BANGKOK 21 May 2019 01:23

Kwon,

That seems to be the general rule of thumb.... I'm going for 1.5 m up and 50cm girth for first tapping... I can wait. Good luck on yours!

I guess the size of the tree when you start tapping has more to do with the size of your bank balance than the tree. In my case I should have waited another year before we started tapping, but there was no money left and the idea of gainful employment was not on my to do list. This year we have opened another 600 or there about new trees and stopped tapping about 200 trees that where not doing to well. So keep in mind that just because you open smaller trees it does not mean they are doomed to under producing for ever. You can always stop tapping. As I said earlier tree condition can be more important than tree size. Remember that the size recomended is for Thai farmers and they rarely cut the branches to the 3 metre mark, more often than not only as far as they can reach. Their trees will be shorter with thicker trunks, your trees will be thiner and taller, but probably have more mass. Jim

Thai farmers rarely cut the branches to the 3 metre mark, more often than not only as far as they can reach. Their trees will be shorter with thicker trunks, your trees will be thiner and taller, but probably have more mass. Jim

You know what Jim, now that you have said that, what had always puzzled me with our trees has been answered. I had previously put it down to poor early year fertilisers. For the new ones, i will invest in some decent full length loppers.

I guess the size of the tree when you start tapping has more to do with the size of your bank balance than the tree. In my case I should have waited another year before we started tapping, but there was no money left and the idea of gainful employment was not on my to do list. This year we have opened another 600 or there about new trees and stopped tapping about 200 trees that where not doing to well. So keep in mind that just because you open smaller trees it does not mean they are doomed to under producing for ever. You can always stop tapping. As I said earlier tree condition can be more important than tree size. Remember that the size recomended is for Thai farmers and they rarely cut the branches to the 3 metre mark, more often than not only as far as they can reach. Their trees will be shorter with thicker trunks, your trees will be thiner and taller, but probably have more mass. Jim

Now there's a good point. I know of no less than 8 plantation owners who did just that... start too soon.... and tapped what they could frugally. The 2 and rest one rule was thrown out and the new (early) rule was applied to twice a week. Then there's that organic "medicine" applied to the tapped area on it's "days off". Cutting "sucker" branches to 2 - 2.5m works well - kind of an in-between tree develops. Scott

Kwon,

That seems to be the general rule of thumb.... I'm going for 1.5 m up and 50cm girth for first tapping... I can wait. Good luck on yours!

That's the way Thai farmers usually go for, if they are not in big need of money. Most "new" farmers start tapping too early. (...hiu stang...)

fatfather

Kwon,

That's the way Thai farmers usually go for, if they are not in big need of money. Most "new" farmers start tapping too early. (...hiu stang...)

fatfather

Indeed fat, indeed.... the greed factor plays a huge role.

TY VM for the the initative to make a running page for peope who already have plantantations.

May we hope that the : I told you, I read somewhere... non informing posts will not show. Also may the tread be not plongended by posters who qoute quoetes that qouetes posts that are of miniscule or none value. But most importantly - the season has started - so would like to get to know how much you earn pr. tree/week/month/season. And the history behind that.

Thanks

philo

Yes, but no two farms are the same. So it is difficult to make comparisons.

So, I think you should start us off by letting us know how much your farm is making per tree/day/week/month.

Regards,

Chang35baht.

Edited by chang35baht

As chang says , no two farms are the same. Weather difference over 25 miles can make a huge difference as well as the man who is out there doing the work and buying the materials needed.

I once laughed when a visiting city fellow asked a rancher "how many cows and calves do you have"? The rancher replied, "Would you answer if I asked you how much money you had"? Of course this being Thailand I have been asked both questions too many times to count.

No comparison between rubber plantations over Thailand would ever be similar.

To compare nett revenues these are just some of the variables that may occur :

1. Cost of servicing the original purchase price of land, its clearing and sapling price. Allowing for the fact that you could have invested that sum elsewhere.

2. Different fertiliser costs/mixes and quantities used per rai

3. Age of trees, height and girth.

4. Mono cropping or intercropping revenues added back

5. Different variation of rubber trees, rim 600's,251's etc

6. Different soils, different drainage, different weather patterns – rain stops tapping (bit like cricket !)

7. Irrigation techniques and rain guards to increase tapping cycles

8. Two cut one off, or three cut one off

9. Three panel tree cut or two panel cut.

10. Latex inducements or not.

11. % split with tappers 60/40 less 10% costs,straight 60/40 or straight 50/50

12. Different market prices, government, middle man or agents.

13. Daily/weekly/monthly pricing variances

14. Cup rubber, sheet rubber or smoked sheet prices

15. Is the nett return per rai or per tree – I know my preference !

The list goes on.

If you really want to find out how your plantation is performing, see how your neighbours comparable farm is doing. Its not about the $ received its all about the Kg's. Then divide the Kg's tapped each month by the number of trees.Simple maths really. It will vary between .7kg per month in the early years toover 1kg per month in later years for Rimm 600's anyway.

No comparison between rubber plantations over Thailand would ever be similar.

To compare nett revenues these are just some of the variables that may occur :

1. Cost of servicing the original purchase price of land, its clearing and sapling price. Allowing for the fact that you could have invested that sum elsewhere.

2. Different fertiliser costs/mixes and quantities used per rai

3. Age of trees, height and girth.

4. Mono cropping or intercropping revenues added back

5. Different variation of rubber trees, rim 600's,251's etc

6. Different soils, different drainage, different weather patterns – rain stops tapping (bit like cricket !)

7. Irrigation techniques and rain guards to increase tapping cycles

8. Two cut one off, or three cut one off

9. Three panel tree cut or two panel cut.

10. Latex inducements or not.

11. % split with tappers 60/40 less 10% costs,straight 60/40 or straight 50/50

12. Different market prices, government, middle man or agents.

13. Daily/weekly/monthly pricing variances

14. Cup rubber, sheet rubber or smoked sheet prices

15. Is the nett return per rai or per tree – I know my preference !

The list goes on.

If you really want to find out how your plantation is performing, see how your neighbours comparable farm is doing. Its not about the $ received its all about the Kg's. Then divide the Kg's tapped each month by the number of trees.Simple maths really. It will vary between .7kg per month in the early years toover 1kg per month in later years for Rimm 600's anyway.

Very well put, I shake my head and laugh ever time I see someone write and say , I am planting x number of Rai how much money will I make. The anwser is probably nothing because they haven't a clue whay they are getting into. Jim

As chang says , no two farms are the same. Weather difference over 25 miles can make a huge difference as well as the man who is out there doing the work and buying the materials needed.

I once laughed when a visiting city fellow asked a rancher "how many cows and calves do you have"? The rancher replied, "Would you answer if I asked you how much money you had"? Of course this being Thailand I have been asked both questions too many times to count.

Agreed, slapout plus all the other variables: how much fertilizer, the type of trees, the soil, the grade, and a big one in my book - the tappers.

Well for a starter - my ex wife has ca 5000 threes aged 1 to 8. Last season 600 8yo was giving THB 20000 Gross pr/mnt. for 8 mnt. The other 500 7yo was giving THB 8000 pr/mnt for 8 mnt.

Soethnh is wrong here, i will know in the end of the month whre the batches are for sale ( 2 differenr plots).

PS The reason I care is that i have to pay for house allimony/kids,car until she is self sufficient. Unless I start this study know she will never be ...

Agreed, slapout plus all the other variables: how much fertilizer, the type of trees, the soil, the grade, and a big one in my book - the tappers.

This is not rocketscience. As most of farangs are not there when fertilizing is done, weeding, buying of 8 yo threes, soil being giving to poor families 100' of years ago, ather they depleenishing it 10's of yeas and if the Tappers have a PhD from Kaosarn, your information is at most showing what elements are inNNvolved at most basic plan. What I would like is REAL stories and CONCRTE and TECNICAL advise. TY

Edited by philo