Alcohol Addiction

Hi , i write this to seek for someone that has had problems with alcohol, and drinking and might me able to do the 12step, drinking is really a problem for me and i really wish to stop, but i cant, i have had a sober periodes , the longest 2 years, but this time i cant stop and i am having pchysical, problems because of this ( as well as other, mental speculations) i dont feel like i want to go to AA meetings until later when i am sober, although that probably is the right way. I have a sincere wish to stop drinking and live like i did before when i had a long periodes sober. is there anyone that can advice me and perhaps help somehow ?

, this is serious , i think its a sick condition. I also think its genetic as i have family members that died from drinking. but i believe there is a solution, i have many friends in my home country, and some of them have been sober over 20 years. Anyhow it doesn't matter what it comes from, what matters for me is to do something about it.

Thanks for reading this , regards, ESK.

PS: i dont know how to place this mail in general subjects, but i am sure the webmaster will move it to the right place?

You have a sincere wish to stop drinking. That is a good first step. There is hope.

It is too bad there are not many places here to go for rehab. Because you need to talk to a psychologist or a therapist of some kind to discover the underlying problem.

I am saying that drinking is a symptom of something else that is wrong.

You can go to AA if you have even 24 hours sober. But you should make a decision to stop for good first.

I am sure you will get good advice on this forum. Hang in there. It will get better.

You don't need to be sober for 24 hours before you can attend an aa meeting and the only requirement for membership is a "desire" to stop drinking, you don't have to make a DECISION as the previous poster stated.

It helps if you are not drunk when attending one (though you should still be admitted if you are) but drinking whilst there is forbidden as you are more than likely going to disrupt the meeting, but if you have a stong desire to quit, just get yourself to your nearest one.

We can all talk till we are blue in the face about the benefits/drawbacks of aa and have done so on many threads, maybe reading through some of the other threads here may help you decide , but right now its the ONLY place you can go to try and get help, unless you want to check into a rehab centre.

For more information on meetings check out the website at www.aathailand.org.

Good luck, I know of no better place to start the recovery process than aa.

TP

The only thing I would add to ThaiPauly's post is that if you are experiencing any sort of withdrawal symptoms from alcohol when you are not drinking, these may be the shakes, flu like symptoms, increased heart rate, etc.......Then you may want to consider checking yourself into a detox for 3-4 days. When you get out, go to an AA meeting right away, introduce yourself as a newbie and go from there. I do suggest getting a sponsor in AA and working the 12 steps. Good luck to you!

ThaiPauly nailed it. All you need is a desire to stop drinking to attend AA.

All you need do is just go to as many meetings as you can. Don't worry about stopping drinking, just go to the meetings, keep your mouth shut and listen. Sooner or later you will hear something that will resonate with you and you may feel the power of GOD (group of drunks) The fellowship has power because everyone there will already know you. Listen to the preamble; it says it all. I haven't been to a meeting for almost 20 years but I can hardly read the preamble without becomming overwhelmed with emotion.

Just to echo the others sentiments. Get yourself to a meeting ASAP. They have all been there and will know what to do. Don't worry about it, no one will think less of you. Find a temporary sponsor, you can change later if there are any problems.

Although you may feel in a corner at the moment there are more options than you may imagine. I was in a simliar situation a couple of years back. You reach a point where to continue drinking is no longer an option. If you are drinking heavily then the first thing you should do is detox. Ideally this would be in a rehab facility where the staff are trained and expereinced in addiction. I haven't been to any of the facilities in Thailand, but I know there are here. If you can afford it, primary and then secondary care at a rehab in Thailand or back home will give you the best chance to lay the foundations that you build your recovery on. This is big business nowadays, it saves lives.

Another option is a hospital detox. Most Thai hospitals would admit you. If you are honest about your condition they will give you a bed, probably an IV and prescribed medication to ease the withdrawal, if you experience any symtoms. The important thing is to get yourself to an AA or NA meeting AS SOON as you are discharged. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can hadle it once you have detoxed. You can't. Past experience has taught you that.

You could take a temple cure at Thamkrabok. I've been there. It's harsh. Daily vomiting and steam baths. Only consider this if you want a tough military style cure.

Once, you have been sober a week it is important to go to meetings, listen, and learn the 12 steps. The first step is to surrender to your addiction. On reading your post it sounds like you have already begun to do this. Life in active addiction is a terrible mess of secrets and shame. You have a chance now to give yourself a break and begin to enjoy life.

Good luck.

A few years ago I was having a terrible time drinking. I tried and tried to get to an AA meeting but couldn't. I wasted much time trying to go and it was only when I phoned a person on the AA namelist that I'd got before that I got the help I needed. The person came round to my apartment and took me to a hospital.

Location Covered Language Phone Number

Nationwide English/Thai 02-231-8300

Chiang Rai English 082-050-4439 or 086-276-2626

Chiangmai English 084-485-0100

Hua Hin English 081-944-7426 or 089-213-2609

Jomtien Beach English 080-570-1404, 086-156-8102, 087-085-3356

Koh Samui English 087-887 0971

Pattaya English 08 7994 6224, 08 7171 9641, 08 4563 1671

Phuket English 081-895-4763 or 081-891-2895.

Call one of the above numbers

Is there an atheists AA group anywhere in Thailand?

Any AA meeting is for an atheist or christian or Buddist or non-believer of any type

Just go and see. I had no god, no higher power or beliefs, sober for over 1 year now, thanks to AA.

Now I believe in the fellowship, my home group, have become the man I always wanted to be, not the A**hole I turned out to be!! :lol:

Good Luck

AA groups do not align themselves with any religion or "ism"

Among those attending an AA meeting you'll find the full range of beliefs/understandings including what you refer to as atheism

Confusion on this point stems from the "higher power" concept. A higher power need not be any type of god. It can be the group, nature, universal law, whatever...what is important is what it is not: it is not your self-will or your ego.

Acceptance of a higher power is important because it means opening yourself up to help. It makes not the slightest difference on earth how you conceptualize that higher power. It is the opening up that is important.

Among those attending an AA meeting you'll find the full range of beliefs/understandings including what you refer to as atheism

Confusion on this point stems from the "higher power" concept. A higher power need not be any type of god. It can be the group, nature, universal law, whatever...what is important is what it is not: it is not your self-will or your ego.

Acceptance of a higher power is important because it means opening yourself up to help. It makes not the slightest difference on earth how you conceptualize that higher power. It is the opening up that is important.

Well put Sheryl. I think the use of the word God in the AA literature has put many people off, as it did for me for quite some time. After getting into AA, I have figured out, at least for me, there is a difference between spirituality and religion.

Well put Sheryl. I think the use of the word God in the AA literature has put many people off, as it did for me for quite some time. After getting into AA, I have figured out, at least for me, there is a difference between spirituality and religion.

Religion is for those who don't want to go to Hell - Spirituality is for those who have already been there.

Edited by Johnniey

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I would add to ThaiPauly's post is that if you are experiencing any sort of withdrawal symptoms from alcohol when you are not drinking, these may be the shakes, flu like symptoms, increased heart rate, etc.......Then you may want to consider checking yourself into a detox for 3-4 days. When you get out, go to an AA meeting right away, introduce yourself as a newbie and go from there. I do suggest getting a sponsor in AA and working the 12 steps. Good luck to you!

Thank you very much, but where can i check into dotox, i just spend one day at memorila, but pretty expencive. what did you do ?

Is there an atheists AA group anywhere in Thailand?

Any AA meeting is for an atheist or christian or Buddist or non-believer of any type

Just go and see. I had no god, no higher power or beliefs, sober for over 1 year now, thanks to AA.

Now I believe in the fellowship, my home group, have become the man I always wanted to be, not the A**hole I turned out to be!! :lol:

Good Luck

Thank you sir

You have a sincere wish to stop drinking. That is a good first step. There is hope.

It is too bad there are not many places here to go for rehab. Because you need to talk to a psychologist or a therapist of some kind to discover the underlying problem.

You can go to AA if you have even 24 hours sober. But you should make a decision to stop for good first.

I am sure you will get good advice on this forum. Hang in there. It will get better.

Thanks very much

Thank you very much for your response.

A few years ago I was having a terrible time drinking. I tried and tried to get to an AA meeting but couldn't. I wasted much time trying to go and it was only when I phoned a person on the AA namelist that I'd got before that I got the help I needed. The person came round to my apartment and took me to a hospital.

Location Covered Language Phone Number

Nationwide English/Thai 02-231-8300

Chiang Rai English 082-050-4439 or 086-276-2626

Chiangmai English 084-485-0100

Hua Hin English 081-944-7426 or 089-213-2609

Jomtien Beach English 080-570-1404, 086-156-8102, 087-085-3356

Koh Samui English 087-887 0971

Pattaya English 08 7994 6224, 08 7171 9641, 08 4563 1671

Phuket English 081-895-4763 or 081-891-2895.

Call one of the above numbers

Thank you all for you kind replies, yes i am corned in, i connot drink but neither can i stop it, i am very interessed in knowing about detox and the costs, of that would be ? I will call one of the numbers you gave me and hope they can advice me further. thanks again, ESK

Although you may feel in a corner at the moment there are more options than you may imagine. I was in a simliar situation a couple of years back. You reach a point where to continue drinking is no longer an option. If you are drinking heavily then the first thing you should do is detox. Ideally this would be in a rehab facility where the staff are trained and expereinced in addiction. I haven't been to any of the facilities in Thailand, but I know there are here. If you can afford it, primary and then secondary care at a rehab in Thailand or back home will give you the best chance to lay the foundations that you build your recovery on. This is big business nowadays, it saves lives.

Another option is a hospital detox. Most Thai hospitals would admit you. If you are honest about your condition they will give you a bed, probably an IV and prescribed medication to ease the withdrawal, if you experience any symtoms. The important thing is to get yourself to an AA or NA meeting AS SOON as you are discharged. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can hadle it once you have detoxed. You can't. Past experience has taught you that.

You could take a temple cure at Thamkrabok. I've been there. It's harsh. Daily vomiting and steam baths. Only consider this if you want a tough military style cure.

Once, you have been sober a week it is important to go to meetings, listen, and learn the 12 steps. The first step is to surrender to your addiction. On reading your post it sounds like you have already begun to do this. Life in active addiction is a terrible mess of secrets and shame. You have a chance now to give yourself a break and begin to enjoy life.

Good luck.

Thank you very much, but what and where is Thamkrabok, what does it cost and do they not give any medicine for withdrawals? what kind of place is it, do i get a bed and how long will i need to stay? what happens during the day, is there anything to pass time with, could i for example take my wireless laptop with me ? please tell me about this .

• 4 weeks later...

BBC report praises Thamkrabok Monastery drug/alcohol detox treatment. The treatment as well as the accommodation is free, only the food has to be paid. East-West Detox had its NHS funding stopped in 2007 but research carried out by two universities showed 95% of patients remained drug free after treatment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-13674101

Don't know how true it is, but I read something recently that stated that AA was orignally started by a group of Christian men who attempted to use God's help in conquering their alcoholism. During the era of Political Correctness, is was necessary to refer to a "higher power" rather than God, since it was considered exclusionary. Apparently, 'higher power' has now evolved into anything but your own will power.

Having never attended an AA meeting, I can only recommend that a person with heath issues related to drinking should try whatever they can to stop drinking. If that means suspending your own personal beliefs about "higher power", etc, then it would be worth it, IMO. The important thing is to stop drinking, not quibble over what and who the concept of a 'higher power' may or may not be.

Erikur3:

I was hoping that I would hear that you are back in your own country by now getting treatment. Please don't wait until it is too late! That's the mistake I almost made.

Best wishes.

Rick

• 2 months later...

alcohol is a great drug. why stop? only stop when it interferes with your ability to make money. otherwise, <deleted> it...

i like my binges and won't stop until i die.

yours truly,

meat :jap:

You can usually chart your progression into oblivion by what you drink and of course it has to do with money. You may begin with Napoleon brandy and end up with Lao Khow. I got off the boat when I started to buy grocery store beer specials.

Money is certainly a factor and a good indicator of when you hit bottom. When you wake up in the morning in a field surrounded by Soi dogs and beggars with nothing in your pocket it may be an indication to cut back on drinking a bit.

alcohol is a great drug. why stop? only stop when it interferes with your ability to make money. otherwise, <deleted> it...

yours truly,

You can usually chart your progression into oblivion by what you drink and of course it has to do with money. You may begin with Napoleon brandy and end up with Lao Khow. I got off the boat when I started to buy grocery store beer specials.

Money is certainly a factor and a good indicator of when you hit bottom. When you wake up in the morning in a field surrounded by Soi dogs and beggars with nothing in your pocket it may be an indication to cut back on drinking a bit.

KERRY: Even fuc_kwits like me have not reached that stage yet.... I suppose its nice to have a career path.

CHOPS My recommendation to Chops would be to seriously consider suicide now, because from what I've heard, you may lack the resolution later when the drink has really taken hold. Or, if you're not man enough for suicide, consider moderation or abstinence,

SC

Environment is everything, when i need to seriously cut back and/or stop altogether, i move out of convenience range of go-go bars & drinking mates.

I didn't mind being drunk every day, in fact i embraced it, but i did mind the large cost associated with go-go, and eventually drinking became totally pointless.

I also switched go-go to a gf, to get some purpose beyond myself & beer in my life.

Generally now when i live out of convenience range of go-go bars & drinking mates, i drink at most a couple of times/week, and i stop drinking after 2-3 beers, since the party is too far away.

My convenience range has turn out to be ~ 1 km, Yours may differ.

yours truly,

The question here is:

why post something like this in the "I drink too much" forum, a place dedicated to people who want to stop or reduce drinking????

There are no doubt many with the same sentiments, but they (and you) do not belong here in this sub-forum. :angry: