My Thailand And Why I Love It.

IanForbes

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even thought of it. My book is about Vancouver ... Yes and as I mentioned a few pages back every one of those pictures is linked to and image downloaded from(approx.):

gallery.fishbc.com/IANF

which is your Vancouver fishing website gallery -- must have had about 40,000 links to your website since you started this TV topic ... and boy don't the spiders love that when 'BC' comes up... as anyone who did a right-click on any every your photos would see... maybe not Lady Gaga quantity links but a lot better than those looking for fish in BC.

BTW in the trade it is called 'SEO' or 'Search Engine Optimization' ...

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few reservoirs that are within a few hours drive from Chiang Mai, and others that take the better part of a day to get there. Sirikut reservoir is about a 5 hour drive to the south east of Chiang Mai and it is huge with several access points. We usually plan a 2 or 3 day stay when going to Sirikut and we sleep in tents we pitch on floating bamboo cottages anchored around the lake. The lake rises and falls about 10 meters over the course of a year, and the locals who live on these floating barges move them to adjust to the season. The locals make a living off fishing in the reservoir and there are nets everywhere. There is no thought of conservation and everything caught by any method gets eaten. On the bigger reservoirs a substantial boat is needed to get anywhere. We usually fish the quiet bays just outside the main lake and cast our lures to the brush covered shore. Giant snakeheads and the larger Jungle perch usually hold in the shallows next to points of land and around submerged islands. The best fishing is usually at dawn and the last few hours of evening. There can be some remarkable sunsets.

Sunset_3.jpg

Sunset_1.jpg

Ian_playing_snakehead_2.jpg

We cast our our lures or flies and retrieve them as fast as possible. Giant snakeheads are very fast and it's impossible to take away a lure if the snakehead wants it

The cast and retrieve

The_retrieve_2.jpg

And the vicious strike...

The_strike_2.jpg

Snakehead_on_fly_1.jpg

Sometimes it is a small one...

Ian_with_snakehead.jpg

And sometimes it is a bigger one...

Harry_with_Snakehead_2.jpg

And sometimes it is a very big one

Giant_snakehead_Em_2.jpg

In any case we have had a good day when we return to our floating lodge and settle down to a great meal prepared in the floating village and brought to us.

Sirikut_floating_lodge_7.jpg

Group_meal_2.jpg

Sirikut_floating_lodge_2.jpg

Doesn't bother me ... just keep on posting them pictures every one with your URL linked... of course somewhere I read that you are

Not to post ... URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site.

One of the prettier reservoirs is about an hour and a half north of Chiang Mai. Mae Ngat is separated into two sections with a scenic, narrow passage between them. There are both snakeheads and jungle perch but it's not easy fishing unless the fish are really feeding. There are floating lodges part way down the lake that are rented to holidayers up from Chiang Mai.

Northern_Thai_lake_12.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_13.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_11.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_10.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_3.jpg

Mae_Ngat_010.jpg

Noland_at_Mae_Ngat.jpg

Mae_Ngat_011.jpg

Jungle_perch_2.jpg

Harry_with_Jungle_perch.sized.jpg

I was thinking of retiring to either Pattya or Chiang Mai. in another year or two. I like Chiang Mai because it is cooler than Pattya, but I confess that I do enjoy the bar scene in Pattya. I am sure that gets old fast. I was interested in your comment about having the best of both worlds, i.e. part of the year in your home country and part in Thailand. I had thought about doing the same, but I wonder about the complications, if any....

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even thought of it. My book is about Vancouver ... Yes and as I mentioned a few pages back every one of those pictures is linked to and image downloaded from(approx.):

gallery.fishbc.com/IANF

which is your Vancouver fishing website gallery -- must have had about 40,000 links to your website since you started this TV topic ... and boy don't the spiders love that when 'BC' comes up... as anyone who did a right-click on any every your photos would see... maybe not Lady Gaga quantity links but a lot better than those looking for fish in BC.

BTW in the trade it is called 'SEO' or 'Search Engine Optimization' ...

good lord man give it a rest.

Ian, good thread.

Edited by nocturn

What an excellent thread and some lovely pictures Ian, many thanks.

We have been to Chang Mai on several occasions over the years and have always enjoyed it but don't know it as well as Bangkok or Phuket, looks like we're going to have to spend some more time there.

Regards, Spiritman

7-11 stores ARE a strange phenomena in Thailand. They pop up everywhere and seem to be on every street. We are even starting to use them as landmarks... such as "Go down two blocks to the first 7-11 you see on your right, and then turn left at the next corner and go 4 blocks until you come to the next 7-11, on your left, and the NoName pub is just across the street and three shops down." :D

The 7-11 located near my hotel in Chiang Mai IS handy, but it sure blocks traffic at that corner since it went in a year ago. People park on the busy, but narrow road, to shop in the 7-11 and it blocks traffic for 200 meters during rush hour.

It's 3AM here in The Kingdom but 1PM on a lovely day in the wilds of Vancouver Island and you are at your silly computer -- is it because it is Sunday and you give the fiish a day off?

Yah, it's a nice day here right now but I'm working on some drawings and using the computer as my source of photos. I seldom fish on weekends any more unless I'm forced to. I leave the river to the guys who only have weekends off. But, I've noticed all those pretty yellow flowers (Dandelions) popping up in my lawn and think I better go outside with the mower and weed eater. :D

Besides, my neighbour is cutting our adjoining lawn and I don't want him to show me up for the slackard that I am. :lol:

So you now have to avoid the weekend anglers ... I guess the wilds of V.Island ain't so wild anymore ... BTW there is an article in the NY Times today on your darling snake-dead fish entitled

A Delicacy on Chinatown Plates, but a Killer in Water

http://www.nytimes.c...d-a-threat.html

BTW2 I am involved on a near daily basis with the world-wide publishing industry on the business/legal side however -- not the editorial side -- which accounts for my oft-times jaundiced view of authors would-be or otherwise.

Edited by jazzbo

So you now have to avoid the weekend anglers ... I guess the wilds of V.Island ain't so wild anymore ... BTW there is an article in the NY Times today on your darling snake-dead fish entitled

A Delicacy on Chinatown Plates, but a Killer in Water

http://www.nytimes.c...d-a-threat.html

BTW2 I am involved on a near daily basis with the world-wide publishing industry on the business/legal side however -- not the editorial side -- which accounts for my oft-times jaundiced view of authors would-be or otherwise.

Yes, the import of foreign species into other countries is a real problem globally. Some species are very invasive and cause major problems. The European starling changed all of North America and displaced native song birds.. Unfortunately, Thailand does not seem to have any restrictions on the import of foreign species. Many foreign fish species have habitualized in Thailand ponds and rivers. Some species are invasive and others just seem to live in harmony. We have all sorts of controvery in BC about the fish farms.

And, I am well aware of the norhern snakehead having been introduced into the north eastern USA waters. They are also having a problem with a large carp species. But, the northern snakehead is not the same critter as the Giant snakehead and it's not as good a sport fish. They ARE good eating, though, but we release ours..

Edited by IanForbes

I had hesitated to check this thread, thinking it was likely to be a thread about Ian's extracurricular activities (I am not talking about fishing and photography), of which we all know so much. However, reading one of Ian's responses to a baiting by another poster on another thread perked my interest and I am happy I took the time to visit. Really nice thread. I will definitely pop back from time to time.

The Ping, like most large rivers in Thailand, has been dammed, and backs up water into the mountain valleys for hundreds of kilometers. The waterway is long and narrow and only widens in a few places: Mae Tup reservoir at the north and Bhumibol reservoir in the south. Much of the reservoir is remote, and parts are contained within National Parks. Bhumibol dam on the Ping River is near the town of Sam Ngao, about 175 kilometers south of Chiang Mai as a crow flies, but much further by vehicle. Access is limited to only a few places. For wilderness exploring by boat it is a marvelous destination. LIke most reservoirs in Thailand there are people who live there year-round in floating lodges built on bamboo. They squeaze out a living by fishing the reservoir with nets, and raising a few animals wherever they can find a bit of level land. I've only been to the reservoirs twice, but I've enjoyed both trips for the scenic topography, and the wildlife and fishing.

Ping_boat_launch_1.jpg

Ping_boat_launch_3.jpg

Ziggy_with_Thai_guide.jpg

Heading_up_lake.jpg

There are many interesting limestone formations formed by dripping water..

Ping_Reservoir_2.jpg

Ping_Reservoir_5.sized.jpg

When we visited there were lots of fires in the hills above.

Fire_in_the_hills_3.jpg

There were monkeys chattering at us in the trees and lots of bird life you don't see near urban centers.

Ping_Reservoir_11.sized.jpg

Kingfisher_1.sized.jpg

Ping_hawk_1.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

We were there mostly to fish and had a bit of luck, but not up to what we were expecting. But, that might have been just bad timing or picking the wrong spot. It certainly was beautiful though.

Ping_Reservoir_4.jpg

Ping_reservoir.jpg

Tommy_fishing_1.jpg

And Tommy gets stuck into a big snakehead that was determined to snag her in the submerged trees.

Tommy_into_big_snakehead.jpg

Snakehead_at_net_001.jpg

And her husband, Siggy, hooks up with a big Jungle perch that we kept for supper.

Ziggys_into_Jungle_perch.jpg

Ziggys_Jungle_perch.sized.jpg

Ping_Reservoir_1.jpg

Hello Platinum

Thank you for the series of nice picture. One can easily see how lovely the nature around Thailand is. I'll still need to work for about four years until my retirement. It's more than certain for me to spend the cold and rainy Swiss winter months in Chiang Mai then. Could you post some more information about the Thai Hotel you're living?

Kind regards and pleasant time in Chiang Mai

Pekka Mai

I first came to Thailand in 1996 at the suggestion of a Canadian friend who went there every year. I had recently divorced from my wife who I loved and I was pretty shaken up, both financially and emotionally. Ken met me in Bangkok and after a night there we travelled south by bus to Pattaya. I had heard all the stories but I was not prepared for what I saw. Ken had to babysit me for a few weeks just so I wouldn't make too many mistakes. And, there certainly were a lot I could have made. What I wasn't prepared for was all the action on a 24 hour basis. I like to walk and there is lots to see for a new-comer to Pattaya. The two kilometre beach walk of central Pattaya was as good a place to start as any. Visually, it is stunningly beautiful, but I quickly learned the water is quite polluted. That doesn't stop the many tourists from parking themselves on folding chairs under umbrellas.

Pattaya_beach_2.jpg

BRAD_at_beach.sized.jpg

And there were friendly girls from every nation. What I did notice is very few of the Thai women wore bathing suits. They all wore shorts or jeans and shirts... even if they went in the water.

Jomptien_beach_gals_2.sized.jpg

The downtown core off second avenue was a beehive of activity for 24 hours a day...

Pattaya_street_scene.jpg

And there was construction everywhere.

Thai_construction.sized.jpg

Pattaya_street_4.jpg

There was and still is a wide variety of accommodation... from 200 baht a night sleeper rooms to 5000 baht a day, ocean front resorts.

Marriot_hotel.jpg

Jomptien_highrise.jpg

Jomptien_apartments_1.jpg

And behind the many hotels are where the Thai workers live in a form of squallor

Jomptien_tin_shacks_001.jpg

And over the hill and down to Jomptien is another part of Pattaya that is slightly different. The beach is a bit nicer and not so crowded, and the bar scene is a bit tamer and not so "in your face". It seems to be the direction that new hotels and condos are moving in. It is also the area where I made a financial mistake. I was suckered into buying a week's timeshare in Jomptien. I can't say I didn't use it, because I did. And I can't say it wasn't nice, because it was. But, for the 7500 baht weekly maintenance cost I could have had a pretty nice room in another hotel without the initial 180,000 baht investment. The only thing that I thought would make it worthwhile was the exchange program to nice hotels around the world. As I later found out, you seldom get what you ask for and you have to book 2 years in advance. When I made 3 separate exchanges within Thailand I wound up 30 kilometres out of town in the sticks somewhere. The only exchange that worked in my favour was one in Phuket... but that was removed as an option the following year. And trying to sell a time share for any amount of money is almost impossible. I eventually just took my loss and let it lapse. I'm still getting letters from them asking me to reconsider if I pay the back maintenance fees. Sorry, not interested.

Jomptien beach is a nice place to relax though if you are with friends.

Jomptien_beach_umbrellas.jpg

Jomptien_beach_volleyball.jpg

And the view is pretty nice from just off shore.

Jomptien_beach.jpg

And it's not entirely deserted

Jomptien_beach_bikes.jpg

Jomptien_beach_boats.jpg

And something I always recommend to everyone is a trip up to the top of Jomptien tower. You can take the elevator up 50 + flights or a sky train. The view from the top is spectacular and there is a lovely water park just below.

Jomptien_Tower_1.sized.jpg

Jomptien_Tower_9.jpg

Jomptien_Tower_8.jpg

You can take the same route down or the quick way... hanging from a harness

Jomptien_Tower_4.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

I'm always surprised at the number of people who visit Pattaya on a regular basis who have never been to Koh Larn island. (Koh actually means island). Koh Larn is a little gem of an island if you like clean beaches, clear water and easy access... at little cost. I first visited Koh Larn in 1996 on my first trip to Pattaya. The beaches of Pattaya were just as polluted then as they are today, and the water is still murky. They are okay for sitting by the water and splashing your legs, but that's about all. And, if you do swim you could be run over by one of the many jetskiis flying around. 15 years ago there was an old, dilapidated dock that serviced the ferries going to Koh Larn on a regular basis. Kids would fish off the dock and there was always a series of speed boats running off the beach. Tickets were sold from a little office at the south end of central Pattaya beach. Eventually, it was all moved to the far end of waling street and a more modern dock was built, along with a proper office and waiting lounge. The strange thing is that the price of tickets haven't gone up. It's still 20 baht for a 40 minute ride to the island... and another 20 baht for the ride back. Can't beat a deal like that..

Koh_Larn_trip_4.jpg

Koh_Larn_trip_1.jpg

Koh_Larn_trip_3.jpg

People who want more of a personal trip will hire a speed boat for about 1000 baht or more for the day. But, I've never felt it was necessary unless you wanted a circle tour of the island..

Koh_Larn_trip_17.sized.jpg

Beach chairs and umbrellas are for rent at every beach.

Koh_Larn_trip_7.jpg

I've always found the best snorkling is off the many rocky points where most of the fish hang out. I bring corn on the cob to feed the fish and make them come to me.

Ian_at_Koh_Larn_1.jpg

Koh Larn island can just be seen in the distance from the top of the Jomptien tower

Jomptien_Tower_9.jpg

Unfortunately those wonderful big fish have been pretty much fished out of existence. I speak as a diver that used to see big fish, leopard sharks etc. a few years ago, whilst nowadays they're pretty rare.

Ian is right, Thailand is a wonderful place to live - the scenery, weather etc. are still here. As long as you are able to deal with the other side (and many can't), its a great place to live.

Very cool pics, Ian. You really are living the life.....

Yes. He's v happy....

No matter, at least Ian posts telling everyone how happy he is.

And why would he not be happy.

He divides his time between two countries, both very different and each beautiful in its own way.

He has a lot of friends in Thailand and presumably in Canada and enjoys life to the full.

He is a few years older than me and I would hope that when I reach his age I can do half the things he does.

I am also happy where I live in Khampaeng Phet province.

I have my wife and 6 year old son, and if I want to take a day or three out on my motorbike my wife tells me that I have worked for 50 years and go enjoy myself. My son gives me a love and kiss and says he will see me later.

It is easy to relax and enjoy yourself in Thailand.