• 4 weeks later...

well done doggeroo we can use a smile for our tomatoes. Yours look great but ours exploded after transplanting in Issan Aussies compost and a blend of earth i made up. Some flowered so much that they looked like a mass of yellow flowers and you couldn't see the plants. A bunch went out into a plot in the rice farm and they were doing great. Went back to visit mom in March for a bit and the rains came and haven't stopped. He4avy rains and now well over a month with no let up. The tomatoes were thrashed but I am going to start planting again shortly and try them in a covered area I have built to try and see how they will do in the worst time of the year due to the rains we will be having but this is definitely smaller scale as an experiment. Rice was in last year at the end of June early July for some and we had to wait to be able to get into the ground and were lucky to get it in in the second week of May. La Nina is here big time in Lavia and yet Issan Aussie in Si Sa ket is still looking for some rain as he just got his in. haven't had much tme for the internet as I spent all of May on the farm and basically on the tractor or shovel or grease or wrench and saw alot of 12-16 hours days and really put a sttrain on the old and I do mean old body. great photo. Fords Forever

Just so you're on top of things.

On of your Mexicans, a cherry type, is still going strong with all the rains.

Another one, regular type, kind of sweet, soft texture, medium sized ( I should have kept those tags ) is also still producing.

All grown without any protection in between the grapes.

This year I also tested to see if any heirlooms will produce under the open sky; only the black Russians gave a decent yield.

PS, the dates will be ready soon & the new wood burning pizza oven made excellent pies, get ready for a visit.

Regards

Another one, regular type, kind of sweet, soft texture, medium sized ( I should have kept those tags ) is also still producing.

This year I also tested to see if any heirlooms will produce under the open sky; only the black Russians gave a decent yield.

PS, the dates will be ready soon & the new wood burning pizza oven made excellent pies, get ready for a visit.

Regards

good on you and glad to hear it. All of those I gave you were heirlooms some dating to the 1860's (don't remember what i gave you). The plants were doing so well in all ways but all in the field went under water and really sufferred so they got yanked. I'm a bit excited to get some going under cover and see what we can do though it isn't a big area it will be a good test area. the corrugated fiberglass that i got was pretty expensive and not very strong so i need to try to find some material that is more practical and durable or something that may be able to be used on a temporary basis but not thrown away each year. So much to do and so much rain. Such it is. FFFords FFFForever

Regards

good on you and glad to hear it. All of those I gave you were heirlooms some dating to the 1860's (don't remember what i gave you). The plants were doing so well in all ways but all in the field went under water and really sufferred so they got yanked. I'm a bit excited to get some going under cover and see what we can do though it isn't a big area it will be a good test area. the corrugated fiberglass that i got was pretty expensive and not very strong so i need to try to find some material that is more practical and durable or something that may be able to be used on a temporary basis but not thrown away each year. So much to do and so much rain. Such it is. FFFords FFFForever

You probably could use the clear roofing material ( comes in big pieces ) to create shelter in an ELEVATED WITH GOOD DRAINAGE area.

Not expensive, very durable. We use it for skylights in rental houses, it works well.

The corrugated (matches the ubiquitous galvanized metal) that I used was about 2 meters long but very very weak clear to slightly green fiberglass similar to the stuff in the US but very very weak. In the US we could get it almost in 5 meter lengths. I'll be up next week and if I can find time will search some more and try to get in touch. thanks FF

Regards

You probably could use the clear roofing material ( comes in big pieces ) to create shelter in an ELEVATED WITH GOOD DRAINAGE area.

Not expensive, very durable. We use it for skylights in rental houses, it works well.

The corrugated (matches the ubiquitous galvanized metal) that I used was about 2 meters long but very very weak clear to slightly green fiberglass similar to the stuff in the US but very very weak. In the US we could get it almost in 5 meter lengths. I'll be up next week and if I can find time will search some more and try to get in touch. thanks FF

Regards

Look for the "SunThai" brand, more durable a few more baht, you can order whatever length you wish.