Good International School In Chiang Mai

flakes

We are seriously considering moving to Chiang mai on a short notice.

I have a son of 7 years old who can speak decent english and Thai.

Am looking for a really child friendly international school..with a lot of sports, good playgrounds etc etc and not to strict for little kids.we prefer a int school that follows the britisch curriculum.Even i would consider a montessori system.Hope this school has lot of mixed kids and even some farang kids going there.

would anyone has some tips and or school names for ? what are the prices in average for a term anyway in Chiang mai?

About accomendation what we would like to rent but i not sure if its exist in Chiang mai a house in a big family village 300-500 villas clubhouse pools and restaurants ..a place where kids is playing together after school.near to city center and all the schools.I know in Phuket there is a vilage named Phuket land and house.We always have enjoyed staying there.

We look forward to any comments and or advice since we totally unexperienced with Chiang mai.

Thanks alot already,

Flakes

Welcome to Chiang Mai ! :D

There are several International-Schools here, spread out North/Central/South of the town, including PTIS (also often called Prem), then NIS (Nakorn Payap), CMIS, Varee, LIST (Lanna), Grace, CDSC (German/Swiss/Austrian), APIS (American Pacific). Prices vary widely !

Lanna I S T , near the Southern-end of the airport-runway, is probably the most British one.

There are a number of threads, as you can imagine, just do a search on this sub-forum ! B)

There are only two schools in Chiang Mai that offer the UK curriculum (Cambridge IGCSE) but if you want your seven year old to be doing the UK curriculum now, Lanna International is your only choice. The other, Varee International, doesn't have an intake until Year 9 although many children (my own included) start in their excellent English Programme, which is the Thai National Curriculum but taught in English by native speakers. When my stepson is old enough I'll almost certainly make the change to International if funds permit.

Varee's campus is very modern and well equipped whereas Lanna's is rather older, but the teaching is likely to be just as good in either place. Hardly any schools in Thailand are what those of us from the UK or US would call sporty and I know VCS is working to improve this aspect, but they're probably both as good as it gets around here.

Expect to pay about 190,000 - 200,000 baht a year for fees in Year 10 but less for a younger child. There are one time payments in all schools here that make the first year a lot more expensive. You'll find countless modern, family friendly developments close to both schools with rents for a three bedroom house starting from about 15,000 a month. Incidentally, one of the reasons I like the Varee English Programme at this stage is that my son (who has just turned 10) gets to mix with a very wide range of children rather than mostly those of expat and international families who are often here on a temporary basis. Thee fact that it's half the price of the International Programme elsewhere is an added but welcome bonus.

Lanna International

Varee International

VCS English Programme

A two or three day visit is needed to see the schools and check out the territory. Incidentally, Varee has a Family Extravaganza & Open Day on May 21st from 9:00 - 2:00 with all manner of village fete type entertainments where you can meet staff and look around while the kids do bouncy castle type things. Good luck with your choice.

Edited by Greenside

Welcome to international school thread 294 (well that's my guess) and counting. rolleyes.gif

If you are specifically looking for an international school for a Primary School age child that follows the British curriculum then I believe that the only international school North of Bangkok that meets your needs is Lanna International School. Varee's international annexe, unless it has changed very recently, is not accredited as an international school and begins to follow the British curriculum only at Secondary age.

If you do a search for international schools you will find lots of previous threads. I believe the last one discussing the pro's and cons of Varee was this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/424120-varee-hair-police/ It started as a hair thread then degenerated into a heated debate of aspects of the school.

You have probably already noticed that there is a CMIS thread running at the moment, so you get the picture of how some of these discussions go! CMIS have inspectors in school this week so that one should get interesting. ph34r.gif

Welcome to Chiang Mai ! :D

There are several International-Schools here, spread out North/Central/South of the town, including PTIS (also often called Prem), then NIS (Nakorn Payap), CMIS, Varee, LIST (Lanna), Grace, CDSC (German/Swiss/Austrian), APIS (American Pacific). Prices vary widely !

Lanna I S T , near the Southern-end of the airport-runway, is probably the most British one.

There are a number of threads, as you can imagine, just do a search on this sub-forum ! B)

Ok thanks for this i will check out the websites...

How is life in Chiang mai in general ?

There are only two schools in Chiang Mai that offer the UK curriculum (Cambridge IGCSE) but if you want your seven year old to be doing the UK curriculum now, Lanna International is your only choice. The other, Varee International, doesn't have an intake until Year 9 although many children (my own included) start in their excellent English Programme, which is the Thai National Curriculum but taught in English by native speakers. When my stepson is old enough I'll almost certainly make the change to International if funds permit.

Varee's campus is very modern and well equipped whereas Lanna's is rather older, but the teaching is likely to be just as good in either place. Hardly any schools in Thailand are what those of us from the UK or US would call sporty and I know VCS is working to improve this aspect, but they're probably both as good as it gets around here.

Expect to pay about 190,000 - 200,000 baht a year for fees in Year 10 but less for a younger child. There are one time payments in all schools here that make the first year a lot more expensive. You'll find countless modern, family friendly developments close to both schools with rents for a three bedroom house starting from about 15,000 a month. Incidentally, one of the reasons I like the Varee English Programme at this stage is that my son (who has just turned 10) gets to mix with a very wide range of children rather than mostly those of expat and international families who are often here on a temporary basis. Thee fact that it's half the price of the International Programme elsewhere is an added but welcome bonus.

Lanna International

Varee International

VCS English Programme

A two or three day visit is needed to see the schools and check out the territory. Incidentally, Varee has a Family Extravaganza & Open Day on May 21st from 9:00 - 2:00 with all manner of village fete type entertainments where you can meet staff and look around while the kids do bouncy castle type things. Good luck with your choice.

Hello green side,

Thanks alot for your complete information...

I need to absorb it little more first and probably visit some schools in July...

It seems there are in chiang mai international schools but they only have 2 terms a year.. so basicly they folowing the thai holiday curiculum..

I always tought every international school in thailand has minimum 3 terms and then will follow the holiday curiculum either same as in europe or usa..

My son now goes to international school in pattaya and has 3 terms a year and holiday exactely the same as in europe/..

I always tought every international school in thailand has minimum 3 terms and then will follow the holiday curiculum either same as in europe or usa..

My son now goes to international school in pattaya and has 3 terms a year and holiday exactely the same as in europe/..

Many (or most?? all??) of the international schools in BKK have two terms/semester per year (same as most US schools), and they follow a western holiday schedule.....meaning June/July summer vacation, as opposed to March/April summer vacation like the Thai schools.

All the international schools (as far as I am aware) work on a holiday schedule with main holidays in June/July, and major holidays at Christmas and Songkran, making three terms. However, fee structures (again as far as I am aware) work on a 2 semester basis. I'm not sure why the fees schedules don't fit in with the term schedules.....

Hi flakes,

Welcome to Chiang Mai - if you actually come! Chiang Mai is a great place to live.

You've had some pretty good advice so far, especially from Greenside. You do indeed need to get out and visit the schools, and probably more importantly, speak to parents with students in the schools. Varee has got the day coming up that was mentioned earlier and tomorrow is one of the Lanna International School PTO barbecues. It's on from 6 to 8 pm and would be a great opportunity to talk to parents in a relaxed atmosphere and discover the truth from a parents' perspective...

I don't think anywhere in Chiang Mai has a housing estate quite like the one you require but there are many large housing developments to the South of the city within a few kilometres of Lanna that you might like to investigate. These include: World Club Land, Koolpuntville 6, 7, 8, Home in Park, Baan Nai Fun2, to name a few. Perhaps others can add more? There is also an enormous housing estate being built nearby that looks like it will be on the huge scale that you describe. I have, however, no idea what it is called.

PS there was an article in CityLife magazine recently focused on Lanna that you might be interested to read: http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3098

All the international schools (as far as I am aware) work on a holiday schedule with main holidays in June/July, and major holidays at Christmas and Songkran, making three terms. However, fee structures (again as far as I am aware) work on a 2 semester basis. I'm not sure why the fees schedules don't fit in with the term schedules.....

I can't say for sure how the other international schools in Thailand structure their academic years, but I know that the one I work at does not have 3 terms. We have 2 semesters, which are further broken down into quarters for reporting purposes at some grade levels. Fee structures reflect the 2 semesters.

I'm having a hard time understanding how it could make sense to have 3 terms, separated by a summer holiday, Christmas, & Songkran. That would mean ~5 months in the first term, ~3.5 months in the second term, and ~1.5 months in the last term.

I can't say for sure how the other international schools in Thailand structure their academic years, but I know that the one I work at does not have 3 terms. We have 2 semesters, which are further broken down into quarters for reporting purposes at some grade levels. Fee structures reflect the 2 semesters.

I'm having a hard time understanding how it could make sense to have 3 terms, separated by a summer holiday, Christmas, & Songkran. That would mean ~5 months in the first term, ~3.5 months in the second term, and ~1.5 months in the last term.

Hi ,

About the 3 terms here is how they break it down..

school starts end august and till chirstmas that is the first term , then the second term starts beginning of january and is till the beginning of april., then the third term starts nd of april till almost the end of july..

you can expect an invoice for each term.

Flakes: CMIS is two terms only and only charges for two. What school(s) are you thinking of ? Does your wife pay the bills and is this HER explanation to you, as you fork over for a 3rd term? Just kidding, but how did you come by this information?

Hi flakes,

Welcome to Chiang Mai - if you actually come! Chiang Mai is a great place to live.

You've had some pretty good advice so far, especially from Greenside. You do indeed need to get out and visit the schools, and probably more importantly, speak to parents with students in the schools. Varee has got the day coming up that was mentioned earlier and tomorrow is one of the Lanna International School PTO barbecues. It's on from 6 to 8 pm and would be a great opportunity to talk to parents in a relaxed atmosphere and discover the truth from a parents' perspective...

I don't think anywhere in Chiang Mai has a housing estate quite like the one you require but there are many large housing developments to the South of the city within a few kilometres of Lanna that you might like to investigate. These include: World Club Land, Koolpuntville 6, 7, 8, Home in Park, Baan Nai Fun2, to name a few. Perhaps others can add more? There is also an enormous housing estate being built nearby that looks like it will be on the huge scale that you describe. I have, however, no idea what it is called.

PS there was an article in CityLife magazine recently focused on Lanna that you might be interested to read: http://www.chiangmai...wfa.php?id=3098

Hello,

Thanks your kind words and usefull information..

I saw some houses in world club village and yes the houses look really taste full ,so these parcs do they have some facilities such as a restaurant clubhouse and communual pool normally ?

Ok yes Lanna is certainly high on my list. i will research it more.

Flakes: CMIS is two terms only and only charges for two. What school(s) are you thinking of ? Does your wife pay the bills and is this HER explanation to you, as you fork over for a 3rd term? Just kidding, but how did you come by this information?

Heheheeh funny your comments ...I have to say that i am a single daddy so i only live together with my son (he is loek krung however) His thai mom is living with her bf in europe.

I have been living in Phuket and in pattaya and in both those cities the international schools had 3 terms a year however prices for those schools were also arround the 175.000 to 220.000 a year .so no big difference wether to pay that amount in 3 or in 2 terms the overall cost still remain the same.Actually that one of the few things that can become expensive in thailand and thats education.

i begin get excited coming over to Chiang Mai..

I am looking in Chiang Mai for a somewhat laid back international school.so not only study the whole day ,but also plenty of sports ,art ,dancing umm creatvity...and not to long school days,enough play time during the day etc etc..which int is the most laid back that what i look for..its a pitty there is not yet a int montessori school in chiang mai otherwise i would have select that one.

Edited by flakes

I saw some houses in world club village and yes the houses look really taste full ,so these parcs do they have some facilities such as a restaurant clubhouse and communual pool normally ?

Many do, yes. But not all of them. Typically there's a yearly subscription to use the pool / gym facilities, but it's not usually a lot of money. Under 1000 baht per year.

Life in Chiang Mai is good (unless you like to play music occasionally and don't have a work permit) ;)

And that happened to you?

Were you able to buy your way out of it?

How the traffic in Chiang mai? last time i was there was 8 years ago..Thought it was fine then...

its not like Bangkok right?

Heheheeh funny your comments ...I have to say that i am a single daddy so i only live together with my son (he is loek krung however) His thai mom is living with her bf in europe.

I have been living in Phuket and in pattaya and in both those cities the international schools had 3 terms a year however prices for those schools were also arround the 175.000 to 220.000 a year .so no big difference wether to pay that amount in 3 or in 2 terms the overall cost still remain the same.Actually that one of the few things that can become expensive in thailand and thats education.

I am looking in Chiang Mai for a somewhat laid back international school.so not only study the whole day ,but also plenty of sports ,art ,dancing umm creatvity...and not to long school days,enough play time during the day etc etc..which int is the most laid back that what i look for..its a pitty there is not yet a int montessori school in chiang mai otherwise i would have select that one.

Flakes: spoke with a British parent today and she clued me in to the 3 term concept, which was exactly the way you explained it... sorry for showing my cultural ignorance on that one.

Life in Chiang Mai is good (unless you like to play music occasionally and don't have a work permit) ;)

And that happened to you?

Were you able to buy your way out of it?

How the traffic in Chiang mai? last time i was there was 8 years ago..Thought it was fine then...

its not like Bangkok right?

It refers to a recent issue where immigration arrested several foreigners for playing or jamming in local bars. The jury is still out on the consequences.

I don't know about Lanna, but Varee does a lot of performances and their Annual Performance at Kad Suan Kaew theatre and Sports Day are amazing events. They have a very active Photo Club and the son of the founder makes very good movies - there are a lot on You Tube. Here's Sports Day 2010 and my stills from an Annual Performance.

Traffic? Worse by the year but better than Bangkok by a mile.

Ok you are forgiven :)

Flakes: spoke with a British parent today and she clued me in to the 3 term concept, which was exactly the way you explained it... sorry for showing my cultural ignorance on that one.

Why not just home school? It would save a lot and then you could educate him exactly the way that you want. There are also lots of classes and things that he can join to build up the social bonding that is important. Chess clubs, Thai chess, sports teams, swimming lessons. I know of a few that home-school their kids and I find that their education is at par with any international school and is close to the standard of education in their home countries.

Based on all the great help i received from this forum i will atleast make sure to vist the folowing schools in Chiang mai

the Chiang mai international school CMIS

Lanna int school

Nakorn payap int school

American pacific Int school

Panyaden School

The PTIS is above my budget so i wont visit it.

Only the Lanna school follows the britisch curriculum that is nice ,but the school might be more serious then we like it to be...(My son only 7 years young amd so i like him happy not to serious always)

So i plan visit these schools and see which one comes out the nearest our expectations

The Panyaden school i think its too laid back (freaky) and its not an international school but still i like give them a fair chanche aswell.

If anyone has any comments about this list i be happy to read them..

Villages arround the south of Chiang mai seem to be a central location?

Ok you are forgiven :)

Yes i like home school too but i do think my son needs to be alot arround other kids..I might have him participate in a home school with other kids but then again why just not have him go to a school which has all facilities and other students right there..I mean there are decent schools in CM so why not select one of them ? ok home schooling might be less esxpensive,but will it be more satisfying for my son ..?

Why not just home school? It would save a lot and then you could educate him exactly the way that you want. There are also lots of classes and things that he can join to build up the social bonding that is important. Chess clubs, Thai chess, sports teams, swimming lessons. I know of a few that home-school their kids and I find that their education is at par with any international school and is close to the standard of education in their home countries.

Flakes

Don't go down the "home school" approach. Yes it will save you some money, but heck you could have saved, and will have saved a fortune if you never had kids in the first place. You could home-dentistry your kids, home-doctor your kids etc etc. Bringing up kids is not cheap; never has, never will.

Sadly home-schooling kids really took off in the US when schools were desegregated as parents were too terrified that their kids might have to share a classroom with "different" kids.

In CM the typical mix in most of the international schools is roughly 25% western/Thai, 10-15% Thai, 10-15% Korean, and the remaining % is made up of Japanese, US, UK and all other nationalities.

There is so much more to school than just the home-schooling approach via books, online etc. After school clubs don't cut it as your kid would always be the outsider wheeled out when daddy says so.

Don't fall for the "save a few bucks" approach, that will only be for your benefit, not your kids.

As for the "you could educate him exactly the way that you want" line that is truly terrifying. Teaching, believe it or not, is a profession, and while many people played doctors, nurses, firefighters, soldiers cops etc when they were kids, most people grow up and wise up that these are professional jobs that cannot be done for real by amateurs.

• Like 1

Lanna International

Varee International

VCS English Programme

Addition to the (always) great advice and information provided by Greenside, for house rental you might like to have a look at the Urbana Village which is just 10 minutes drive to Varee. Urbana Village is very new and some items not quite finished (e.g swimming pool is in progress and will probably be finished with 30 / 45 days), but already there are quite a few signs on houses looking for tenants. Worth a drive around.

Dear Cm Residents,

Thanks your help for school and houses..

I pretty sure there are some nice and good schools in CM..

I will not go for private scholing simply because we concluded a real school simply offers more experiences to the child and i like him to get lots of experiences.

A next issue is that i read some rather disturbing articles on the internet about the air polution in Cm? ( people burning carbage)

How bad is it? You the residents with kids you can tell me about it ? seems the air in bangkok is more clean OMG...

can we escape it during the school holidays also for international schools?

any signs that covernment is actually is doing something against persons burning carbage?

not mainly caused by people burning garbage... it is the seasonal burn off of the fields, which occurs throughout SEAsia. We have only been here two years and this year, there was none to speak of, due to mild winds and early rains. Last year, it was a bit more noticeable, but nothing that got me worried, for myself or my child.

At CMIS they have an air quality sign above the entrance and according to strict procedures, depending on the pollution, they moderate school activities appropriately. At most school websites you can see their calendar and inform yourself of their vacation times... not much in way of vacation in February/March, which is when the air quality suffers the most.

One good school not mentioned is Montfort College--while not an "international" school it's English and science and math students in the English Program are always at the top of the academic competitions with the international schools. It has an excellent academic reputation and its feeder universities in the US are the University of Michigan and Yale.

not mainly caused by people burning garbage... it is the seasonal burn off of the fields, which occurs throughout SEAsia. We have only been here two years and this year, there was none to speak of, due to mild winds and early rains. Last year, it was a bit more noticeable, but nothing that got me worried, for myself or my child.

At CMIS they have an air quality sign above the entrance and according to strict procedures, depending on the pollution, they moderate school activities appropriately. At most school websites you can see their calendar and inform yourself of their vacation times... not much in way of vacation in February/March, which is when the air quality suffers the most.

Off topic reply, but I once did a project in NW Iowa. Every September, after harvesting their corn, the farmers till the fields with the stalks & root systems in place. The next growing season they just re-till the fields, fertilize and plant. They no longer burn in NW Iowa.

When asked, a farmer told me that the tilled stalks were like mulch so their actual fertilizer usage dropped and the fields yield went up.

Now this was corn, do the rice stalks add no nutritional value like corn stalks or do the rice farmers burn the fields because that is the way it has been done for centuries?

• 9 years later...

I was trying to find newer threads on international schools but was not able to. maybe i did not search enough  but just curious to know what is the latest consensus about schools in Chiang mai. My son has just been enrolled into Montfort school English Program but was enquiring about Lanna International school as he is keen in doing A-levels next year. I have spoken to a couple people i recently met who actually had kids taken off from Lanna saying that the standard of education has dropped. Does anyone here have any opinions to add to this mainly about Lanna and Monfort college. Also just read Greenside mention that Varee has a British curriculum program  but this was mentioned 9 years ago in this thread. Any info to this would also be appreciated.