Australia to send asylum seekers to Papua New Guinea

News_Editor

Australia to send asylum seekers to Papua New Guinea

2011-05-06 09:21:16 GMT+7 (ICT)

SYDNEY (BNO NEWS) -- Australian and Papua New Guinean officials said on Friday that the Manus Island detention center may be reopened, the Daily Telegraph reported.

According to media reports, the Australian government has almost reached an agreement with Papua New Guinea, and Immigration Department head Andrew Metcalfe has recently toured the facility that closed in 2004. The facilities in Manus Island, located hundreds of kilometers off the northeast coast of Papua New Guinea, have been mothballed for years.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard and her Immigration Minister Chris Bowen, however, are desperate to stop the unending flow of boats. Before last year's election the government announced it would negotiate with East Timor to host a regional processing centre there, but negotiations failed.

An Immigration Department spokesman said Metcalfe played "an important role in advancing dialogue on immigration and border security issues in the region," the Telegraph reported.

Australia's detention centers have recently been plagued by violent riots, suicides and self-harm attempts. Late last month, dozens of asylum-seekers pelted firefighters with roof tiles and other debris as they tried to battle blazes at a detention center in Sydney, which houses around 400 detainees.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-06

I think it should be noted that the last wave of violence, fire setting etc was done by assylum seekers who had been denied assylum. I suppose they had nothing to lose.

I woud think that when they now deny assylum to someone they will be on the first plane out.