Storms Wreak Havoc In Thailand's North And Northeast

webfact

Storms wreak havoc North and Northeast

By Manoon Moongchoo,

Ekkapong Praditpong,

Boonluen Prompratarnkul

Summer storms have hit North and Northeastern parts of the country, causing damage to buildings, trees and public utilities.

Thunderstorms damaged more than 100 houses in Si Sa Ket province while rainstorms brought down large trees and damaged five houses in Chiang Mai province, according to local officials.

Meanwhile, authorities warned residents in Ranong province about possible flash floods and landslides after continuous heavy rain. Officials in Ratchaburi also warned local residents of thunderstorms and heavy rain.

"More rain occurred over the western part of the country and the East, and isolated heavy to very heavy rain is likely on the southwestern coast. People in the 'disaster-prone areas' in Ranong, Phang-nga, Phuket and Krabi provinces should beware of flash floods between May 7-11," a warning by the Meteorological Department said yesterday.

Administrative officers in Bung Bun district of Si Sa Ket surveyed the aftermath yesterday and found that 107 houses were damaged after storms hit tambon Poh on Friday evening. Some were partially destroyed, and others were wholly damaged. A cow was also killed by lightning in tambon Bueng Bun.

Thongdum Boonmee, 70, a resident in tambon Poh, said the storm blew away half of her house's roof while she was taking care of her grandchild on a lower floor. They had to run to hide in the kitchen until the storm ceased.

In Chiang Mai, storms that occurred from Wednesday to Friday brought down large trees on top of five houses, while other falling trees brought down seven electricity poles. Fifty advertising boards were also damaged. There was no electricity for hours, and floods caused traffic congestion in many areas on Friday evening, according to Chiang Mai's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office.

Officers later checked the strength of other billboards, plus cut big branches of trees and dredged canals to prepare for more rainstorms that may occur.

Ranong Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office said there were heavy downpours in the province since Thursday night and the Meteorological Department forecast heavy rain in Ranong from Friday till next Thursday (May 6-12). Residents were also warned to beware of possible flash floods and landslides.

The office warned people via community radio stations to be alert in risky areas, including on foothill slopes and near rivers. Officials and volunteers were ordered to be ready around the clock for rescue missions.

Authorities in Ratchaburi alerted people and resort owners in four districts on the border to keep an eye on the weather, as rainstorms might hit Burma and districts nearby from Friday until tomorrow Monday. Local administrative organisations were also told to prepare personnel, tools and vehicles to immediately assist affected people.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-09

'jackr' timestamp='1304904255' post='4410514']

Yep, been pretty intense up here in CM, especially when you're house overlooks miles of rice paddy. :whistling:

Well done Mr Minister , warn every one about expected storms and suggest various hazards that could kill or cause huge damages , then AFTER the storms have struck and caused such damages putting people into hazardous conditions , out comes the equipment to cut off dangerous limbs on trees , dredge canals to prevent MORE flooding and do a survey of large signs which are a constant hazard at the best of times . What happened to the appropriate ministeries that were advised(Told) to do all of these things BEFORE the storms struck ?

I know , I know this is Thailand , do not fix it until it is broken , lack of forward thinking me thinks .

Yep, been pretty intense up here in CM, especially when you're house overlooks miles of rice paddy. :whistling:

Well done Mr Minister , warn every one about expected storms and suggest various hazards that could kill or cause huge damages , then AFTER the storms have struck and caused such damages putting people into hazardous conditions , out comes the equipment to cut off dangerous limbs on trees , dredge canals to prevent MORE flooding and do a survey of large signs which are a constant hazard at the best of times . What happened to the appropriate ministeries that were advised(Told) to do all of these things BEFORE the storms struck ?

I know , I know this is Thailand , do not fix it until it is broken , lack of forward thinking me thinks .

This was all clearly warned on Wednesday and Thursday last week - not reading news articles means you may well point the finger but ... As to preparation? Never going to happen. Bit hard when your roof is held on with wire and twine and budget does not extend past a bowl of rice. T.i.T.