroh and I defy anyone to say they are not good looking and don't have nice figures. It's no different than ANYWERE in ANY country. Since I've been home in Canada for a month and I wander around the super market doing my shopping (yah, I have to cook for myself) I look at everyone and I can't say I would take one in 50 home with me if given the opportunity... even if they were free and available. I'm a pretty fussy guy when it comes to my partners and if an old fart like me can get away with it then I can understand the attraction for others.

You can always take the extreme in any situation and try to make it out to be the norm, but it's not. Yes, I look at many of the sad, homely women who are trying to eke out a living by doing whatever they can, and I wonder why they bother, but their options are limited and they made some bad choices in their life.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about letting the Thais decide what to do with their own country? I wonder just how happy you'd be if a bunch of foreigners moved to your home town and started lecturing you on how they thought it

Posted Images

Another friend mentioned to me that some time ago he visited a massage parlour in the area. He said that after 5 minutes the woman wanted to give him a little more extra then the regular massage. My friend was not interested and then the woman became abusive and aggressive, insisting on a 500 baht tip. My friend this being only his second time holidaying in Thailand, out of fear paid the woman and ran out. LOL If you don"t like the street well don't go down their,I have to get out more at night. I am loving this placeLOL just my 2 cents

Another friend mentioned to me that some time ago he visited a massage parlour in the area. He said that after 5 minutes the woman wanted to give him a little more extra then the regular massage. My friend was not interested and then the woman became abusive and aggressive, insisting on a 500 baht tip. My friend this being only his second time holidaying in Thailand, out of fear paid the woman and ran out. THATS FUNNY LOL IF YOU DON'T LIKE A STREET DON'T GO I AM TRIED OF READING STUFF ON HOW BAD IT IS HERE.I AM HAVING A GREAT TIME WOULD NOT WON'T IT ANY OTHER WAY JUST MY 2 CENTS

I went to Loy Kroh today as i was starving for some eye candy . :lol: ( i am stuck out in the sticks with a thai wife in San Sai )

Eye candies don't arrive before 10pm :D

While it makes me sad to hear of women in their 30-40's desperately trying to get customers. I would like to see the continuation of the red light district. I am not offended by the red light district, or anything that is part of it. With the exception of obnoxious drunks. I would like to see the improvement of the Red Light district.

While it makes me sad to hear of women in their 30-40's desperately trying to get customers. I would like to see the continuation of the red light district. I am not offended by the red light district, or anything that is part of it. With the exception of obnoxious drunks. I would like to see the improvement of the Red Light district.

I went to Loy Kroh today as i was starving for some eye candy . :lol: ( i am stuck out in the sticks with a thai wife in San Sai )

Surely the eye candy is better in the local places up and down all major roads out of town including yours? That said I couldn' t help but notice some new faces at LK, Linda Bar specifically. (Too bad I don't like the place that much, but it still warrants a mention.)

I went there last night for the first time. Ive only been here for about a month. I didnt find the place seedy at all. Just some people drinking and having fun. I did live in Pattaya for a couple months so many desenstized to "scene."

I quite like the place. Rarely visit the first set of tourist/girlie bars, but nice to walk past (always seem sparsely populated though these days). I like to have a mexican and a beer at Torros or pop in Petr's place (Olde Bell) or walk right through to Red Lion or Guitarman - more my sort of places personally. I agree that something should be done for the rat population though! They could probably even do with a few old time seedier places too (from a tourist point of view).

I do think there is real potetial in the neighbouring streets though - Chiang Moi or Thapea Road, for a bit more upmarket scene (possibly a small cassino too for the high rollers - not the low class card/tile places - would require a law change of course) - after all TAT is always going on about attracting better class of tourist! Be easier to pick and choose without having to go to the hotels or travel out - makes sense to keep it all together. I realise this isn't practical with the world's ecconomy in the toilet, but maybe a thought for the future rather than building hotels and guest houses left, right and centre that remain mostly empty all year around.

In some of the massage parlours we could see the farang guy sitting outside trying to look inconspicuous and to not bring attention upon himself that he is the owner.

Actually, those guys are usually tourists trying to get a "good girl' to date them for free. They really get in the way of real customers. :annoyed:

Seriously..? As if there's much difference in background between bargirls, massage girls, waitresses and other lower-end jobs? That's a bit misguided, but up to them of course. (As long as they don't start yapping on TV or elsewhere about having landed a 'good girl' who's actually an hilltribe massage girl or whatever, and how he's so much better than 'those guys who married bargirls' :rolleyes: . )

That's a bit presumptuous don't you think? I don't believe for a second that being a massage girl, waitresses etc automatically puts them in the bad to be a gf/person category at all. I know a few of them (not having picked them up, or having any interest in them) and they don't go home with customers, don't offer extra services and prefer a steady relationship. But of course, I'm sure you will say you know better. Someone has to do the low end jobs (in any country) and simply because they do you can't go label them with your preconceived ideas of what type of person 'you' think they are. Sure there are people who aren't the 'good girl', but I've also known girls who have money and aren't so 'good'. Quite rightly makes me angry when people like you lay your all mighty perceptions on people you don't know. Stereotypes exist true, but doesn't mean 'good girls' don't exist in those 'lowly end jobs' Some of them are normal people who are just trying to earn an 'honest living'.

In some of the massage parlours we could see the farang guy sitting outside trying to look inconspicuous and to not bring attention upon himself that he is the owner.

Actually, those guys are usually tourists trying to get a "good girl' to date them for free. They really get in the way of real customers. :annoyed:

Seriously..? As if there's much difference in background between bargirls, massage girls, waitresses and other lower-end jobs? That's a bit misguided, but up to them of course. (As long as they don't start yapping on TV or elsewhere about having landed a 'good girl' who's actually an hilltribe massage girl or whatever, and how he's so much better than 'those guys who married bargirls' :rolleyes: . )

That's a bit presumptuous don't you think? I don't believe for a second that being a massage girl, waitresses etc automatically puts them in the bad to be a gf/person category at all. I know a few of them (not having picked them up, or having any interest in them) and they don't go home with customers, don't offer extra services and prefer a steady relationship. But of course, I'm sure you will say you know better. Someone has to do the low end jobs (in any country) and simply because they do you can't go label them with your preconceived ideas of what type of person 'you' think they are. Sure there are people who aren't the 'good girl', but I've also known girls who have money and aren't so 'good'. Quite rightly makes me angry when people like you lay your all mighty perceptions on people you don't know. Stereotypes exist true, but doesn't mean 'good girls' don't exist in those 'lowly end jobs' Some of them are normal people who are just trying to earn an 'honest living'.

You are probably right. But unfortunately women that work in these category jobs are stereotyped and have been given reputations as being women of ill repute, whether some are or not, they are still all tarred with the same brush. And I dare say that the accusations of them having bad reputations have not been placed upon the BG types all for no reasons.

There are of course many legitimate good girls that work in the sex and adult entertainment industries, I would say a very small minority, but personally I wouldn’t take the risks of ever becoming hooked up or romantically involved with any of them because it is true that most have originated from low class backgrounds. Quite a few do have problems, mental or financial and can be unpredictable

Sorry, but that’s life and the way of the world, even if some of the views and opinions about these girls are undeserved and unfounded.

That's a bit presumptuous don't you think? I don't believe for a second that being a massage girl, waitresses etc automatically puts them in the bad to be a gf/person category at all.

What I was saying that they tend to originate from a poor/rural background, with limited education and limited experience in mainstream middle class society. They are less likely to be an 'equal partner' to you in almost every way. Most notably financially. This imbalance often means that just financial issues alone cause a lot of turbulence in the relationship. Not sure if I should list out all the things that come about from inexperience with managing money or budget, but you are likely to experience some difficult discussions with people from generally the same poor/rural background as most bargirls.

I know a few of them (not having picked them up, or having any interest in them) and they don't go home with customers, don't offer extra services and prefer a steady relationship. But of course, I'm sure you will say you know better.

Not at all. I'm going to say 'it doesn't matter'. Their moral virtue is assumed. (Morals and virtue can also be found in plenty bargirls for that matter, depending on definition). But you will be arguing the silliest of money, budgeting or social issues with partners who were bargirls or waitresses or gas station attendants just the same. The result will likely be you end up not as equal partners.

As for 'social issues' this refers to functioning as regular middle class people now that she's acquired a financially middle or higher middle class life through her relationship with you. That includes 'getting stuff done' pro-actively at government offices and not acting like an inferior, and generally holding her own in society. I'm sure you have heard once or twice (or more) from 'knowledgeable Farangs' on this forum or elsewhere that Thai people can instantly recognize an ex bargirl for a partner. That's of course not realy true; they're not psychic. What it is they're recognising is someone who's uneducated, doesn't handle herself well, and is generally not of the same class they perceive from themselves. Of course they don't know if she was dancing on a pole 1 year ago or walking behind a tractor or waiting tables, but the key is: it doesn't matter to them!' Virtue doesn't enter into it.

I do realise this sucks, and I definitely don't like some of the classism or even domestic racism that's rife in Thailand. But I am explaining why the distinction between bar girl or farm girl for all intends and purposes isn't as big of a thing as many Westerners make it out to be.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

That may be true, Beetlejuice, but frankly, after seeing what has gone on for the past 60 years I've been involved with the female species, and began to understand what was going on, I don't see much difference between women who sleep with multiple partners for free and those that sleep with multiple partners for money. And, the men who are with them are no different either. They want something and are willing ot pay for it one way or another. Women have a commodity that men want and the women use it either as a direct bartering system, or: to earn some extra money, to further their careers, to land a husband, to father a child, or any number of other personal goals. Religious groups have tried to put artificial standards on what is just a natural process, and try to enforce strict, rigid rules of behaviour that just don't work. Either married or un-married, it hasn't made any difference with both men and women.

I trust no one but myself and treat everyone with respect until they prove otherwise. Even then I make allowances for other people's actions. If I get stung occasionally then so be it. That is more than made up by people whose company I enjoy. That includes people from all walks of society. If they have something to offer that keeps me entertained then that is all I ask for. I've had male friends who were totally untrustworthy. They seldom acted responsible, never arrived on time, didn't repay loans and seldom did what they say they were going to do. But, when we were together there was always excitement and fun. Many of my memorable trips happened with such a fellow. However, I knew his limitations and I worked within them. I never changed other plans to fit in with Bobby Rays or I suffered the consequences. I can tell at least 10 great Bobby Ray stories. It has been no different with the women I've met in Thailand. They've all had something to offer that enriched my life. And, it hasn't just been their bodies.