Carrying Pocket Knives

The Coder

What is the legality of carrying a pocket knife around in Thailand? I've carried a small, simple folding one for 20 years just because it is handy to have around. For what it is worth I have numerous experiences getting caught with one in Thailand. On one hand if airport security detects it, they simply security check it and it's no big deal domestic or international. I now put it in a checked bag to avoid this. On the other hand the BKK police at checkpoints that do late night pat downs get very upset to come across it and have even threatened to throw me in the slammer before handing it back. Given they sell all sorts of knives and switch blades at night markets I just assumed they were ok to have. So what's the deal?

For pocket knives, I think it's the same here as in the States. A simple, folding knife with a blade under 4" that's sharp on only one edge should be fine. Switchblades, fix bladed knives and really big pocket knives may get you into trouble if the wrong person sees them.

Why do you need to carry a knife with you anyway? Seems a pretty dumb thing to do if you ask me.

I also travel with a knife, which is a handy thing to have, but I leave it in my room therefore avoiding getting into any situation. Maybe you could try the same.

As for the legality of carrying a knife, I would have thought that the police reaction when they have found your knife in the past may have given you a clue............?

What is the legality of carrying a pocket knife around in Thailand? I've carried a small, simple folding one for 20 years just because it is handy to have around. For what it is worth I have numerous experiences getting caught with one in Thailand. On one hand if airport security detects it, they simply security check it and it's no big deal domestic or international. I now put it in a checked bag to avoid this.

I always carry a small knife, blade length 4 cm, in my trousers and have never been checked in Thailand, but I have learnt to put it in my checked luggage when flying. At some airports they confiscate even these small pen knives.

On the other hand the BKK police at checkpoints that do late night pat downs get very upset to come across it and have even threatened to throw me in the slammer before handing it back. Given they sell all sorts of knives and switch blades at night markets I just assumed they were ok to have. So what's the deal?

Perhaps the policeman at the checkpoint liked your knife. When faced with the situation you describe I would give the officer my knife as a present and later get a new one for myself. (I like to hand out small presents; my wife and I distribute at least a dozen of these and other knives to family and friends in Thailand every year – in addition to tonnes of Swiss chocolate)

Does anyone really know what the law is? I have a couple of switch blades back home, but I doubt if I would bring them to LOS. In fact, they are only legal in two states in USA that I am aware of - Oregon and Arizona, unless you are active military. Then, another set of rules apply. If airport customs were to find them, I am sure they would be history.

Does anyone really know what the law is? I have a couple of switch blades back home, but I doubt if I would bring them to LOS. In fact, they are only legal in two states in USA that I am aware of - Oregon and Arizona, unless you are active military. Then, another set of rules apply. If airport customs were to find them, I am sure they would be history.

I live in Oregon. I'm not sure about the exact law regarding the possession of switchblades or other automatic knives in Oregon, but technically to transport them into the state, they must be completely disassembled like a kit. That may have more to do with mail order knives than anything else though.

I bought a couple in Bangkok several years ago, and just kept them in my checked luggage when returning to the States. There isn't much need to bring any into Thailand since you can buy them at Night Markets or the Weekend Market. I think I paid around 80 baht each for them at the time. They were made in Korea and overall quality are somewhat crappy.

I usually bring along a small pocket knife for odds and ends of uses in Thailand, but like ProfessorFart, I usually leave it at home when I'm going out to save any potential hassle that could pop up.

Edited by AmeriThai

Most of the pocket knives sold at these night markets are cheap imitations of good brands like Spyderco and Cold Steel. They may be stainless but the grade of steel is very low. Probably similar to cheap kitchen utensils. If you want a real Spyderco, Cold Steel or the like you can find them at the Weekend Market. However, the prices are very high so it's better to buy them in the States or wherever and check them in with your luggage. My uncle-in-law had me get him a couple from the States since they're much cheaper there.

• 5 years later...

Why do you need to carry a knife with you anyway? Seems a pretty dumb thing to do if you ask me.

I also travel with a knife, which is a handy thing to have, but I leave it in my room therefore avoiding getting into any situation. Maybe you could try the same.

As for the legality of carrying a knife, I would have thought that the police reaction when they have found your knife in the past may have given you a clue............?

You can open packages when your hands are slippery. In the dark it is hard to see those little strips that are supposed to open the plastic or foil wrap.

I am kinda fond of my small Smith & Wesson "Cutting Horse" that is meticulously honed at 17 degrees which is same as a scalpel. What on earth would an old fat falang do with that? Mostly open several water bottles every day. Day in and day out.post-49171-0-34842200-1301644444_thumb.j

I have a Gerber pocket knife that apparently is one of the best knives around. I bought it on a whim some years ago. But it stays in a drawer and is never used. I fondle it now and again, and of course I need to have it -- just in case I might need it for something ?

For twelve years straight I kept one of these in my toiletry bag when I traveled. The worst airport security had done (most never noticed and/or commented on it at all) was seal it in a large envelope and check it as baggage. And then on a Penang visa run some security kid at Suvarnabhumi insisted it had to be confiscated -- tiny, worn, scratched up, and dull not withstanding.

Victorinox-Companion-Lg.jpg

I have one of these from BigC ... always sharp with replacement blades -- great for packages or splitting pills blue or otherwise -- not so good for field dressing a moose.

PHO2213.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Don't give a S_hit if legal or not, I carry it everyday clipped into my back pocket, and use it as a handy tool to zip open letters, packages, cut zip ties, clean finger nails, or cut an apple into slices etc. etc. etc.. Also handy for the occasional Bah Yah freak who thinks he can intimidate you into giving him all your money rings etc.:jap: :ph34r:

post-84328-0-59701300-1301694915_thumb.j

• Like 1

800px-Opinel-patina.JPG

That's my choice of " Weapon "

Smith&Wesson knife? :cheesy:

Yes indeed it is a hilarious fact that Smith and Wessons produces many different quality products. My stainless 629 .44cal., superb safety/sunglasses, and my little "Cuttin' Horse" are just a few that I currently own... although your knife looks so well made and the screwdriver tip is cool .

My trusty Coleman ProCut (equivalent to a multipurpose Leatherman) has performed many valuable services for me. Prior to owning it, I use to carry a Buck lockback. A good friend in the Philippines liked it so much I gave it to him. He also told me it was illegal to carry it which is not the reason he ended up with it.

When on the road in Thailand, it never fails to get used for something, such as cutting open watermelons or slicing mangoes.

For twelve years straight I kept one of these in my toiletry bag when I traveled. The worst airport security had done (most never noticed and/or commented on it at all) was seal it in a large envelope and check it as baggage. And then on a Penang visa run some security kid at Suvarnabhumi insisted it had to be confiscated -- tiny, worn, scratched up, and dull not withstanding.

Victorinox-Companion-Lg.jpg

I have the same one, and I too keep it same way as you. I really laughed on this one as i thought I was the only one. Those scissors are great for nose hair trimming too The file is so-so and my knife blade is still sharp after 10 or so years.

800px-Opinel-patina.JPG

Yes indeed it is a hilarious fact that Smith and Wessons produces many different quality products. My stainless 629 .44cal., superb safety/sunglasses, and my little "Cuttin' Horse" are just a few that I currently own... although your knife looks so well made and the screwdriver tip is cool .

The first picture was from Wiki...

This one is mine. As you can see, it comes with some necessary items...

I never give it to someone else because of its sharpness.

Do you send your 100$ S&W "Cuttin'Horse", meticulously honed at 17 degrees which is the same as a scalpel in, when it needs a re-honing?

How much do they charge?

Do you wear shirts with S&W print on it?

I always carry this. Happens to be a Buck. I chose it because it has a hole for a lanyard. Without a lanyard I would be buying a new knife every week. This is a lock back & opens with one hand. Gerber are fine knives. I have a bunch of Spyderco Byrd knives in my drawer. Every American guy carries a knife right? Boy Scout motto?

post-79990-0-33594800-1301749492_thumb.j

Edited by powderpuff

post-49171-0-77340400-1301751513_thumb.j

800px-Opinel-patina.JPG

The first picture was from Wiki...

This one is mine. As you can see, it comes with some necessary items...

I never give it to someone else because of its sharpness.

Do you send your 100$ S&W "Cuttin'Horse", meticulously honed at 17 degrees which is the same as a scalpel in, when it needs a re-honing?

How much do they charge?

Do you wear shirts with S&W print on it?

I only wear the Smith &Wesson glasses anymore. I got too fat for the shirt. In all reality I am not fond of their semi-auto pistols so the cheerleader outfit got cancelled. I bought that knife for $5US at a truck stop years ago and use a Lansky sharpening system which allows me to sharpen precisely at several available angles. Kinda strange this thread popped up as I was putting an edge on one of the wife's kitchen knives as shown...

I only wear the Smith &Wesson glasses anymore. I got too fat for the shirt. In all reality I am not fond of their semi-auto pistols so the cheerleader outfit got cancelled. I bought that knife for $5US at a truck stop years ago and use a Lansky sharpening system which allows me to sharpen precisely at several available angles. Kinda strange this thread popped up as I was putting an edge on one of the wife's kitchen knives as shown...

post-49171-0-77340400-1301751513_thumb.jpg

That looks cool!

But too complicated for me; without support and a little practice you should get the same/better result.