Pattaya Bus Crash On Bang Na Trat Kills Two And Injures 27

webfact

English lesson for the Terminally European: 'bathroom' is a polite word for 'toilet'. [ Also: 'wash room', 'rest room'. ]

If bathroom is the polite term for toilet then that makes toilet impolite.....INCORRECT...nothing wrong or impolite with the use of toilet...you'll see thousands of signs saying "toilet" all over UK ...unless you're implying that the British are impolite in which case (deleted expletive).

My Collins dictionary:

Toilet = a small room with a bowl-shaped fixture for the purpose of discharging wastes from the body

Bathroom = a room with a bathtub

So on Thailand's buses we see Toilets NOT Bathrooms.....

most of the time, they gave me a seat at the back where these toilets usually are.......

the smell's like hell ..........

Need to improve that too.

Doh !!!! Book earlier and you can ask for the seat at the front that you would like !

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have taken the public bus from Pattaya to Morchit a number of times and I try to get a seat up the back because one time when i did sit up the front I was constantly looking at the road and at how close the driver would come to other vehicles.

Nerve wracking to say the least.

Thailand is still relatively safe however compared to places like Saudi Arabia or other Gulf countries. Driving in the Gulf states is a real eye opener.

Actually; it's safer to drive in most of the Gulf states with your eyes closed !! Probably more chance of staying alive.

I have taken the public bus from Pattaya to Morchit a number of times and I try to get a seat up the back because one time when i did sit up the front I was constantly looking at the road and at how close the driver would come to other vehicles.

Nerve wracking to say the least.

Thailand is still relatively safe however compared to places like Saudi Arabia or other Gulf countries. Driving in the Gulf states is a real eye opener.

Yes. ;) I've just been travelling in the region and really I think far better of Thai road conditions now, including Bangkok traffic. ;)

Driver should have been more careful....!!!! Feel sorry for the passengers.

More Pictures and New Here.

Is there a small elevation between lanes here or is that some kind of island or divider that the front of the bus appears perched on? From the pictures I am not sure I'm understanding the orientation but it looks like this bus went head on into the column. I am not sure I buy the swerving to miss a vehicle unless the driver was insanely speeding which I doubt. It just doesn't make sense to swerve head-on into a concrete pillar as opposed to hitting a car ... even if the driver was inexperience I would assume instincts generally would cause him to slam on the brakes and not swerve when there is nowhere to escape to.

Again not sure of the details, including skid marks, but it doesn't look as though the bus was traveling very fast when it hit that column.

As a matter of curiosity hopefully there will be some further details coming out regarding this unfortunate tragedy.

If you look at the pictures closely you will notice that the bus had to first climb an 18-24 inch wall before embedding itself into a concreate column.

I live in Bang-Na and know this road well. It is 4 lanes wide, 5 if you include the emergency lane? which these excellent Thai drivers manage to change from at an alarming rate. To make it more entertaining, they also like to give you no indication of their intensions. It is a local speed track. For all vehicles.

On December 14, 2007, weighing 42,720 pounds (test weight). The Coach crashed into the barrier @ 30.36 mph( not very fast though)

more details and try to work it out with that Pattaya-BKK bus. Dunno!!!!

If we assume similar construction of the bus and the pictures are a good indication of damage to the bus in Pattaya then it would seem the bus was going slower than 30 mph since it hit a much smaller object than a flat wall making contact to the entire front of the bus. There have been bus accidents on highways where the bus hits a poll and practically gets cut in half.

Interesting observation....that leads me to the question of the construction of the Thai bus and how well it fairs in relation to international standards. There has been plenty of talk on this forum about the driver, lack of seat belts etc but what about the actual bus body. When I've travelled on the route in question I would say that always the bus has been an old one that has been very well used. How well maintained are the brakes for instance?

Less than 30 mph ???? and the bus was in that state, To get crunched up like that there must have been serious metal fatigue.

Oh yes give me the front, anytime as I will be able to see the incident more clearly :whistling:

Given the figures posted earlier--bus every 1/2 hour, it's about time the bus company updated it's( crates).

Love to see the service record on each coach :whistling:. GET that fast service rail link to Pattaya --Satahip.--Rayong--and stop a lot of these incidents. Jomptien-Airport service is brilliant--and new buses, so why not on this profitable route???

The only time these coaches do slow speeds are when they are stopping-or moving off.B)B)

hello all my girlfriends brother drives one of these buses

and not sure why the reason they ignore speed limits

but they are paid on mileage so more miles they do more they get paid

so if they they can speed up a little and get a extra trip a day they get paid extra

not sure if the minibus drivers think the same

but am sure that the reasoning in their mind

and most think i,m a good driver and it wont happen to me

law of averages say if you drive long distance for your work

you will have accidents maybe only small

but youcant be held responsible for the action of others

I´m happy - i still alive

- yesterday i drove near Roi Et, as a Bus comes on the wrong side in a curve sidebyside with a truck, high speed and very nearby to loose the controll.

If the driver would lose the controll of the bus, he would hit my car, i was in the direct line.

But -the bus driver hold the speedy bus, me and any other people was only shoked.

I´m happy - i still alive

- yesterday i drove near Roi Et, as a Bus comes on the wrong side in a curve sidebyside with a truck, high speed and very nearby to loose the controll.

If the driver would lose the controll of the bus, he would hit my car, i was in the direct line.

But -the bus driver hold the speedy bus, me and any other people was only shoked.

haven't you have any bad experiences with Motorcycles?

Many times,I almost hit them. They are not as many as in Hanoi but these motorcyclists are crazy and very annoying........

Don't like to see 'em on the roads....

Edited by dunkin2012

English lesson for the Terminally European: 'bathroom' is a polite word for 'toilet'. [ Also: 'wash room', 'rest room'. ]

If bathroom is the polite term for toilet then that makes toilet impolite.....INCORRECT...nothing wrong or impolite with the use of toilet...you'll see thousands of signs saying "toilet" all over UK ...unless you're implying that the British are impolite in which case (deleted expletive).

My Collins dictionary:

Toilet = a small room with a bowl-shaped fixture for the purpose of discharging wastes from the body

The toilet is the bowl that you urinate or defecate into, the toilet is normally in a bathroom or a washroom, unless you are suggesting a room with a toilet and a hand basin is still a toilet, so i can take a dump in the washbasin?

I am english and I know we normally call the bathroom a toilet, but when someone says to me they are going the toilet I tend to think of the toilet, it is however it is more polite to say I am going the bathroom or washroom as this conjours up a nicer image.

My Collins dictionary:

The first house that I lived in, had a seperate bathroom & toilet. So if guests had said that they were going to to the bathroom, they might well have got some strange looks, or else been asked if they needed a towel? :lol:

I think you will find that the term Bathroom, rather than toilet came from the good old US of A. During the time that they decided to change the English language to suit themselves. Not sure but isn't the polite English term Privy?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1