Rubber Trees

Hi Guys

Ive just recently purchased 25 Rai or rimm 600 rubber trees over here in Sukhothai and the inlaws are working it as they used to work 4600 trees down in Chumpon .With the end of the wet season coming soon i was wondering how much NPK to fertilize them with ; eg grams per tree.

The inlaws have told me we should use 1 kilo per tree but after reading as many threads as i have i can't find any info on what others are reccomending .

Also is there any problems with over or under fertilizing as i would hate to kill my trees .

Any feed back would be appreciated

cheers

FEZZY

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys

Ive just recently purchased 25 Rai or rimm 600 rubber trees over here in Sukhothai and the inlaws are working it as they used to work 4600 trees down in Chumpon .With the end of the wet season coming soon i was wondering how much NPK to fertilize them with ; eg grams per tree.

The inlaws have told me we should use 1 kilo per tree but after reading as many threads as i have i can't find any info on what others are reccomending .

Also is there any problems with over or under fertilizing as i would hate to kill my trees .

cheers

FEZZY

Fezzy go to the Agriculture advisor in your local Amphor and get the booklet. Fertilizing trees that are being tapped is different than when they are growing. The advisor will tell you what;s best for you. Jim

Hi Guys

cheers

FEZZY

Fezzy go to the Agriculture advisor in your local Amphor and get the booklet. Fertilizing trees that are being tapped is different than when they are growing. The advisor will tell you what;s best for you. Jim

Also it's a good idea to bring a good number of soil samples to the provincial agricultural dept. that covers soil testing and (free) advice for what fertilizers are needed for what cash crop or plantation.

Ken and Mobaan

Seems I was mistaken when I said we did not use the stuff when we planted. We in fact used it on some trees and not others. Even today some locals use it and others don't. The Aunt planted 5 Rai a few weeks ago and didn't. There appears to be a logic [if you can use that word in Thailand] behind it. Now with all things here when I ask questions half the answer is lost in translation or the informant makes things up so as to not lose face by not knowing. Ergo what I say may or may not be the real facts.

The belief is that many of the things that attack young rubber are a southern problem, these fungis etc have not infested the new planting areas of Issan, so there is no need to protect against them. You only need to poison if you are planting on land that has been used for certain other crops which have attracted termites and other unknown beasties. I can't say if this is right or wrong, but I can say I haven't seen any difference in my trees between the poisoned and nonpoisoned, nor have there been story's of locals having problems when they have not used the stuff.

Mobaan sorry can't help on the moth balls, may be just don't bother with the poison. Jim

Jim:

that makes sense, all the nurseries around my area are run by southern transplants so it follow's that they would use planting techniques they are familiar with.

That said the 32 Rai I just planted was formerly a ecu plantation so even with digging with a backhoe and plowing three time there are still a lot of small roots in the soil so I used the Furadan, don't know if it's neccesay but that's the system the wife and the family are used to and I know trying to change it will only raise my blood pressure and accomplish no changes in their thinking. 3100 trees planted and no dead one's yet,knock on wood.

Ken

Hi Guys

cheers

FEZZY

Also it's a good idea to bring a good number of soil samples to the provincial agricultural dept. that covers soil testing and (free) advice for what fertilizers are needed for what cash crop or plantation.

Thanks guys for the info and i will go to my local amphor next time im up there as im back in OZ for a couple of months trying to fattern my wallet up again at the moment .As im not up there i was just trying to get aball park figure of what an average dosage would be per tree so ive got a second opinion by some farmers with hands on experience

Cheers

FEZZY

Hi Guys

cheers

FEZZY

Thanks guys for the info and i will go to my local amphor next time im up there as im back in OZ for a couple of months trying to fattern my wallet up again at the moment .As im not up there i was just trying to get aball park figure of what an average dosage would be per tree so ive got a second opinion by some farmers with hands on experience

Cheers

FEZZY

Fezzy don't think your problem is fertilizer, your in-laws could either go to the Amphor Office or attend one of the village meetings when the adviser comes and does talks on rubber. If they are tapping your trees they should be paying for the fertilizer out of the rubber money, so let them throw it around it won't hurt the trees if there is a bit more used than is needed. Jim

Thanks everybody about the Furadan question, still did not decide if I want to use it or not -will see.

Something else is on my mind now . I brought an earthauger with a 8 inch auger from the US to make the planting holes .

Its a far cry from the "recommended" 50x50x50 cm hole ,but I can make a hole easy by myself in 10 seconds flat -2.5 foot deep.It certauinly is big enough to accommodate the tree seedling , but admittedly does not leave much room to add compost to the back fill .

The soil is well prepared and soft enough for the roots to grow in -so what is the deal with those large planting holes??

Hi there all rubber farmers.

We just strated our first tapping season with about 2000 RRIM600 trees, still have 3-4 years until all 7000 are grown.

When you try to ask the locals how much rubber its going to give and so on, we always get the same answers, "hard to tell, it depends - Milo?, Mapenrai?!, Sabai sabai!!".

It must differ a lot depending on where you have your farm, specialy when you see the big trees in the southern Thailand and the smaller one we have in Isaan area.

Is there any of you that are tapping your trees in the Isaan area, our farm is in Udon district.

What are your experince, of your farm?

What is your normal tapping season?

I have read somwhere that the first year of tapping a tree it will give about 60% of the normal coming 30 years, is it true?.

What tapping schedule are you working with?

I have herard mainly 3 types of schedules.

3tap - 1rest day

2tap - 1rest day

And the one that I read somewhere, and I think it sounds good.

Take about 1400 trees, divide theme by 3. That gives about 450 trees for one emplye, and thats what he can tap in one night.

Mon tap section A 450 trees, Tue tap section B, Wed tap section C. Thu section A again, Fri section B again, Sat section C. Sunday Sabai sabai.

What schedule do you use, and how many trees do you need to tap for one 1kg latex liquid?

Or if you prefere rubber lump, how much 1kg lump.

So come on lets talk some experince!

Best regards

Sonny

Sonny,I have ONE employe,who taps 800 plus trees in THREE hours...Regarding lump,mats and so on,I do not want to´comment on that for the moment;not ready to pick up that discussion again.(check earlier posts...)

Sorry,I meant to go on and say,that if it were me,I would have two employes,who worked together to cut all the 1400 trees for two days in a row,and then paus on the third day.As I have said before,it is not a hard work,although skill is needed,and it is cool and nice in the night,compared to daytime work.But for some strange reason,people have been used to demand very high payment,compared to the payment for other kinds of work...

Thanks everybody about the Furadan question, still did not decide if I want to use it or not -will see.

Something else is on my mind now . I brought an earthauger with a 8 inch auger from the US to make the planting holes .

Its a far cry from the "recommended" 50x50x50 cm hole ,but I can make a hole easy by myself in 10 seconds flat -2.5 foot deep.It certauinly is big enough to accommodate the tree seedling , but admittedly does not leave much room to add compost to the back fill .

The soil is well prepared and soft enough for the roots to grow in -so what is the deal with those large planting holes??

Mobaan the hole size is to just to make a big pot in the hard ground, soft soil for the roots to spread, contain the water and fertilizer. if you have done a good job and the soil is all broken up the 8 inch hole should be fine. Jim

Hi, thanks for your aswer.

What area and what trees are you talkin about.

When you say 7kg, are you talkin about liquid or lump?

Thanks again

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

7000 trees is a good amount, I have about the same. You can live sabai-sabai on it for 18 - 30 years depending how soon you started tapping. 7 trees per kg (conservative number).

Hi again, thanks for all quick answers.

Sound VERY much with 800 trees in 3 hour, but as my whife always say "I don't understad nothing".

But it's impressive if the manage 4-5 trees / minute.

Today we have 2 skilled an 1 family trainee, they tap all the 2000 trees for 2-3 days and then testing for 1-2 days. Depending on raining or not.

We just started last month and haven't got any rubber to talk about yet, some trees only give a spone or so / taping. But this is normal when you start, everybody say.

Were is your area Bosse, also Isaan or?

Thanks

Sonny

Sorry,I meant to go on and say,that if it were me,I would have two employes,who worked together to cut all the 1400 trees for two days in a row,and then paus on the third day.As I have said before,it is not a hard work,although skill is needed,and it is cool and nice in the night,compared to daytime work.But for some strange reason,people have been used to demand very high payment,compared to the payment for other kinds of work...

Hi Guys

cheers

FEZZY

Fezzy,

How old are your trees ?

If they are old trees putting too much fertiliser on just wastes money, too young and you get growth spurts that can make them grow tall before the trunk is adequately strong enough to prevent them from leaning overrrr.

Additionally you need to consider the age of your trees as it also determines the nutrient mix of the fertiliser to get optimum yields (if thats ever possible).

Just how you apply your fertiliser is another matter, many locals here just throw it around the tree s as if they are feeding chickens. Personally, I am not a fan of that style of application due to Nitrogen loss to the atmosphere. Even now, 20 year old trees

we still dig fertiliser holes between the tree line and also buried down the middle of the 7m strips, which, at that age, is where the tree roots extend to and beyond.

Sonny! My trees are 50 km from Chumpae,Isaan,where I also live.Yes, I agree,that IS impressive! But he is a young man with good skills,unlike me,myself. I am 68 years old and it is 50 years since I had a physical kind of work,so for me to do the same work,it takes 7-8 hours....Although I love it !Lately I have had to slow down because of some healthissues and I miss it very much..If you not yet have done so,try it yourself,if you are healthy enough to work. Good luck!!

Thanks again

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

7000 trees is a good amount, I have about the same. You can live sabai-sabai on it for 18 - 30 years depending how soon you started tapping. 7 trees per kg (conservative number).

Ummmm... I wish 7 kgs. per tree!!!!! Please re-read my above reply.

Hi all

Know some of you love to number crunch, not my style. To me it all comes down to how much rubber and the price per kilo. Today we sold our first RSS for the season plus the beading and scrap rubber. For those who are really not up to speed on how it works. We opened our trees about 6 weeks ago, and no usable latex was produced for the first 2 weeks, only cup, which we sold. So the numbers are for the last 4 weeks. RSS 1374 kilos plus 71 kilos of beading and scrap rubber. We lost 4 days of tapping due to rain. and there is another 100 plus kilos that have not been smoked yet, in the shed. In my book a good start to the season as the trees output will continue to rise over the coming months.

Government price paid RSS 141.75 Baht a kilo. Beading and scrap 88 Baht a kilo.

Before anyone asks how many trees, I don;t know, never counted how many we are tapping, somewhere over 3000 but less than 4000. for those who like figures on rubber per tree day, month, rai or lunar cycle knock you self out. Jim Correction beading and scrap rubber sold to private buyer.

Hi all

Know some of you love to number crunch, not my style. To me it all comes down to how much rubber and the price per kilo. Today we sold our first RSS for the season plus the beading and scrap rubber. For those who are really not up to speed on how it works. We opened our trees about 6 weeks ago, and no usable latex was produced for the first 2 weeks, only cup, which we sold. So the numbers are for the last 4 weeks. RSS 1374 kilos plus 71 kilos of beading and scrap rubber. We lost 4 days of tapping due to rain. and there is another 100 plus kilos that have not been smoked yet, in the shed. In my book a good start to the season as the trees output will continue to rise over the coming months.

Before anyone asks how many trees, I don;t know, never counted how many we are tapping, somewhere over 3000 but less than 4000. for those who like figures on rubber per tree day, month, rai or lunar cycle knock you self out. Jim Correction beading and scrap rubber sold to private buyer.

Thats great news Jim, glad to see your at long last reaping the benefits.

On those figures they fall in line with what I have been preaching through this thread, Scot and Clive I hope you can see that your figures were too conservative.

Jims total kgs for 4 weeks 1545kg. So if Jims doing 2 on 1 off its 21 days tapping, so missing 4 days is 20% of his output is lost. So add back 20% to the total 1545kg would give 1854kg. Divide 1854g by say 3500 trees gives about .54kg per tree that month. Factor in that the rainy season is not a high yield month, the uncertainty of the number of trees and Jims trees are young and the figures stack up.

Well on form from what I can see, just wait until October thats our best month, you'll have a big smile on your face then. :)

Sorry, I mixed the 7 and kg.

Yes, it would have been vice to get 7kg latex liquid from each tree, maybee its time to do some pipelines to every tree!

I just didn't understad if your 1 kg for about 7 trees was liquid or lump?

Regards Sonny

Thanks again

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

Hi Jim, very intressting facts!

I understand as time goes by the numbers are playing a smaller part, and you relay on your experince.

But as a newbe the numbers are all I got, I hope I can give some more experince back in the future.

Are you doing your smoking by your self?

If so, how many employes, or should we say manhoures do you need for this?

I have only seen some pctures of houses for smoking.

Pleas tell me more about the process.

In our area the most farmers only sell lump, and mayee some sun dried sheets, but none I have seen take it all the way to RSS.

Best Regards

Sonny

Hi all

Hallo all! I have a preliminary report. First,my machines have not been in work for some time and I am ashamed to say,that i have neglected to take care of them.But based on earlier results over the years,the weight of the mats was 1.0-1.3 kg,so I use that as a norm.We used 4 kg latex,when we produced the mats before.(Am fixing the machines now and will do a more thorough test soon.)Now to the test I have done:I took 4 kg of latex,fresh from the trees and put it back in 8 cups,which stayed on the trees as usual.After the usual time,when it was time to sell,I collected it,put it in a sack (as usual) and next day, when I normally would have sold it,I checked the weight again:2.75 kg. That day,the price was 77 Baht/kg,which means,that I would have recieved 211.75 Baht.Compare to what I would have had got for mats with a price of 142 Baht/kg x1,3kg is 184 Baht..Now,there is a margin for error,but to me the verdict is clear;no reason to put on a lot of extra costs and work! As everybodu knows,a good test must be one,that anybody can do,so for those who think I not tell the truth;go ahead and check youself!! It must also be added,that perhaps there are local variations when it comes to how the price is set;I am talking of how it is here,where I sell my stuff.It should also be said,that there can be other reasons for making mats instead of cup lump,one being expectations of rising price.To James and all,you do not have to agree on this and I have no time to prolong this discussion,but I promised to let you know what I would find out.So,everyone to his own,good luck all!

Hey Tothemark

Trees in my 1st plot of 25 rai are 8 - 9 years old and in their 2nd year of tapping and ive also got 23 rai of 1 -2 year old trees aswell . I was just chasing some sort of measurement of fertizer for these two plots

I agree with you in digging the fertilizer in too as it makes sense so as not to waste too much , instead of the chicken feeding method but the inlaws are set in their ways and believe in this method from their years of tapping down in Chumpon where their BIG BOSS who owns 1000s of rai was dead against it .

Seems like different horses for different courses

cheers for the feedback

fezzy

post-126029-0-41896300-1308135876_thumb.

As usual,I forgot something I wanted to add.Tothemark:I made the calculation on MY 21 latest days,and it came up with 1.31 kg/ tree.That number,to be clear,is the number sold and got paid for.(Cup lump).Medium price: 75.29 Baht. Again,compare to mats...I am aware,that different trees in different areas can have a different output.But I never made so much money before even taking in consideration ,that prices have gone up.

Hi all Tothemark you are right about Oct. last year we almost hit the 2000 kilos, hope to psaa that this year. Sonny Google collister rubber or youtube my name, have video of making sheet, Bossie as long as you are happy the way you do things that;s all that matters. Now it;s time to have our worker boss drink, see you tomorrow. Jim

Sorry, I mixed the 7 and kg.

Yes, it would have been vice to get 7kg latex liquid from each tree, maybee its time to do some pipelines to every tree!

I just didn't understad if your 1 kg for about 7 trees was liquid or lump?

Regards Sonny

Thanks again

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

Sonny,

Just a rule of thumb there for 7:kg. in liquid latex.

Hallo all! I have a preliminary report. First,my machines have not been in work for some time and I am ashamed to say,that i have neglected to take care of them.But based on earlier results over the years,the weight of the mats was 1.0-1.3 kg,so I use that as a norm.We used 4 kg latex,when we produced the mats before.(Am fixing the machines now and will do a more thorough test soon.)Now to the test I have done:I took 4 kg of latex,fresh from the trees and put it back in 8 cups,which stayed on the trees as usual.After the usual time,when it was time to sell,I collected it,put it in a sack (as usual) and next day, when I normally would have sold it,I checked the weight again:2.75 kg. That day,the price was 77 Baht/kg,which means,that I would have recieved 211.75 Baht.Compare to what I would have had got for mats with a price of 142 Baht/kg x1,3kg is 184 Baht..Now,there is a margin for error,but to me the verdict is clear;no reason to put on a lot of extra costs and work! As everybodu knows,a good test must be one,that anybody can do,so for those who think I not tell the truth;go ahead and check youself!! It must also be added,that perhaps there are local variations when it comes to how the price is set;I am talking of how it is here,where I sell my stuff.It should also be said,that there can be other reasons for making mats instead of cup lump,one being expectations of rising price.To James and all,you do not have to agree on this and I have no time to prolong this discussion,but I promised to let you know what I would find out.So,everyone to his own,good luck all!

Bosse,

A quick one for you.... I don't remember how many trees you have but in my case i'll have a bit over 7000 trees and I have the opportunity to buy rubber (almost) daily from relatives plots (for a total equal to 8000 trees / liquid latex per day). I still plan to build a small rubber sheet factory in hopes of making a decent profit during our second year - this is with a "buffer" fund kept as well. With an amount like this, do you not think this may be worth the extra hassle? I have a group of dedicated people that are willing to work for this....

Sorry, I hope you don't mind asking... What went wrong with your machines?

Regards,

Scott

Hi all

Thanks for all the numbers Jim. Especially as you would obviously prefer to be getting on with life, instead of maths.

For those of us waiting patiently for our first pay-day, this is all we have to by.

My simple calculation indicates about 1500kg rubber from about 45 rai in 1 month.

Or 12000 - 14000kg per year.

That is about 300 kg/rai/year.

Tell me if I am wrong please?

Clive

Hi all

Thanks for all the numbers Jim. Especially as you would obviously prefer to be getting on with life, instead of maths.

For those of us waiting patiently for our first pay-day, this is all we have to by.

My simple calculation indicates about 1500kg rubber from about 45 rai in 1 month.

Clive

Hi Clive,

Sorry to do parrot fashion, but how many trees do you have on 45rai ? Can I presume 80 per rai if thats the case, 3600 trees. Your first year will be hit or miss but should be around 480 kg/rai year/ increasing to 800kg/rai year circa 12 year +.

Hi all

Clive

Hi Clive,

Sorry to do parrot fashion, but how many trees do you have on 45rai ? Can I presume 80 per rai if thats the case, 3600 trees. Your first year will be hit or miss but should be around 480 kg/rai year/ increasing to 800kg/rai year circa 12 year +.

Hi tothemark,

I have 3886 trees on 49 rai.

Although most are RRIM600 there are also JVP80 and RRIT261.

If I were to make 480kg/rai/year I would be over he moon.

As for 800, i will, for now, put that in the category of "pink flying pigs"

Clive

Archived