http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/AboutUs_contact_details.html

General Contact details

Phone: +66 2 344 6300

Facsimile: +66 2 344 6593

Email: [email protected]

Immigration Contact details

Phone: +66 2 344 6400

Facsimile: +66 2 344 6314

For queries on immigration, visa and Australian citizenship related matters, please email : [email protected]

Consular Services in Bangkok

Phone: +66 2 344 6300

Facsimile: +66 2 344 6310

Email: [email protected]

You should send a formal letter by registered mail to DIAC at the Australian Embassy detailing your complaint and the file number of the application if it is for a visa. The salutation should be Dear Sir/Madam.

Then wait for a reply, you should receive a reply within a short timeframe and do not forget to put your contact address and telephone number if available on your letterhead.

What is the basis for your complaint? (no names). if one is permitted to ask.

What is the basis for your complaint? (no names). if one is permitted to ask.

An issue of no return communications from them to me.

Has been resolved (hopefully) verbally only at this point, but just waiting for an email to confirm the phone conversation.

Had to speak to an Aussie, who had a bit more understanding (compassion) to rectify.

Ah....need to get a job done ?....get an Aussie to do it.

...except in Australia where you need to get a kiwi to do it.

Dear NanLaew -Thats GOLD & so true ! Nice Work

Dear NanLaew, thanks for that and I'll have to trust you on it, because in all my years there I never met a Kiwi that had a job.

It is almost impossible to talk to any aussie in particular when it comes to visa. They don't open the embassy for public, only telephone numbers provided. I pay my tax for their salary but when I needed to talk to Australian staff in Thailand I had to talk to Thai admin staff and Thai supervisor who thought they were the boss and was put down. I think they think that they are non-Thai (in fact they spoke broken English and have very strong Thai accent) and therefore have the priviledge to look down on anyone who come for visa.

On their website, it says the public can speak to the Australian staff on the number provided for a few hours per week, if I remember it correctly only 4-5 hours. But when we called, we were placed to the queue and you guess it, it was the very same people whom we spoke with before and wanted to make complaints against them. Even if you're lucky enough to talk to any Aussie, don't expect them to be compassionate. They will not listen to any of your reasons, good or bad.

The DIMA in Sydney doesn't help either. When I made enquiries, I was transferred to several people and none of them could answer my questions. It seems that no one actually knows the procedures. :annoyed: In the end I just gave up.

Edited by Thai-Aust

There are many ways to make a complaint in this matter.

You can go to your local member, go to the opposition person for immigration, go to the minister.

The thread I started has the names of who to contact but are out of date but I do believe the process is there.

There are certain things in which these immigration case officers are required to do. Have a look at the client service charter and see if you can reflect on how service was offered or not offered to you. To have a credible case of complaint you need to be able to say that the service was not up to scratch. I believe you also have a right to speak to an Aussie in the case worker section if you so wish. Again if you asked to speak to one and this is denied, then this may be grounds to initiate a complaint.

I had a situation where I asked for time frames, my wife had just had our son and wasn't able to have x-ray while pregnant. We had applied for a spousal visa and although our process took 5 months, the reason was for the x-ray to be completed to finish the process of the visa application; we also needed to get our financial affairs in order before we left to go back to OZ. I also had other issues when I initially rung the immigration section at the embassy and the person answering didn't identify themselves, told me to go to a migration agent (wouldn't answer questions that I asked; normally questions in OZ would be answered) and told me to go to there service and gave no advice as to the times I could use the service at the embassy. I ended up with I think seven shortcomings/complaints the embassy immigration section created on the initial contact and during the interview process.

I was able to identify these as I had a look at what I was required to provide and what service I was able to receive from the immigration section.

My last resort was to pen a letter to our Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader. When I did this I got a positive result within 3 days from the embassy.

Just make sure you have your facts right when you take these people on and that you have researched your rights. This is the grounds of complaint. They also have a fiduciary duty; that is if they have said something to you and you act on it the they are also responsible. I say this because in our application process I said that I had money in the bank, but was told that I would also need to provide a guarantee of support that you need to tee up with Centrelink. This caused me to spend time and considerable money on a wild goose chase. I later found out that the money I had in the bank did not require this guarantee of support to be entered into.

Yeah, just have a good think on how you have been treated, what has been said in the process, compare against what are your rights and then send letters off to the appropriate people.

There is also the Ombudsman.

What I understand is that many bureaucrats don't like to get ministerial letters, as they tend to follow them around when time comes up for promotion. So just think of what is to be said and don't let it blow up in your face.

Had to speak to an Aussie, who had a bit more understanding (compassion) to rectify.

Went to the immigration department in Brisbane to pay for a spouse visa and only 50% of the staff were Aussie (racial profiling I know... bad Berek bad) but from what I overheard, while waiting for an hour in various queues (just to pay, not needing any help) they were all very understanding and helpful.

Went to the immigration department in Brisbane to pay for a spouse visa and only 50% of the staff were Aussie (racial profiling I know... bad Berek bad) but from what I overheard, while waiting for an hour in various queues (just to pay, not needing any help) they were all very understanding and helpful.

The true Australian is Black, and of Aboriginal ancestry, what you meant to say was that the DIAC staff were 50% non-white, in other words they were not Anglo -Australian/ European.

But they would have been Australian Citizens.

Just a technical point.

The staff at DIAC in Brisbane are all Australian citizens and public servants. The staff at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok are 1. Australian citizens and public servants, and 2. the Thai staff are not, they are locally employed on a different salary rate.

What he meant was he would get a better hearing from an Australian, which is understandable, as some Thais do not understand Australian culture when dealing with people, depends how long they have worked there.

As an Australian citizens one has a perfectly legal right to speak with or see by appointment an Australian official irrespective of what a Thai employee says. Legally under international law an Australian Embassy is part of Australia.

But at all times be polite and firm at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah....need to get a job done ?....get an Aussie to do it.

...except in Australia where you need to get a kiwi to do it.

Only problem with that theory is that they are pretty lazy in NZ too. Both countries pay people not to work.

I had to take some extra documents to the embassey a few weeks ago.

I was made stand on the footpathin the sun and i was talked to through a hole in the gate by a bad mannered thai who thought she owned the embassey.

I was told in no uncertain manner that i would not get in without an appointment and to take to documents to VFS.

I argued that i was asked to bring the documents and i said it is my embassey and i want in.

She told me no not under any circumstances am i going in without an appointment and then she arogantly left me standing there.

I had to take some extra documents to the embassey a few weeks ago.

I was made stand on the footpathin the sun and i was talked to through a hole in the gate by a bad mannered thai who thought she owned the embassey.

I was told in no uncertain manner that i would not get in without an appointment and to take to documents to VFS.

I argued that i was asked to bring the documents and i said it is my embassey and i want in.

She told me no not under any circumstances am i going in without an appointment and then she arogantly left me standing there.

interesting.. was that in Bangkok..doesn't sound like it??

I dealt with an an initially surly Thai lady ( Bangkok ..counter one I believe.. but after some very polite and jocular conversation she melted and was extremely helpful ..even when I f..d up the marriage doc/form twice and she righted it for me...seems it's all in the way you deal with any bureaucrat ..ladies in particular....ever had to deal with those fine specimens at the motor transport department in Oz?? ...now that is fun!

+1 and also the earlier comment by someone telling people to research the matter and know what they are talking about. This approach will get you results (granted it may not be the result you want, but you will be giving it your best shot)

I hope the OP gets a good result and I can't help much there but can offer some general observations. I worked years in the public service dealing with people at all levels and their various complaints, and there is a way to get nowhere and a way to get a good hearing. Abuse and insults, especially when they are ill-founded will get you nowhere. Honesty, politeness and persistence goes a long way. But be realistic, for example, expecting an exception to be made to a rule because you are different ... hey, everyone is different but you can't have a separate rule for every person.

One of the comments that got up my nose was when people said "I put it all in the letter but they just ignored me" (when they didn't get the outcome they wanted). I can tell you that most agencies nowadays do not IGNORE people, in fact often considerable thought and time goes into trying to understand and consider the case that has been made. But hey, sometimes you don't get the result you want .. for reasons that may or may not be clear to you ... no-one likes it but that's life.

Read the literature and web site info about what is required & be organised ... keep copies of documents plus diary/file notes about what you have done/when/with whom you spoke. If you can't write a good letter (detailed, coherent, cordial, etc) then get a mate to help you put something together .. it will help

+1 and also the earlier comment by someone telling people to research the matter and know what they are talking about. This approach will get you results (granted it may not be the result you want, but you will be giving it your best shot)

I hope the OP gets a good result and I can't help much there but can offer some general observations. I worked years in the public service dealing with people at all levels and their various complaints, and there is a way to get nowhere and a way to get a good hearing. Abuse and insults, especially when they are ill-founded will get you nowhere. Honesty, politeness and persistence goes a long way. But be realistic, for example, expecting an exception to be made to a rule because you are different ... hey, everyone is different but you can't have a separate rule for every person.

One of the comments that got up my nose was when people said "I put it all in the letter but they just ignored me" (when they didn't get the outcome they wanted). I can tell you that most agencies nowadays do not IGNORE people, in fact often considerable thought and time goes into trying to understand and consider the case that has been made. But hey, sometimes you don't get the result you want .. for reasons that may or may not be clear to you ... no-one likes it but that's life.

Read the literature and web site info about what is required & be organised ... keep copies of documents plus diary/file notes about what you have done/when/with whom you spoke. If you can't write a good letter (detailed, coherent, cordial, etc) then get a mate to help you put something together .. it will help

I agree. Good advice Chiangmaibruce. When dealing with any bureaucracy it pays to be polite. Sure I accept that things wont always turn out the way you want them and at time it feels like you are bashing your head against a brick wall, but getting angry and aggressive wont help your cause either. Knowledge of your rights too goes a very long way.

I cant Resist It. Sir Les Patterson........, No Worries Mate. Taking things seriously isnt that important in Ozz..:D

Yes this is exactly who the OP needs to speak to with this complaint!

He would fix it in a jiffy :lol: