Want To Teach My Son Danish

Hi all.

My son is 1.5 years old and haven't started to speak yet, but only the normal blah-blah.

I am speaking English to him and my wife speak Thai & Cambodian to him. I think it would be great for him if he could also speak Danish as he will get a Danish passport but will have to decide for himself when the time comes (18 year old) whether to be Thai or Danish citizen. We are living in Thailand full time and have no plans to relocate to DK, but one can never predict the future.

How is the best way to teach him how to speak Danish? I am no teacher myself but an engineer so I haven't got a clue, expect off-course to speak Danish to him as much as possible. When he start in school here in Pattaya, we will find a bi-language school for him (English & Thai)

I am only here two month at the time followed by two month work (off-shore industry).

Any inputs are very welcome.

I am not sure I am in the right forum here.

Children can learn to be bilingual (or trilingual) from very early, but it's a good idea to get them grounded in one language first. At 1.5 years, he should be speaking already. Boys usually lag behind girls in speaking.

I don't know that I would worry just yet--I had close friends whose children were slow to speak. The father spoke English, the mother spoke German and the nanny spoke Thai. They finally settled on English and the nanny, of course, could only speak Thai. The children caught up but it took a concerted effort by the parents.

You should probably speak English and your wife should speak Thai (drop the Cambodian if possible). Work with him. Try to get him to say words. Delay gratification until he tries to answer. Naam or water before he gets it. Try to make sure he understands when you speak to him.

Once he takes off in speaking, then you might want to start introducing Danish, but I would tend to wait until he is somewhere between 3-5.

Since he is living in Thailand, Thai is important. Since he will be going to a bilingual school, English is important.

"but will have to decide for himself when the time comes (18 year old) whether to be Thai or Danish citizen".

Off topic to your question, but I don't believe there will be any need for him to choose a citizenship at 18. While Demark generally don't allow dual citizenship, I don't believe this to be the case for people aquiring dual citizenship by birth.

But, of course, no-one knows what the rules will be like 17 years from now.

Sophon

Thanks Scott & Sophon.:)

Well my wife speaks pretty good English but the problem is his grandmother (only Cambodian speaking.) and our house maid (only Thai), he-he. I will go work overseas for 2 month very soon and then it will only be Thai + Cambodian. I will speak to my wife and try to limit it to Thai for the time being.

So Scott you reckon that I can wait with Danish until after 3 years, good. He will start in school when 3 years old so maybe wait a bit more so he don't get too confused.

Yes he will have to choose citizen ship when 18 or 20 years old, I can get a Danish Passport for him when he is 3 years old, but as you said the Dane's don't allow double citizen ship for unknown reasons and they will not allow double country passports when adult (bastards). I will however check with the Danish Consulate here in Pattaya again.

Yes I agree regarding the importance of Thai + English, several of my friends here (from Scandinavia) don't bother learning their kids, "papa's" native language.

Yes he will have to choose citizen ship when 18 or 20 years old, I can get a Danish Passport for him when he is 3 years old, but as you said the Dane's don't allow double citizen ship for unknown reasons and they will not allow double country passports when adult (bastards). I will however check with the Danish Consulate here in Pattaya again.

I wouldn't expect the Danish consulate in Pattaya to know much about the rules for double citizenship, I would recommend that you do your own research instead of relying on what they say (you have plenty of time :rolleyes: ). Try reading the website www.statsborger.dk for a start.

Sophon

I wouldn't expect the Danish consulate in Pattaya to know much about the rules for double citizenship, I would recommend that you do your own research instead of relying on what they say (you have plenty of time :rolleyes: ). Try reading the website www.statsborger.dk for a start.

Sophon

You are properly right and thanks for the tip.