Dutch men attempt to file police complaint over Bin Laden's death

News_Editor

Dutch men attempt to file police complaint over Bin Laden's death

2011-05-04 08:13:58 GMT+7 (ICT)

TILBURG, NETHERLANDS (BNO NEWS) -- Two Dutch men on Tuesday morning attempted to file a police complaint against the United States for carrying out a secret mission inside Pakistan that led to the death of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, local media reported.

The Brabants Dagblad newspaper reported that the two men, 30-year-old Ruud Snoeren and 29-year-old Terry Flohr, went to a police station in the southern city of Tilburg in an attempt to file a police complaint.

According to the newspaper, the men were frustrated by the celebrations and congratulations from around the world after Bin Laden's death was made public. "We are really angry," Snoeren, who is a jurist, said.

"There is a suspect of a murder, who has confessed on television and who has the evidence in his hands but dumped it in the sea. And the whole world applauds it," Snoeren told the newspaper, referring to the fact that Bin Laden's body was buried at sea.

Officers at the Tilburg police station heard the men, but decided to not accept the complaint. "We have had a conversation and registered it. It is not that we do not take the case seriously, but this is not something for Tilburg police," a police spokesman told the local Omroep Brabant television station. "We are not going to commit police resources on this."

Police advised the men to file a complaint with the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague. "But that is not recognized by the United States," Snoeren said, adding that they would consider contacting the ICC.

Bin Laden, who is believed to have ordered the 9/11 attack on the United States that killed nearly 3,000 people, was killed on Sunday during a secret U.S. mission at a compound in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad. Most Americans welcomed the news of his death.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-04

According to the newspaper, the men were frustrated by the celebrations and congratulations from around the world after Bin Laden's death was made public. "We are really angry,"

I wonder what their sign-in name is on Thai Visa? :D

According to the newspaper, the men were frustrated by the celebrations and congratulations from around the world after Bin Laden's death was made public. "We are really angry,"

Your guess is as good as mine.

:cheesy: I don't suppose those registering the complaint were similarly frustrated by scenes of Palestinians dancing on the rooftops after 9/11.

I was thinking of filing a complaint that the US didn't cut him up in little pieces and mount them on a tasteful plaques to be handed out to his victims families.

Pound of flesh and all that...

Looks like I get to eat some crow. It now appears that they shot an unarmed man which puts things in a whole different light.

I hated the guy as much as anyone but to kill an unarmed man is murder and doing it on behalf of the US is....well, just disgusting. Right now I'm feeling shame rather than the jubilation I was feeling an hour ago when I and the rest of the world believed that he was killed while shooting at the Seals hiding behind a woman.

I for one do not want to climb down into the slime pit that is OBL's bunch.

The first day there were quotes from insiders clearly saying it was a definitely a kill mission, not a capture mission. This wouldn't surprise me nor do I think it was wrong. While there may have been benefits for intelligence to keep him alive, I reckon the calculation that the greater international damage/potential terrorism instigation was with a messy long incarceration/trial before executing him anyway, which was inevitable. All things considered, this may have been the most humane thing for him as well, not that he deserved it.

Edited by Jingthing

i can think of one or two likely candidates........

Looks like I get to eat some crow. It now appears that they shot an unarmed man which puts things in a whole different light.

I hated the guy as much as anyone but to kill an unarmed man is murder and doing it on behalf of the US is....well, just disgusting. Right now I'm feeling shame rather than the jubilation I was feeling an hour ago when I and the rest of the world believed that he was killed while shooting at the Seals hiding behind a woman.

He was tried in absentia and found guilty of the murder of about 3000 people and given the death penalty. The sentence has been carried out. I don't equate this with murder.

Be fair. Navy Sals are highly traned, right? There was a 35 minute fire fight before the Seals took reached Osama. Do you not think that in the dark, it was reasonable to expect that a lunging person would represent a hostile threat? It is easy to say oh he was unarmed, but, put yourself in the boots of the Seal.

The US is being open and honest in its report of the killing. In return, we should be far in considering the circumstances before condemning.

Sorry I wasn't clear. MY problem is with my government and their planning. I share with you a respect for Navy Seals, they are the best of the best. I would never second guess a guy who is willing to do what those guys do.

If the idiots in my government would have told the story as you just did I would still be rejoicing. They should have had a plan to kill the bastard and not draw what will sure to be a shitstorm. They had to know that there would be wittnesses and frankly It wouldn't have bothered me one twit if they killed everyone in the compound. Live with scum die with scum. You can be sure that those wittnesses at this very moment are getting their stories togather to make America look bad in the eyes of the world. Too many loose ends for professionals. I do think it just reaffirms my opinion of the CIA as a bunch of idiots who let 911 happen and now screwed up this.

My issue is why did they make up the BS story (not the Seals) and then have to backtrak. It just makes all of America look bad (if that's possible) Open and honest would not have produce the lie.

Sorry I wasn't clear. MY problem is with my government and their planning. I share with you a respect for Navy Seals, they are the best of the best. I would never second guess a guy who is willing to do what those guys do.

If the idiots in my government would have told the story as you just did I would still be rejoicing. They should have had a plan to kill the bastard and not draw what will sure to be a shitstorm. They had to know that there would be wittnesses and frankly It wouldn't have bothered me one twit if they killed everyone in the compound. Live with scum die with scum. You can be sure that those wittnesses at this very moment are getting their stories togather to make America look bad in the eyes of the world. Too many loose ends for professionals. I do think it just reaffirms my opinion of the CIA as a bunch of idiots who let 911 happen and now screwed up this.

My issue is why did they make up the BS story (not the Seals) and then have to backtrak. It just makes all of America look bad (if that's possible) Open and honest would not have produce the lie.

Fully agree that the government is not too good about keeping their story straight. I hope they don't try and sell anything, keep it straight and simple, and let all the extremists on all sides of the issue run out of their hot air.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Fully agree that the government is not too good about keeping their story straight. I hope they don't try and sell anything, keep it straight and simple, and let all the extremists on all sides of the issue run out of their hot air.

Sorry you're not still dancing on air about his death. I am. Pass the sparkling soda, peel me a grape. I wish I could have been the one to pull the trigger on the slimeball.

Sorry you're not still dancing on air about his death. I am. Pass the sparkling soda, peel me a grape. I wish I could have been the one to pull the trigger on the slimeball.

Me? I am still ECSTATIC! Just talking about the future political posturing possibilities for the US to take. In my opinion the US should not need to explain anything, anyone who does not know OBL is a self confessed mass murderer does not deserve the time of day so why worry about all the rhetoric.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

While there may have been benefits for intelligence to keep him alive, I reckon the calculation that the greater international damage/potential terrorism instigation was with a messy long incarceration/trial before executing him anyway, which was inevitable.

There are few benefits of capturing him alive AND telling the world that we captured him alive. If I were in charge I would have kept him alive and just tell the world we killed him. While the world is debating how it was done, why it was done, how he was buried at sea, etc, etc - Osama would be secretly "gleaned" for intel.

While there may have been benefits for intelligence to keep him alive, I reckon the calculation that the greater international damage/potential terrorism instigation was with a messy long incarceration/trial before executing him anyway, which was inevitable.

There are few benefits of capturing him alive AND telling the world that we captured him alive. If I were in charge I would have kept him alive and just tell the world we killed him. While the world is debating how it was done, why it was done, how he was buried at sea, etc, etc - Osama would be secretly "gleaned" for intel.

This is what Bush would have done. Obama would have sent him to Disneyland and tried to convert him with kindness. All in all, the Seal's solution was probably the most pragmatic under the circumstances.

I am reasonably sure that the only way Bin Laden would NOT have been shot was if he immediately put his hands in the air. This is not a target you want to let slip through your fingers. Bin Laden had always said he wouldn't be taken alive. I am sure the Navy Seal with the gun didn't have a moments hesitation in shooting him the minute he moved.

Bin Laden is not an ordinary criminal. He's an enemy combatant and he does not enjoy the same rights as a civilian.

He's probably not a very valuable source of intelligence information. He's been isolated for far too long. His information would probably be rather vague and dated. He could provide some historically interesting information that would piece together the operations and it would be helpful to know how he thinks and how decisions are made with in AQ, but current and relevant intelligence probably wouldn't be forthcoming.

The computer hard drives are probably more valuable.

Lost in the story is the allegation from the Bin Laden family members that another person was removed from the compound. The story has gone silent now that the Bin Laden family members are in custody with the Pakistanis. Either it was a wounded Seal, or an associate of Bin Laden.

Or it's not true. Or someone who was there ran away or escaped. Any idea of who it was?

I am sure the conspiracy theorists will be able to explain this!

I doubt that the security people involved feel any compunction to tell the media anything that they don't want the rest of the world to know.

It was a more humane effort that a missile strike, which was one of their other options considered, apparently.

a drone missile strike was considered, I'm sure, but sending in the Seals was smarter for several reasons. It ensured they got their man. It enabled a sh!tload of data be retrieved - though now it's up to the Pakistani authorities to use that data wisely (in coordination with other countries). It would only take one mole to compromise that wealth of data, and I don't doubt there are many potential moles fettered away in Pakistani 'intelligence' corridors.

a drone missile strike was considered, I'm sure, but sending in the Seals was smarter for several reasons. It ensured they got their man. It enabled a sh!tload of data be retrieved - though now it's up to the Pakistani authorities to use that data wisely (in coordination with other countries). It would only take one mole to compromise that wealth of data, and I don't doubt there are many potential moles fettered away in Pakistani 'intelligence' corridors.

Drones have their own problems, look what happened with this one..

http://www.theonion.com/video/predator-drone-tr425-takes-the-stand,20317/