Death toll rises in Mexico coal mine explosion

News_Editor

Death toll rises in Mexico coal mine explosion

2011-05-08 02:31:10 GMT+7 (ICT)

SABINAS, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) -- Rescue workers recovered four new bodies from a coal mine in northern Mexico, Milenio newspaper reported on Saturday.

Mexican Labor Secretary Javier Lozano announced the discovery of the bodies via twitter. There are still three bodies missing following Tuesday's coal mine explosion in the state of Coahuila that trapped at least 14 miners.

Lozano said 20 specialized miners were hired to assist in the rescue operation inside the coal mine in the municipality of Sabinas. Each of them will be paid 1,000 pesos ($85) per day.

The explosion occurred on Tuesday morning, at around 8:45 a.m. local time. Mexico's Attorney General's Office said preliminary data indicated that the blast was caused by gas in the mine's third well, located around kilometer 3 of the federal highway 57.

A 15-year-old male was injured in the blast and taken to a nearby hospital, but his right arm had to be amputated due to the severe wounds caused by the explosion. He was standing outside the mine during the incident, and hospital officials reported that he had sustained burns to his face and airways.

The Mayor of Sabinas Jesus Mario Montemayor condemned the mine's owner for having an underage boy working at the site and not registering him in Mexico's social security health services.

Melchor González Vélez, the owner of the mine, said that the priority is to rescue the three miners who are still missing. He added that the families of the victims will receive compensation.

Mexican President Felipe Calderón on Tuesday expressed regret and assured that his government would fully support the rescue efforts, adding that federal and state agencies were cooperating in the matter.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-08