'Beaten, Cheated, Cursed': Phuket Tourists Get It All

webfact

‘Beaten, cheated, cursed’: Phuket tourists get it all

phuket-1-10324DKwmFfVeyAdTHLyIvjYPtALGay.jpg

Interior Ministry Deputy Permanent Secretary Pranai Suwannarat listens

to the reports of how tourists in Phuket are abused.

PHUKET: -- Tourists being beaten, cheated and cursed were among the top problems plaguing the island’s critical tourism industry, Interior Ministry Deputy Permanent Secretary Pranai Suwannarat heard from industry experts today.

Mr Pranai this afternoon chaired a meeting at Provincial Hall attended by Vice Governor Niwit Arunrat and about 20 other officials from provinces along the Andaman coast, all present to discuss what to do about tourists being cheated while on holiday.

Terayout Prasertphol, who recently took up the position of director at the Phuket Land Transport Office, told Mr Pranai, “I worked in Phuket as a chief of the Academic Division in the Phuket Land Transport Office five years ago.

“At that time, I tried to solve the problem of tuk-tuk drivers leaving tourists stranded at their destination.

“The drivers didn’t bring them back because they had a deal with other drivers to go and pick them up.

“Sometimes the drivers offering the return trip left the tourists little choice but to pay more than they paid the driver who took them there,” he said.

“This problem is still going on,” he added.

Bhurit Maswongsa, vice President of the Phuket Tourism Association, relayed to Mr Pranai reports of a dire scenario many tourists apparently face.

“We have heard many reports that illegal workers in Phuket, such as Nepalese, Pakistani, Burmese and Sri Lankan people working in tailor shops, coerce tourists.

“They are rude and sometimes beat tourists if they don’t buy anything from their shops,” he said.

Other figures at the meeting told Mr Pranai that illegal tour guides were still a problem.

Koreans and Russians were named as the main culprits working illegally as guides, an occupation reserved for Thais.

Deputy Pranai told the meeting that he will compile a report of the abuses and hand it to Permanent Secretary Vichean Chavalit next week.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-05-20

"At that time, I tried to solve the problem of tuk-tuk drivers leaving tourists stranded at their destination.

"The drivers didn't bring them back because they had a deal with other drivers to go and pick them up.

"Sometimes the drivers offering the return trip left the tourists little choice but to pay more than they paid the driver who took them there," he said.

"This problem is still going on," he added.

Bhurit Maswongsa, vice President of the Phuket Tourism Association, relayed to Mr Pranai reports of a dire scenario many tourists apparently face.

"We have heard many reports that illegal workers in Phuket, such as Nepalese, Pakistani, Burmese and Sri Lankan people working in tailor shops, coerce tourists.

"They are rude and sometimes beat tourists if they don't buy anything from their shops,"

This article points out a few things...

1. Why is this guy still making decisions after his last 5 years of failures, the situation with Tuk Tuk guys is worse if anything..

2. They have heard "many reports"..give me a break, this crap happens all day every day, and very little if anything is done...( remember the cruise ship a couple of months ago? )

3. as usual its not really/only the Thais its the foreigners...well may I suggest that if the illegals and foreigners are causing the bulk of the problems DEPORT them..Lord knows that we can be deported for crossing the road incorrectly!!!!

Any thinking person knows where the problems is, of course it is with the Thais the taxi mafia, the travel agents, the jet ski guys and of course the government right up to the Governor himself, the list goes on and on still nothing gets done.

I have watched Phuket and to a smaller extent Krabi be ruined by greed,self interest and crime, seriously I do not see the problems being remedied in the near future, what this means for tourism is anyone's guess but with crap service, average at best beaches and the feeling of being ripped off at every corner one can only imagine a less than bright future for the Southern Islands.

I would normally go to Phuket 3 or 4 times a year, this Songkran I went to Lang Kawi, what a refreshing place, clean water, excellent service, great food and CHEAPER.

Edited by Maestro
Fixed quote tags.

What I can tell from reading this article it is mainly the non-thai's that are causing all the trouble in Phuket. Or maybe they still can't admit it is the Thai's that are causing most of the problems down there.:blink:

EXACTLY SIR. As you may have long noticed, the Thais themselves, would never be responsible, nor guilty. Impossible. They are PERFECT.

Were you waiting that one, after speaking about the drivers, that finally it would come from the non legal Korean a Russian tourists guides ? Hop ! Just like a rabbit out of the hat ...

Whatever it started with the abusing drivers, who are reported to do that for more than 5 years, Hop ! finally, it's the FOREIGNERS to be guilty, Korean and Russian tourist guides.

As you could guess, no Thai could be responsible of anything: they are PERFECT.

I dropped to Phuket once, five years ago. It was a place I never visited, and I was planning to stay at least one week to look around. After a FEW HOURS only, I was running to a travel agency for they change my return ticket: I wanted to go, immediately. Unfortunately, I had to wait til next morning. I bet this will be my ONLY time in my life, to visit in Phuket. They stay with their Mafia, I stay with my money.

As being in Japan, a friend of mine, asked me that he could possibly visit me with his family, and hop to Phuket for a few days. I replied to him that he is not going to meet me in Phuket, not even in Thailand. We'll meet anywhere else. I recommended he would take his vacation in the US, landing in Las Vegas, renting a big car, and cruising all the way up California, on the coastal road. We'll meet there, and have good fun...

this is hillarious.... ROFL... "industry experts"

This guy is asking someone from Phuket Land Transport Office (previously FIVE years ago) if there is a transportation problem for tourists in Phuket....

..... and he basically answers that the worst part is the deals made between tuk-tuk drivers?

and then he asks the Phuket Tourism Association what the worst problem is....

...... and they say that their Thai tour agents are being undercut and bypassed by foreign tour guides?

it's like asking the fox how the henhouse is doing today.... i think he forgot to interview the Phuket Jetski Scammers Association too...

what a load of crap... anyone bother to ask the TOURISTS what was the worst part of their "Pearl of the Andaman" holiday? anyone bother to read police reports and complaints?

Have never been to Puket and won't go there......... promise!!!!!

If you like troubles hassles , go to Puket.

Does Puket have "Song Taw" to go around the island?

many time Back here in Pattaya, i deal with the overcharged "SongTaws".

they are similar to those tuk tuk in Puket though.

There are many non-Bhudist Thais working in Phuket as Tuk Tuk drivers. Most of them are scared to fight one on one,so they group beat tourists. The tailors are over aggressive, the food is disproportionately expensive, the girls want too much money. Above all, the business community seems to turn a blind eye to these problems,defends the perpetrators, and condemns critics.

Beaches, and access to the islands is all Phuket has going for it.

How long does it take for tourist's to wake up and boycott Phuket, as the guy above mentioned, everything is forbidding expensive and to go on holiday to be fighting with those mafia Tuk Tuk drivers, forget it there are so many other places in this world to see

and a lot cheaper. But if you like to get reaped of please dont stop coming to Phuket.

I couldn't agree more!!

Typical of high ranking officers to try and shift the limelight away from the rip-off thai mafia toward the 'illegals' in Thailand.

Phuket has been a tourist rip-off destination for several years and absolutely NOTHING has ever been done about it.

GREED GREED GREED. It isn't going to change soon. Thai's respect money too much - irrespective of how it's obtained....

There are several places in the world that although not so developed as Phuket or with Thailand's infrastructure are catching up quickly, but with what seems to me a more strict and controlled development philosophy. Time will tell - but expecting high ranking Thai officials to actually risk their lives to make a positive difference (without personal gain) is 'blue sky thinking'. Thailand has had a "brush it under the carpet" attitude to anything bad for DECADES! (purely my opinion of course). :)

What I can tell from reading this article it is mainly the non-thai's that are causing all the trouble in Phuket. Or maybe they still can't admit it is the Thai's that are causing most of the problems down there.:blink:

EXACTLY SIR. As you may have long noticed, the Thais themselves, would never be responsible, nor guilty. Impossible. They are PERFECT.

Were you waiting that one, after speaking about the drivers, that finally it would come from the non legal Korean a Russian tourists guides ? Hop ! Just like a rabbit out of the hat ...

Obviously foreigners are at fault for all these problems. A simple solution would be to declare Phuket off limits to all foreigners. No more trouble absolutely guaranteed.

So when it all boils down to it this guy tried to sort it all out before - it is still going on - = HE FAILED so does he think he can have a scond chance and will he make a difference - HA HA HA wait and see!?????

Tourists shouldnt have to wake up - they should be able to have a holiday like everyone else around the world - there should be a far better Policing service in force - that is on show all the time and should be approachable by the tourist if they encounter any trouble or problems - without continually being on the take themselves -- OK ideal world and it will never happen!

this is hillarious.... ROFL... "industry experts"

This guy is asking someone from Phuket Land Transport Office (previously FIVE years ago) if there is a transportation problem for tourists in Phuket....

..... and he basically answers that the worst part is the deals made between tuk-tuk drivers?

and then he asks the Phuket Tourism Association what the worst problem is....

...... and they say that their Thai tour agents are being undercut and bypassed by foreign tour guides?

it's like asking the fox how the henhouse is doing today.... i think he forgot to interview the Phuket Jetski Scammers Association too...

what a load of crap... anyone bother to ask the TOURISTS what was the worst part of their "Pearl of the Andaman" holiday? anyone bother to read police reports and complaints?

You make too much sense. And how dare anybody complain in Thailand.

So when it all boils down to it this guy tried to sort it all out before - it is still going on - = HE FAILED so does he think he can have a scond chance and will he make a difference - HA HA HA wait and see!?????

Tourists shouldnt have to wake up - they should be able to have a holiday like everyone else around the world - there should be a far better Policing service in force - that is on show all the time and should be approachable by the tourist if they encounter any trouble or problems - without continually being on the take themselves -- OK ideal world and it will never happen!

This concept of effective tourist police was proposed to TAT 5 years ago based on successful implementation of the strategy in another country back in the 1980s-90s, where they uniformed them in specially identifiable head gear and uniforms with English language shoulder and chest patches. Then they ran numerous campaigns where their tourist police were included in advertising and trade shows because research confirmed that safety is a priority for outbound tourists heading to foreign destinations.

You could speak with their highly visible tourist police and they were fluent in English. They were trained to support tourism. The country then extended the safety theme, due to its success, to include a fleet of service trucks to help stranded tourists on the highways with vehicle or medical problems. The radio-dispatched service trucks had two-man, English speaking teams, one medic and one mechanic, and they patrolled primary highways frequented by tourists. As a third element to the successful safety theme driving increased inbound arrivals, all resort destinations by mandate of their tourism authority established convenient, highly visible, medical clinics operating 24/7/365 with doctors and staff fluent in English, and offering inexpensive house calls by certified doctors to your hotel room, typically in 20 minutes or less. The inexpensive house call and meds were a service not a revenue stream and were added to your hotel bill at check-out.

To date, the only apparent Thai attempt at offering support to tourists is the 1155 number you can call and, based on experience, try communicating with an impatient voice on the other end, or, you can go to every police kiosk and if there is anybody there and if you can get close enough to see a tiny shoulder patch and assume that this is a member of the tourist police, you can then cause them consternation, again based on experience, by talking to them in English. When you do find a BIB speaking English to you it is usually with a smile and it usually costs you money.

Geez, I feel like an idiot. I live in Patong Beach and am quite happy. I recognize the issues being raised but I have never personally experienced any of these problems. Having traveled extensively, I always take my open mind, sense of humor, and realistic expectations with me. I just have to say all of these negative comments more or less saying Phuket is a sh--hole are unfair and quite overstated.

I organize trips to Thailand and I advise people there are better places than Phuket , but for some reason they still insist on going there.

I think some people think that their trip is not complete unless they go to Phuket.

no - the culprits are non- Thai only; the armada of tuk tuk drivers all hail from Isaan which still is being viewed as Laos

Last time I went to Phuket was 5 or 6 years ago and no need to return. Soon Pattaya too will be on my list as it just is not what it use to be 10 years or more ago.

I go there to relax and have fun. Not to fight traffic, Police, and rip off artist everywhere.

What I find amusing is that these rip off merchants, anywhere in Thailand, always assume that one's Thai partner will be on their side. i enjoy watching their faces when mine lets rip if she thinks they are trying to con me.

Have never been to Puket and won't go there......... promise!!!!!

If you like troubles hassles , go to Puket.

You've never been here, but you talk as if you know it well?? Basing too many of your decisions on forum hear say me thinks.

How long does it take for tourist's to wake up and boycott Phuket, as the guy above mentioned, everything is forbidding expensive and to go on holiday to be fighting with those mafia Tuk Tuk drivers, forget it there are so many other places in this world to see

and a lot cheaper. But if you like to get reaped of please dont stop coming to Phuket.

They will boycot it, when they no longer love coming here. Based on the numbers, that will happen some time never!

Geez, I feel like an idiot. I live in Patong Beach and am quite happy. I recognize the issues being raised but I have never personally experienced any of these problems. Having traveled extensively, I always take my open mind, sense of humor, and realistic expectations with me. I just have to say all of these negative comments more or less saying Phuket is a sh--hole are unfair and quite overstated.

Don't be silly 'Headgame'. People who live here happily, and the millions of people who have the best holidays of their lives here, year after year, don't count. Just all the people like the one I quoted earlier. Never been here in his life, yet he's an expert. 90% of the people that post on these threads fall in to that category. If all the happy phuket tourists could be bothered to post on forums, these threads would be lost among millions of positive ones.

I've always thought Phuket is a great place to live or have a holiday. I'm just back from 5 days in Bali and I have to say I was just so happy to be back on Phuket Island. Compared with Bali everywhere is just so neat & tidy (note I said - compared), the beaches here are all fantastic (without a doubt), and I can walk down the sidewalks here on Phuket (Yes I know it's not great, but Bali was impossible). We locals all know the problems with Phuket Island, and Thailand in general. Yes, sure the first time tourists will get scammed by touts, tuk tuks, jet skis, vendors. That just a fact of life as I have discovered in many holiday destinations all round the world. I am happy to call Phuket my home... :)

There are many non-Bhudist Thais working in Phuket as Tuk Tuk drivers. Most of them are scared to fight one on one,so they group beat tourists. The tailors are over aggressive, the food is disproportionately expensive, the girls want too much money. Above all, the business community seems to turn a blind eye to these problems,defends the perpetrators, and condemns critics.

Beaches, and access to the islands is all Phuket has going for it.

What on earth are you talking about? 'non-Bhuddist' Thais? Are you suggesting they are from the Muslim community? Who I yet to see driving tuk tuks/renting jetskis (get rid of the bloody things) and pimping out their wives/daughters for 'too much money'? And by the 'business community' do you mean the corrupt to the core government officials?

And your quote 'Beaches and access to the islands is all Phuket has going for it' laughable. What do you want? Jam on it?

Edited by krangeek

Regardless of what nationality is to blame the most; Phukhet's tourism industry is the old style Thailand with scams galore and touts all over. Of the two trips I've had their they were the worst experiences I've had in all of Thailand over several years of living, working and travelling here. They haven't sorted it and I will never return until they finally sort the horrendous tourist industry problems that exist. Such a pity as they really have some beautiful beaches and temples.

Tell your friends and co-workers, relatives and blog sites-"Don't go to Phukhet!" There are so many other nicer places here with genuine friendly people and beautiful beaches. There are so many great alternatives. The only way these fools will change is until the tourists and the ex-pats vote with their feet.

Simple: DON'T GO TO PHUKHET. They can keep it! :bah:

I'm very happy to read about all the people that won't be coming to Phuket. Good! Please don't! I don't like tourists anyway... It's nice and quiet without you!

Edited by Jimi007

Regardless of what nationality is to blame the most; Phukhet's tourism industry is the old style Thailand with scams galore and touts all over. Of the two trips I've had their they were the worst experiences I've had in all of Thailand over several years of living, working and travelling here. They haven't sorted it and I will never return until they finally sort the horrendous tourist industry problems that exist. Such a pity as they really have some beautiful beaches and temples.

Tell your friends and co-workers, relatives and blog sites-"Don't go to Phukhet!" There are so many other nicer places here with genuine friendly people and beautiful beaches. There are so many great alternatives. The only way these fools will change is until the tourists and the ex-pats vote with their feet.

Simple: DON'T GO TO PHUKHET. They can keep it! :bah:

Some people here are saying ther are "better places" and "better alternatives".

WHERE?

Please, NAME some of those places so that others can check it out for themselves

Edited by artinamerica

What you are reading through the 'snow' is that the Tourist Authority of Thailand has been discovered issuing completely fictitious statistics suggesting the sector is booming still. This heavily-financed propaganda protected the agency from the unassailable truth that tourism Thailand is in its' worst-ever doldrums and Thaksin and the redshirt nonsense have destroyed Thailand's once genuine reputation as one of the world's most hospitable nations - once a wonderful place to visit and enjoy. But the fat cats at the TAT are watching this painful truth emerge so of course they have to find the scapegoats - anyone other than the Thais who are in fact to blame. Top TAT officials earn millions masquerading as marketing gurus and most can't even spell ROLEX! The shit has hit the fan - the game is up again! And reason things are so bad...I mean - a 5' 2" Nepalese shirt-maker pimp attacking and beating hapless Europeans on the sidewalk in broad daylight for not coming into his owner's shop??? I rest my case!