Pattaya Bus Crash On Bang Na Trat Kills Two And Injures 27

webfact

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are with the families and friends of those who died and I hope that those injured make a speedy recovery. I agree with many other posters on this topic. I have used this bus company and travelled on the same route many times. I consider it to be a reputable and reliable company with many many safe hours of safe driving accrued. Sadly a momentary lapse of concentration her has resulted in tragic consequences. Road accidents worldwide acccount for more deaths and serious injuries than any other causal factor. This accident could just have easily happened in the UK, USA, France Germany or any other location that readers of THAI VISA Forum reside. Please posters, don't turn this into something that it is not!

Yes there is.Given the thousands upon thousands of ROUTE bus movements a day in Thailand, the safety record is pretty da*n good,What is a problem is in the charter bus industry, too many cowboys drive.

This is not a tour bus, it is a regular scheduled bus from Ekamai bus station to Pattaya. There are too many bus crashes in Thailand although it is not as bad as it used to be. I can remember a time when every Songkran, when driving to Surin, you passed 3 or 4 bus crashes where the bus ended in the ditch.

This crash occured on Bangna Trad Road and reminds me of a similar crash I witnessed on this road back in 1997. I was travelling to Pattaya with my Wife by car and from behind me came an articulated container lorry travelling at high speed, weaving from inside lane to outside lane and back. I said to her "Many Thai drivers are so bad, they drive so dangerously". She said "You must not say that about another driver, just ignore this, that is the Thai way". I said "But he could lose control and kill someone, maybe us". She said "This Thai driver just has a different Technique". At that moment the driver lost control and the lorry went into the ditch in the central reservation and turned over. I said to her "Look I am right, it is bad driving". She said "No it is not, it is just end of Technique, next time he will try a different Technique!".

Thais... I love them.

Was your wife's condition not a worry before you got married? I would have her sectioned :)

Post #23 said: "Buses, and coaches ( still called a bus in Thailand ) in the UK and Australia have Speed limiters fitted to them If these are tampered with it is a heavy fine or imprisonment."

In my opinion, this would fix allot, as it would effect the driver, but it may effect the profits of the Thai elites who have a monopoly on these services. So , will never happen. Stop thinking in the interest of safety, think how to make money only. Saftey = Idiot here.jap.gif

Post #24 said: "They should make it mandatory that the drivers have this picture posted in their bus in a place that they must look at it when they are in the driver's seat." Stop using western logic. Saftey = Idiot here. jap.gif

whistling.gif

My Thai wife calls them the Bus Mafia. They just don't care not only about their passengers but do not respect other road users. They stay in outside lane and if you are in front of them (in any lane) it is hand on the horn to tell you to get out of their way. I love Thailand but the general Thai driver let alone Bus drivers have no idea about driving rules. No lights on when raining, continue driving on right when can move in making the other users break the law by overtaking on the inside. Never a day goes by when I not see cars, buses, lorries and motorbikes go through red lights. If I first in line to go when lights go green I wait for about 5 seconds before I move on.

I agree with you about the traffic lights!

If I am first in line I look both ways before moving off on the green light because Often I see buses and lorries going through a red light at reckless speeds because they are going too fast to stop, I have also seen many accidents at traffic lights many of them fatal.

Worst one was a pick up loaded with workers early one morning . Their bodies( I counted 10 ) were thrown out onto the highway, some a long distance from their pick up. I presumed dead because nobody was trying to help their lifeless bodies.

In the UK we have traffic light cameras to catch people who drive through a red light.

Also Thais seem to be afraid to turn on their lights in poor light. Many will only turn them on when it is not possible to see the road ahead. ( maybe they eat a lot of carrots ? )

Are they afraid it will cost them money if they turn on their lights?

It was 2 years before I understood ( if that is the right word !!!) Thai driving and would never drive here.

Now I drive like a Thai ( but safer ) and no problem.

Always make sure my windows are closed at police checkpoints too. So they do not pick on the farang driver.

"Are they afraid it will cost them money if they turn on their lights?"

YESSSS, in all seriousness. One day, I stopped along side a busy road with wife, to talk to her brother, 50 yr old lifer in the Army. It was overcast and looking like it would rain, hence driving with the lights on. When he finished talking to us, he pointed at the headlights asked why I was wasting money running the headlights during day? He was as serious as a heart attack when he asked. This forced me into a 30 minute auto engine 101 discourse with the wife, that use of the electric system does not cost money, who without batting an eye swore her brother knew more than I do. BTW I am older than he is. When she didn't take my word over brothers, I finished with, "When we get home, show me the Isuzu electric bill you pay each month". Silence for the next 25 kilometers.

Edited by featography

My Thai wife calls them the Bus Mafia. They just don't care not only about their passengers but do not respect other road users. They stay in outside lane and if you are in front of them (in any lane) it is hand on the horn to tell you to get out of their way. I love Thailand but the general Thai driver let alone Bus drivers have no idea about driving rules. No lights on when raining, continue driving on right when can move in making the other users break the law by overtaking on the inside. Never a day goes by when I not see cars, buses, lorries and motorbikes go through red lights. If I first in line to go when lights go green I wait for about 5 seconds before I move on.

If I am first in line I look both ways before moving off on the green light because Often I see buses and lorries going through a red light at reckless speeds because they are going too fast to stop, I have also seen many accidents at traffic lights many of them fatal.

Worst one was a pick up loaded with workers early one morning . Their bodies( I counted 10 ) were thrown out onto the highway, some a long distance from their pick up. I presumed dead because nobody was trying to help their lifeless bodies.

In the UK we have traffic light cameras to catch people who drive through a red light.

Also Thais seem to be afraid to turn on their lights in poor light. Many will only turn them on when it is not possible to see the road ahead. ( maybe they eat a lot of carrots ? )

It was 2 years before I understood ( if that is the right word !!!) Thai driving and would never drive here.

Always make sure my windows are closed at police checkpoints too. So they do not pick on the farang driver.

YESSSS, in all seriousness. One day, I stopped along side a busy road with wife, to talk to her brother, 50 yr old lifer in the Army. It was overcast and looking like it would rain, hence driving with the lights on. When he finished talking to us, he pointed at the headlights asked why I was wasting money running the headlights during day? He was as serious as a heart attack when he asked. This forced me into a 30 minute auto engine 101 discourse with the wife, that use of the electric system does not cost money, who without batting an eye swore her brother knew more than I do. BTW I am older than he is. When she didn't take my word over brothers, I finished with, "When we get home, show me the Isuzu electric bill you pay each month". Silence for the next 25 kilometers.

Don't show your wife this reply, but actually your brother -in-law is correct - although he probably does not understand why he is correct.

DRL's (Daylight Runnung Lights) have been mandatory in many countires for decades. In the United States, there was a strong lobby ( led by General Motors) to make them mandatory. This debate lasted for more than ten years, and included endless studies of safety effects, pollution increases and increased operating costs.

The studies on gas consumption were unanimous -- there was increased gas consumption caused by the operation of headlights during daylight hours, because of increased alternator load. The increase was miniscule, equivalent to the increased consumption of driving about 3 km/h faster, as I recall.

So --- it does cost money to turn on your headlights during the day . It should be noted that the same studies also showed greatly increased safety, especially in poor ambient lighting. I'd love to see DRL's in Thailand.

I know exactly what you mean .... Thai family are never wrong....she cant ever criticise her family and as for the silent treatment (sulk) I get that off my mrs the very same

So good to see that in the first page of replies about two deaths occuring, some goon managed to post "if you dont like it go home" .......congratulations.

Edited by Cobalt60

I take the bus from Pattaya to Bangkok all the time. From now on I will make sure to wear my seat belt (if there is one).

after taking a look at the debris.

if safety-belts worn , would be chances of injury?......

remarks:

i think it was under the expressway , chonburi-BKK.(from the pict.)

No safety-belts installed.(this sort of buses) safety-belts rarely seen.

@ your own risk ........ dude

Many of these buses do have safety belts in Thailand. Not sure if it is the newer ones, like appears to be in the picture above, but a number of them do have belts. I was surprised by this because I never heard of a bus in the US have seat belts. In fact, they continue to bring it up as a possibility every time a school bus gets in a crash but never happens. Not really sure what the thinking is in terms of believing buses don't need seat belts.

Edited by Nisa

I bet the biggest problems with these buses are their tight schedules. Have you noticed when taking these buses they usually arrive at the station just minutes before their next scheduled run? My guess is their schedule doesn't allow for traffic congestions or other possible delays. Maybe they should have less runs and not face any disciplinary actions if they are late but then I'm fairly confident that some here will then complain using the imagined premise that only in Thailand do buses run late and barely go the speed limit while staying in the slow lane the entire trip.

why are people complaining about the country.

if you would like everything the same as in the UK or australia or what ever country, then stay there and not go to thailand.

thailand is thailand and thai people are thai people and the thai way is the thai way.

that is why you all like the cuontry, the life there, the people and more.

if you change it all to your previous country, it will not be thai anymore and you go start complaining about that it is not thai anymore.

look in bkk, the smiles are already going away.

it looks more and more on a big western city in stead of a nice asian city.

just my 5 cents.

Hey... Pssst. Know one is complaining about the Country. As a matter of fact, I think that you will find that most of us love it.

What most are complaining about is the driving skills, the lack of that is of the vast majority of Thais. I would agree that it is not entirely their fault. As they have never had to learn to drive properly. In most cases.

jb1

I would dare to say that on average Thai drivers are more skilled than those in Western countries. NOT that they are better drivers but more skilled at least in the metro areas. One only need to look at the number of cars on the roads, the lack of traffic law enforcement, the lack of signs and traffic signals, lack of turn lanes, width of side streets, number of motorbikes.... and then consider having similar conditions in the west and how many accidents you would have.

I can't even fathom the police announcing a day off from tickets, as they did in BKK last year, in any major city in the west.

Drivers in Thailand tend to be considerably more alert and skilled than western drivers in my opinion. Not sure how many western drivers would do if they encountered another driver heading straight at them in the wrong lane as they come around a curve or over a hill .. or how they would fair if they had motorbikes on all sides over taking them as they try to make a turn. ... or dealing with all the u-turns/ entering traffic without traffic signals or stop signs .. or simply changing lanes with what only appears to be mental telepathy signals happening between drivers.

By no means is driving in this developing nations at the safety levels of first world nations but I would venture to guess that most western drivers don't have the skills needed to drive daily in and around a city like BKK.

Not something to laugh at I know,but reading this made laugh,cannot try new technique if dead!! Technique?? lol

Yes there is.Given the thousands upon thousands of ROUTE bus movements a day in Thailand, the safety record is pretty da*n good,What is a problem is in the charter bus industry, too many cowboys drive.

This is not a tour bus, it is a regular scheduled bus from Ekamai bus station to Pattaya. There are too many bus crashes in Thailand although it is not as bad as it used to be. I can remember a time when every Songkran, when driving to Surin, you passed 3 or 4 bus crashes where the bus ended in the ditch.

This crash occured on Bangna Trad Road and reminds me of a similar crash I witnessed on this road back in 1997. I was travelling to Pattaya with my Wife by car and from behind me came an articulated container lorry travelling at high speed, weaving from inside lane to outside lane and back. I said to her "Many Thai drivers are so bad, they drive so dangerously". She said "You must not say that about another driver, just ignore this, that is the Thai way". I said "But he could lose control and kill someone, maybe us". She said "This Thai driver just has a different Technique". At that moment the driver lost control and the lorry went into the ditch in the central reservation and turned over. I said to her "Look I am right, it is bad driving". She said "No it is not, it is just end of Technique, next time he will try a different Technique!".

Thais... I love them.

why are people complaining about the country.

if you would like everything the same as in the UK or australia or what ever country, then stay there and not go to thailand.

thailand is thailand and thai people are thai people and the thai way is the thai way.

that is why you all like the cuontry, the life there, the people and more.

if you change it all to your previous country, it will not be thai anymore and you go start complaining about that it is not thai anymore.

look in bkk, the smiles are already going away.

it looks more and more on a big western city in stead of a nice asian city.

just my 5 cents.

Hey... Pssst. Know one is complaining about the Country. As a matter of fact, I think that you will find that most of us love it.

What most are complaining about is the driving skills, the lack of that is of the vast majority of Thais. I would agree that it is not entirely their fault. As they have never had to learn to drive properly. In most cases.

jb1

I would dare to say that on average Thai drivers are more skilled than those in Western countries. NOT that they are better drivers but more skilled at least in the metro areas. One only need to look at the number of cars on the roads, the lack of traffic law enforcement, the lack of signs and traffic signals, lack of turn lanes, width of side streets, number of motorbikes.... and then consider having similar conditions in the west and how many accidents you would have.

I can't even fathom the police announcing a day off from tickets, as they did in BKK last year, in any major city in the west.

Drivers in Thailand tend to be considerably more alert and skilled than western drivers in my opinion. Not sure how many western drivers would do if they encountered another driver heading straight at them in the wrong lane as they come around a curve or over a hill .. or how they would fair if they had motorbikes on all sides over taking them as they try to make a turn. ... or dealing with all the u-turns/ entering traffic without traffic signals or stop signs .. or simply changing lanes with what only appears to be mental telepathy signals happening between drivers.

By no means is driving in this developing nations at the safety levels of first world nations but I would venture to guess that most western drivers don't have the skills needed to drive daily in and around a city like BKK.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

Don't show your wife this reply, but actually your brother -in-law is correct - although he probably does not understand why he is correct.

DRL's (Daylight Runnung Lights) have been mandatory in many countires for decades. In the United States, there was a strong lobby ( led by General Motors) to make them mandatory. This debate lasted for more than ten years, and included endless studies of safety effects, pollution increases and increased operating costs.

The studies on gas consumption were unanimous -- there was increased gas consumption caused by the operation of headlights during daylight hours, because of increased alternator load. The increase was miniscule, equivalent to the increased consumption of driving about 3 km/h faster, as I recall.

So --- it does cost money to turn on your headlights during the day . It should be noted that the same studies also showed greatly increased safety, especially in poor ambient lighting. I'd love to see DRL's in Thailand.

It appears that all new motor bikes being sold these days have lights the come on automatically when the engine is started. Lights cannot be switched off, will only go off when the ignition is switched off.

It appears that all new motor bikes being sold these days have lights the come on automatically when the engine is started. Lights cannot be switched off, will only go off when the ignition is switched off.

And what is the betting that some of the locals will just remove the bulb in the same way that they take off the mirrors?

post='4422446']

Is Their no safety in this county

Waiting for the correction :ph34r:

Of course if you are worried about your perosnal safety you can find a country that is totally safe. Not. Does not exist.

Bus crashes hapeen everywhere. Bus drivers everywhere still drive by the might is right rule with a few exceptions. That

relates to the smaller give way to the bigger.

You come to Thailand because it is less constrictive than your home country. In truth the rule are different but are what we

appreciate and why we live here.

Please send the forum an email from whichever country you find that is "safe". Dont forget to look at personal safety, crime statistics,

vehicle safety issues as well as driving ability and licencing plus the million and one other things that make this mythical country

you want to live in "safe".

And good luck

The UK

Ha ha . No way. The day I arrived back to the UK last month was the same day a bus crashed on the M25 killing 4 and blocking the Mway for 12 hours.

It's not just Thailand that have the problems. Although it's less frequent in the UK, it still happens.

To Nisa ,the reason for coming in to a terminal, Not long before departure , is congestion at the terminal, If you spend time at Morchit, you will notice that rarely is a bay empty. One out,one in. Not because of "tight" timetabling. Most of the long distance drivers drive very well. I have no problems with them .However Korat -Morchit for example, are total fruitcakes. I repeat, given the huge number ( many thousands a day) of route bus movements in Thailand, the safety and reliability record is , actually rather very good. I am sorry ,but a lot of nonsense has been written here. By people who are a little ignorant of bus/coach operation. May I be allowed to state here ,that I drove, both Urban routes and long distance coaches , in Australia for over 20 years. Speed limiters? Not needed here, in the main ,as most daytime buses DO obey speed limits, which currently are a Max. Of 80 K.P.H. . Night time drivers are different, especially buses that depart after 23.00 hours.But little traffic around then. Many of them do speed, agreed. In Oz ,on long distance routes we used to drive at speeds up to 150 K.P.H.-no cops around ( C.B. radio, in every long distance bus)What is a problem is the cowboys that drive Private Charter Buses.Known as Rot Tour. They are pure nuts. And do have some spectacular bingles.

The biggest problem in Thailand is the lack of respect for others lives. The people rely too much on Karma. If it happens (an accident) it happens, if it don't , it don't. Buying your bus driver a m-150 or red bull is a good idea. I will make a note of that.

I would dare to say that on average Thai drivers are more skilled than those in Western countries.

Perhaps the most dumbest comment I have ever read on Thaivisa.

I caught a Class one bus out of Mo chit last week to Phetchabun province and was seated downstairs. I noticed that the driver did not wear shoes and drove in bare feet, well thats something we unskilled westerners might find tricky.

Besides driving the whole journey in the outside lane, (that must be the bus lane)

I did not mind the bus going on at a fair lick, its mainly dual carriage way on route 21 and the road conditions were good, what was worrying, a PTT tanker (articulated) bombing past us on the inside. Takes a lot of skill to break the speed limits, I agree.

Believe it or not, the local buses (pink & white, probably a couple dozen new buses) which serve the Roi-et to Khon Kaen route have governors! When the driver goes over the designated speed limit (set by the company), an irritating buzzer sounds, and he backs off his speed. Believe, me, everyone of them test it on every trip, too. Apparently, there may be some sort of penalty for disabling the governor, because I hear it buzz on virtually every bus ride (as it's faithfully tested by the drivers.) The government and national bus companies could take a lesson from our little local company.

it is not possible to sleep . why I am surprised.? because this does not match thai people's nature of respect.

Just where do you get the idea that Thai people respect each other. Have you ever even been to Thailand. IMHO it is a country full of the most selfish people you will find anywhere in the world. What the people most often are is non-confrontational allowing others to get away with whatever they like...such as bad driving. But confront one with what he/she is doing wrong and then wait and see the stare/glare you'll get for catching them out. On a trip to Ranong once I confronted the driver of the VIP bus I was on at around midnight to turn OFF the loud music he had been playing. All the other passengers (Thais..I was the only farang) had been whispering to each other complaining about the noise but not one of them cared or dared to confront the driver. When I did and the music subsided I got a standing ovation from the other passengers who were all then able to get some sleep.

To Nisa ,the reason for coming in to a terminal, Not long before departure , is congestion at the terminal, If you spend time at Morchit, you will notice that rarely is a bay empty. One out,one in. Not because of "tight" timetabling. Most of the long distance drivers drive very well. I have no problems with them .However Korat -Morchit for example, are total fruitcakes. I repeat, given the huge number ( many thousands a day) of route bus movements in Thailand, the safety and reliability record is , actually rather very good. I am sorry ,but a lot of nonsense has been written here. By people who are a little ignorant of bus/coach operation. May I be allowed to state here ,that I drove, both Urban routes and long distance coaches , in Australia for over 20 years. Speed limiters? Not needed here, in the main ,as most daytime buses DO obey speed limits, which currently are a Max. Of 80 K.P.H. . Night time drivers are different, especially buses that depart after 23.00 hours.But little traffic around then. Many of them do speed, agreed. In Oz ,on long distance routes we used to drive at speeds up to 150 K.P.H.-no cops around ( C.B. radio, in every long distance bus)What is a problem is the cowboys that drive Private Charter Buses.Known as Rot Tour. They are pure nuts. And do have some spectacular bingles.

DID I READ THIS RIGHT ??????? Not needed here, in the main ,as most daytime buses DO obey speed limits, which currently are a Max. Of 80 K.P.H..................Most posters are relating to ALL types of tour buses ...You state '' the safety record actually is very good''. In general Most buses on highways-without a doubt- exceed 120kph. They leave me standing at my 90kph. If you don't believe me then you do not drive long distant highways in Thailand or you are in denial.

DID I READ THIS RIGHT ??????? Not needed here, in the main ,as most daytime buses DO obey speed limits, which currently are a Max. Of 80 K.P.H..................Most posters are relating to ALL types of tour buses ...You state '' the safety record actually is very good''. In general Most buses on highways-without a doubt- exceed 120kph. They leave me standing at my 90kph. If you don't believe me then you do not drive long distant highways in Thailand or you are in denial.