Pattaya Bus Crash On Bang Na Trat Kills Two And Injures 27

webfact

That sounds paranoid. I've been here nine years, and the bus is my main means of transportation out of town. I get tickets just like everyone else--all over the bus, randomly-selected, or the next seat available. Sat next to the bathroom only once (and that was a Nakorn Chai 1st class bus, which stank to high heaven!).

You were on a bus which had a bathroom? Wow! Was there a jacuzzi too? Nice ladies to assist in one's ablutions?

I've read Internet articles suggesting that Nakhon Chai Air buses have massage chairs and individual video screens but the thought that I could wallow in soapy suds playing with my family of toy ducks while hurtling along Thailand's highways has excited my interest. This is a must thing to do.

BTW Was the the bus fitted with a toilet for the benefit of the oldies with bladder problems?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds paranoid. I've been here nine years, and the bus is my main means of transportation out of town. I get tickets just like everyone else--all over the bus, randomly-selected, or the next seat available. Sat next to the bathroom only once (and that was a Nakorn Chai 1st class bus, which stank to high heaven!).

You were on a bus which had a bathroom? Wow! Was there a jacuzzi too? Nice ladies to assist in one's ablutions?

I've read Internet articles suggesting that Nakhon Chai Air buses have massage chairs and individual video screens but the thought that I could wallow in soapy suds playing with my family of toy ducks while hurtling along Thailand's highways has excited my interest. This is a must thing to do.

BTW Was the the bus fitted with a toilet for the benefit of the oldies with bladder problems?

English lesson for the Terminally European: 'bathroom' is a polite word for 'toilet'. [ Also: 'wash room', 'rest room'. ]

Carry on.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Most cases accidents happen are due to drivers,road conditions and vehicle conditions.Most do not follow the speed limit.My condolence to all who died.

Except maybe the reckless driver that was the cause.

You have no evidence for this, which makes it inappropriate.

Suggest you retract.

Driving in and around BKK is considerably more driver training than anybody will receive in a first world country. It is clear that a number of posters may want to break open the dictionary or read more clearly since I stated an opinion in my earlier posts about Thais in general being more skilled but certainly not more safe. For those lacking English skills this certainly doesn't mean they are better drivers but rather they have the ability to be better drivers given the experience, reflexes and awareness needed to drive in Thailand. It is relatively easy to drive in a country such as the US given the engineering and research that comes into play when even considering building or modifying a road as well as the over abundance of enforcement and traffic devices to guide you on your journey. Thailand's deaths per 100,000 vehicles is not that much more than the US but I'm confident it would be significantly less if the US had the same types of roads, more motorbikes than car, similar lack of enforcement and traffic devices that this developing nation has. Consider that driving in New York City is a breeze compared to BKK but visitors from other places in the US are advised strongly against trying to drive in the city because they lack the skills.

Of course you don't have to agree with my opinions but if you are going to disagree you should not pretend I said things I didn't or feel the need to snip certain words from my post as that only makes you appear as if you don't really have a valid dissenting opinion and/or have a need to view most things negatively when it comes to Thais.

Edited by Nisa

Yes there is.Given the thousands upon thousands of ROUTE bus movements a day in Thailand, the safety record is pretty da*n good,What is a problem is in the charter bus industry, too many cowboys drive.

totally agree with that comment ! good to see that not everyone living here is against Thailand. if you dont like it go home !

Unless of course you are home.

Driving in and around BKK is considerably more driver training than anybody will receive in a first world country. It is clear that a number of posters may want to break open the dictionary or read more clearly since I stated an opinion in my earlier posts about Thais in general being more skilled but certainly not more safe. For those lacking English skills this certainly doesn't mean they are better drivers but rather they have the ability to be better drivers given the experience, reflexes and awareness needed to drive in Thailand. It is relatively easy to drive in a country such as the US given the engineering and research that comes into play when even considering building or modifying a road as well as the over abundance of enforcement and traffic devices to guide you on your journey. Thailand's deaths per 100,000 vehicles is not that much more than the US but I'm confident it would be significantly less if the US had the same types of roads, more motorbikes than car, similar lack of enforcement and traffic devices that this developing nation has. Consider that driving in New York City is a breeze compared to BKK but visitors from other places in the US are advised strongly against trying to drive in the city because they lack the skills.

Of course you don't have to agree with my opinions but if you are going to disagree you should not pretend I said things I didn't or feel the need to snip certain words from my post as that only makes you appear as if you don't really have a valid dissenting opinion and/or have a need to view most things negatively when it comes to Thais.

Don't confuse skills with local knowledge.

I dont know if if this is just a coincidence but every time i have travelled by bus from Pattaya bus station to where ever and have managed to sit in the seat by the front door,i have noticed that the bus's speedometer does not operate.Can someone tell me if,in Thailand, disconnecting the speedo also disconnects anything else,like a spy in the cab that would show hours of driver's driving or a speed guvenor or even times where the the driver has driven above the legal limit.,Of course this could be a ruse used by the bus company so it can sell the bus on,at a later date stating that it's low milage

.she was ironic.
Right! Definitely a thin line between irony and stupidity.

being ironic

if this is all your contribution to make a better society in Thailand.

go for it(say ironically)....dude.

Edited by dunkin2012

It was mentioned earlier that most buses do keep to the speed limit of 80kph, again they have not driven much on the highways and been overtaken by a tour bus doing in excess of 120kph. Sometimes it's better not to post if you have no Idea. then you don't lose face!!!:whistling:

Thailand needs to review the road safety issue and a lot of work to be done.

for now Leaving "Songkarn" alone which they are seriously working and it seems that's under control.

"drink Don't drive"s are often to be seen, not. Intoxicated HV drivers with amfetamine are still around as they need to be just in time for their tight schedules. Monitoring this constantly will be appreciated. Granting a driver-license is too easy. They need to invest more on the a computerized test and the proper practical driving test. therefore, driving course is a MUST. In the western countries already have good systems then why don't copy them. And Of course, there shouldn't be corruption. All motorcyclists have to take good care of their own lives while on the roads cos they drive without helmets like maniacs. Additionally, I wanna teach 'em what Right and Left are.

Finally,the law enforcement is a joke. Real punishment have to be engaged for those who don't follow the rules.

Don't confuse skills with local knowledge.

Quite, very Bangkok centric.

Take any rural Thai farmer with his pick-up to Bangkok and see how he fairs. Take any Bangkokian with his city based 'skills' and put them on Route 24 between Nang Rong and Prasat and see how they get on.

All licensed western drivers have not only gone through intensive driver training they have also had to pass a rigorous test to get licensed. Most, not all, but most western drivers that I know are experienced at driving on country roads, suburban roads, motorways, small city centres and large ones, they know how to use roundabouts, they know what to do and what not to do at traffic lights, they know the difference between a dotted line and a solid one, they know how to behave at unmarked crossroads, and they know why sometimes it's a good idea to let the other driver go first and the fact that as soon as you start your engine it isn't a race to the chequered flag.

Driving skill is not just the ability to reverse park outside the mall, it is also about knowledge, awareness and attitude.

To call Thai drivers more skilful is just plainly ludicrous.

I have to wonder the lengths some people will go to feel superior to others due to a likely low self-esteem. This may explain why they continue to stay here while feeling a need to come out in force in topics like this to condemn a developing nation over things that are by definition problems related to most all developing nations.

I have to wonder the lengths some people will go to feel superior to others due to a likely low self-esteem. This may explain why they continue to stay here while feeling a need to come out in force in topics like this to condemn a developing nation over things that are by definition problems related to most all developing nations.

Developing what? Chaos, carnage and mayhem on the roads?

jb1

Developing what? Chaos, carnage and mayhem on the roads?

jb1

You were insinuating that Thais were superior at driving, We are here wanting to stay just the same as you, and what on earth are you talking about we wanting to feel superior-due to a lack of self esteem ??????. If we should reed back to earlier posts, it was YOU that insinuated that westerners were inferior drivers, You condemned westerners, you were western bashing, If you would stick to the topic and discuss that, rather than contradict for the sake of it.

Buses-their speed-regulations-reasons for incidents-and most of all-Here in LOS it seems to be there is a king of the road attitude with most Tour drivers.

Another terrible crash involving one of these blue buses..when I think of all the trips I have taken over the past 15 odd years on these buses I have been very lucky. R.I.P to the deceased.

It is perfectly acceptable to report on events and give opinions, it is not acceptable to post in an inflammatory manner. One post removed.

Edit to add: Please use the report button to report inflammatory/offensive posts so they can be acted upon.

Thanks.

Edited by metisdead
Added comments.

Driver should have been more careful....!!!! Feel sorry for the passengers.

More Pictures and New Here.

Is there a small elevation between lanes here or is that some kind of island or divider that the front of the bus appears perched on? From the pictures I am not sure I'm understanding the orientation but it looks like this bus went head on into the column. I am not sure I buy the swerving to miss a vehicle unless the driver was insanely speeding which I doubt. It just doesn't make sense to swerve head-on into a concrete pillar as opposed to hitting a car ... even if the driver was inexperience I would assume instincts generally would cause him to slam on the brakes and not swerve when there is nowhere to escape to.

Again not sure of the details, including skid marks, but it doesn't look as though the bus was traveling very fast when it hit that column.

As a matter of curiosity hopefully there will be some further details coming out regarding this unfortunate tragedy.

thats the most dangerous road i have ever driven on. Its feels like your driving to hell.

Depends which direction you're heading....If one is hell then the other is heaven

English lesson for the Terminally European: 'bathroom' is a polite word for 'toilet'. [ Also: 'wash room', 'rest room'. ]

If bathroom is the polite term for toilet then that makes toilet impolite.....INCORRECT...nothing wrong or impolite with the use of toilet...you'll see thousands of signs saying "toilet" all over UK ...unless you're implying that the British are impolite in which case (deleted expletive).

My Collins dictionary:

Toilet = a small room with a bowl-shaped fixture for the purpose of discharging wastes from the body

Bathroom = a room with a bathtub

So on Thailand's buses we see Toilets NOT Bathrooms.....

Edited by KKK

If bathroom is the polite term for toilet then that makes toilet impolite.....INCORRECT...nothing wrong or impolite with the use of toilet...you'll see thousands of signs saying "toilet" all over UK ...unless you're implying that the British are impolite in which case (deleted expletive).

My Collins dictionary:

Toilet = a small room with a bowl-shaped fixture for the purpose of discharging wastes from the body

Bathroom = a room with a bathtub

So on Thailand's buses we see Toilets NOT Bathrooms.....

most of the time, they gave me a seat at the back where these toilets usually are.......

the smell's like hell ..........

Need to improve that too.

thats the most dangerous road i have ever driven on. Its feels like your driving to hell.

Depends which direction you're heading....If one is hell then the other is heaven

If we assume the bus was heading towards Ekkamai, it would be in the same direction as Nana and Sukkhumvhit, would it not?

If so, then it would be up to your own preferances as to which of those destinations you'd end up in :ph34r:

On second thoughts, seeing the bus was coming FROM Pattaya..it might give further clues :whistling:

If we assume the bus was heading towards Ekkamai, it would be in the same direction as Nana and Sukkhumvhit, would it not?

If so, then it would be up to your own preferances as to which of those destinations you'd end up in :ph34r:

On second thoughts, seeing the bus was coming FROM Pattaya..it might give further clues :whistling:

@maiphedmaiaroi was talking about his own experiences on driving on the road NOT the bus. Therefore the direction the bus was travelling is as totally irrelevant as your comments.

Edited by KKK

On December 14, 2007, weighing 42,720 pounds (test weight). The Coach crashed into the barrier @ 30.36 mph( not very fast though)

more details and try to work it out with that Pattaya-BKK bus. Dunno!!!!

If we assume similar construction of the bus and the pictures are a good indication of damage to the bus in Pattaya then it would seem the bus was going slower than 30 mph since it hit a much smaller object than a flat wall making contact to the entire front of the bus. There have been bus accidents on highways where the bus hits a poll and practically gets cut in half.

On December 14, 2007, weighing 42,720 pounds (test weight). The Coach crashed into the barrier @ 30.36 mph( not very fast though)

more details and try to work it out with that Pattaya-BKK bus. Dunno!!!!

If we assume similar construction of the bus and the pictures are a good indication of damage to the bus in Pattaya then it would seem the bus was going slower than 30 mph since it hit a much smaller object than a flat wall making contact to the entire front of the bus. There have been bus accidents on highways where the bus hits a poll and practically gets cut in half.

Interesting observation....that leads me to the question of the construction of the Thai bus and how well it fairs in relation to international standards. There has been plenty of talk on this forum about the driver, lack of seat belts etc but what about the actual bus body. When I've travelled on the route in question I would say that always the bus has been an old one that has been very well used. How well maintained are the brakes for instance?

Edited by KKK

There's no seat belt. RIP for the deceased, let's hope the injured ones will have a speedy and fully recovery...

I was travelling on the same bus route 2 weeks ago and we rear ended a car and sandwiched another into a third. The bus did have seat belts, but nobody was wearing them.

I have taken the public bus from Pattaya to Morchit a number of times and I try to get a seat up the back because one time when i did sit up the front I was constantly looking at the road and at how close the driver would come to other vehicles.

Nerve wracking to say the least.

Thailand is still relatively safe however compared to places like Saudi Arabia or other Gulf countries. Driving in the Gulf states is a real eye opener.

@maiphedmaiaroi was talking about his own experiences on driving on the road NOT the bus. Therefore the direction the bus was travelling is as totally irrelevant as your comments.

IMO its more dangerous driving from pattaya to bkk on that rd. Its the sudden U turns and terrible road surface as well as the great big dirty lorries and polution in the air that makes it feel like your going to hell. Just feels like a nasty road to drive on as well as very very dangerous.

As my missus used to say "drive safe on bangna trat as many people die on this road". Which isnt the least bit suprising. Hence the i never drive back from pattaya or chonburi that way.

Edited by maiphedmaiaroi