Pattaya Bus Crash On Bang Na Trat Kills Two And Injures 27

webfact

Pattaya bus crash on Bang NaTrat kills two

By The Nation

30155380-01.jpg

A Bangkokbound public bus crashed into a pillar on Bang NaTrat Expressway yesterday morning, claiming two lives and injuring 27 passengers

Bus driver Kitisak Piswong, 51, and a female passenger were killed instantly.

Of the 27 injured, six were in serious condition last night. The bus, with several foreigners on board, was heading for Bangkok from Pattaya in Chon Buri province. Initial investigation suggested that the bus driver might have been speeding and had to swerve suddenly to avoid another vehicle, which forced the crash. The bus was totalled in the accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-14

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take the bus from Pattaya to Bangkok all the time. From now on I will make sure to wear my seat belt (if there is one).

There's no seat belt. RIP for the deceased, let's hope the injured ones will have a speedy and fully recovery...:jap:

Dont tell me the bus was driving fast I would not believe it . :annoyed: Those buses drivers are totally insane, going to the sea very often I see those buses , mini van driving like maniacs with of course over speed , using the right lane all the time .... I cannot believe the passengers are in such "hands" , but as usual nothing will ever change here , how many dead , how many accidents ?

I take the bus from Pattaya to Bangkok all the time. From now on I will make sure to wear my seat belt (if there is one).

after taking a look at the debris.

if safety-belts worn , would be chances of injury?......

remarks:

i think it was under the expressway , chonburi-BKK.(from the pict.)

No safety-belts installed.(this sort of buses) safety-belts rarely seen.

@ your own risk ........ dude

Edited by dunkin2012

Is Their no safety in this county

Waiting for the correction :ph34r:

Of course if you are worried about your perosnal safety you can find a country that is totally safe. Not. Does not exist.

Bus crashes hapeen everywhere. Bus drivers everywhere still drive by the might is right rule with a few exceptions. That

relates to the smaller give way to the bigger.

You come to Thailand because it is less constrictive than your home country. In truth the rule are different but are what we

appreciate and why we live here.

Please send the forum an email from whichever country you find that is "safe". Dont forget to look at personal safety, crime statistics,

vehicle safety issues as well as driving ability and licencing plus the million and one other things that make this mythical country

you want to live in "safe".

And good luck

Yes there is.Given the thousands upon thousands of ROUTE bus movements a day in Thailand, the safety record is pretty da*n good,What is a problem is in the charter bus industry, too many cowboys drive.

totally agree with that comment ! good to see that not everyone living here is against Thailand. if you dont like it go home !

Dont tell me the bus was driving fast I would not believe it . :annoyed: Those buses drivers are totally insane, going to the sea very often I see those buses , mini van driving like maniacs with of course over speed , using the right lane all the time .... I cannot believe the passengers are in such "hands" , but as usual nothing will ever change here , how many dead , how many accidents ?

Bus driver in Thailand are crazy. Just yesterday i have a long trip from ventiane to bangkok a really scare to die! sad.gif

The most of time they not respect speed, distance from other vehicle, they move in street like a snake.

The driver of bus feel sleepy and nobody in bus take care i see his face look like sleep if i not say to stop maybe we die like this bus, after we stop in gasoline station i buy 2 redbull for him.unsure.gif

No more bus for me. annoyed.gif

The safest way to travel to Pattaya is a hire a private taxi with a good reputation of careful drivers , other than that I would prefer a bus over a taxi or mini bus.

To many cowboys drive cabs I have had a couple of trips where they have got up to 200 klm hr in the night , others that have been falling to sleep missing turns , another blew a tyre out at high speed.

What's the big hurry these bus drivers are in???

It's been raining and roads are slippery...don't these people have any sense of responsibility ???

Instead of spending billions of bt on money hand-outs pre-election the authorities should install GPS on all public transport to warn speeding drivers and penalize offenders.

Edited by SAMCHAROEN

Bus driver in Thailand are crazy. Just yesterday i have a long trip from ventiane to bangkok a really scare to die! sad.gif

The most of time they not respect speed, distance from other vehicle, they move in street like a snake.

The driver of bus feel sleepy and nobody in bus take care i see his face look like sleep if i not say to stop maybe we die like this bus, after we stop in gasoline station i buy 2 redbull for him.unsure.gif

No more bus for me. annoyed.gif

I always make a point if im going by road to buy the driver red bull or m150.....just for my own peace of mind, as long as they dont mix it with sangsom ! tit

I took buses in Thailand many times. I really do not understand how thai drivers do not respect people on board. they drive just like they are carrying pigs. not humans. if i drive a pigs truck I would definetely would be more careful as I would respect a living animal.

it is not possible to sleep . why I am surprised.? because this does not match thai people's nature of respect.

Yes there is.Given the thousands upon thousands of ROUTE bus movements a day in Thailand, the safety record is pretty da*n good,What is a problem is in the charter bus industry, too many cowboys drive.

This is not a tour bus, it is a regular scheduled bus from Ekamai bus station to Pattaya. There are too many bus crashes in Thailand although it is not as bad as it used to be. I can remember a time when every Songkran, when driving to Surin, you passed 3 or 4 bus crashes where the bus ended in the ditch.

This crash occured on Bangna Trad Road and reminds me of a similar crash I witnessed on this road back in 1997. I was travelling to Pattaya with my Wife by car and from behind me came an articulated container lorry travelling at high speed, weaving from inside lane to outside lane and back. I said to her "Many Thai drivers are so bad, they drive so dangerously". She said "You must not say that about another driver, just ignore this, that is the Thai way". I said "But he could lose control and kill someone, maybe us". She said "This Thai driver just has a different Technique". At that moment the driver lost control and the lorry went into the ditch in the central reservation and turned over. I said to her "Look I am right, it is bad driving". She said "No it is not, it is just end of Technique, next time he will try a different Technique!".

Thais... I love them.

Buses, and coaches ( still called a bus in Thailand ) in the UK and Australia have Speed limiters fitted to them If these are tampered with it is a heavy fine or imprisonment.

Lorries ( Trucks ) also have these fitted to them in the UK together with a sealed recorder to show how long the driver has been at the wheel and how many times he has had a break.

i got caught speeding 65/km/h in 60 zone and ended up with a big fine.

as serious as that...

hope they can do the same in TiT.

many cowboy drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

showing off Rodeo riding skills?

I hope the bus has many seat belts and I am sure it will save many lives when it crashes...

Take precaution if you travel and please get off if you feel uneasy. Good luck and thank you for sharing.

Edited by ryladie99

They should make it mandatory that the drivers have this picture posted in their bus in a place that they must look at it when they are in the driver's seat.

Good point...let's have Thai Visa campaign from now on. You are right and I agree with your post 100%..my take.

Just as a general observation, the bus in the accident is operated by Roong Ruang Coach, which operates between Pattaya and Bangkok (both Ekamai and Mor Chit).

I have been living in Pattaya for close to 18 years now, and, albeit memory doesn't get any better with age, I do not recall them having had an accident with casualties before. Obviously they did have the regular fender bender etc.

The same company also runs the airport bus service (from Thapraya road, opposite Pan Pan resto), and those all have 3 point seat belts. Lets hope it's a wake up call for them to increase driver vetting/testing and upgrade their other vehicles with seat belts .

If NCA don't go there; I don't go. They are the only Bus company in Thailand with Vehicles and drivers that can be trusted.

i have found NCA to be very good and notice the difference when i use other companies