BANGKOK
flakes

Good International School In Chiang Mai

We are seriously considering moving to Chiang mai on a short notice.

I have a son of 7 years old who can speak decent english and Thai.

Am looking for a really child friendly international school..with a lot of sports, good playgrounds etc etc and not to strict for little kids.we prefer a int school that follows the britisch curriculum.Even i would consider a montessori system.Hope this school has lot of mixed kids and even some farang kids going there.

would anyone has some tips and or school names for ? what are the prices in average for a term anyway in Chiang mai?

About accomendation what we would like to rent but i not sure if its exist in Chiang mai a house in a big family village 300-500 villas clubhouse pools and restaurants ..a place where kids is playing together after school.near to city center and all the schools.I know in Phuket there is a vilage named Phuket land and house.We always have enjoyed staying there.

We look forward to any comments and or advice since we totally unexperienced with Chiang mai.

Thanks alot already,

Flakes

Welcome to Chiang Mai ! :D

There are several International-Schools here, spread out North/Central/South of the town, including PTIS (also often called Prem), then NIS (Nakorn Payap), CMIS, Varee, LIST (Lanna), Grace, CDSC (German/Swiss/Austrian), APIS (American Pacific). Prices vary widely !

Lanna I S T , near the Southern-end of the airport-runway, is probably the most British one.

There are a number of threads, as you can imagine, just do a search on this sub-forum ! B)

There are only two schools in Chiang Mai that offer the UK curriculum (Cambridge IGCSE) but if you want your seven year old to be doing the UK curriculum now, Lanna International is your only choice. The other, Varee International, doesn't have an intake until Year 9 although many children (my own included) start in their excellent English Programme, which is the Thai National Curriculum but taught in English by native speakers. When my stepson is old enough I'll almost certainly make the change to International if funds permit.

Varee's campus is very modern and well equipped whereas Lanna's is rather older, but the teaching is likely to be just as good in either place. Hardly any schools in Thailand are what those of us from the UK or US would call sporty and I know VCS is working to improve this aspect, but they're probably both as good as it gets around here.

Expect to pay about 190,000 - 200,000 baht a year for fees in Year 10 but less for a younger child. There are one time payments in all schools here that make the first year a lot more expensive. You'll find countless modern, family friendly developments close to both schools with rents for a three bedroom house starting from about 15,000 a month. Incidentally, one of the reasons I like the Varee English Programme at this stage is that my son (who has just turned 10) gets to mix with a very wide range of children rather than mostly those of expat and international families who are often here on a temporary basis. Thee fact that it's half the price of the International Programme elsewhere is an added but welcome bonus.

Lanna International

Varee International

VCS English Programme

A two or three day visit is needed to see the schools and check out the territory. Incidentally, Varee has a Family Extravaganza & Open Day on May 21st from 9:00 - 2:00 with all manner of village fete type entertainments where you can meet staff and look around while the kids do bouncy castle type things. Good luck with your choice.

Edited by Greenside

Welcome to international school thread 294 (well that's my guess) and counting. rolleyes.gif

If you are specifically looking for an international school for a Primary School age child that follows the British curriculum then I believe that the only international school North of Bangkok that meets your needs is Lanna International School. Varee's international annexe, unless it has changed very recently, is not accredited as an international school and begins to follow the British curriculum only at Secondary age.

If you do a search for international schools you will find lots of previous threads. I believe the last one discussing the pro's and cons of Varee was this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/424120-varee-hair-police/ It started as a hair thread then degenerated into a heated debate of aspects of the school.

You have probably already noticed that there is a CMIS thread running at the moment, so you get the picture of how some of these discussions go! CMIS have inspectors in school this week so that one should get interesting. ph34r.gif

Welcome to Chiang Mai ! :D

There are several International-Schools here, spread out North/Central/South of the town, including PTIS (also often called Prem), then NIS (Nakorn Payap), CMIS, Varee, LIST (Lanna), Grace, CDSC (German/Swiss/Austrian), APIS (American Pacific). Prices vary widely !

Lanna I S T , near the Southern-end of the airport-runway, is probably the most British one.

There are a number of threads, as you can imagine, just do a search on this sub-forum ! B)

Ok thanks for this i will check out the websites...

How is life in Chiang mai in general ?

There are only two schools in Chiang Mai that offer the UK curriculum (Cambridge IGCSE) but if you want your seven year old to be doing the UK curriculum now, Lanna International is your only choice. The other, Varee International, doesn't have an intake until Year 9 although many children (my own included) start in their excellent English Programme, which is the Thai National Curriculum but taught in English by native speakers. When my stepson is old enough I'll almost certainly make the change to International if funds permit.

Varee's campus is very modern and well equipped whereas Lanna's is rather older, but the teaching is likely to be just as good in either place. Hardly any schools in Thailand are what those of us from the UK or US would call sporty and I know VCS is working to improve this aspect, but they're probably both as good as it gets around here.

Expect to pay about 190,000 - 200,000 baht a year for fees in Year 10 but less for a younger child. There are one time payments in all schools here that make the first year a lot more expensive. You'll find countless modern, family friendly developments close to both schools with rents for a three bedroom house starting from about 15,000 a month. Incidentally, one of the reasons I like the Varee English Programme at this stage is that my son (who has just turned 10) gets to mix with a very wide range of children rather than mostly those of expat and international families who are often here on a temporary basis. Thee fact that it's half the price of the International Programme elsewhere is an added but welcome bonus.

Lanna International

Varee International

VCS English Programme

A two or three day visit is needed to see the schools and check out the territory. Incidentally, Varee has a Family Extravaganza & Open Day on May 21st from 9:00 - 2:00 with all manner of village fete type entertainments where you can meet staff and look around while the kids do bouncy castle type things. Good luck with your choice.

Hello green side,

Thanks alot for your complete information...

I need to absorb it little more first and probably visit some schools in July...

It seems there are in chiang mai international schools but they only have 2 terms a year.. so basicly they folowing the thai holiday curiculum..

I always tought every international school in thailand has minimum 3 terms and then will follow the holiday curiculum either same as in europe or usa..

My son now goes to international school in pattaya and has 3 terms a year and holiday exactely the same as in europe/..

I always tought every international school in thailand has minimum 3 terms and then will follow the holiday curiculum either same as in europe or usa..

My son now goes to international school in pattaya and has 3 terms a year and holiday exactely the same as in europe/..

Many (or most?? all??) of the international schools in BKK have two terms/semester per year (same as most US schools), and they follow a western holiday schedule.....meaning June/July summer vacation, as opposed to March/April summer vacation like the Thai schools.

Life in Chiang Mai is good (unless you like to play music occasionally and don't have a work permit) ;)

All the international schools (as far as I am aware) work on a holiday schedule with main holidays in June/July, and major holidays at Christmas and Songkran, making three terms. However, fee structures (again as far as I am aware) work on a 2 semester basis. I'm not sure why the fees schedules don't fit in with the term schedules.....

Hi flakes,

Welcome to Chiang Mai - if you actually come! Chiang Mai is a great place to live.

You've had some pretty good advice so far, especially from Greenside. You do indeed need to get out and visit the schools, and probably more importantly, speak to parents with students in the schools. Varee has got the day coming up that was mentioned earlier and tomorrow is one of the Lanna International School PTO barbecues. It's on from 6 to 8 pm and would be a great opportunity to talk to parents in a relaxed atmosphere and discover the truth from a parents' perspective...

I don't think anywhere in Chiang Mai has a housing estate quite like the one you require but there are many large housing developments to the South of the city within a few kilometres of Lanna that you might like to investigate. These include: World Club Land, Koolpuntville 6, 7, 8, Home in Park, Baan Nai Fun2, to name a few. Perhaps others can add more? There is also an enormous housing estate being built nearby that looks like it will be on the huge scale that you describe. I have, however, no idea what it is called.

PS there was an article in CityLife magazine recently focused on Lanna that you might be interested to read: http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3098

All the international schools (as far as I am aware) work on a holiday schedule with main holidays in June/July, and major holidays at Christmas and Songkran, making three terms. However, fee structures (again as far as I am aware) work on a 2 semester basis. I'm not sure why the fees schedules don't fit in with the term schedules.....

I can't say for sure how the other international schools in Thailand structure their academic years, but I know that the one I work at does not have 3 terms. We have 2 semesters, which are further broken down into quarters for reporting purposes at some grade levels. Fee structures reflect the 2 semesters.

I'm having a hard time understanding how it could make sense to have 3 terms, separated by a summer holiday, Christmas, & Songkran. That would mean ~5 months in the first term, ~3.5 months in the second term, and ~1.5 months in the last term.

I can't say for sure how the other international schools in Thailand structure their academic years, but I know that the one I work at does not have 3 terms. We have 2 semesters, which are further broken down into quarters for reporting purposes at some grade levels. Fee structures reflect the 2 semesters.

I'm having a hard time understanding how it could make sense to have 3 terms, separated by a summer holiday, Christmas, & Songkran. That would mean ~5 months in the first term, ~3.5 months in the second term, and ~1.5 months in the last term.

Hi ,

About the 3 terms here is how they break it down..

school starts end august and till chirstmas that is the first term , then the second term starts beginning of january and is till the beginning of april., then the third term starts nd of april till almost the end of july..

you can expect an invoice for each term.

Flakes: CMIS is two terms only and only charges for two. What school(s) are you thinking of ? Does your wife pay the bills and is this HER explanation to you, as you fork over for a 3rd term? Just kidding, but how did you come by this information?

Hi flakes,

Welcome to Chiang Mai - if you actually come! Chiang Mai is a great place to live.

You've had some pretty good advice so far, especially from Greenside. You do indeed need to get out and visit the schools, and probably more importantly, speak to parents with students in the schools. Varee has got the day coming up that was mentioned earlier and tomorrow is one of the Lanna International School PTO barbecues. It's on from 6 to 8 pm and would be a great opportunity to talk to parents in a relaxed atmosphere and discover the truth from a parents' perspective...

I don't think anywhere in Chiang Mai has a housing estate quite like the one you require but there are many large housing developments to the South of the city within a few kilometres of Lanna that you might like to investigate. These include: World Club Land, Koolpuntville 6, 7, 8, Home in Park, Baan Nai Fun2, to name a few. Perhaps others can add more? There is also an enormous housing estate being built nearby that looks like it will be on the huge scale that you describe. I have, however, no idea what it is called.

PS there was an article in CityLife magazine recently focused on Lanna that you might be interested to read: http://www.chiangmai...wfa.php?id=3098

Hello,

Thanks your kind words and usefull information..

I saw some houses in world club village and yes the houses look really taste full ,so these parcs do they have some facilities such as a restaurant clubhouse and communual pool normally ?

Ok yes Lanna is certainly high on my list. i will research it more.

Flakes: CMIS is two terms only and only charges for two. What school(s) are you thinking of ? Does your wife pay the bills and is this HER explanation to you, as you fork over for a 3rd term? Just kidding, but how did you come by this information?

Heheheeh funny your comments ...I have to say that i am a single daddy so i only live together with my son (he is loek krung however) His thai mom is living with her bf in europe.

I have been living in Phuket and in pattaya and in both those cities the international schools had 3 terms a year however prices for those schools were also arround the 175.000 to 220.000 a year .so no big difference wether to pay that amount in 3 or in 2 terms the overall cost still remain the same.Actually that one of the few things that can become expensive in thailand and thats education.

i begin get excited coming over to Chiang Mai..

I am looking in Chiang Mai for a somewhat laid back international school.so not only study the whole day ,but also plenty of sports ,art ,dancing umm creatvity...and not to long school days,enough play time during the day etc etc..which int is the most laid back that what i look for..its a pitty there is not yet a int montessori school in chiang mai otherwise i would have select that one.

Edited by flakes