Birds Of Thailand & Isaan

zzaa09

I have some good news too: I will receive my Lekagul tomorrow and the lady of the bookshop ordered 2 more copies from stock, I will get confirmation soon.

So if there are still "hungry" birders, for this book at least, let me know by pm, I will send you the email address and the name of the lady. Costs 1125 baht including delivery per designated company.

Cheers

Joe

In addition I can confirm the two copies are available and are held for me until further notice.

When no interests they will go back into the store.

PM me if you are interested, I give you then details and address.

Cheers

Joe

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to ask help in identifying this flying bird. The photo is of bad quality but maybe one expert can tell me more.

Probably a "Black Kite". One can be seen in the 2nd pictured at this link:

http://www.trevorsbirding.com/category/eagles-and-hawks/page/3/

No, I;m not an expert -- just a photographer who likes to photograph birds in flight.

I would like to ask help in identifying this flying bird. The photo is of bad quality but maybe one expert can tell me more.

Probably a "Black Kite". One can be seen in the 2nd pictured at this link:

http://www.trevorsbi...d-hawks/page/3/

No, I;m not an expert -- just a photographer who likes to photograph birds in flight.

I'm afraid the forked tail is totally different from the Black Kite, but thanks anyway.

Any other input?

Cheers

Joe

^ Barn Swallow

Sorry, it's not a Barn Swallow, I would recognise them easily..

This bird is larger (BS 15 cm, this one 20 cm+), the body is stronger and the wings are large, straight and strong, not like a swallow

Barn Swallow has a much deeper fork tail too.

Joe

^ Barn Swallow

Sorry, it's not a Barn Swallow, I would recognise them easily..

This bird is larger (BS 15 cm, this one 20 cm+), the body is stronger and the wings are large, straight and strong, not like a swallow

Joe

I originally thought Barn Swallow as well. Definitely not Kite.

I have it as an Oriental Pratincole. Robust body, wing size, size and head of shape and bill, and if you zoom in you can see that the underparts are light in contrast to the dark wings (as they would be in the BS).

Oriental Pratincole. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

I originally thought Barn Swallow as well.

thats funny, cos on shape i immediatley had it to be an Oriental Pratincole.. Until i noticed the broad dark (as it appears on my monitor) breast band & much darker neck in relation to the rest of its body. The 'long' wings did bother me, but in some situations & from certain angles particularly when flaying their wings, a Swallow can attain this shape.

only the breeding adults Joe. Non-breeders, Juvs & immatures... no.

got any more pics ?

thats funny, cos on shape i immediatley had it to be an Oriental Pratincole.. Until i noticed the broad dark (as it appears on my monitor) breast band & much darker neck in relation to the rest of its body. The 'long' wings did bother me, but in some situations & from certain angles particularly when flaying their wings, a Swallow can attain this shape.

got any more pics ?

I didn't join in this discussion earlier as I'd already seen the pic, and told Joe I hadn't a clue what it was. I dismissed the idea of Barn Swallow because of the length of the wings in proportion to the body... I can't see the markings you mention, Goshawk. My feeling is that it is a Pratincole... and AjarnNorth and I have told Joe to go and have another look!

got any more pics ?

I didn't join in this discussion earlier as I'd already seen the pic, and told Joe I hadn't a clue what it was. I dismissed the idea of Barn Swallow because of the length of the wings in proportion to the body... I can't see the markings you mention, Goshawk. My feeling is that it is a Pratincole... and AjarnNorth and I have told Joe to go and have another look!

Yes, the wings look absolutely all wrong to be an O. Prat, but I still feel that's what it is. I take a lot of photos and I'm not very good at it. As a result, I sometimes get lucky and get great shots, but sometimes get really grainy blurry silhouettes, so I am pretty familiar with how photos can be useful for IDs but sometimes can distort the bird in such a way as to make it appear to be something it's not, or remove a feature (or a color!) that would if present make the ID easy.

The morning after looking at the pic in question, I was standing directly below a group of Oriental Pratincoles and that's when I thought of Joe's pic and thought that's what it was. Lots of O. Prats in my area right now, breeding plumage.

I have a mystery bird or two I will try to post today.

Female Pied Harrier?

I don't have books with me as I'm at work now, but I think that was my best guess at the time. These pics go back to March. I have Pied Harriers here at Huai Saneng, and have seen and photo's adule males, which are of course pretty easy to ID.

Any input appreciated.

post-91156-0-32919800-1306990382_thumb.j

post-91156-0-23403400-1306990397_thumb.j

post-91156-0-56841100-1306990409_thumb.j

^ absolutely right AjarnNorth.. although its important to note that your bird is a Juvenile - much darker, above & below, than the adult.

i like the head on shot, can really see their characteristic 'owl like' face.

^ absolutely right AjarnNorth.. although its important to note that your bird is a Juvenile - much darker, above & below, than the adult.

Thanks, Goshawk. I was fairly certain, based on some correspondence I'd previously had with Isanbirder (who has been a huge help to me from the get go) regarding female Pied H's... and in fact after posting had tried to post again to say "Juvenile" Female, but my internet connection is sketchy at best and I couldn't get back on. Great to have a second opinion.

48 painted storks three days ago. Hundreds of Openbill. Would love to hear more from you, where you are, what you are seeing and not seeing. Feel free to PM and i will send you my monthly "round ups."

Looking to learn.

Thanks, Goshawk. I was fairly certain, based on some correspondence I'd previously had with Isanbirder (who has been a huge help to me from the get go) regarding female Pied H's... and in fact after posting had tried to post again to say "Juvenile" Female, but my internet connection is sketchy at best and I couldn't get back on. Great to have a second opinion.

48 painted storks three days ago. Hundreds of Openbill. Would love to hear more from you, where you are, what you are seeing and not seeing. Feel free to PM and i will send you my monthly "round ups."

Looking to learn.

Seen this morning at Suan Nok Nam 'No Hunting area' in Buriram

Yellow Bittern

Cinnamon Bittern

Purple Swamp Hen

Whistling Duck

white breasted waterhen

Little cormorant

Dark Necked Tailor Bird

Common Iora

Baya Weavers

Bronze Winged Jacana

Chestnut Munia

Grey Heron

Lineated Barbet

Hoopoe

Treepee

green bee eater

blue tailed bee eater

A very pale small looking warbler?? Heard some woodpeckers and saw a falcon of some sort that didn't hang around long enough to be identified!

plus a big, very fast snake and a weasel/marten of some sort.

All in all a very nice spot to have breakfast!!

Edited by easethesqueeze

• 2 weeks later...
post-91156-0-63064000-1308544474_thumb.jNice butterfly! Attached not one of the best pics I have ever taken, but certainly one of the most beautiful birds I have had in my patch. Oriental Darter, 19 June 2011, Huai Saneng, Surin Edited by AjarnNorth

Ajarn North, I've seen darters... at a distance and at close range.... and 'beautiful' is the last thing I'd call them! Rare and exciting, yes, but not beautiful!

Angiud, why not start a thread on butterflies and moths... you might be surprised at the response.

Isanbirder, Eye of the beholder and all that, I suppose. You say tomato, I say beautiful, as Billie Holiday may have put it. I stay with beautiful. But I think pterodactyls are beautiful... or is it Pterosaurs? ... I don't have a guide book on flying reptiles of the Triassic period to hand. (And I've not seen either.)

Angiud, I think Isanbirder is right. Start thread on moths and butterflies... or insects in general. I will chime in with pics (but be of no help with IDs as yet)

Great site/blog on insects in Thailand: www.thaibugs.com

Highly recommend.

Isanbirder, Eye of the beholder and all that, I suppose. You say tomato, I say beautiful, as Billie Holiday may have put it. I stay with beautiful. But I think pterodactyls are beautiful... or is it Pterosaurs? ... I don't have a guide book on flying reptiles of the Triassic period to hand. (And I've not seen either.)

I'm glad you don't claim to have seen a pterodactyl... that would get me really worried!

As a friend in England used to say when a rare bird turned up, "It blows my mind!" It always made me think of collecting birds' eggs; when you blow one, the shell is empty!

Angiud, I think Isanbirder is right. Start thread on moths and butterflies... or insects in general. I will chime in with pics (but be of no help with IDs as yet)
Angiud, why not start a thread on butterflies and moths... you might be surprised at the response.

I post every week some new pic here: , but, apart from the beginning, now I'm almost alone ;)

I post every week some new pic here: http://www.thaivisa....e/page__st__120 , but, apart from the beginning, now I'm almost alone ;)

Maybe you should try this regional thread; I for one never look at the photo forum.

• 1 year later...