Very Sad News - Seve's Dead !

SuperGers

Golf legend Seve Ballesteros has died at the age of 54, his family have confirmed via his official website.

What a legend help transform the game of Golf.

He will be sorely missed and may The Royal Trophy continue in his honour.

He has helped Asian Golf no end.

Potters

"The final words of his brother will move anyone who reads them. Brothers can be rivals, or jealous, or words can fail them when their brothers pass. But as if blessed by the Ballesteros gene of flair, Baldomero Ballesteros said of his departed sibling: “I held his hands, caressed them and thought: ‘What these hands have done in the world.’ … He knew he was dying, and what is leaving us is more than a brother, a son or a father; what is leaving us is glory.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news;_ylt=ArtpXKESl7xzGB04QuJP1lgogsUF?slug=br-murphy_seve_ballesteros_tribute_050711

He's gone - the boy who only had a 7 iron. The man who tamed St Andrews. My Hero. RIP big man.

Actually, it was a 3-iron.

Thanks for everything, Seve.

Sorry, my mistake.

No wonder he was so good with those long irons !

I remember watching (on TV) Seve and Lee Trevino playing a nine hole round at the Old Course in St. Andrews on Thursday after the 1984 Open ended. They were only allowed to use one club and they had to do everything with that one club. Google says they used a 5 iron but I thought Trevino used a 4 iron.

They didn't play the front 9 or back 9 but chose to play 9 holes in the middle of the course starting about the 5th hole. I will always remember Seve getting out of a bunker on either 7 or 11 that anybody else would have been pressed to use a sand iron and escape. He did it with a 5 iron from a buried lie.

Seve ended up 3 over and Lee was 5 over.

I played the Old Course that morning and had a 7 on the par 4 17th hole after reaching the green in regulation and taking only 2 putts. There were no penalties involved. You figure it out. B)

Edited by chuckd

He's gone - the boy who only had a 7 iron. The man who tamed St Andrews. My Hero. RIP big man.

Actually, it was a 3-iron.

Thanks for everything, Seve.

Sorry, my mistake.

No wonder he was so good with those long irons !

I read somewhere that Tiger said that Seve was the most inventive player ever, and I think it will take a long time before we will see something similar. Probably not during my lifetime.

But Seve was more than just inventing shots to get out of impossible lies - remember Seve was the only golfer who could make par from inside a closed refrigerator - Seve was pure inspiration.