Japanese Tourist Shot Dead In Chiang Rai By Thai Tour Guide

webfact

Well the "Nation" dispelled the rumor that the deceased was the leader of the 3rd largest Yakuza gang. When I read that I laughed. No way no how would the leader of Inagawa -kai, Kazuo Uchibori be in this situation. As the Nation article implies and I agree this was a low level Yakuza thug who most likely is on the lam from a screw up back in Japan. In Thailand he continues to do what he knows best, illegal activities.

I'm currently in Chiang Rai and after just a week of speaking to people it's very apparent what's going on up here in them jungles. Although from what I hear nothing like this ever happens. Too much at stake. As one said they were in a village known for drugs. I've personally been on too many treks to count in Thailand, Burma and Laos some in the heart of the mule routes and NEVER have my guides carried a gun.

What exactly happened, who shot who first I don't think we will ever know (doubt the still living Yakuza member will be talking much), but one thing is for sure these were no tourists and this was no guided tour to see the sights.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who has a bit understanding of 'Thainess' has to understand that … I mean: what else could the 'jai dee' Thai tourist guide do than to shoot his customer if this 'kinook' tourist complains all the time?!?

After all, he has to be happy that he was allowed to enter the great country of Thailand and spend his money in it, although I have a hunch he didn't spend enough because he is so 'kinyaou'. I am not even sure if he accepted to officially pay 5 times the price Thais have to pay to be allowed to cross entrance of the area, did he at least have 'face' enough to swallow that without complaining??

All in all, another great promotion of the friendliness and warmth tourists are greeted with in Thailand and by Thais in the tourist business. Behave, swallow and pay - then you get a nice wai. Complain, criticize or negotiate too hard - you might get a punch in your face, have to pay an enourmous amount of money to pay someone off or might even get shot.

I bet you live in Thailand. coffee1.gif & you can even teach Thai. Awesome stuff.

This news was all over Japanese media since yesterday, but none of it said the victim was a yakuza.

They had guns on them and 6,841.35€ in cash. This Takushi guy is also meant to be the leader of the third largest 'gang' in Japan according to the article.

I wonder what their real reason was for going into the Jungle.

If what's said in the article he should be released without charge as it's a case of self defence.

Just a couple of Japanese tourists who want to go trekking,but first of all lets buy a gun,oh and we take a heap of money with us.Now we are late for our rendevous and i am pretty angry---think i will kill this useless tour guide-------then what?

Thinks me---the tour guide did the right thing----get the first shot in------safer that way--------and you get to tell your story---------simple explanation really-------what else in the news?

Some people on this forum who are known Thai bashers need to retain what they read. The tourist guide acted in self defense, and it is fairly obvious that this was a drug by and that the tour guide was guiding them to the goods and was late pissing off the Gangster who probably is use to giving people sh*t being the leader and all. A person could write a book. I love it here

How does anyone know that their Tour Guide does or doesn't carry a Gun ?

My uncle is a School Teacher and he brought his gun to me last year for safe keeping as he was going to be away for a few days.

It was certainly a <deleted> moment. What was he scared off ? I don't know. He needs a Gun just as much as a Tour Guide. ? I think not.

If a Tour Guide just happens to have a gun, then he just might take it into the mountains with him. lets not forget that it was bandit country not so long ago, probably still is. he's still unlikely to show it to his punters, unless they piss him off

So, some heated discussion and some scary Jap Tourist AKA Thug, starts waving a gun at said Guide and bedlam ensues.

Lots of Gun incidents here in Thailand. Mostly Thai on Thai ofcourse.

I think the Guide is probably telling the truth. Sad but True :(

Edited by jubby

Two things. I guess on a day tour/trek you really wouldn't know if your guide had a gun, but if you go on 2+ day trek it would be very difficult to hide a gun. You are bathing, sleeping, eating in very close proximity with each other.

Second, a Yakuza in exile in another country happens all the time. Especially in a country like Thailand which wouldn't know who's entering. Also most likely the Japan government know their whereabouts. I personally have a friend where I used to live (very nice guy) who is one such person in exile. He has been there for over 15 years w/o VISA. Missing pinky finger and all. I would suspect that the living Yakuza is very nervous because if they are over here in exile their suppose to be keeping a very low profile. :unsure:

This news was all over Japanese media since yesterday, but none of it said the victim was a yakuza.

Do you really think that media statements, which are bought by criminal syndicates telling the truth that a victim is a member of a criminal syndicate? God will help you to keep your naivety.

Certainly gang members dont carry a membership card as to prove they belong to a Yakusa club.

On the other hand, should enough to be a Japanese , adorned with tatoos, taking a trek , to PROVE that he is a YAKUSA ? Of course then, it sounds better when you shoot him dead.

Besides this, I have a question that the Japanese are reported carrying guns. Ha... Do you mean they brought in guns from Japan, fooling the security systems at the airports ?

Do you mean they were provided guns WITHIN Thailand by Thai nationals ?

What's about the Vigilante Guide, who knowing they were carrying guns, did not report to the Police ?

Seems we are in a THAI NOVEL, often confused with journalism...

What is constant is: if you are not pleased with the service provided to you as a tourist, by a Thai company, should it be a trek, a hotel booking, a car rental, a jetski rental, YOU, FOREIGNER, GOTTA SMILE, PAY IT OFF, AND SHUT UP, as your life is at RISK.

Back to your country, use the Internet to build blogs, report on Facebook and so on, for this attitude to be known better, and tourists to choose destinations, where they will be respected...

i like this 1 ""The suspect said he had to carry a gun to protect tourists," Adis said."

what did he have to protect them from ? himself :cheesy::cheesy:

so who is going to carry a gun to protect the tourists from him?

also is complaining enough of a reason to get shot. can u only say nice things to some people or they shoot u. :Dave:

"The suspect said he had to carry a gun to protect tourists."

Love that one.

LEGAL question please: is the guide ENTITLED, YES or NOT to carry a gun ?

When he'd carry a gun, chances are he'll use it someday... Easier to use than a knife or a bow, indeed...

legal question is. Even if u carry a gun to protect tourists . Are u alloud to shoot yr customers. i mean he could have shot them in the legs if they were really a threat.

Anyway from what he confessed to doing was shooting tourists because they were comlaining. i don't know how that can be self defense.

Even if they swore at the tourist guide. he could have just driven off and left them in the jungle and cssall the police to pick them up.

Even gangsters take a holiday they might have been having a break from crime but kept their criminal attidudes with them.

How can people say that this is obviuosly this or this is obviuosly that.

obviuosly assumption could mean that people could make up anything.

not bad for people to write about what happened when they were not even there

i like this 1 ""The suspect said he had to carry a gun to protect tourists," Adis said."

what did he have to protect them from ? himself :cheesy::cheesy:

so who is going to carry a gun to protect the tourists from him?

also is complaining enough of a reason to get shot. can u only say nice things to some people or they shoot u. :Dave:

Did you read any of the articles?

Notes to self:

Don't go on hill treks in Thailand -- they're so dangerous that the guides have to carry a gun to protect their customers. Besides, if I happen to complain and the guide doesn't like that, he'll probably shoot me.

Also, never forget that Thais can kill foreigners without any real investigation or consequences.

Edited by Wavefloater

They had guns on them and $10,000 in cash. This Takushi guy is also meant to be the leader of the third largest 'gang' in Japan according to the article.

If what's said in the article he should be released without charge as it's a case of self defence.

DRUGS :jap:

This man is a HERO. for all you complainers, yes tour guides who go into dangerous areas do carry guns to protect themselves and their guests.

Consider this... If the Japanese "tourists" had made the contact in the jungle (near the border) do you think the tour guide would have made it out if he had noticed anything odd?

Shooting this prick early on probably saved his life. I hope he has a good lawyer lined up and the government is prepared to put him on the Thai witness protection scheme.

:rolleyes:

Nice one...he sure picked the wrong guy to murder.

Was the guide registered? probably not and there are plenty more like him who buy an "official guide" badge and ID and set off on their merry ways to cause mayhem.

What often amazes me with serious crime in Thailand is that the perpetrators don't give a thought to the years they will spend in a hell hole. Seems this is no deterrent for them.

You forgot to mention the gun licenselaugh.gif

There is something very fishy about this story . The Thai tourist guide that I have known for many years , as I said before in my other post , WAS a good man. I am as shocked as some of my Thai friends who also know him. It just goes to show that you never know who you are dealing with in this country and that goes for the foreigners living here are as dangerous.

Sounds more like all involved knew what they were doing and for what.

Then something went wrong, possibly with the meeting place and time, or a set up by the Tour Guide who never intended to supply the contact or goods.

I would not count the Tour Guide as an innocent player in all this. Sounds kind of odd that a victim was shot in the back. It is possible if the victim was retreating for cover with a gun.

What about the victims gun or guns? Was it the 9 mm in the back pack, or another gun somewhere ?

The shot out Jeep tires a few hundred meters from the shootout. Very fishy.

Possibly the other japanese tourist escaped at first. Ran to the Jeep, shot out the tires, and was attempting to ambush the tour guide when he was shot.

Just a possible scenareo.

We never know the private lives of even our best friends and aquaintences until something like this happens.

The $10K can possibly be explained by them being Japanese.

Japanese will, like Germans, carry large amounts of cash rather than use a credit card.

(credit cards aren't as readily used in Japan... which is why Japanese banks have high daily ATM limits. I remember when Citibank in Japan had a DAILY limit for withdrawals from ATMs of US$15K.)

What a post. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!:jap:

Sounds more like all involved knew what they were doing and for what.

Then something went wrong, possibly with the meeting place and time, or a set up by the Tour Guide who never intended to supply the contact or goods.

I would not count the Tour Guide as an innocent player in all this. Sounds kind of odd that a victim was shot in the back. It is possible if the victim was retreating for cover with a gun.

What about the victims gun or guns? Was it the 9 mm in the back pack, or another gun somewhere ?

The shot out Jeep tires a few hundred meters from the shootout. Very fishy.

Possibly the other japanese tourist escaped at first. Ran to the Jeep, shot out the tires, and was attempting to ambush the tour guide when he was shot.

Just a possible scenareo.

We never know the private lives of even our best friends and aquaintences until something like this happens.

Dr. Watson, you might be wrong.......................:jap:

They had guns on them and $10,000 in cash. This Takushi guy is also meant to be the leader of the third largest 'gang' in Japan according to the article.

DRUGS :jap:

H. from Myanmar?:jap:

Well it wouldn't be would it? considering the Japanese media is influenced (controlled) by "them" :blink:

Not just controlled by them. They own most of them.:jap:

There used to be lots of opium on the hills of Chiang Rai.Do I have personal information about this - Yes! Used to see them back in the year 2000. That was 11 years ago - BT (before Taksin). Since then most of the opium came from across the border. Saw opium plant again only once (around 3 years ago) on the hands of someone in uniform near Doi Wawi. I doubt there is a lot of opium being grown in that area now. Besides, it seems to be rather out of the way of transhipment points (i.e. between Myanmar and Thailand).

One word comes to mind... opium. Lots of it.

Doubtful any of them were just out for a morning stroll Guiding and trecking Akha Hill. With Guns and money on hand. then ooops... Gun play occurs over heated words.. doubtful.

They would not have needed a tour guide if they knew where to go. They might use him if the guide had done this for them before or if they had arranged it thru the guide.

I may be wrong in my opinion, but then lots of speculation by all with all the Holes in this story.

One thing is for certain, they went together, a disagreement and violence erupted and one was killed, another wounded, and the tour guide unhurt with his story of what happened.

The truth is somewhere there in the middle of the explinations and the evidence.

According to the latest reports, even the BIB think there is something left out of this story. That tells us volumes if even the BIB thinks the guides story is not truthful.

There is a reason why trekking companies are required to register with the tourist police. Most of the tour companies that I know don't. Only one tour company does this regularly. Trekking tour guides would probably not think about doing something that stupid if he knew his name registered. My guess is that the tour was not made through a tour company. The trip to the hills was a private business agreement between the guide and the deceased.

Your comment is overblown. This was NOT A NORMAL tour.

Notes to self:

Don't go on hill treks in Thailand -- they're so dangerous that the guides have to carry a gun to protect their customers. Besides, if I happen to complain and the guide doesn't like that, he'll probably shoot me.

Also, never forget that Thais can kill foreigners without any real investigation or consequences.

I heard the tourist guides was supposed to be the manager or was at least employed at a very popular stop near the new clock tower. That coffe shop where he works is supposed to be owned by someone from Bkk - someone with serious money. So it surprises me why he would be going out on tours? Was he moonlighting as a tour guide while being employed by the coffee shop?

Just been to Topps. Whilst in the proximity of the fish counter I overheard an oriental bird (strong possibility of some Japanese bloodlines) enquiring about puffer fish. This pricked my ears immediately and as I studied her more closely I noticed a Hello Kitty tattoo on her left shoulder. Quick as a flash I got out my "Tesco bag for life" hooded her with it and double tapped her on the spot.

Job done.

The Yakuzas walk amongst us - stay alert,protect and serve.

Perhaps if the tour guide had been on time instead of 1 hour late, this shooting would not have occurred.

I'm sure we have all been angry on many occasions due to the Thais lack of time-keeping.

Quite simple. Thai time, lucky he turned up the same day. Mia-bpen-rai!

jb1

Perhaps if the tour guide had been on time instead of 1 hour late, this shooting would not have occurred.

I'm sure we have all been angry on many occasions due to the Thais lack of time-keeping.

Quite simple. Thai time, lucky he turned up the same day. Mia-bpen-rai!

jb1

sure.... that was nothing to do with timekeeping...

a witness said there were 3 Japaneses on the Jeep.............. the articles from Pattaya and AFP didn't even quote....

and the cop didn't believe him the whole story reported.... the dead man was a leader in Yakuza Gang....

the reason of goin' to the jungle near Myanmar border ...... illegal drug trade...(still mystery)

Edited by dunkin2012

Some of you guys should be writers with the way your minds work over time to conjuror a story that makes the Thai guy at fault with out much knowledge of what happened except the newspaper story. Which many of you donot even read.

Cheap enertainment