Reference Air Pollution Readings For Cm

stateman

I found some info related to air pollution while checking out CM. From http://www.pcd.go.th, a report dated มีนาคม 2548, covering 1Q2005:

Air pollution for Chiangmai listed PM10 at 41.2-198.8 microgram/cu.m. From google, I also found:

“U.S. Environmental Protection Agency , National Ambient Air Quality Standards for

PM10 (annual mean) is 50 microgram/cubic meter. A value of 50 or more puts the area above the federal health standard..”

This means CM air pollution ranges from 41.2, slightly below threshold (50) to WAY higher than acceptable (198.8). This occurs about 1/4 of the time. The number betw 100-200 indicates effect to health. People with respiratory problem should refrain from prolonged outdoor exposure.

For ref., PM10 includes ozone (O3), Nitrogen Di Oxide (NO2), Carbon Monoxide (CO) , Sulphur Di Oxide (SO2) and dust particles not exceeding 10 microns.

For comparison, the numbers kind of fit in betw the highs and lows of Bkk ‘s numbers. Some areas of Bkk, like Samutprakarn, where there are lots of industries are much worse. Some areas in the suburb (or boondocks?) in Bkk Metro were much better.

I also read many serious discussions about the need to reduce air pollution, such as from annual burings, etc. It was also mentioned that the government, from ministerial down to district (Amphur) and Tumbon levels have been making much efforts to cut down the pollution. There is difficulty educating and convincing them not to burn – especially when the practice of burning has been around forever.

I found some info related to air pollution while checking out CM.  From http://www.pcd.go.th, a report dated มีนาคม 2548, covering 1Q2005:

Air pollution for Chiangmai listed PM10 at 41.2-198.8 microgram/cu.m.  From google, I also found:

“U.S. Environmental Protection Agency , National Ambient Air Quality Standards for

PM10 (annual mean) is 50 microgram/cubic meter.  A value of 50 or more puts the area above the federal health standard..”

This means CM air pollution ranges from 41.2, slightly below threshold (50) to WAY higher than acceptable (198.8).  This occurs about 1/4 of the time.  The number betw 100-200 indicates effect to health.  People with respiratory problem should refrain from prolonged outdoor exposure.

For ref., PM10 includes ozone (O3), Nitrogen Di Oxide (NO2), Carbon Monoxide (CO) , Sulphur Di Oxide (SO2) and dust particles not exceeding 10 microns.

For comparison, the numbers kind of fit in betw the highs and lows of Bkk ‘s numbers.  Some areas of Bkk, like Samutprakarn, where there are lots of industries are much worse.  Some areas in the suburb (or boondocks?) in Bkk Metro were much better. 

I also read many serious discussions about the need to reduce air pollution, such as from annual burings, etc.  It was also mentioned that the government, from ministerial down to district (Amphur) and Tumbon levels have been making much efforts to cut down the pollution. There is difficulty educating and convincing them not to burn – especially when the practice of burning has been around forever.

Whenever someone posts out stats about air quality in CM I always wonder, at what point in the city were they takenand at what time of day?

In my experience the air quality varies from very bad (eg, along Chang Moi Rd near Kat Luang, or on the west side of Tha Phae Gate) to very good (the neighbourhood around Wat U Mong and Wat Pong Noi).

Likewise the time of day, day of the week and month of the year ought to make a huge difference in PM figures. If you want the worst stats, be sure to measure from 3 to 6pm on a Friday, during the month of April. If you want lower stats, try again Sunday morning around 6am at the tail end of the SW monsoon.

Even in BKK the stats swing widely. According to the website you referenced, the range is from 35.0 PM-10 at Intharaphitak to 135.9 PM-10 at Din Daeng.

Of course we hope the Thais will do something to improve air quality but in the meantime those concerned about the health implications of high PM-10 figures can do a lot to mitigate the effects simply by avoiding troublesome areas, especially at the worst times of day.

One other thing we can do to promote better air quality is to report those who burn waste within the city limits, which is illegal. We were able to stop a nieghbour from burning leaves and rubbish in her garden whenever the sun was out, after a couple of visits from local police.

Whenever someone posts out stats about air quality in CM I always wonder, at what point in the city were they takenand at what time of day?

--

Actually they did mentioned 2 stations where the readings were taken. My impression was they were fixed sites. I didn't pay any particular attention to where they were, as I treated them as samples from some representative sites. If it is needed to know where they are, I'd have to go back to read the report. It also gave the number of percentage. I believe it didn't say at what time of the day they took the readings. And since this is a running readings covering 3 months, I doubt if the guy would do it at any exact time. My guess is he took the reading at his convenience, or as time permitted (I probably would have done it that way).

I posted the numbers because I read from some posts on this website where someone was bothered by the air while in CM, and another poster said air in CM was worse than in Bkk. This prompted me to do some research on the subject, as I want to know how bad it is. What I found kind of confirmed the information posted here - although I'd categorize it as being in-between the bad and the good bkk readings; so I thought others may want to know. Also, I felt if one knows, then one can take some protective measures, before one gets asthma, etc.

One California newspaper article mentioned that Fresno, CA air quality can be very bad, and now lots of kids developed asthma, etc. I also read from another source that the bad air pollution from Los Angeles caused the trees in San Bernardino mountains (east of LA) to die. Later when I drove past, I found that to be true. This convinced me that living in a city with bad air can cause health problem long term. So consider that we have been forewarned.

As for myself, I think I may want to get one of those ionic air filter like the one sold by sharper Image, should I move to CM. :o

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/...857GRY/hppos__3 or

http://www.ionicpro.com/howitworks.html?sr...liate&aid=11463