Phitsanulok - Internet

Nam Kao

What are the internet connections like in P-lok??

Are they reliable?  any ADSL speed?

Thanks for any help!

nam

I am using Maxnet ADSL. 590 baht/month for 256K, 790/month for 512K. Connections are usually at 192 or 256 depending on TOD. I don't know my distance from drop. Dialup 56K really sucks, lines drop often, (I used to use KSCNET), slow, and lots of problems when it rains.

Only problem so far with ADSL was the following: kids set up ADSL when I was out of the country. They got a USB only modem. I came back and wanted to set up home network using Linksys/Cisco 4-port cable and wireless router I brought back from USA. Two choices:

1. Buy modem with dual port or ethernet port. PROBLEM: More expenditure and ADSL is sometimes flaky with different modems, so unless sanctioned by ISP, some risk to it.

2. Set up network, one step inbound, i.e., using the USB-to-modem computer as host, setting up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the host computer, and connecting the router downstream to the LAN port. PROBLEM: Host computer must be on when you want to use any other computer in network.

Decided on the second option, because very little risk and I can always opt for the first if #2 doesn't work. Took me about 3-4 hours to set up with a few chinks along the way. Since XP is on all computers did not not bother installing NETBeui but just used standard TCPIP stack. Besides didn't have all the XP Disks(NETBeui does not install as standard XP install is Microsoft no longer supports it) Final issue were the client computers (a couple of laptops). I could connect to Internet through wireless, but only using specific URL's. I got DNS errors if I typed in domain name (www.google.com). Solution was to put in specific DNS server names that ISP uses (can get info from ipconfig /all) and NOT acquire DNS server dynamically (however leave DHCP alone, do not assign static IP's for the clients). Speed on network PC's is fine, only affected if kids are playing games (lots of cycles) on host computer. Got a fealing that the network interrupt runs at a lower priority. Signed up for higher speed starting Nov. 1.