Chinese Sauces

bonobo

I was rather surprised to discover that neither Fresh Mart nor Tesco had any Chinese sauces other than Char Siu sauce. I can make hoisin, but I really need black bean paste to do it right (I don't like using peanut butter as a substitute).

Other than fighting the parking in Chinatown, anyone know where there is a decent selection of Chinese ingredients?

If you are in Bangkok Villa has Chinese Black Beans in jars - plus other chinese ingredients.

Patrick

THanks.

Almost drove to Villa yesterday, but traffic was bad and the stores crowded, so I gave up and made a substitute hoisin for my mongolian lamb.

I will stop by and grab some for the next time, though.

Foodland sell some of the Lee Kum Kee brand Chinese sauces if it's easier for you to get to.

Lee Kum Kee is fine, and yes, Foodland is a little more convenient for me.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know where i can buy chilli oil for chinese cooking?

There is Thai chili oil, but it's not the same as Chinese, in my experince. We just make our own by filling 1/2 a small jar with dried, crushed, roasted chilies. Then we pour in the oil to cover the chilies, shake it up a bit, and then just leave ot alone to steep for a few days. The longer you keep it, the hotter the oil...

B)

• 2 months later...

anyone knows where can find Lee Kum Kee Chilli Bean Sauce and XO Sauce ? they were around in Bangkok but now not on supermarket shelves :-( I bring them from Singapore or from Hong Kong.

this Chilli Bean Sauce is very good for dipping and for cooking !!

http://my.lkk.com/pr.../chilibeansauce

I bought the XO from Foodland or Emporium if my memory serves me correct.

Central (Pattaya) still stocks Kitchen 88 (made in Thailand) XO sauce. It's about 90 baht a jar and I like it a lot. One time I bought a similarly priced made in China but brand other than Lee Kum Kee XO sauce at Villa (Pattaya) and found the taste vile and just threw it out. I recall seeing a 400 baht baht jar of made in China XO sauce, presumably higher quality, I think at Tops but not sure, and not sure they still stock it. I don't recall ever seeing Lee Kum Kee XO sauce in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing