Canadian troops to aid flood victims in Quebec

News_Editor

Canadian troops to aid flood victims in Quebec

2011-05-06 08:11:59 GMT+7 (ICT)

QUEBEC CITY, CANADA (BNO NEWS) -- The Canadian government on Thursday deployed soldiers to help flood victims in southeastern Quebec, the Canadian Press reported.

Soldiers placed sandbags to help stop the flooding in Richelieu Valley, while residents struggled to get around in canoes and all-terrain vehicles. About 2,800 people have been forced from their homes and more than 3,000 homes have been affected by the flooding.

The military arrived one day after Quebec Premier Jean Charest asked for help from the Canadian Forces. He said the government would compensate people and municipalities for some of the damages, but warned that the government couldn't cover all costs.

"Programs will never manage to compensate people for everything they have lost," Charest said. "It hurts me to say this today. But it's not true that we can compensate everything. It's impossible."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement on Thursday saying the federal government will assist people.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the Richelieu Valley during the devastating floods that have hit the region this month," Harper said.

"I want to assure those families affected, and those dear to them, that the Government of Canada stands ready to assist the people of Quebec in this difficult time."

According to Environment Canada, this year's heavier-than-usual winter snowfall is responsible for the floods.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-06

I was watching the CBC news online when they interviewed the Captain and the reporter made a joke about IEDS and what a relief it was not to be in a hostile zone.

The troops being used have done 2, 3, 4 or 5 tours in Afghanistan and are happy for this mission.